Jupiter in Dignity and Debility

Arian Maverick

This series of threads was created with the intention of discussing the influence of planetary dignity and debility in natal astrology. Each planet has been designated its own thread and a quick reference sheet of this planet's dignity and debility has been provided.

Dignity:

• Jupiter exerts rulership over Pisces and Sagittarius
  • Jupiter is exalted in Cancer

Debility:
  • Jupiter is in its detriment in Virgo and Gemini
  • Jupiter is in its fall in Capricorn

Arian Maverick

pwadm

Staff member
Jupiter in detriment here - in Gemini, lord of the Ascendant.

I'm having a problem with keeping my interest focused on something for a longer period of time. Although quite Sagittarian in the broad range of interests, from politics to spirituality, it happens rarely to be follow a path of knowledge too far, there is something that makes me move on, gather information from different sources and then try to make connections between them. It's still the same ole Jupiter, trying to get the deeper meaning and the overall picture of everything that moves, but as the interests are too broad, there isn't any that would represent the main theme.

Is this necessarily bad from Jupiter's point of view?

Arian Maverick

My natal Jupiter is also in detriment in Gemini, and I relate to the description of your situation quite well. Indeed, I seem to flit from one subject to another, gathering bits of information yet never surpassing the beginner stage in any one area. Astrology seems to be the lone exception, although even now I fear I have reached an insurmountable roadblock, one which prevents me from deepening my understanding and applying my knowledge in a practical sense.

I believe that each of the twelve signs is keenly aware of its own nature, including those dormant characteristics that can only resurface through the union with its polarity pair. There may very well be a shadow of influence uniting these pairs through time and space--a silver cord. Indeed, why would the planet Jupiter feel frustrated by its placement in Gemini if there were not some underlying familiarity with the sign and an understanding of its own potential? Yet at the same time, isn't it the ultimate goal of astrology to overcome duality and merge with the Divine?

I apologize for my rambling...:eek:

Arian Maverick

Howl

Don't apologise Arian, you should see the ramble I just posted on the Pluto dignity/debility thread ;) All about me!! Rambling can help you think, and hopefully others to, I always read your musings with interest

p.s. - with my mercury in sagittarius, you two and I should get along fantastically! Double trouble detriment :D

Last edited:

carnna

perhaps if you think dualism it will help.
Jupiter is big, expansive, diurnal, masculine, hot & moist, active, generous, etc. (able to act & receive or alternating between the two while in it's dignity of honor, sag & pisces while exalted in cancer).

Fiery sag is warm & moist, masculine, diurnal, requires freedom of action & power, mutable

Gemini is mercurial, smallest, notcurnal, airy, wiry, mental, mutable also & requires freedom of movement in speech; masculine sign, yet mercury can be either depending on sign it's in & corporal conjunctions if any. mercury is hot & dry, but, like quicksilver, can change quickly depending on who(m) he/she's with.

So, jupiter has a hard time being is his big expansive and active self in a sign that is mental, quick and often changing, flitting from one thing to another.

In his fall of capricorn (which is opposite his exaltation in cancer) it is much worse.
(speaking from personal experience ~grin)
Saturn, ruler of capricorn is earthy, cardinal, hard, cold & dry, diurnal - but of grave manner (so unlike jovial jupiter), stern, discipline (jup hates that), takes the fun out of everything by being so serious and is the sun's only enemy, while jup is the sun's best friend/ally.

so, think of jup in gemini as the big beautiful centaur, teaching, playing music, teasing & playing with the little ones while watching over them (not well either mind you, but fondly, yet bored) half an eye peering at the guys doing archery and the other eye checking out the mares, wondering if he couldn't just split his time.......you get the picture.

while in sag, he'd manage all quite well and confidently;
in gemini, he'll wander off and not quite get back to where he should be. HOWEVER, if a benefic aspects him he receives help, if he has dignity in trip (and in gem he does) decan or term, perhaps placed in his house of joy (11) and not hindered by the malefics nor burnt up by the sun (cmb) nor cadent, etc, etc. He can achieve a little of what he promises, but in detriment he does need alot help.

There's alot to the art and science of astrology, eh?

sigh, alas, Jup in mine is cadent & fall AND conjunct saturn AND square mars/mercury, with itty, bitty reprieve (now & then) by trine to exalted waning moon (changeable & moody as she is). So, he promises much and delivers none (I believe he is what is called "accidently malefic").

Last edited:

carnna

.....and the reason I seem to know alot about this is because:

I have venus, sun, jupiter (cadent) in fall
Mars in detriment

Mercury cadent & peregrine (no dignity nor debility at all, which makes him totally dependent on his dispositor - sorta like being in exile in another countries embassy while you can look out the window and see your fellow country men but never interact with them).

Moon exalted & elevated
Saturn honor of rulership.

ShadowRain

In my experience, Jupiter and Saturn work fairly well together if and when they're in mutual reception - if I remember correctly it's called the Great Architect.

I believe that the duality aspect becomes especially significant with a diffucult placement ... it gives you a way out and maybe another way of looking at things. If nothing else, you might be able to 'escape' dealing with it for a little while.

The silver cord that Arian mentions is the unseen connection of the 'light' or visible placement and the 'dark' not-visible shadow that it cast opposite itself. As the yin and yang always contain the seed of its opposite, so too do the planetary placements in each sign in the chart.

And so the complexity of astrology astounds once again (okay, now I am rambling ... :eek: )

sam

I have retrograde Jupiter exalted in Cancer in the twelfth. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Would being retrograde/in twelfth house change its positive influence?

S

starnoud

Let me say this: the signs are cosmic, the houses are extential (about life on earth) and the planets are (almost) always ruling a house, doing their 'thing' in a way the sign (where the planet is in) would do its 'thing'. haha... in other words: I think it's important to see what house (in this case) Jupiter rules....
Example (my own chart of course, I am Aries lol): JUPITER RULES MY 3RD HOUSE (cusp Sag) AND MY 5TH HOUSE (cusp Pisces), and .... here comes the clue... Jupiter is in Leo ..... dignity, debility or whatever ity, fact is that Jupiter is in the 5th sign , being ruler of the 5th house...
I was missing this part of the conversation , lol , have a nice day/night you all.

The_Sundance_Kid

Jupiter is awesome! It has saved my otherwise sad chart and elevated it into something worth having. I have Jupiter in Pisces so mildly dignified, and in the 4th house so accidentally dignified.

I see Jupiter as more water than fire, for it ruled Pisces and is exalted in Cancer. It is the water and fire planet. These two have one thing in common- their lack of practicality. There is no reason, but there are principles. Reason derives from premises, and the true philosopher accepts none (this is a highly debatable.)

Jupiter, the ruler of the 9th house, rules the heavens, and yet is exalted at the base of the chart, over the IC. Why is this? I think it is because the best expression of Jupiter is when what is above is also below, when the ability to expand oneself comes from within and from without, which can only happen when there is a firm foundation of the self. The mind can only be stretched so far before spilling out of our heads unless there is the breadth of a firm head to hold all our ideas into.

One can only expand into the future as one expands into the past, one can only understand others once they understand themselves, blah blah, and Jupiter rules the home and family, the place principles can be put into practice. Hinduism for instance, is a religion of the home.

Michael

I guess I got lucky with Jupiter. It's dignified in Sagittarius and in my third house.
And I have this nice aspect: Jupiter Conjunct Uranus 1°31'A.

wayne penner

carnna said:
perhaps if you think dualism it will help.
Jupiter is big, expansive, diurnal, masculine, hot & moist, active, generous, etc. (able to act & receive or alternating between the two while in it's dignity of honor, sag & pisces while exalted in cancer).

Fiery sag is warm & moist, masculine, diurnal, requires freedom of action & power, mutable

Gemini is mercurial, smallest, notcurnal, airy, wiry, mental, mutable also & requires freedom of movement in speech; masculine sign, yet mercury can be either depending on sign it's in & corporal conjunctions if any. mercury is hot & dry, but, like quicksilver, can change quickly depending on who(m) he/she's with.

So, jupiter has a hard time being is his big expansive and active self in a sign that is mental, quick and often changing, flitting from one thing to another.

In his fall of capricorn (which is opposite his exaltation in cancer) it is much worse.
(speaking from personal experience ~grin)
Saturn, ruler of capricorn is earthy, cardinal, hard, cold & dry, diurnal - but of grave manner (so unlike jovial jupiter), stern, discipline (jup hates that), takes the fun out of everything by being so serious and is the sun's only enemy, while jup is the sun's best friend/ally.

so, think of jup in gemini as the big beautiful centaur, teaching, playing music, teasing & playing with the little ones while watching over them (not well either mind you, but fondly, yet bored) half an eye peering at the guys doing archery and the other eye checking out the mares, wondering if he couldn't just split his time.......you get the picture.

while in sag, he'd manage all quite well and confidently;
in gemini, he'll wander off and not quite get back to where he should be. HOWEVER, if a benefic aspects him he receives help, if he has dignity in trip (and in gem he does) decan or term, perhaps placed in his house of joy (11) and not hindered by the malefics nor burnt up by the sun (cmb) nor cadent, etc, etc. He can achieve a little of what he promises, but in detriment he does need alot help.

There's alot to the art and science of astrology, eh?

sigh, alas, Jup in mine is cadent & fall AND conjunct saturn AND square mars/mercury, with itty, bitty reprieve (now & then) by trine to exalted waning moon (changeable & moody as she is). So, he promises much and delivers none (I believe he is what is called "accidently malefic").

Jupiter in Capricorn occurs continualy in the charts of great comedians - Johnny Carson, Jerry Lewis, Merv Griffin, Charlie Chaplin. It is poignant and ironic and inevitably stable. It often brings great financial success in life.

SunMoon

I have Jupiter in the 9th house in Pisces. I think that's exalted twice?
I'm very lucky that way. But my Jupiter forms a square with Saturn in Sagittarius in the 5th which puts a stop or a delay to any luck or expansion i may otherwise easily have access to. Maybe it's how i love the idea of travel even if i never really have done so (i would love to someday).And beliefs are important to me even though i'm not religious and am not attracted to religions at all (I have my own personal views on all those things). And i like reading books and learning and all that even though i hated and still have a strong dislike for school. I'm lucky to have gone through it and be done with it. :) I don't know how else this placement affects me.

Michael

I am in a similar position as you, SunMoon. I love travel but have not been able to travel as much as I want, I love languages but dislike language teachers (they even made me cry in the past), I love learning but I have no respect for educational institutions, I love living like a rich man but I am poor :p.

Natal chart attached.

Attachments

• 2454573843779.gif
    2454573843779.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 41

nejispirit

Well, I have mutual reception between Jupiter and Uranus: Jupiter in Aquarius in the 6th and Uranus in Sagittarius in the 4th :D

gesso

I have jupiter conjunct my vertex in virgo in the 7th...he is part of a grand trine between my sun (12th)and chiron(2nd)
Jupiter is retrograde though, and rules my 10th and 11th houses
Not completely sure yet what all that means..but i DO know that jup will be crosing my ascendant in january...and i am curious to see what will happen then (other than the possibility of just getting fat! lol)