Is Horary "like" Tarot?

virgo18

I mean if it is trustful as natal chart or SR are?

When you ask an horary question, you have to make a chart with the date and hour of the question. Like making a natal chart of the question.
If you remake the same question a month later, the chart will tell you something different. Even if you remake the question two hours later.
I think is like in terms of fortune. Do you?
I make several questions here in the horary section, and I receive yes-no answers, so I am again as If I wouldn't make any question. So I decided to let the answer in Life's hands.

Do you trust horary?
yes? no? why?

What are your opinions and experiences about horary? I want to know more because I am based of what I seen. And I don't know how to use horary. And I want to learn

RayAustin

It's better, especially for day to day inquiries and you don't need the natal chart to confirm anything. Remember lots of people don't know their exact birth times.

Horary is great to learn, but you will need a good understanding of traditional astrology before you can start. It requires lots of reading and note taking and practice; so good skills in reading comprehension are a must (I have never been the greatest at math, at least I have great reading skills) :smile:. I would say it's more scholarly than Tarot.

dr. farr

When you ask an horary question, you have to make a chart with the date and hour of the question. Like making a natal chart of the question.
If you remake the same question a month later, the chart will tell you something different. Even if you remake the question two hours later.
I think is like in terms of fortune. Do you?
I make several questions here in the horary section, and I receive yes-no answers, so I am again as If I wouldn't make any question. So I decided to let the answer in Life's hands.

Do you trust horary?
yes? no? why?

What are your opinions and experiences about horary? I want to know more because I am based of what I seen. And I don't know how to use horary. And I want to learn

(Following are my personal opinions ONLY)

-yes I believe it as trustful as a natal or SR; however, I believe natal and SR (and profections) give much more depth and insight in general (about general matters) than horary-horary gives more depth relative to specific (usually daily life type) questions; also advice-request horary can give specific advice about what to do in a particular situation (natal based charts cannot do this)

-horary questions about the same subject cannot be reliably re-asked until time has gone by: if re-asked before the horary's likely time frame has elapsed-or until the situation which occasioned the first horary has changed-the prematurely re-asked same/similar question will evoke an unreliable answer from the Cosmos.

-I trust (the reliability) of horary as much as any other type of astrological method of investigation, analysis or prediction (of trends/likely outcomes)
However, the conditions pre-requisite for horary divination must be observed: standard horary has a list of strictures and considerations before judgement which should be followed for the horary to be reliable (trustworthy); in the alternative methods I use in horary, I also have a couple of basic requirements that have to be met, otherwise I would consider the horary to be unreliable (these are, most importantly: no South Node in the rising sign on the ascendant; secondly, the ascendant degree must be at least 1 degree and not more than 29 degrees of the sign)

-my experiences with horary have been satisfying, although prior to my learning the alternative horary methods I use I had abandoned standard (traditionalist) horary as beyond my mental capacity to understand and apply. Most of my experience has been with medical horary (I am a practitioner of homeopathic medicine) My experience with other branches of horary like relationship, legal, business, career, travel, residence, has been limited (only several hundred of these types of horaries over the past couple of years) One must realize that specialization in certain types of horary questions, definitely improves one's abilities and accuracy, in those types of questions.

-one should also be aware that there are several different approaches to horary. In the Western revival of horary (as an acceptable field of astrological practice) over the past 15-20 years, standard (traditionalist) horary has been dominant; a minority approach is called "Modern horary" (the alternative horary methods I use are based on obscure texts and oral tradition and, to the best of my knowledge, no one-at least in England and the USA and Australia-uses them) However in the Islamic world, the older Arabic horary is still widely practice (vide David Rouell) and some of the methods and concepts they use are similar to the oral tradition I follow (which I have referred to as the "Ankara" or "Old Turkish" tradition) But in the East (and increasingly in Europe, America and Australia as well) a very different (and a very ancient-dating to at least the 5th century AD) horary tradition exists: this is the jyotish-based horary called "prasna sastra"; and there is also a variety of that, based on Tejaka jyotish concepts, called "prasna tantra". These Eastern forms of horary are entirely different "models" of horary practice than what we follow in the West. So, like many things, it all comes down, in the end, to what each person decides to do, relative to undertaking the study and practice of the horary art.

-I am a strong follower of Tarot divination (since the mid 1960's) But Tarot and horary (whether traditionalist or Modern, "alternative" or Arabic or jyotish) are fundamentally different: Tarot divines from the subjective and the symbolic toward the objective. Horary goes from the objective through the symbolic in order to divine the Cosmic answer to the specific question or request for guidance...

Last edited:

Anahita

Hello there,

I'm new to horary too, but I've been using Tarot for years. However, I only read for myself, and have found that to work well. I'd say that it's similar to horary in that you need to have a very specific question in mind to get the best answer. I wouldn't try Tarot for questions like 'where did i leave my glasses' or something like that, but for questions about future events, it works pretty well for me.

virgo18

Am I right with this? If we want a trustful answer then we:

- don't ask twice the same question in less than 2 weeks.
- don't ask questions involved with the same theme or persons? like asking about love, or money constantly.
- don't ask questions that can't be answered with a yes or no.
- Don't use the phrase "Will I ever"

dr. farr

Am I right with this? If we want a trustful answer then we:

- don't ask twice the same question in less than 2 weeks.
- don't ask questions involved with the same theme or persons? like asking about love, or money constantly.
- don't ask questions that can't be answered with a yes or no.
- Don't use the phrase "Will I ever"

The following is MY OUTLOOK (therefore not "authoritative") regarding the above:

-don't ask the same question WHICH YOU GOT AN ANSWER TO until action regarding the subject matter has occured; if there has been no action in a reasonable time, then the question may be asked again (I do NOT think setting generalized time frames is advisable)

-I agree about re-asking the same OR ESSENTIALLY THE SAME question about a person or theme over and over again; HOWEVER, it can happen that clarification might be needed, in which case questions seeking clarification about the same person or theme may be radical (legitimate)

-I completely disagree about "only-yes/no questions"; advice horaries are often not capable of being answered yes/no; similarly in time-frame questions ("when will x happen?") yes/no answers are not relevant; requesting the Cosmos to "tell me about" a person, or anticipated action, or theme, are legitimate horary requests and cannot be answered merely yes or no; from my perspective, if only a clear yes/no answer (without explanation of the influences behind that yes or no) is what is desired, use of an astro-divination method (possibly the 8 Ball, or Simple Lunar divination, or trigonal lord analysis, or the "fixed star fortune", or other divination methods such as are used in jyotish prasna tantra or prasna sastra) would be more appropriate than horary, because horary provides much more (insight wise) than mere astro-divination methods are capable of providing.

-I completely agree about avoiding the term "EVER" in framing any horary question.

Last edited:

Olivia

That depends on what school of horary you follow. Some modern astrologers do use minor aspects, but many don't. Traditional astrologers don't use them. I'd say don't use them, but there are a couple of reasons for that.

A quincunx or a semi-sextile is an aversion - the planets can't see each other by major aspect, and if those are your significators and the moon isn't being helpful, there's no translation or collection of light, then no, whatever you're asking about is not going to happen. Aversion is similar to a quincunx if you take the quincunx to mean that the two planetary energies don't mix. That's the whole point of aversion - the two planets can't work together.

But planets in those signs may be in antiscia. For example, if you had a planet at 10 Aries and one at 20 Virgo, they'd be conjunct by antiscia, which has an entirely different meaning to a quincunx - the planets are linked by conjunction, but it's happening behind the scenes. Same with Gemini/Cancer or Sag/Capricorn planets - I wouldn't count the semi-sextile, but I would look for antiscial connections.

Antiscia are solstice points, which were used for a couple thousand years before people got into midpoints. The signs are as follows:

Cancer-Gemini
Leo-Taurus
Virgo-Aries
Libra-Pisces
Scorpio-Aquarius
Sagittarius-Capricorn

You want two planets whose degrees add up to 30 total, though I'd give a couple of degrees orb - for instance, I'd count 8 Pisces and 20 Libra as being conjunct by antiscia, though the perfect antiscia would be 10 Pisces and 20 Libra. 10+20=30.

You can also look at contra-antiscia, which is the exact opposite point of the antiscia. The antiscia of 6 Aries is 24 Virgo, so the contra-antiscia of 6 Aries is 24 Pisces. That's a behind-the-scenes opposition, and often can be taken quite literally - look at the two planets involved, and the houses they're in and the houses they rule to figure out who and what is putting a stop to things!

I know Konrad has had some luck using aspects to antiscial points in sports horary, but in other forms of horary I haven't seen anything but the conjunctions (or oppositions in the case of contra-antiscia) come through.

Last edited:

tikana

Olivia

yeah mostly i agree with you

If everything else points to NO, regardless what inconjunction or antiscia does, neither of them overwrite the NO

T

dr. farr

If everything else points to NO, regardless what inconjunction or antiscia does, neither of them overwrite the NO

T

I fully agree with this-it is the weight of the testimonies, rather than one element, which decides the likely result; only if and when testimonies are evenly balanced + or -, can a striking single element tip the balance one way or the other.

RayAustin

Dear Ray Austin

Do the aspects like semisquare, quincunx, semisextile etc... are valid in horary?

I haven't done any hardcore research on that but from the brief times I've used them, I'd say so.. but not to the same significance as the major aspects. I think they help give you more details about the situation. I don't use them much.