I can't get along with my little brother

Lissa

Lats night,my parents and I had a huge fight over my little brother and the way I treat him.My parents claiming I display no affection for him,don't play with him,talk to him in an agressive manner-all things which are true.Me claiming that my brother is rude to me,answers me back,never obeys me and that I display no affcetion for him because I simply don't now how to do it.All things which are also true,at least from my point of view.

My relationship with him is quite intricate-I simply don't know how to act with him.We have a 9 year age gap,a gap which leaves me without knowing what role should I play with him-should I be like his second mom,or should I be like his sister-meaning I am entitled to fight with him,yell,argue but also play and cuddle?Technically,I am his big sister,and I know that,but I have a thing that makes me take responsability for every single person in my life,playing the role of a mother with many people.Things are just so easier with my little sister-I know whta role to play with her.She is just 5,so we have a huge age gap between us.I am a second mom to her-I teach her,I play with her,I hug her,I put my selfishness aside and control my lack of patience when I am with her because I want to give her a good education.With my brother,I oscilate between the two-"annoying big sis" vs "loving mother".I think my brother defines the type of sister I am-a terrible one-and the kind of mom I will be-a loving mom that sometimes loses her tmeper but neverthless,someone who is quite capable of raising a decent human being.I know my little brother has no fault in this,and he suffers a lot from this conflit,seeing that I am much more loving and patience with our sister than with him.But I somehow can't help it.My brother just messes with my buttons-in a way that few people are able to.We have completly different tempers.He is very calm and quite,whereas I am restless and impatience.He is always lost in his dreams world and whenever I talk to him,he just ignores me,or takes half an hour to answer me.I just feel like holding him by his shoulders and throwing against a wall,just so I can get any reaction from him!!!!:mad: Plus,he is very rude and loves to answer me back in a rude,sneaky manner and defy my autorithy-and he never does what I tell him to do either.We are simply very different.

In our synastry,I see our Moon/Mercury conjunctions in square,which right away tells of baci incompatibility.My Sun also squares his Mars,with my Mars falling on his Mars and Sun...so,no need to explain why he angers me so much.We have reversed nodes and my Chiron falls on his North Node,so I guess there's a lot we can learn from each other,but how are we supposed to grow together if we cannot get along???:(

My Pluto is also right opposed to his Jupiter/Saturn-so,a tendency to control him on my side,and a tendency to defy my autorithy on his.My Sun and Moon fall on his DC and his Moon/Mercury fall on mine,something which I find quite curious,though I am not sure about how to interpret this inside a brother/sister relationship...

BrotherSynastry.gif

Virinchi

atlast got rid of some laziness and a chart in my way

obviously saturn+rahu in 3rd house which is saturn's own house and aspected by retro jupiter will make bad relations with siblings

there's no way u can form a gud relation

Attachments

• lissa.JPG
    lissa.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 26

Lissa

Hi Virinchi,thank you for looking at this from a vedic perspective.So,that's just it?No chance for me and my brother?:(

katydid

Lissa said:
Hi Virinchi,thank you for looking at this from a vedic perspective.So,that's just it?No chance for me and my brother?:(

It seems like the 'purpose' of your relationship with each other is to learn to control your anger issues and to learn to 'express love' in spite of others ' pushing those buttons.' Having Mars conjunct Mars is a perfect symbol of that, especially conjunct sun and square your sun.

His Moon/Mercury is in cancer in your 7th, and opposed your Uranus/Neptune
in Cap. I think that you may sometimes misinterpret his feelings and his words, and instinctively 'cut him off', before hearing him out. His feelings are indeed 'hurt' by your aloofness, and what you see in him as rebelliousness, may in fact be defensiveness.
Your 1st house Capricorn conjunction could use some 'modifiyng' by his oppositional defiant behavior. See him as a tuning fork, helping you to declaw your first house a bit. He is actually helping you with future 7th house relationships, by showing you your own weaknesses when it comes to
emotional interactions.

Your karmic connection is spelled out by the reversed nodes. You are here to teach each other and coming from 'opposite places.' So it is hard to relate, but it is imperative, because it is not by chance that this is your little brother. :D
Your Pluto is opposing his Saturn/Jupiter conjunction. You sum it up nicely by saying he 'defies your authority.' But in a way, that is his job. He only respects the authority of beneficent figures in his life, and you have been the cold powerful authoritarian ruler. No wonder his moon/mercury in Cancer has shut down. You cannot control a cancer that is shut up inside his shell. Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to lure him out of his defensive mode, and teach him to trust you. That will force you to be in control of your Cappie 1st house, and not just shut down in a huff. :eek:

'Annoying big sis' IS the appropriate role, but it can only work if there is a foundation of LOVE coming through at the same time. Cut back on the 'annoying' part for now, and just be LOVING big sis. Ask him about things he cares about, hug him for no reason, do special little things he will appreciate, TAKE HIS SIDE OVER LITTLE SIS SOMETIMES. Show him your softer side that he has not recognized.:cool:

Lissa

Katy,I cannot tell you how much I loved your post!Every song word you wrote just resonated so much,I can hardly explain.And you are absolutely right-I know I am harsh on him and he has probably shut off to me,in a typical Cancer Moon manner.Which was wise of him,considering my response to all this mess is to yell and get mad.

I don't know how to express love for him.I obviously love him a lot,or else I wouldn't even mind posting all this.I don't know how would my life be without him to make me get mad and release some steam from time to time.But I must confess I have a problem with physical displays of afection.Even with my little sister,it's hard.I think I'll skip the huging and kissing part if you don't mind:eek:

Being nicer and more understanding with him,OK,check.Being his big sis instead of a second mom,check.:)

Cheers and many thanks,
Lissa

katydid

I am glad it resonated with you. There is only one tiny red flag for me in your reply however. Here goes, You are a Pisces and you don't like to kiss and hug?

Okay, gotcha. Sun square Mars in Gemini/6th. But as I see it, looking through
other synastry, THAT is precisely what he is here to teach you. maybe you are not ready yet, but at some point you will need to learn how to hug and kiss and cuddle , in spite of your awkward feelings about it. It is the KEY to your future satisfaction in relationships, and now is the time to get past that :mad:
stubborn Mars which withholds pleasure to spite oneself.

You deserve the LOVE and you deserve the physical interaction that rewards yourself with LOVE. Do not deny your sibs nor yourself that healing interaction. It is powerful magic.:sunny: :pisces:

Virinchi

Lissa said:

i dont say its just that.
i agree with katydid about 'purpose of relations'

infact purpose of of birth itself is to nullify all those relations
be it sibling, spouse, friend or enemy

Lissa

katydid said:
I am glad it resonated with you. There is only one tiny red flag for me in your reply however. Here goes, You are a Pisces and you don't like to kiss and hug?

Okay, gotcha. Sun square Mars in Gemini/6th. But as I see it, looking through
other synastry, THAT is precisely what he is here to teach you. maybe you are not ready yet, but at some point you will need to learn how to hug and kiss and cuddle , in spite of your awkward feelings about it. It is the KEY to your future satisfaction in relationships, and now is the time to get past that :mad:
stubborn Mars which withholds pleasure to spite oneself.

You deserve the LOVE and you deserve the physical interaction that rewards yourself with LOVE. Do not deny your sibs nor yourself that healing interaction. It is powerful magic.:sunny: :pisces:

...Sun square Mars,and Aries Moon/Mercury/Venus,and Venus square Saturn...:rolleyes: No wonder I'm not your typical cuddly Pisces,only when I have a boyfriend,and it still takes me a while to open up and finally be able to freely cuddle,hug and kiss.

Your words are very wise,just like in your 1st post.Maybe my brothers Cancer Moon was put into this family to teach me the importance of openly displaying afection and helding back my tongue before I jump and say something stupid that can hurt someone else's feelings.

Having an older sister can be a wonderful thing,I believe,I've just messed up everything but hopefully I can still correct it.But it's hard,I don't see myself as being anybody's sister-only someone's second mom(blame my heavy Saturn for this...).

I don't see your pisces sun square mars in gemini too much of a challenge, cos they are both 'mutable' signs and they will adapt, it just suggests on occasion that you may be wilful but then change and adapt to circumstances.

Your Capp Asc and planets in the 1st are your main problem natally and synastry wise. To read up more on Capricorn Asc, planets etc
http://www.cafeastrology.com/zodiaccapricorn.html

This will always be difficult relationships cos there are 4quincunxs in there, Venus to Asc not too bad, Uranus to Chiron. Now uranus to sun and venus.

If I paste the natal interpretations, you should be able to adapt between two people. You being the uranus person
Sun Quincunx (Inconjunct) Uranus
Your self expressive urges are usually misunderstood by people and this creates frustrations for you. As you disconnect from the need to be understood and get more in contact with the will to achieve positive results from your actions, your true self emerges from the core of your personality. You grow by learning to leave well enough alone.
Venus Quincunx (Inconjunct) Uranus
Learning to let go of the past means being willing to release relationships you have outgrown. Further, you need to reevaluate the way you imprison yourself in mindless routines, then revolt against them. Different is not improvement necessarily, yet change is integral to development. Learning to abruptly alter circumstances without emotional turmoil is the way of growth. You need freedom through relationships, not freedom from relationships.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

Now the major problem is your Uranus/Neptune opposite his moon, very difficult.
When the Moon is conjunct, square, quincunx, or opposition Uranus in synastry, the initial attraction can be exciting in an unconventional way. The Moon person feels a little off-center around the Uranus person, generally in a good way, but it depends greatly on the temperament of the Moon person. The Uranus person somehow enters into the Moon person's life suddenly, and feelings that are stirred and aroused in Moon can be powerful.
Uranus interchart aspects create an electric chemistry that feels exciting and fascinating, and seem to promise a great time when there is an attraction in place. However, there can be a very unsettled feeling between the two people, and marked periods of vacillation between emotional closeness and emotional distance. The Moon person might complain that when he or she is feeling needy or simply desiring closeness, the Uranus person is absent (either physically or emotionally). The Uranus person might complain that the Moon person is too conservative, too domestic, or too somber at times. If the couple lives together, living arrangements are bound to be unusual, and there can be a marked lack of routine that is most unsettling to the Moon person. Even if this is the only hard aspect of Uranus in synastry, or if the couple has an overall sense of stability with one another, the presence of this aspect in their synastry will show up as a tendency to argue over domestic arrangements and routines, as well as a rollercoaster ride on an emotional level. Rebelliousness, especially on the part of the Uranus individual, with regards to conventional routines or domestic arrangements, as well as emotional intimacy, is a theme in this relationship. If hard interaspects of Uranus with personal planets appear elsewhere, the relationship probably started suddenly and developed quickly. This unexpected or erratic quality re-surfaces throughout the relationship as intermittent periods of nervousness and periodic disruptions.

http://www.cafeastrology.com/synastry/moon_uranus_aspects.html

Challenging aspects: Moon square or opposition other person's Neptune
There is a tendency to misunderstand or misread each other's signals, so you will have to spend more time processing hurt feelings or perceived slights. Be careful of addictive behaviors and habits or too stressful environments or activities. This aspect can lean toward avoidance or neglectful behaviors. Make sure you are always truthful with each other and, even when things are difficult, be willing to express your feelings openly. It's the only way to preserving your deep connection and protecting the natural sweetness of your partnership.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/synastry/moon_neptune_aspects.html

Hope this helps...

Lissa

Hello there Astrologer!

Thank you for your reply.Do you think that my Capricorn 1st house planets make me too bossy?Being bossy surely is a problem with me,I just wasn't sure if it would be a problem withing this relationship.

I am not too worried about your quincunxes,I would be more worried if they were between our personal planets.

At leats our personal planets share the same modality,so I do think there is a chance for us,I just don't know how to work out things for now...

Hugs,
Lissa

Lissa said:
Hello there Astrologer!

Thank you for your reply.Do you think that my Capricorn 1st house planets make me too bossy?Being bossy surely is a problem with me,I just wasn't sure if it would be a problem withing this relationship.

I am not too worried about your quincunxes,I would be more worried if they were between our personal planets.

At leats our personal planets share the same modality,so I do think there is a chance for us,I just don't know how to work out things for now...

Hugs,
Lissa

Well those quincunxs are from personal planets 'his' sun/venus so re read...

Uranus in the First House

[deleted overly-long copyrighted text - Moderator]

http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/uranusinhouses.html

Neptune in 1st House
You are yielding, gentle, and impressionable. You tend to "melt" into your surroundings, and do not make a very powerful, vivid impression on others. Especially while young, you may not have a very clear sense of identity.

Sensitive and compassionate, you do not enjoy fighting and no matter what you profess, you are a pacifist at heart.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/neptuneinhouses.html

Saturn in the First House

[deleted overly-long copyrighted text - Moderator]

http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/saturninhouses.html

Without seeing the natal properly, the chart you posted doesn't show the degrees, so I can't see your natal aspects from Uranus, Saturn & Neptune, but I have given you enough websites links for you to research them...;)

Perhaps it would be appropriate to research more of your Cappi planets
Your Capp Asc and planets in the 1st are your main problem natally and synastry wise. To read up more on Capricorn Asc, planets etc
http://www.cafeastrology.com/zodiaccapricorn.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Lissa

Thank you for the links,but I have looked at them myself in at leats 2 years.Cafeastrology,Astrologyweekly,Astro.com,I've read the interpretation of every single aspect of my chart in those charts in another couple more websites I can't even name,I printed them out into a 20-something file and read the whole thing at least a dozen times.It is your personal expertise as an astrologer/astrology student that I am interested in.

Nowadays I trust more in the personal opinion(and aknowledge)of the people I find around the forums,with their many levels of astrological experience,then on the astrology cookbooks I can find around the web.Which is why I rarely turn to them.

Kind regards,
Lissa

estrella

Your Sun and his Moon are squared. He sees you as too domineering and insensitive. You see him as too sensitive and passive-agressive. Also, your Mars and his are conjunct, meaning that you two have a similar way of expressing aggression.

The Sun-Moon square is a difficult aspect for any relationship. He is only 9. Ultimately, you are the much older sibling, so the responsibility is primarily on you to deal with it-until he is old enough to take more responsibility.

Catatonia

Lissa, I personally think that as a sibling, any sibling, especially an older one, you aren't entitled to be a jerk to your brother. I'm being as blunt as possible. No human being deserves to be treated badly just because they are a younger sibling (or an older one). Your brother is there for you to mentor him and treat him kindly, never calling him names and never laying a hand on him brutally. You must NOT be a second mother because he already has a mother and so do you, so why do you feel you have the right to control him? You don't.

How would you like it if you had an older brother or sister that looked down on you, tried to boss you around, give you no freedom and control you by yelling and fighting and beating you? I doubt you'd like it.

So Lissa, if you want your brother to listen to you, be affectionate to you, and get along with you in the future, maybe you should stop trying to control him just because you think you are entitled to it by age. Being 9 years older than him means nothing. In my opinion, you're just too lazy to make a connection to him and feel jealous of him because now your parents give him more attention than they give you.

As truthfully as possible,

Catatonia

Lissa

Hi there Catatonia,thank you for the honesty;I appreciate it.

I have never beaten my brother though;I have grounded him,but not beaten him.I am not jealous with him either,so I don't think that is the issue here;we have a 5 year old sister who is the star of the family(she is very afectionate and demonstrative,gets a lot of atention from everyone)and I am not jealous of her and we get along just fine.I am her second mother.

I think I should mother my brother because well,that is what I do-I mother people.I am a second mother to my little sister,why can't I be a second mom to my brother too?I tell my little sister what to do,I teach her,I help her out with school projects.I am not at all comfortable with the age gap between me and my brother,9 years are a long time yet not long enough for me to be fully able to parent my brother like I do with my sister.I don't know what to do with him.

In my deffense I shall say that my brother and I aren't fighting 24/7;we do play games,wrestle and joke around,it's just that the times when I am frustrated with him are heavier than the times when we are happy together.

I think Estrella is onto something;I look agressive and harsh to him,he looks passive-agressive to me.But I am the older sibling so it is up to me.

Awakened_Pisces

Don't mind me rehashing a few things:

Miss Authority:

As a Capricorn Rising, obviously the latter part of your life(your future) is to be the boss. The proud golden horse standing above his peers. The signifance of this leadership however is high.

Along with Saturn in Aquarius(We'll be admitful and acknowledge this as a generational trait. But the fact that it lands in your FIRST house makes it worth mnentioning). Uranus is in his leadership role in Capricorn. Along with the true node and your incarnation is to obviously lead by example.

You probably feel like a second mother because well, astrologically you ARE:

-You have a 3rd house conjunction of Sun and the Moon

-And Venus is in her Joy in Taurus, ruler of the IC(4th house of home and interpersonal feelings).

It's clear that your love as a Pisces stems from your love with your siblings, your love with those close to you. That's where most of that lovey dovey energy comes from. So what's the problem with the baby bro :).

I'd look at Your Pluto-Square-His Saturn for one thing. This kind of aspect challenges authority. In particular, both sides of the authority. Saturn likes to rule by structure and disicipline. Whereas Pluto loves tor rule with sheer power and overwhelming the other person. Hence IMO is why the age difference is such a big factor. This is how Pluto Square Saturn plays out. He himself must lead his own life, but you who are bigger, stronger, older exhibits unfortunately more authority.

So while he grows older and searches for more authority, he will never catch up to you, you will always be significantly older. The challenge here, is to not let your authority constrict him, but teach him. Guide the independent Saturn.

This is further emphasised with Uranus also badly aspecting that Pluto of yours, he's trying to break free from the grip. But the age difference is just too much for him to do so. So it's up to you to let him explore.

That's the basic of this whole thing: You're a person who naturally both cares and yet rules with authority. But this young man will seek his own independence, it is up to you to care but to know when to exert your authority and when not to do so. Learn when the boundaries are crossed. This is what, this significantly younger soul will be able to teach you.

How to exert and control authority, not just swing the sword around whenever you feel like swinging it.

All Bros and Sis's fight, but all share a beautiful harmony:

You stated that you play with him, etc. Hence therefore proving a tired old adage: We all can and should get along ^_^.

Chiron Sextile Saturn: Chiron, the teacher the advisor. The one who assigns your personal challenges in life to become the soul you were meant to be, got assistance from the soul of another. Your brother's desire for freedom and his own independence will show you how to show kindness as well as authority. The two go hand in hand, they aren't alone.

Jupiter Trine Sun: Jupiter is the planet of enlargement, the planet of luck and benevolence. In this situation, trining your sun. You probably feel very lucky and very happy to be with your little brother. All siblings feel that special happiness that cannot and never will be taken away. This trine represents that special bond that only siblings can have.

Neptune Sextile Sun:

Pretty much the same thing, he's a cute little darling isn't he?

Basically, the lesson here is: Your not his "mother"(Though you want to be and your astrological energies will cry out for you to be). Youre his "sister", your the one he wants a bond with. The astrological lesson is to open a bond, to trust, to love and to care.

Here, you have someone who has lived in your house, who knows you as well as you know yourself. And you know him, as well as he knows himself. The timing is just right for you to learn the true meaning of love. :)

So romantic and cute :D.

So, what does he have to gain from this karmic relationship with you:

Look no further then His Chiron in his 3rd house. Possibly in a past life, he may have been dominated by siblings or he may have dominated siblings. This time around, he is to learn to treat his siblings with respect and appreciation. Basically, he gets to be in the other person's shoes. See how you like it when the whip is whipped on you :D.

Along with Cancer being on the Midheaven and Moon in it's rulership, in a conjunction with Mercury(Higher mind, thinking). The True Node is in it as well.

Your Brother must also learn to be kind and forgiving and to relate to siblings. For you both, this is the chance to work on emotional karma and stress release. And a new relationship for the both of you will emerge.

But Lissa, in order for the karma to be released, you the elder must release yours first. You must strive to learn when to be the authoritve Capricorn and when to be the loving Pisces.

Catatonia

Lissa said:
Hi there Catatonia,thank you for the honesty;I appreciate it.

I have never beaten my brother though;I have grounded him,but not beaten him.I am not jealous with him either,so I don't think that is the issue here;we have a 5 year old sister who is the star of the family(she is very afectionate and demonstrative,gets a lot of atention from everyone)and I am not jealous of her and we get along just fine.I am her second mother.

I think I should mother my brother because well,that is what I do-I mother people.I am a second mother to my little sister,why can't I be a second mom to my brother too?I tell my little sister what to do,I teach her,I help her out with school projects.I am not at all comfortable with the age gap between me and my brother,9 years are a long time yet not long enough for me to be fully able to parent my brother like I do with my sister.I don't know what to do with him.

In my deffense I shall say that my brother and I aren't fighting 24/7;we do play games,wrestle and joke around,it's just that the times when I am frustrated with him are heavier than the times when we are happy together.

I think Estrella is onto something;I look agressive and harsh to him,he looks passive-agressive to me.But I am the older sibling so it is up to me.

That is the point you're missing, Lissa. I'm sure he is passive-aggressive to you, and he is that way because he's resentful of you trying to control him.

Lissa, is your mother not involved in lives of your brother and little sister? Because if she is, then I'd suggest you have some very heavy control issues.

Maybe you should consider being a sibling rather than a mother, because when they grow up, they might disown you completely--especially your brother. Then you'll watch your brother treat his girlfriends terribly because of his frustration with you.

The lives of your siblings are not up to you and they never were. Their childhoods are up to their parents (primarily mother, since she gave birth to them). You don't need to be a mother to teach your siblings, you don't need to be a mother to guide them. I think you should try to figure out where your issues with control and manipulation come in. Do you feel like your parents/mother didn't give you enough attention so now you're trying to give that attention you never got to your siblings?

Just trying to be understood,

Catatonia

Awakened_Pisces

Catatonia: I don't think this is an issue of control and manipulation, look at that stacked 3rd house of hers, with a Sun-Moon conjunction.

This is a case of her putting too much of a burden on herself, as well as heavy motherly energy. She'll be a great mom, but it's not her time yet.

I don't know how to do the cropping thing so excuse me on that :rolleyes:. But if we were looking for control, power plays then I think we look at Pluto. And maybe Saturn, maybe both.

But Pluto is not only in his rulership in Scorpio, but he isn't negatively aspected. Albeit Saturn is a part of a T-Square with Venus and Jupiter.

To me, this is a thing about learning how to relate. And learning how to really be a part of a family.

Attachments

• Melissa's chart.gif
    Melissa's chart.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Catatonia

ConfusedPisces,

This is in fact an issue of control and manipulation and aggression/rage. After all, her little brother's Moon-Mercury conjunction in Cancer is much stronger than Lissa's Moon-Mercury conjunction in Aries, and they are tightly squared, showing Lissa's aggressive Arian energy trying to dominate her little brother's, but not quite working out.

Lissa's Mars in Gemini is also tightly conjunct her little brother's Mars, adding onto the conflict, but unfortunately her Mars is also opposite his Pluto, and we all know what harsh Mars-Pluto aspects bring with them.

Lissa's Venus is also in detriment, while her brother's Venus and Mars are conjunct his Sun (and combust). So in reality, Lissa doesn't really even know how to love in this situation because she's too busy sending out her anger at someone who doesn't deserve it.

Lissa should instead be a better role model, and children WILL be children--after all--her brother is 9 years old. Lissa's inability to understand this is her own immaturity coming out. Lissa, you're only 18 years old. Do the better deed and realize that sibling abuse is unnecessary and wrong. When your siblings grow up, they will thank you for being kind to them--but if you continue to be such a person that tries to dominate them and act like their mother, they will resent you.

It's absurd to me that you'd even want to act to them like a second mother considering you're still a little baby yourself. It's ridiculous. You have a lot of growing up to do yourself--I wish I'd looked at the birthdate in your chart earlier.

Catatonia

estrella

Confused and Catatonia, I think that you are both right to an extent.
What I see in this chart is that she has Venus in the 4th, just over the cusp of the 3rd, as the focus of a T square. The other two planets are Saturn in the 1st (she comes on authoritative) and Jupiter in the 7th (she overdoes the whole affection thing). So, the 3rd-4th house cusp (siblings, early homelife) is the focus of this tension. Also, Ceres has progressed into her 9th house-nurturing is part of her life philosophy right now-only she's taking it a bit too far as is evidenced in the T-square.
I do think that it is a control issue. Little bro rebels against her 1st house Saturn and her overbearing "mother hen" routine. Another issue that I see is that by progression, Saturn will grow closer to conjuncting her AC as she gets older, which means that her authoritarian ways will become more pronounced with age, which will also have repurcussions in her romantic relationships.
I see, also by progression, that her relationship with her siblings will be complicated and tense for many years. Eventually, Saturn will progress into her 12th-which will encourage her to restrain the authoritarian impulses a bit and possibly heal the relationship with the brother when they are much older.