Indicators of Higher education?

Blackempress

Starting a new thread from my initial curiosity of how Education is determined through a chart?
What Houses do we look at & how is higher education or No education deciphered?

Look at the 5th house. %th house is the house of education and creativity. positive planets, aspects and signs like Turus or sagittarius are good indicators of higher education.

Peregrine_Moon

The third house represents early education and communication/learning style in general. The ninth house describes breadth of mind, including higher education, philosophy, religion, astrology, the law, languages other than one's mother tongue, long-distance travel, publishing and sports. The 9th house is the traditional domicile of Sagittarius and is ruled by Jupiter.

Important indicators of education include planets in the 3rd and 9th houses, the rulers of those houses and aspects to them. The 10th house and its ruler may be related to education applied in public life.

chris10

What if someone has an empty 9th house ???
What should he/she look for?
I have an empty 9th.
I have graduated from university and I'm currently even taking more psych classes.
ruler of my 9th venus ( in 11 th)conj ruler of my 10th mercury (in 11th house)
My ... romantic interest is a doctor and has empty 9th. The ruler of his 9th moon is in his 8th conj vertex.

Last edited:

d00dle

The third house represents early education and communication/learning style in general. The ninth house describes breadth of mind, including higher education, philosophy, religion, astrology, the law, languages other than one's mother tongue, long-distance travel, publishing and sports. The 9th house is the traditional domicile of Sagittarius and is ruled by Jupiter.

Important indicators of education include planets in the 3rd and 9th houses, the rulers of those houses and aspects to them. The 10th house and its ruler may be related to education applied in public life.

gotta be the 9th house! i have mars there (the ruler of the 1st, Scorpio rising). I graduated from a 4yrs university (If it counts as a higher eduction). Still not done yet, I went back and studied computer tech, then photography, and currently in school for dental...i tend to get bored very easy though and already plan to drop everything altogether. I'm living in another country right now (across the globe from where I was born). It's in the stars...hehe.

tautomer

gotta be the 9th house! i have mars there (the ruler of the 1st, Scorpio rising). I graduated from a 4yrs university (If it counts as a higher eduction). Still not done yet, I went back and studied computer tech, then photography, and currently in school for dental...i tend to get bored very easy though and already plan to drop everything altogether. I'm living in another country right now (across the globe from where I was born). It's in the stars...hehe.

I can relate to this.

I have mars (cancer) in the 9th and it's conjunct my MC. I also graduated from college in just 4 years, and went straight to graduate school (where I am now). I had issues with school when I was young (saturn in the 3rd), but as I moved up it became easier and more natural because I felt like I have more control over how I learn.

I also went very far away for school. I grew up in New Jersey, went to college in Montana, and now I am in graduate school in Oregon. Pretty much as far away as you can go and still be in the country! I just felt pulled out here. I listened, and I was completely right with my decisions.

I do get bored easy, but I know where my long term goals are so I keep aiming for them even if I get bored. As such, I don't waver with my plans. At worst I distract myself too much and my grades dip a bit, but when that happens I panic and bounce right back.

Higher education has come "easy" to me, and the higher I go the more natural it feels (I'm aiming for PhD). Not to say school hasn't been a challenge. My goodness it certainly has! It's a good challenge though. It means I am learning and getting a ton out of it :)

Last edited:

Moog

What if someone has an empty 9th house ???
What should he/she look for?
I have an empty 9th.
I have graduated from university and I'm currently even taking more psych classes.
ruler of my 9th venus ( in 11 th)conj ruler of my 10th mercury (in 11th house)
My ... romantic interest is a doctor and has empty 9th. The ruler of his 9th moon is in his 8th conj vertex.

Look at the ruler.

I think the ruler is more important than anything in the houses. They are important, but they aren't the house caretakers, they aren't making the decisions for the house.

Zuri

I have a B.A. degree, as well as an advanced degree. Using my chart as an example:

Zuri+Natal+Chart.gif

-- Multiple planets in the 9th House / House of Philosophy (which rules higher education), some good aspects to the house

-- An education-related ruler (for me, it's the analytical sign of Virgo) ruling the 9th House cusp

-- Multiple house rulerships which link with the 9th House / House of Philosophy (unless your 9th House is intercepted, you'll have at least one house rulership involving the 9th House)

-- Mercury (which represents thoughts and communication) is well aspected

-- Sun conjunct Mercury, which is an intellectual aspect

-- Sun parallel Mercury, which is an intellectual aspect (that's not on this natal chart; check your declinations for this one)

-- Moon sextile Mercury, which means a love of obtaining knowledge

-- Decent number of planets in Air signs, so like to utilize intellectual power

I don't have it emphasized in my own chart, but others with advanced degrees have a really good 3rd House / House of Communications (multiple planets, house rulerships linked to it, good aspects to it). This house is ruled by Gemini, and oversees intelligence.

In addition, check your Mercury persona chart. Some things may not show up in your natal chart (aka Sun persona chart), but will be illustrated in your Mercury persona chart. E.g., my Mercury persona chart shows 3rd House planetary activity, although my natal chart does not.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Look at the ruler.

I think the ruler is more important than anything in the houses. They are important, but they aren't the house caretakers, they aren't making the decisions for the house.

I was going to say look at the ruler too. But I disagree (sorry Moog) about the importance of planets in the houses. These will have a more immediate/important impact on the matters of the house for the very reason that they are there. If you are the house owner (ruler,) and you are renting to a tenant (planet) then that planet is living there. You can't always control if the tenent's going to gouge holes in the walls and mess the place up.

chris10

I was going to say look at the ruler too. But I disagree (sorry Moog) about the importance of planets in the houses. These will have a more immediate/important impact on the matters of the house for the very reason that they are there. If you are the house owner (ruler,) and you are renting to a tenant (planet) then that planet is living there. You can't always control if the tenent's going to gouge holes in the walls and mess the place up.

A friend of mine has scorpio on the cusp of 9th and scorpio's ruler, pluto, in the 9th making a trine to her moon. She's a psychologist... makes sense, doesn't it?
What if someone has a Completely empty 9th? What's with that?

Last edited:

Moog

That would be the case with say, a strong inimical malefic in the house of a weak ruler. But a strong ruler sets the rules for the house, and doesn't let things get out of hand. The landlord sets the agenda; what wallpaper you can have, whether you can keep pets etc. Whether planets within the house behave well or badly is another judgement.

tsmall

Premium Member
A friend of mine has scorpio on the cusp of 9th and scorpio's ruler, pluto, in the 9th making a trne to her moon. She's a psychologist... makes sense, doesn't it?
What if someone has a Completely empty 9th? What's with that?

I don't look at Pluto, as I study traditional astrology. Mars is the traditional ruler of Scorpio, so I would want to know what he is doing. I would want to know if Scorpio is the 9th sign from the ASC, since I use whole sign houses. Other members know more about Pluto, so they would be better to ask.

Having an empty house is normal. There are seven visible planets and then the three outers, so even if you study modern astrology it is impossible to have a planet in every house. And if you have more than one planet in a house then that means another to be empty. In that case you would look at the ruler of the house as well as the exaltation ruler if there is one.

An example. Gemini is the 9th in my chart, ruled by Mercury. I have Mercury in the 1st (in Joy) close to the ASC so angular, but he is combust and stationing retrograde. The Sun can be considered an "accidental malefic" because it burns planets that are close to him. Mercury is super smart in my chart, and this is reinforced by Jupiter on the ASC as well (natural ruler of the 9th, life long student.) But Mercury's condition, combust and stationing retrograde, means that he's not so good at ruling his houses. I went to college on a scholarship. But I never finished.

tsmall

Premium Member
That would be the case with say, a strong inimical malefic in the house of a weak ruler. But a strong ruler sets the rules for the house, and doesn't let things get out of hand. The landlord sets the agenda; what wallpaper you can have, whether you can keep pets etc. Whether planets within the house behave well or badly is another judgement.

Well, then we need to be able to define a strong malefic. Any planet can be a malefic in a chart. And what if a strong ruler cannot see the house it rules?

Planets in houses traditionally have been given more weight than the rulers. For example annual profections. Valens counts a planet in the house as more important, so this year when my profected ASC entered Taurus, my chart was handed to Saturn who lives there, and not to Venus.

But you do make a very important point, Moog. We can say yeah, you need to look at the ruler, and yeah, you need to look at the planets in the house, and then you really need to look at the condition of both before you can make any kind of judgement. :)

chris10

I don't look at Pluto, as I study traditional astrology. Mars is the traditional ruler of Scorpio, so I would want to know what he is doing. I would want to know if Scorpio is the 9th sign from the ASC, since I use whole sign houses. Other members know more about Pluto, so they would be better to ask.

Having an empty house is normal. There are seven visible planets and then the three outers, so even if you study modern astrology it is impossible to have a planet in every house. And if you have more than one planet in a house then that means another to be empty. In that case you would look at the ruler of the house as well as the exaltation ruler if there is one.

An example. Gemini is the 9th in my chart, ruled by Mercury. I have Mercury in the 1st (in Joy) close to the ASC so angular, but he is combust and stationing retrograde. The Sun can be considered an "accidental malefic" because it burns planets that are close to him. Mercury is super smart in my chart, and this is reinforced by Jupiter on the ASC as well (natural ruler of the 9th, life long student.) But Mercury's condition, combust and stationing retrograde, means that he's not so good at ruling his houses. I went to college on a scholarship. But I never finished.

tsmall thanks for the so explanatory reply :smile:
I really appreciate this

Peregrine_Moon

Empty houses don't really exist in the sense that nothing happens in them. Always check the ruler of a house and look at aspects it forms with other planets and angles in the chart. Those aspects will be expressed in the house the planet rules. Transits to the ruling planet will also affect house-related things. And when the outer planets transit through a house, they also influence house-related events, though more subtly.

However, houses and their interests are more strongly emphasized when there are planets in them and especially when the Sun and/or the house ruler is there.

In my own case, Leo is on the cusp of my 9th house and my Midheaven is in Virgo. Pluto and the Sun are conjunct in Virgo, and Mercury, in Leo, conjuncts both of them. The Sun and Mercury are in mutual reception. I don't live in the country in which I was born and I've spent a lot of time in another country, as well. University was like an enormous sandbox for me; I played in it for a long, long time. I'm competent in several modern languages and some dead ones, too. I'm a great researcher and teacher. I've worked in the publishing industry. Nowadays, I do several interrelated thing and write about all of them. The 9th is the power-house in my chart.

Last edited:

Moog

Well, then we need to be able to define a strong malefic. Any planet can be a malefic in a chart. And what if a strong ruler cannot see the house it rules?

It's better if the ruler is in his house or sees it by aspect.

I'll let you all decide how you determine whether a planet is a problem in a house or not, because it's complicated, would be lengthy to explain and my practice is probably pretty alien to most readers of this thread.

Planets in houses traditionally have been given more weight than the rulers. For example annual profections. Valens counts a planet in the house as more important, so this year when my profected ASC entered Taurus, my chart was handed to Saturn who lives there, and not to Venus.

I can't really speak on that, I did study profections, but it all went out of my head.

But you do make a very important point, Moog. We can say yeah, you need to look at the ruler, and yeah, you need to look at the planets in the house, and then you really need to look at the condition of both before you can make any kind of judgement. :)

It concerns me more that people seem to think of the house ruler after every other dang thing in the chart... I orient my own practice around the house rulers. Of course it matters what's happening in the houses, but If I want to know about the outcome of a house, I find the ruler usually has more say than an occupant. That's an opinion based on my own observations.

chris10

Empty houses don't really exist in the sense that nothing happens in them. Always check the ruler of a house and look at aspects it forms with other planets and angles in the chart. Those aspects will be expressed in the house the planet rules. Transits to the ruling planet will also affect house-related things. And when the outer planets transit through a house, they also influence house-related events, though more subtly.

However, houses and their interests are more strongly emphasized when there are planets in them and especially when the Sun and/or the house ruler is there.

In my own case, Leo is on the cusp of my 9th house and my Midheaven is in Virgo. Pluto and the Sun are conjunct in Virgo, and Mercury, in Leo, conjuncts both of them. The Sun and Mercury are in mutual reception. I don't live in the country in which I was born and I've spent a lot of time in another country, as well. University like an enormous sandbox for me; I played in it for a long, long time. I'm competent in several modern languages and some dead ones, too. I'm a great researcher and teacher. I've worked in the publishing industry. Nowadays, I do several interrelated thing and write about all of them. The 9th is the power-house in my chart.

Thanks Peregrine_Moon.
This makes sense.
I checked transits.
I did go off to univers during transits of outer
planets to the ruler of my 9th.

Just realised that the ruler of my 9th
aspects the rulers of almost every house :surprised:
Ruler of 9th venus conjucts ruler of 1st virgo
and ruler of 10th gemini.
Ruler of 2nd (and 9th) is also venus,
guess this means I make money through
what I studied at univers, true.
Ruler of 3rd wide sextile to ruler of 9th.
Ruler of 4th oppose ruler of 9th
Ruler of 5th semisquar ruler of 9th
Ruler of 6th neptune trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 7th trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 8th mars trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 10th conjucts ruler of 9th
Ruler of 11th squares ruler of 9th
Ruler of 12th conjucts ruler of 9th

This makes sense.

A few years after I had finished univ
I went back and continued studying part-time
(in a completely different field)
Now I'm into this again...

zoumizzouzou

Hmm... I'm not really sure.

I have Moon, Uranus, and Neptune in III Capricorn

Sun, Mercury and Vesta in IX Cancer, here is my reasoning for mentioning Vesta: Vesta in the 9th House: This is the house of long journeys, both mental and physical. This includes higher education. If you are studying for an advanced degree, make sure to allow extra time in the schedule for rest. You can only be on a long trip for a certain length of time. Stay away from home too long and you will get drained. Wherever Vesta falls in the birthchart will show the area in which we are most likely to be committed to a purpose.

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Thanks Peregrine_Moon.
This makes sense.
I checked transits.
I did go off to univers during transits of outer
planets to the ruler of my 9th.

Just realised that the ruler of my 9th
aspects the rulers of almost every house :surprised:
Ruler of 9th venus conjucts ruler of 1st virgo
and ruler of 10th gemini.
Ruler of 2nd (and 9th) is also venus,
guess this means I make money through
what I studied at univers, true.
Ruler of 3rd wide sextile to ruler of 9th.
Ruler of 4th oppose ruler of 9th
Ruler of 5th semisquar ruler of 9th
Ruler of 6th neptune trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 7th trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 8th mars trines ruler of 9th
Ruler of 10th conjucts ruler of 9th
Ruler of 11th squares ruler of 9th
Ruler of 12th conjucts ruler of 9th

This makes sense.

A few years after I had finished univ
I went back and continued studying part-time
(in a completely different field)
Now I'm into this again...

What seems to make sense about this is that Venus is the most heavily aspected planet in your chart. :surprised: