Ruler of Houses in Houses

Lynns

Hi people,

I'm not sure where to post this, but Natal Astrology forum seemed the most appropriate.

I am wondering if there is a resource, or anyone knows how to interpret ruler of houses in houses?

For example if the ruler of your fifth house is cancer, and the moon is in the 9th house, what does that mean? Or if your ruler of seventh house is in Leo and the sun is in the 8th what does it mean?

I have tried to search google but can't seem to find any resource for it.

Or is it up to your interpretation, like if the ruler of the fifth is in the ninth, it means you will find romance either abroad or in learning institutions?

Thanks,
Lynn

blumen

Yes, combining houses and planets' symbolism is a method you can use to interpret house rulers' placement.

I am not sure resources about this interpretation technique are available on the web. With the exception of some good websites most references are either too shallow or unrealiable. This information is however contained in rather old astrology books, which sometimes can provide extremely detailed interpretations. One such books is "Astrology : Complete Guide to Theory and Practice" by N. Sementovsky Kurilo.

Blumen

Lynns

Hi Blumen,

Thank you for your answer. I'll probably go and find the book, most likely in amazon.com or ebay. Or make do with my own interpretation :)

Lynn

Lycksele

Hi Lynns, here you go,

Sun in House 8

The Sun in the 8th House indicates that consciousness is opening up to compassion, and the agents in the process are emotional suffering and refinement of desire. This may be a relatively advanced stage of development because people with the Sun in the 8th House do have the feel of ‘old souls’. There is a gravity and maturity conferred by this placement, which is evident even in very young children.

The suffering experienced by 8th House people, is always at the hands of people with whom they have a close personal relationship, and although there may be physical cruelty also, it is at the emotional level that the pain is registered. The pain is nearly always that of rejection and the knowledge that the intensity of their feelings is neither understood nor valued.

People with this placement of the Sun tend to experience the transforming energy of Pluto, the ruling planet of this house, as a force used by others against them. They do not readily use it themselves even in retaliation. People born with the Sun in the 8th House are usually born to parents unable to or unwilling to recognise the child's needs. Usually they have problems of their own and expect the child to be supportive and understanding.

As the result of the early experience of having the emotional needs ignored the 8th House person grows up expecting little of the partners around whom he is prepared to build his life. In consequence his relationships are characterised by inequality. Whether it is emotional support, money or forgiveness - more than one 8th House person has discovered that he has married a person engaged in criminal activities - it is the person with the Sun in H8 doing the giving. The lack of reciprocity tends to be accepted without recrimination, and he will not easily give up on a relationship. People with the Sun in H8 demonstrate a great acceptance of things as they are and this becomes the source of the peace of mind they are capable of attaining in their later years. This acceptance may also account for their characteristic willingness to work with people whom society has condemned or rejected. A person with the Sun in the 8th House does not readily judge; he is more likely to respond to the humanness of the offender.

Eighth House people are found in the prison service, and as social workers, nurses and counselors. In helping others they are often able to make sense of and redeem their suffering.

This placement of the Sun tends to confer an interest in the astral plane and in channeling in particular

Moon in house 9.

The Moon in the 9th House indicates that consciousness is imprinted with the memory of being exposed to spiritual law and higher knowledge. People with the Moon in H9 may be born to parents who consciously live in accordance with to spiritual values, or have connections with another country or religious tradition, which has a different (and usually stronger) set of spiritual values from that of the culture in which the child is being raised.

If however, he is born to parents whose lifestyle in no way distinguishes them, as he grows the child will become aware that there is something of considerable significance missing from his life and which he may try to find in another country or through a spiritual tradition.

People with the Moon in H9 frequently have a strong memory of having lived in another country to which they nearly always long to return or about which they have vivid dreams. The chart as a whole will have to be studied in order to assess whether returning to what seems so familiar will help or hinder. It may be that by going back, a person will be better able to call up from the unconscious valuable understanding, which may help him to find the way forward .

As for houses in signs, try this link http://www.astrologyweekly.com/learn-astrology/houses-in-signs.php

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wilsontc

Staff member
planets in houses first

Lynns,

Different astrologers will do this differently. Personally, I look FIRST for any planets in the house and then interpret them in the "normal," simple way. If there are planets in a house, I don't bother with trying to find the position of the planet which rules the cusp of that house, I simply focus on the planets actually in the house.

If I get to an empty house, then I look to the sign on the cusp (edge) of the house and find where the planetary ruler is in the chart. I then interpret the planet in the normal way, and refer this interpretation BACK to the empty house.

If, in your example, the 5th house was empty, I would look to the sign on the cusp of the house, Cancer in this case. I would next look for the position of the Moon. Moon is in the 9th house, so I would interpret the Moon: Moon (home, also emotion) focused in the 9th house (expansion, also wisdom) may indicate a kind of intense (expansive) emotions or "emotional understanding" in a person. I now apply this definition BACK to the 5th house (self-expression): when this person focuses on expressing themselves, there may experience some kind of intense emotions or some kind of "emotional understanding".

That is the easy part...telling what energy is indicated. As to what it MEANS...only the person whose chart it is knows for sure! ;)

In an empty house,

Tim

Claire19

Right on with the comment that the planets in the houses take precedent over the ruler of that house. The ascendant ruler or the chart ruler is very significant and its placement and aspects are most telling in a person's life, even to the appearance and persona plus the body type and health issues in many cases.

5th house ruler say for example Moon as it is Cancer on the cusp and the Moon in 9th house can mean having a home overseas, mother is foreign born or can be involved with the judiciary, college tutor or sportsy. Also you can be kindergarten teacher, involved with photography as a hobby, many things.. There are many influences and the aspects must always be taken into consideration and no one factor alone. This the art and science of astrology and takes much practise and experience to merge and synthesise. There is much information on the net available for free download if you are only patient in using Google.

Good luck!!
Claire

Howl

Only a limited resource, but it may interest you:

http://www.cafeastrology.com/risingsignsascendant.html

It describes ascendants, but if you click on the "more on (insert sign) rising" link, it takes you to an interpretation for ascendant ruler in the signs. It doesn't do so for houses, however, but you might gain some ideas.

Also check out the "personal portrait" report from astro.com free horoscope section. It interprets the "ascendant in sign" and then "ascendant ruler in house". Again, only for the ascendant, not for other house cusps, but it might give you some ideas. I found my interpretation (for Cancer Asc, Moon in Gemini) to be rather negative, however.

What I tend to do, for my own purposes, is similar to what Lycksele suggests. For example, for an empty house, I would read the description for "Cancer on the Fifth house cusp" and then read the description for "Moon in the Ninth house", and mentally try to relate the two, play with possibilities of how it might work. Astrologyweekly does provide rather good interpretations, and I just edit out what doesn't ring bells :)

It does get rather complicated to do this with houses that are tenanted. The most difficult, I find, to interpret, are those houses with one sign on the cusp and planets of another sign within the house.

For a really simple example of interpreting this way, I would say the following regarding my Aries Tenth house cusp:

Aries on the MC - driven to assert myself and take intitiative in my career, enjoy a challenge

Virgo Mars in 3H - assert myself in a disciplined, precise manner (Virgo) though thought and communications (3H)

So, I end up asserting myself, career wise, through study, conceptual thought, precise writing and speech. That is actually rather true for me, the connection is quite clear in this case. For an example of some excellent astrologers :D dealing with this way of interpreting (looking at the rulers of houses in signs and in other houses) see the thread: Is your current profession related to your MC?". There are plenty examples of this kind of interpretation floating around, but this is the thread with the highest concentration I could think of ;)

Last edited:

Claire19

Hi Lynns

Just thought of another one!!!!. 5th house ruler the Moon in 9th can mean adopting a child born overseas or you have a child whilst living away from your home country. You need also to look at the aspects to the Moon and what sign it is in to get a fuller picture as has been mentioned here on this site already.

Claire

Claire19

Lynns said:
Hi people,

I'm not sure where to post this, but Natal Astrology forum seemed the most appropriate.

I am wondering if there is a resource, or anyone knows how to interpret ruler of houses in houses?

For example if the ruler of your fifth house is cancer, and the moon is in the 9th house, what does that mean? Or if your ruler of seventh house is in Leo and the sun is in the 8th what does it mean?

I have tried to search google but can't seem to find any resource for it.

Or is it up to your interpretation, like if the ruler of the fifth is in the ninth, it means you will find romance either abroad or in learning institutions?

Thanks,
Lynn

This question can probably be answered if you Google free astrology lessons and also there are textbooks dealing with it.

If you have your Moon in 9th as ruler of the 5th it can mean having a child with a foreigner or abroad or your hobby may be armchair travel, philosophies and searching for universal truths. So many scenarios depending on the other planets and aspects. It can bring luck with gambling and speculation......etc etc....

Scorpio80

Banned
can someone interpret ruler of the 8th in the 7th?
I find it hard tobeleive its about death!:mad: .
Wouldn't it mean a scorpionic partner? very emotionally invested to their partner?

Scorpio80 said:
Wouldn't it mean a scorpionic partner? very emotionally invested to their partner?

depends a lot on the planet ruling the 8th house of course? but would suggest that you may well be in business with a partner and share joint finances. Not sure why you mention death, as no one can predict or guess correctly as to this, so dont waste any brain cells hon.....

Night Sky

This seems to be the most detailed page on the web at the moment

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/rulersofhousesinhouses.html

Howl has already posted it but, I think is quite good.

Obviously a lot of it comes down to the actual planet and its aspects to really get down to precise things.

For me, I´d like to try some comparisons with inverting houses, like 1st ruler in the 8th as compared with 8th ruler in the first, or 7th ruler in 1st and 1st ruler in 7th.

The houses are linked together, but in completely different ways.

waybread

One book that I would really recommend is Karen Hamer-Zondag, The House Connection. I don't know if it is still in print, but should be available through a used Internet book seller. She says that the house over which a planet rules serves the purposes of the house in which that planet stands.

So If Cancer is on the cusp of your 5th house, and your moon is in the 9th, look to the 9th house for information on how your 5th house is liable to operate. Also look to aspects to your moon for some sense as to whether your 5th house energies will be expressed easily or with difficulty, and why.

Here, too, you really need to look at the whole chart. Someone with a "love affairs" focus (maybe a Venus in Sagittarius) might enjoy traveling to overseas singles resorts, or might look to meet people at university or during travels. Someone with a "children" emphasis might be interested in helping AIDS orphans in South Africa. Someone with a "creative expression" chart (maybe a Neptune trine Venus) emphasis might love to study art in Paris or Italy.

I agree with Tim that a planet in a house is the most important thing, but Hamaker-Zondag's methd is very helpful for interpreting untenanted houses; or for houses where you can't quite grasp the expression of the planets within them.

waybread

Scorpio80 said:

The ruler of the 8th in the 7th might suggest someone very oriented towards a long-term sexual relationship. The 8th represents sexuality as well as death. It also represents "shared resources" so it could suggest that someone's money (8th) comes from a marriage or perhaps a business partnership (7th). Just play around with the chart for a bit and see what fits. Obviously if a planet in the 7th is the sun, it will play out differently than if it is Saturn.

Polo

This is how I do all my research. Just type in key words in Google and Google book. "The ruler of the seventh house in the eighth...."
You'll find plenty of information.

greenastrologer

i love google too but what i have found, since i joined this board, is that when i see questions or suggestions on this kind of thing, i go back to all my charts and start to look for connections -- most of the charts i have are people i know quite well so i know not only some tangible 'facts' but also some personal feelings/emotions type stuff and it never fails that i learn quite a bit by what is right there on the page ... lots of eureka moments thanks to you guys! for putting out the question first and making suggestions as to the answers

Claire19

Re: planets in houses first

wilsontc said:
Lynns,

Different astrologers will do this differently. Personally, I look FIRST for any planets in the house and then interpret them in the "normal," simple way. If there are planets in a house, I don't bother with trying to find the position of the planet which rules the cusp of that house, I simply focus on the planets actually in the house.

If I get to an empty house, then I look to the sign on the cusp (edge) of the house and find where the planetary ruler is in the chart. I then interpret the planet in the normal way, and refer this interpretation BACK to the empty house.

If, in your example, the 5th house was empty, I would look to the sign on the cusp of the house, Cancer in this case. I would next look for the position of the Moon. Moon is in the 9th house, so I would interpret the Moon: Moon (home, also emotion) focused in the 9th house (expansion, also wisdom) may indicate a kind of intense (expansive) emotions or "emotional understanding" in a person. I now apply this definition BACK to the 5th house (self-expression): when this person focuses on expressing themselves, there may experience some kind of intense emotions or some kind of "emotional understanding".

That is the easy part...telling what energy is indicated. As to what it MEANS...only the person whose chart it is knows for sure! ;)

In an empty house,

Tim

Right on! I have Moon ruling 5th and it is square Pluto Leo so fear of childbirth and no children born. So rulers for empty houses are very telling.