A Nerd Like Me: Uranus and Mercury aspects

byjove

Account Closed
The astro:
Are Uranus and/or Mercury aspects usually responsible for what we call a nerd personality? It seems logical to me and yet so rare is it that I read about them in this respect. Why and how? I'd like to take a look at both planets, but if you don't use modern planets, simply skip over the other one. :whistling: Are all aspects of these planets able to add nerdiness to one's personality? What I was thinking was heavy Mercury in chart (maybe Uranus, especially if they make contact) = extremely logical, therefore naturally destined to contradict society, therefore logical habits and hobbies are likely.

You
Do you have any of these aspects you'd like to talk about? Do you think that there's more to it than just these two planets?

Why I ask
I've just entered a much, much more social season in my life and realised that two aspects may be related; in the last few years I've grown from being simply very tech-interested into being a complete nerd. I dread the giant social events on the calendar; they don't appeal to me. Ironically friends call me very social and friendly. In my astro, I've Mercury conjunct MC, both square Uranus, Uranus trines Sun. I really don't think the interpretations of those aspects that I've read have really touched on nerds at all though. My sister frequently laughs when I don't understand something and point out that I don't understand something that's not logical.

Info. that got me thinking:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200807/field-guide-the-nerd-its-all-geek-me

Last edited:

zona967

Banned
Ha ha, very cool outline there.

Uranus is said to be the strike of genious. Some momentary revelations coming as if out of nowhere. Uranus is also said to be the higher octave of Mercury so the two would work very well in combination.

The square might pose some challenges though such as Uranus showing complete lack of tolerance for mundane ways of thinking and communicating. I think in a square the outer planet puts very tight reigns on the inner one and has a very short list of acceptable behaviours on the part of the latter and everything that's not on the list causes extreme inner tension which, if not recognised, might be manifested through the environment as well.

So in this case Uranus might go: boring, boring, boring, boring, genius, boring, boring, boring, boring, boring, genius, boring, boring, boring, boring, when evaluating Mercury's thoughts and ways of communication. And the pressure to be different and unique at all time might be huge. It may also externalise onto other people where Uranus would perform the same type of judgement on them.

Also, not being able to withstand the inner pressure for originality might result in projecting the censorship outside such as feeling other people accuse you of being boring. So you might either play the person being accused or the one doing the accusation but it might be very hard to contain both roles inside of yourself.

Last edited:

Blackempress

This article was nice. Uranus is always the Original thinker & the strike of genius. The planet with the 'Eureka' hallmark.
Mercury-Uranus aspects do lead to alot of genius but social awkwardness. Even Einstein who had a Mercury-opp-Uranus was always socially bullied.
I fall into more the E type (woman, duh!) but a bit of the S. I would credit that to a dominant mercury & well placed Uranus but no connection between them.
I would definitely be thinking of Mercury-Uranus connections behind such people's behavior & from my own observation, Uranian minds are quite prominent especially the Computer geniuses.
The Square can be challenging ofcourse depending on how you've developed it. Nerds are cool to keep the technical world developing & moving forward even if they aren't socially favorable so keep doing your thing. :biggrin:

bubuza_dulce

I have the trine and I was considered a bit nerdy until I finished high-school.
I may be interested in subjects like Trigonometry or Physics but that doesn't mean the people who meet me have to know.
I have Mercury in the 4th and Uranus in the 8th. When I meet people I talk about their lives and about other people's lives. Then I come home and I study whatever I feel like. They don't clash at all because I don't have the need to talk to somebody about academic subjects. I enjoy this kind of knowledge like a secret fruit.

byjove

Account Closed
Zona, I laughed at your response so much! (in a funny way and familiarity!) My two sisters have the square also, and we also all have Sun-Uranus trine. In my experience I find more nerds with the square with Mercury/Uranus rather that the Sun. One of them has the Sun/Uranus trine exactly and repeats and acts exactly like you say lol.

p.s. it's nice to read the different stories and understanding :love:

Last edited:

zona967

Banned
Some say that people reincarnate in groups and have common tasks to work on (so that they can work together?) It's not uncommon to have repetitive patterns in families.

Sun-Uranus is more about how you see yourself and how you need to treat yourself in order to feel complete. You are likely to feel the need to be an original individual but you don't have to say it like with a Mercury aspect.

And a trine is an easy flow so presumably it's just a part of who you are that you are so used to that it doesn't really make an impression on you. Others are likely to pick up the good traits of Uranus here (unlike the focus on the negative ones with the square) so they are likely to see you as independent, original, creative and innovative. Trines also indicate talents we are likely to take for granted but other people might really envy us for.

miquar

I have an exact trine between Mercury in Aquarius in the 8th and Uranus in Libra in the 4th. I know what you mean bubuza about being able to talk about one thing and study another alone. I was good at science and maths at school, and now I study astrology. But neither of these subjects have ever figured in my day-to-day social interactions.

Its an interesting thread - great insight byjove in linking the article with astrological significators. I can't think a better potential indicator for nerdy behaviour than Mercury Uranus. It also makes me think of rail enthusiasts (i.e. train spotters) because there's something detached about the way that they need to just glimpse a train and record its number in a book - perhaps this could arise from Mercurial energy alone, though - not sure. But they are part of a fraternity of like-minded people, too, which is quite Uranian.

I tend to think as nerdiness as an introverted thing rather than extroverted. Perhaps a strong Uranus inclines one to nerdiness if one is introverted, and social adaptability if one is extroverted - taking the mental faculty to an extreme in either direction.

I do wonder if there is something earthy in nerdiness, too. Earth can live in a circumscribed world, and the nerd's reality is circumscribed by their subject of choice. Perhaps this is the Saturnian side of Aquarius and the Virgo side of Mercury coming through? Preoccupation with things like rail timetables would seem to be very Virgoan. So perhaps nerdiness belongs to introverted earth/air??

byjove

Account Closed
Miquar...funny you mention trainspotting, I've a fair few friends of that nature...I like it too, though I think I've a bent slightly more for futuristic trains (e.g. the levitating trains in the US, Germany, China Maglev). I agree I think it's quite an introverted nature - nerdiness.

I wish I named it a nerd like you and me. When I read the title now it looks like I want to talk about myself lol.

*emma*

Banned
mercury uranus connections have that one step ahead feel to them
and that is right, people with these aspects are quick and bright
sometimes too fast even for themselves

very easily bored, irritable, impatient, highly intelligent, genius potential, highlymisunderstood too

Hi,

Mercury in the 10th in libra and uranus in the 12th in scorpio. And I have no aspect between them in regular aspects, so I went to check the midpoints for something.

mercury semisquare uranus / neptune midpoint

mercury trine uranus / chiron midpoint

venus conjunct mercury / uranus midpoint

MC semisquare mercury / uranus midpoint

For the purpose of this discussion I would first narrow this to the last two aspects. - venus conjunct mercury / uranus midpoint and MC semisquare mercury / uranus midpoint.

Regarding this I found the following:

"Planets activating the Mercury/Uranus midpoint
Principle: Independent thinking. Strange ideas. A progressive mind. Thinking outside the box and experimenting with ideas. Sudden communication that can catch people off guard. The ability to say things in an unique or unusual way. A spasmodic scattering of energies that can create upset and/or cause failure due to not putting enough energy into any one thing."

So, for me:

Venus activating the Mercury/Uranus midpoint: A love of free-ranging talk, and of people who can communicate openly. An appreciation of art that communicates something original and/or surprising. A need for a love involvement with an independent thinker who will stimulate one's mind. Thinking outside the box generates valuable ideas.

Midheaven activating the Mercury/Uranus midpoint: An ability to effectively perceive complex relationships and connections. The desire to share innovative ideas with the world. To have a reputation for having unusual ideas or for taking an original approach to one's career.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

link for the info: http://john-sandbach.blogspot.pt/2010/11/planets-activating-mercuryuranus.html

M

may28gemini

^
|
I never give much clout to the minor aspects and I think the midpoint is so overreaching. If you're a "nerd," it's probably because of your Mercury TRINE Uranus. Uranus is the higher octave of Mercury, if those planets are cohorts, then you can bet that the brew is going to pack at least a wallop of brilliance and originality.

As for the OP, I don't think Mercury to Uranus are the only aspects that make the person studious or a "nerd." What determines a "nerd" anyway? Are we talking about someone who's obsessed with science and lacks social skills? Or are we talking about someone who's just generally overall, "intelligent?"

There's various aspects and placements that could get a person to be "nerd" like. Everything Mercury is bound to produce something "nerdy". Mercury to Saturn produces cold, hard logic. Mercury to Neptune gives stellar imagination. Mercury to Sun would be someone who's into the nerd identity. Mercury to Venus is more of someone who wraps information into something beautiful to be presented; could be an artist. Mercury to Mars, well, that's someone who's quite a strategist. Mercury to Jupiter, a philosopher. Mercury to Pluto- a detective. Look at Mercury to AC and MC. The only relationship I can think of dampening Mercury is the moon- in any sort of aspect (harmonious and challenging). This can create an emotional thinker. Gemini or Virgo is the best someone can get on the scale of Mercury. Air Mercury is excellent. Earth Mercury is practical and factual. Fire Mercury is fervent and devout. Water Mercury is subjective and emotional.

Anyone that has a lot of Mercury aspects, you can pretty much bet there's above average intelligence. I'm not a nerd and I absolutely hate it when my friends call me a nerd but her's an example without Mercury touching Uranus (smirk).

Mercury
in 9th house conjunct Venus and MC
square 1st house Jupiter and Saturn
trine 1st house Pluto
opposite 3rd house Neptune
square 6th house moon
square AC
inconjunct 2nd house Uranus

I have a ton of Mercury and plenty to spare. I was always the top in my classes without even trying. I always challenged my teachers, professors, instructors in everything and ALWAYS right (very annoying for everyone else). My favorite subjects were biological sciences and fine arts and I had always wanted to be a science textbook artist. I had abandoned that sometime ago and I'm a content writer in the entertainment field. All my employers past and present think everything that I write is absolutely genius- philosophical and funny. I only write subjects grounded in facts or have evidence in a different/imaginative way and love, love, love research. I dig up information and images first out of everyone in the company and I make what's not very funny into something funny. Give me something common and I can throw an original spin on it.

Downside of having too much Mercury is lightning fast thoughts which may not translate into action. If you have a slow Mars, well, beware that you'll have to go back and correct your errors, like me. I have Taurus Mars. Oy vey.

Last edited:

gen6k

your writing is very developed, multifaceted, dense, informative, on point, imaginative in this post.

i think mercury in gemini at its worse is like just playful 2cent garbage, kind of like shakesphere with his venus in gemini just blabbing off.

i think another thing that makes a mercury good is its "specialness", and realizing this specialness past just something intentive like mercury/uranus.

Also having the Libra/Sag nexus in planetary origin, or the Taurus/Gemini nexus. Possibly the Jupiter/Saturn nexus also.

Taurus one-directionalizes the networked information that gemini finds, so in the end its kind of like a quasi-synthesis, almost sagittarian.

Richard Feynman had mercury at 0 degrees taurus, sextile uranus, sextile pluto, square neptune. He has a slight speech quirk, and hes not that fast at talking. Yet the 0 degrees really makes it special. The square neptune is not too far away from saturn.

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

LOL, thanks!

I have Gemini Venus and I'm in LOVE with babble and babbling. Shakespeare probably had Mercury and Venus in Gemini conjunct (I have that).
There's debate as to whether it was truly Shakespeare who wrote all the plays, poetry, and beautiful philosophical babble or was it someone else that used his name? Back then, it was more than possible, even plausible.

Speaking of specialness with degrees, I have 29 Gemini Mercury and 0 Libra Jupiter. Signwise, they should be trine, however in my chart, the aspect between them is squared. At the same time, I'm quite thankful because Jupiter often gets carried away and the square helps keep Jupiter from over expanding in the point of exploding. I've managed to keep my jumping to conclusions at a minimal these days but very excited when I stumble upon any "new" ideas, concepts, thoughts!

byjove

Account Closed
May, I mentioned Mercury and Uranus aspects specifically, not every aspect imaginable in the heavens. Also, I'm long past the point of waving every point in my chart to get applause. I really think you've missed my point entirely - I was poking a little fun and the article I linked was psychological in nature. I know we could dissect the matter philosophically but again, I wasn't going in that direction, or I'd make a thread named A Philosophical take on Nerdiness in the Horoscope.

M

may28gemini

I still answered your question- it happened to have been a long and nerdy one
LOL

gen6k

I dont know how mercury plays in exactly in the manifestation of nerdiness.

Mercury could be synaptic plasticity, ERK dendritic extention
Uranus could be EEG long term potentiation currents

I'm pretty sure at least strong moon is important in "imagination" especially when the imagination is somewhat connected to mercurial/uranus elements then it has a preference towards pedantic or dispositioned knowledge rather than the social convention.

But I don't think nerdiness has any viability in confining to stereotypicalities which then becomes a subset of a maladapted function rather than a progressive experiment in to what could be.

Being saturnine for example is different than like piscean/virgeon nerdiness. Or even aquarius is just the opposite of the sun which always has something to say away from the center, but there are some people that don't care. Aquarius should be an entry-point in to something else, but it shouldnt be the other mountain.

Last edited:

miquar

Hi gen6k. Was your post a deliberate humorous example of nerd-speak? I'm sure its a very interesting post, but since google doesn't translate it into ordinary English, I could only understand the first and last paragraphs!

If you're able to translate it, that would be great.

byjove

Account Closed
I wanted to say that I still find Mercury/Uranus aspects prominent in the nature of certain people that I described in the opening post, especially the 'nerd' type. Prominence of these planets and contact between them natally just might hold water after all....:whistling:

theV

I wanted to ask you what is the orb of trine ? Because I have done a chart in Astro.com and it showed that I have merucry trine uaranus bit I venture that

byjove

Account Closed
I wanted to ask you what is the orb of trine ? Because I have done a chart in Astro.com and it showed that I have merucry trine uaranus bit I venture that

Most people that I know use up to 7 degrees for a trine. I think it depends on the planet though, many people use wider orbs for aspects to the Sun and Moon for example.