Playlist of the Week(music)

conspiracy theorist

What is there to elaborate? There are a lot of barriers to entry for local artists here, and the world loves our music. Lots of people have a better chance of not only gaining recognition overseas, but earning way more than they could if they stayed within the confines of the island - our dollar is deplorable and culturally folks at the top rather scramble for the scraps than to give legitimate young talent a chance. Then dancehall is the dominant genre here, not reggae.

The artist Koffee is the most recent example of an internationally acclaimed reggae singer/songwriter that is Jamaican born - she has a relatability and wholesomeness that I think contributes to her wide-ranging acceptance from the public, but it's not like we are churning out that breed of artist all the time. Most try to go the route of "deejay" in the more hardcore,violent and gritty style of dancehall. I'd say most of the development and evolution of reggae comes from other countries and individuals who feel a love and affinity for the genre.

SunConjunctUranus

Like for example when I googled "why Jamaican dislike reggae?" Then google shows an off-question article like "Why do Jamaican hate gay people?" by the Guardians. So, that's why your presence and explanation is very valuable nontheless.

conspiracy theorist

Reggae is not disliked, but it's secondary to the popularity of dancehall. Reggae could even be described as a more spiritual genre for Jamaica since it has a closer connection to Rastafarianism. Dancehall connects to a lot of down-to-earth, secular and day-to-day issues in the average person's life here, and the tone is more aggressive, harsh and vulgar. Many live difficult and short lives filled with a lot of aggression, harshness and vulgarity so dancehall gives voice to a very loud part of the Jamaican soul.

SunConjunctUranus

I see. It actually connect with your persinal life aswell, as have you already talked about it. But mind me if I ask question. I knew a lot of Jamaican people in New York, have you think about move aboard?