1348 Plague in London

Hi there, I am working on a fictional writing project set at the time of the 1348 plague in London (which is said to have actually arrived in the city on November 1, 1348. November 1 is my birthday so that was kinda cool in a morbid way!).

I would like to know if anyone has done a chart for London for this day/year to see if there were any planetary aspects to indicate that this horrible disease was coming. I would like to incorporate that into my story because at that time Astrology was the main way of diagnosing illness and problems, and I think it would add a special dimension.

Thanks!
-Violet

BobZemco

This pretty much tells the story

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1348 London Plague.jpg
    1348 London Plague.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Bob! I'm more of a writer by profession and still a novice in Astrology- though I am actively trying to learn and improve my knowledge. Would you be able to give me your general interpretations of this? No worries if not! i'll print it out and try to look some things up. Also, do you know if the way a Medieval astrology chart would have been casted would have been drastically different to this, or about the same- give or take?

Thanks!!
-Violet

BobZemco

Sure, but I don't have the time at this exact minute, but I'll explain in detail later on.

Suffice to say Jupiter rules both Death Houses, the 8th and the 12th, and Jupiter is Retrograde and in Fall in Gemini in the 1st House for the Lunation (the New Moon prior to the Event).

That shows the state of the health of the people of London and their condition to be in a very poor state.

Venus the 1st House Ruler is on the 8th House Cusp showing death. The Lunation (Moon conjunct Sun) takes place in the 6th House showing Disease.

In the Ingress Chart, Venus the 1st House Ruler is Combust the Sun intercepted in the 12th House (not good).

In the Lunation Chart Mercury rules the 6th House of the Ingress Chart (Disease/Illness).

Jupiter and Venus are Benefics, but in the Ingress chart they're both Peregrine and in real bad shape as far as Sign/House placement so they operate here more like the Malefic planets.

Normally it would take me an hour to figure out the Year Ruler but in this chart it's either Mars or the Sun since all of the Planets are excluded because they're either Peregrine, Cadent, Retrograde or in pathetic shape.

Haha, thanks so much! Great info!

In my research I've read that many people who were astrologers or various types of "fortune tellers" were in the streets for the months leading up to the outbreak preaching doom and gloom (reports were coming in from other parts of Europe of how horrific the black death was) and trying to sell remedies or other kinds of cures- most of which were pure poppycock and rubbish. it was kind of like an "end of days" mass hysteria building up to the outbreak.

I wonder if genuine astrologers of the time were aware that something really bad was "up" and if so, did this contribute to the kind of mass hysteria that was seen. Most of the rich people had fled the city of london with their doctors/astrologers well before the outbreak, I guess because of reports they were getting from merchant ships. But it would be interesting to think that your friendly neighborhood medieval astrologer had some helpful warnings to give!
-Violet

JerryRR

Guy de Chauliac,attributed the great plague which swept Europe in 1345 to the influence of the conjunction of Saturn,Mars and Jupiter in Aquarius,observed on 24th March of that year.
Source: The Astrologers and their Creed,Christopher McIntosh.

Ju/Sa conjunction 19 01 Aquarius,1 April 1345 12:07 pm London (Greg),Mars 1 45 Pisces.

Sabian 20 Aquarius: A big white dove,a message bearer.

J. :)

BobZemco

Guy de Chauliac,attributed the great plague which swept Europe in 1345 to the influence of the conjunction of Saturn,Mars and Jupiter in Aquarius,observed on 24th March of that year.
Source: The Astrologers and their Creed,Christopher McIntosh.

Ju/Sa conjunction 19 01 Aquarius,1 April 1345 12:07 pm London (Greg),Mars 1 45 Pisces.

Sabian 20 Aquarius: A big white dove,a message bearer.

J. :)

That's interesting.

And yes I intend to come back to this chart once I dig my way out of the charts (I'm a little behind).

segurelha

Violet flyer, whether the outer planets are mostly in waxing or waning cycles tells it all.

In 1340s/1350s, all outer planet cycles were in waning cycles: which means pessimism and destruction.

This is similar to what happened last century in 1910s and 1940s.

And guess what: there will be a similar NEGATIVE period in 2013-2020. So, I see it coming.

On another way, period with mainly waxing cycles correlate with lots of growth and optimism, like the 1920s or the 1990s, and it will happen again in 2025-2040. You can read more in http://astrotransits.blogspot.com/2010/08/cardinal-climax-currently-occurring-now.html

Last edited: