Exactly how bad can Mercury square Neptune be?

Astrology

Just exactly how bad can Mercury square Neptune be? Is this the worst placement for Mercury? And what about Mercury square Uranus? I heard that people with Mercury square Uranus are extremely stupid or illogical, is this true?

Attachments

• Yang's Birth Chart.image.jpg
    Yang's Birth Chart.image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 39

Lykanized

Of course it's not true. Anyway. I can't speak from the perspective of the squares, but I have the Mercury oppositions to my Uranus and Neptune and just to top it all off, they're all retrograde. I don't see myself as stupid or illogical. I can use logic, but I tend more toward the abstract and intuition and I trust intuition and the subjective more than the 'objective'. I tend to reject other peoples' logic or ways of looking at things if they seem too commonplace or ordinary, or I assume things are incorrect if the majority agrees. I think that comes from the Uranus influence. Mind's very focused on the future but also on impressions, 'poetry' of experience for me, music, spirit. I can say for me personally I may come off sometimes as if I'm dumb only because it can be hard to find words for thoughts when there's such a hard connection between Mercury and Uranus/Neptune. Lots of focus on stream of consciousness and the subconscious, what exists but can't be seen. At least for me

http://astroarena12.blogspot.com/2015/01/mercury-uranus-aspects-genius.html

"[FONT=&quot]Mercury square or opposite Uranus: You are the most likely to speak and think in erratic, bizarre ways. Having the square or the opposition can make you more of a frustrated genius, as it can be difficult for you to translate those extraordinary ideas into a sensible reality. This can be difficult and make you feel even more isolated in your outlook. But, when you find a healthy balance between common logic and wild inspiration, you are capable of putting your unique intelligence to good use. "

http://astroarena12.blogspot.com/2015/04/mercury-neptune-aspects-visionary.html
[/FONT]
"[FONT=&quot]Mercury square or opposite Neptune: There can be some strong resistance to your intensely right-brained nature, due to the square or the opposition. You can insist on logic while still feeling like you’re losing your mind, swamped by the total free-flow of thoughts. Learn to think of intuition as a form of reason. Then, you can express an uncanny blend of both halves of your brain. [/FONT] "

Hard aspects have the full potentiality to be 'good' when you find balance and since there's tension with the squares, there's even greater potential

Lykanized

Something else I've noticed in my own self is that I grew up always doubting myself and my thoughts, my ideas, my feelings if they didn't match up with other peoples' ideas, yet at the same time, there was this spark of abject rebellion within me. I used to hide my ideas and I went through a period of rejecting my way of thinking. As I've gotten older I've drawn myself more to that spark. I've embraced myself and my thoughts regardless of whether my way of thinking is strictly logical because I realize all is subjective. Perhaps that's not very balanced, but that's where I am now and I'm not sure of where the next step would be

I wonder how the path differs for the square and the opposition

Astrology

Thank you so much for the Astrology Arena website for the extra informations on Mercury/Uranus aspects. And I couldn't agree more with what it said in that website. I hated school all the time personally while growing up, from kindergarten to high school. My parents were extremely strict and I was really rebellious back then and I found school to be extremely boring, this is why I hated school a lot. Even now.

Lykanized

Thank you so much for the Astrology Arena website for the extra informations on Mercury/Uranus aspects. And I couldn't agree more with what it said in that website. I hated school all the time personally while growing up, from kindergarten to high school. My parents were extremely strict and I was really rebellious back then and I found school to be extremely boring, this is why I hated school a lot. Even now.
Yup, I understand. I actually dropped out of high school my junior year. I couldn't stand it anymore. I had trouble finding my place in academia because I'm very independent minded and want to learn what I'm interested in and in a way that feels right for me. And there's the dreaminess, artfulness, connectivity to the subconscious of Neptune. It may be hard to pay attention if things don't 'feel' right. I don't know if you relate, but I switched majors so many times... Now I'm 24 and still working on my bachelor's degree, but it doesn't bother me. It may be a struggle to find your place in academia and in the workplace. I don't plan on doing the 9-5 thing and idc what anyone says. I'm more interested in freelancing. And it took me a while to accept that I could pursue a degree in something impractical

I spent a long time in conflict attempting to fit myself somehow into the mold of what I'm 'supposed to be' while still maintaining my passion and independence. Now I've realized that I need to let go and just do what I feel, pursue my passions, **** the mold, break it

Neptune's influence brings in a connection to the subconscious, the dreamworld, the unseen, impressions, what we feel, possibly art. Uranus brings in rebellion and need to do things your own way, attention to what could be. With these hard aspects, there may be a conflict at first, but it can be mended

Luney

Mended by progression would you say?

My experience with Neptune and Uranus is very similar.. :sideways:

It has taken me to realise, that only through my age, and progressions that I have been able to accept it, work with it.. and cease rebelling! :cool:

Now at Chiron return, I feel it’s time to just be me.. not try at anything too academic. As I’ve been studying for ..all my life so far... I’ve never quite finished a lot of courses I’ve began. Too long , uninteresting and drawn out.
Taking a lot of short courses helped stay on my minds length and ability to absorb and concentrate.. :wink:

waybread

Well, key words for Mercury square Neptune might be "unrealistic thinking" or even "thinking influenced by illusions and disillusionment." But I think this combo, especially with Uranus in the mix, could also give you a rich and innovative imagination.

Lykanized

Well, key words for Mercury square Neptune might be "unrealistic thinking" or even "thinking influenced by illusions and disillusionment." But I think this combo, especially with Uranus in the mix, could also give you a rich and innovative imagination.
is that the same for the oppositions? somehow I relate to unrealistic thinking ...yet still see things in terms of anything being possible

waybread

Both the opposition and square are stressful aspects. The one thing the opposition has going for it is that occasionally a third planet (natally, by transit, or by progression) will sextile one planet in the opposition and trine the other. These harmonious aspects can be great assets when they occur.

BTW, Donald Trump has Mercury square Neptune.

Lykanized

Both the opposition and square are stressful aspects. The one thing the opposition has going for it is that occasionally a third planet (natally, by transit, or by progression) will sextile one planet in the opposition and trine the other. These harmonious aspects can be great assets when they occur.

Wait...This is interesting bc as far as I've read, the running belief has been that oppositions are harsher than squares, but this means they can have a harmony that squares are incapable of?
I looked at my chart at my inner oppositions, Sun opp Uranus, Mercury opp Uranus, and Mercury opp Neptune are all put into harmony by Pluto, so I suppose I'm lucky in that way

waybread

I don't know that an opposition is harder than a square. A lot depends on the planets involved and how close the aspect is. I think both demand a lot of effort to reconcile the two planets, but I think it's easier for opposing planets to reconcile via a 3rd planet that sextiles one and trines the others.

lilylion

I have natal Mercury (in libra, in the 6th) square Neptune (in capricorn, in the 10th) and I honestly don't know what to make of it hahaha.

I have Mercury square Midhaven(in capricorn in the 10th) and Mercury opposite Saturn (in Taurus in the 12th) so there's a lot of mercury going on 😂 in a general sense I feel like when i'm explaining things in what i think is a linear concept, people just do not understand the picture i am painting. they do not see my vision, and i lack the ability to explain what i am feeling/seeing.

But in contrast, i never fail to entertain. I never fail to help people understand their emotions. I never fail in explaining the emotional. I am a great writer, i get nervous when speaking. my spoken word doesn't always depict the entire feeling i am trying to portray.. i don't always have time to refine my words in person... unless i speak super slow! (but my libra mercury won't have that!😂)

i also notice that mercury square neptune is quite deceptive with words. i feel like i say things... people misunderstand me... and then get mad at me for their misunderstanding. people can't always read between my invisible lines😂 only fire signs get annoyed with it tho... other air signs get me, and water ones too!

acmicasa

How bad it can be depends on lot of factors, affinity of planets, elements, modalities etc

Example:
Mercury is neuter while Neptune is famine --- conflict
Suppose Mercury is in Gemini then there are two possibilities for Neptune, either in Virgo or in Pisces. All are dual signs, mutable so there is better chance of dynamics playing out well. Its gets harder as you move to cardinal to fixed sign.

The square aspects are dynamic one (can play out together), while opposition are direct conflicts (like swinging from one side to the other).

Lykanized

I don't know that an opposition is harder than a square. A lot depends on the planets involved and how close the aspect is. I think both demand a lot of effort to reconcile the two planets, but I think it's easier for opposing planets to reconcile via a 3rd planet that sextiles one and trines the others.
I suppose I'm lucky then. How do you think one would go about reconciling opposing energy via that 3rd planet? I just don't know what the dynamic is and I know we're speaking very abstractly here and generally, but anything you have to say would be helpful. If you have nothing tho, I understand. Perhaps you don't have experience with that dynamic firsthand or secondhand
Pluto here would be the common energy

waybread

Most of my natal planets are involved in oppositions. Where oppositions are bundled up, it's called a "see-saw" chart formation.

Basically the procedure in choice-centered astrology is to:

1. get clarity on the opposing or squared planets' nature, houses, signs, and aspects to other planets.

2. Have they got something in common? For example, maybe it's a moon in Capricorn and Saturn in Cancer, which puts the planets in a situation of mutual reception.

3. How might they work out a compromise?

Just for example, I have Mars in Pisces opposing Saturn in Virgo. Mars tended to stick his neck out, and say things that were rash and even hurtful. This type of episode was followed with shame and self-blame when Saturn kicked in (the see-saw effect.)

When I began to work on this, I thought, more positively, that Saturn symbolized self-discipline and Mars ruled athletes. With Mars ruling athletes and in watery Pisces, I thought of thought of swimming laps at my local rec center, and disciplining (Saturn) myself to perfect (Virgo) my strokes. Speed (Mars) for me wasn't an option, but I go for the stretching benefits and endurance (Saturn.) The bigger issue of rash angry statements followed by self-blame has meanwhile gotten a lot better.

My husband and I also enjoy canoeing in the summer, and this is another activity that combines Mars (rules sports) in Pisces (water) with endurance and oftentimes hard work (Saturn.)

Everyone's life and chart is different, but hopefully you get the idea of how one could actually work on a tough square or opposition.

Put differently, Mars says, "I want to jump out of airplanes."

Saturn says, "OK, but take sky-diving lessons, double-check your parachute, and listen to your instructor."

You can imagine the boost that this strategy would get from a third planet in a sextile or trine position. I don't have any natally, but periodically they come around through transit.

Shalie

Just exactly how bad can Mercury square Neptune be? Is this the worst placement for Mercury? And what about Mercury square Uranus? I heard that people with Mercury square Uranus are extremely stupid or illogical, is this true?

My mother is schizophrenic, diagnosed for about 50 years now. She has Mercury square Neptune.