Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

serafin5

These are all my favourite ways to do astrology. :happy:

1. I am always judgemental.
2. My favourite pastime is to go around preaching.
3. I do try to be clever, but it never comes across.
4. I always generalize and stereotype.
5. I always panic under transits, but that's 99% of the fun, all the waiting and anticipating. It's quite the adrenaline rush.
6. Under Jupiter-Venus transits I always get money. The law of attraction is a powerful thing.
7. I always talk about my chart as proof of astrology.
8. I refuse to move under bad transits
9. I am Hypersensitive
10. There is no free will we are doomed.
I commit the 10 deadly sins of Astrology.:devil:

Tee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee.:smile:

Rebel Uranian

That is awesome. 'Cept I could never try to pull those on someone I'm working with because I'm totally insensitive and I can't hide that very well :/ But don't move under bad transits! :ninja:

Fulcrum

Well, no, actually you don't. You have limited Free Will. You can choose what to eat for breakfast or dinner, and a few other banal, trivial and inconsequential things, but that's about it. Your life is predetermined.

When the end is known, you will have done everything the Planets said you would (or would not) do exactly for the reasons the Planets divined, and the Primary Directions, Profections, Secondary Progressions and Transits will bear that out and prove it beyond any doubt.

If that was not true, then there would be no point in studying astrology.

I'll agree with that to a point. If your last statement is in fact true, then there would be no point in working with the planets to surmount those natal tendencies that hold us back and keep us from evolving.

And whoever it was that said "the wise man rules his stars, the fool is ruled by them" will have been proven a liar, along with everyone who says that those natal tendencies aren't etched in stone.

I sincerely hope I am misunderstanding what you're saying here.

leonardyuri

It should not affect one's life because Astrology may sounds strong but in reality its just a guide to enhance your life in every aspect. At the end of the day its still you who will decide on every details in your life. Its up to you if you believe it but in case yes why not use it as an option and not as your only choice. Remember, we are the captain of our own ship so whatever happens to us in the end it still us who decide on it.

It should not affect one's life because Astrology may sounds strong but in reality its just a guide to enhance your life in every aspect. At the end of the day its still you who will decide on every details in your life. Its up to you if you believe it but in case yes why not use it as an option and not as your only choice. Remember, we are the captain of our own ship so whatever happens to us in the end it still us who decide on it.

I agree, plus I like past life regressionist Brian Weiss, author, teacher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVJfAXp_Hc

serafin5

I agree but only up to a certain point: I found out the hard way that bad things happen to good people all the time.:sad:

Most people won't believe you when you tell them anyway.

Dont even bring up astrology unless your asked, or around similar company, or ull just wind up defending it to close minded bigots.

PaxMercurius

- Believing that Astrology is in some way correlated with lucky numbers and lotto tickets.

- Adding in every asteroid and harmonic gadget.

- Giving readings on the assumption that the natal chart is the executor of someone's life, rather than the roadmap.

Probably the biggest 'don't', imo, is reading each point and sign in a chart discretely, and not as a part of a whole system...

hypnotiqu3

Astrology is another language. Some of us are fluent, some of us are practicing/studying, and some wish not to speak it. :love:

Claire19

Good thread title, I like it as well...

I can't figure out 10 such don'ts. Instead, I'm going to rely on your help to find them!

I start:

When talking to an astrologer friend, never try to convince him/her about anything by bringing up your natal chart details, such as "I say this because my rising sign is Sagittarius and that means that I like fair play". It never works, only generates a reply like "Yes, but me too, I have..." and then you feel sorry you brought that up.

Ok, your turn!
It is a mistake to to say that any rising sign means such and such. It is much more complicated than that....Everyone with a Sagittarius rising for instance will be very different. Depends on the ruler Jupiter for instance. This is amateur astro talk.....what you quote....

Claire19

Most people won't believe you when you tell them anyway.

Dont even bring up astrology unless your asked, or around similar company, or ull just wind up defending it to close minded bigots.
that is so true. It is a complex subject and need great experience and study to achieve competence.... The Church has a lot to do with the prejudice not to mention the daily star sign column in publications which are also rubbish..

Claire19

You've got the whole notion of astrology!!
Another greast mistake is to memorize ready made interpretations from books and articles and use them as dictionary. Free will is so strong that we cannot guarantee how cosmic energies work through human individualities

thus we cannot read fully a chart without knowing one person at all
This is true and people expect you to read their chart without knowing a thing about them.. It is not clairvoyance....We do have free will but astrology can give guidance and trends and we do tend to act according to our natal charts which is an expression of our inherent nature and karma......

Astrology doesn't help you directly and doesn't create opportunities for you. You'll have to create your own opportunities. Astrology merely points out: "Look stupid, this is an opportunity!". Astrology will not help you get a job, if there're are no jobs and you don't know to do anything, unless you are a professional astrologer or an astrology site webmaster, of course ;) Astrology will not get you a good relationship, but will help you understand your relationships. Astrology will not help you win the lottery, but rather explain to you why you didn't (that one is really a bummer, I should probably change it...).

This is the one i consider the most important.

Nice thread, so I had to wake it up.
What comes to mind:

Don't give the parents a reading of a newborn baby's chart.
Children have enough of a hard time anyway with their parents' expectations.
Actually, I'm very reluctant to do a reading for anyone but the person whose chart it is, but that's particularly important with children.
And I'd feel very uncomfortable making a chart reading for a child, to begin with.

Don't jump to conclusions about the concrete manifestations of astrological components and events.
A natal sun in the 12th house, a Mars transit, et cetera - they are forces at play that should be explained as such to the client, who is probably better suited to figure out how that might be expressed in his or her life.

Don't be insensitive to the client's possible reactions.
Especially when bringing up misfortune and threats, one needs to be very careful not to create a bigger problem than the one indicated by the astrological reading. The less I know somebody, the more careful I get with what I dare say, and how bluntly.

Don't forget your own blind spots.
Every astrologer has strong sides and weak sides when it comes to readings. I'm quite blind to certain things and very alert to others. If I forget that, each reading becomes prejudiced.

There's more, but the thread is already long...

Yours,
Stefan Stenudd
http://www.horoscoper.net

vlsmercury7

When I was studying an astrology course back in 2003, the course writer had one simple rule that I still use today. That is not to rely on astrology, but to use it for guidance purposes only. Keep a healthy cynicism and ask questions. Yes, the planets and signs do have an influence, but they don't make you do things - you still have free will.

I always use this in the introduction to my reports. That way, the client is less likely to become fatalistic. Remember that some clients, particularly those who have little knowledge of astrology, are looking to you as a type of counsellor, and if they are vulnerable, they can easily take every word you say for real and then blame you when things go wrong or don't work out as they hoped.

I don't use astrology to make predictions either. I have nothing against astrological predictions; it's just something I don't specialize in. That is something that many non-astrologers don't understand. They see horoscopes in newspapers and magazines and think that's what most of us do, when in fact, the subject is much much deeper than that. I think Sun sign astrology and horoscopes have a role to play, as it's often the step people take in getting into astrology in the first place, but I like to look at the whole picture and peel away the layers of a personality and analyze each layer before putting it all back together again.

Emerald

Astrology doesn't help you directly and doesn't create opportunities for you. You'll have to create your own opportunities. Astrology merely points out: "Look stupid, this is an opportunity!". Astrology will not help you get a job, if there're are no jobs and you don't know to do anything, unless you are a professional astrologer or an astrology site webmaster, of course ;) Astrology will not get you a good relationship, but will help you understand your relationships. Astrology will not help you win the lottery, but rather explain to you why you didn't (that one is really a bummer, I should probably change it...).
I disagree with this one though. It helps. It prevented me on entering bad relationships and seeing other people for their flaws that would hurt me or make me enter into a bad relationship and to analyse them more. And it helped me to be sure of a relationship that was hard to get closer to the person but that it was good after i risked it. Helps to know how to get somewhere, how the person answers to some inputs and how to get what you want from almost anyone. Also helped me understand a little why I dont like what i was doing in past career wise.