The Moon in Dignity and Debility

Arian Maverick

This series of threads was created with the intention of discussing the influence of planetary dignity and debility in natal astrology. Each planet has been designated its own thread and a quick reference sheet of this planet's dignity and debility has been provided.

Dignity:

• The Moon exerts rulership over Cancer
  • The Moon is exalted in Taurus

Debility:
  • The Moon is in its detriment in Capricorn
  • The Moon is in its fall in Scorpio

Arian Maverick

ShadowRain

Natively I have a Scorpio Moon and it's quite difficult to live with. I already have a preponderance of water in my chart and having the Scorp Moon just pushes me over the edge sometimes. I find that I over react entirely to certain situations - I don't get angry, I explode. I don't get sad, I get thoroughly depressed. I'm not happy, I'm euphoric etc. This Moon is one of extremes of emotions ... which is hell to live with if you're the life partner :)

Well, my thoughts on the matter.

Howl

Hope I'm not adding to the unfair characterisation of Sorpio moons, but I know two people with a scorpio moon who are borderline manic depressive (HIGH highs and LOW lows, prone to inexplicable fluctuation). Neither takes medication but both have spent significant time learning to self manage their feelings, needs and responses. I love talking to them, no one else is so willing and able to understand, and to help you out when you're in a mess ;) I guess with that placement intense feelings are likely to be one of the things you're going to learn about?

Last edited:

Manic_Monday

My Scorpio Moon and me have a difficult relationship.
Sometimes I love it. I can see through people: I know when they're lying, I know what their motives are. I'm very determined to get what I want. I know how to get to the bottom of things. (Sorehead and nagger are my nicknames :p )
Sometimes I hate it. Like ShadowRain said, I don't get mad, I explode. My Mars is in Taurus, that makes it worse. If glances could kill, mine would be the first to make victims. My moods change all the time, from happy to depressed to flirtatious to insecure to jealous (I'm extremely jealous) etc. I can get really obsessed with things. My Moon - Pluto conjunction makes it all worse.

You bet I'm difficult to live with. There are days you can't do anything right in my eyes.

laliqueviolin

My mom and a few friends have their Moon in Scorpios... I dunno, they are quite interesting people to me when they talk about life and situations. Something about the way they tell a story is so vividly captured.. A friend of mine once saw a hawk in his backyard eating another bird, ripping the feathers out in a splendid flurry.. and then, at a closer inspection to this, he told me how he so much wanted to be that hawk. People just take this as typical animal nature, but it was just simply a unique observation how they connect to life like this. Just wanted to share. :}

ShadowRain

I'm a perfectly normal member of the Unraveling Edge of the Lunatic Fringe :D

One of the advantages of having a Scoprio Moon (as pointed out by Manic Monday) is the fact that you can see through people. Maybe being able to handle (used very broadly) intense emotions, you tend to be able to read people like a book - their REAL motives are easy to see. Also, I find that it is an intensely intuitive and penetrating energy - digging below the surface for the occult or hidden stuff.

Another angle is the relationship with your mother - moon being representative of the maternal energies in your chart. Apparently, having a Scorpio Moon means you've got real issues with your mother. Quite frankly, I have a wonderful relationship with both parents. My mother can be a little obsessive about my health and well being (she's trying to cut down to phoning me once a week instead of every 2 days :) ) - maybe that's the Scorpionic influence.

Intense feelings can be exceptionally liberating. In society we have to observe the social niceties, keep a stiff upper lip and just fit in. I find I rebel ... if you have your handbag stolen in a shopping centre, it's perfectly fine to throw a screaming tantrum in the middle of the store. Bottling up those emotions can lead to some serious health problems later.

We love and loath with equal intensity ... difficult to live with, but what would you do without us ;)

Well I have to say that my partner and his dad and step-mum all have scorpio moon. My partner and his dad are fine, completely normal emotionally.

Last edited:

ShadowRain

Hi 23 - that's one of the problems with a Scorpio Moon - it's like being a super sensitive arial for moods ... and you can't switch it off nor block it out. Some handle it better than others, but that depends on their own mood too :D Interesting that it's a dymanic in the entire family ...

So what does it feel like to have something other than a Scorpio Moon?

Manic_Monday

I often wonder what it would be like to have a different moonsign. It's a difficult Moon placement, and often I don't know where my strong feelings come from and how to handle them. I don't have big issues with my mother. It's more that I have a mother complex myself!
'Don't do that - you're going to hurt yourself!'
'Don't put that glass on the edge of the table - it's going to drop, I can see it happen!'
'Shouldn't you be doing your homework now? You have to do it, or else your grades will be very bad. You need good grades, you know that. You should be working very hard!'
'You can't trust that guy, he's unreliable! I just know. And he's way too old for you.'

lilllybelle

I tend to draw a lot of moon in scorpios into my life. I like them a lot. I feel like I am dealing with a very authentic true person whenever I am w/ a moon in Scorpio. I'm not really sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I have learned to get more in touch with my vindictive unforgiving side from hanging around moon in scorpios. If you ***** with a moon in scorpio they don't seem to have a problem with punishing you for it. I've also seen a marked difference between the moon in scorpios whos charts supports their moon and the ones who chart doesn't support their moon. My exhusband had moon in scorpio, acquaris rising, sun in gemini, and sun and mars in aries. This was not a moon in scorpio user friendly chart. I saw a lot of the more negative moon in scorpio traits in him. I've often thought that the moon in scorpios act more like scorpios than sun sign scorpios. My ex told me that when he was in kindergarden this other little boy used to pick on him. One day when the little boy was standing at the top of a snow pile, my ex came up and shoved him as hard as he could down the snow pile. The little boy layed there with blood on him, while my ex stood at the top of the hill staring at him. He wanted the other little boy to know that he was the one who shoved him. My ex said he remembers knowing in that moment that was how you dealt with people. That's some intense energy. I know that sometimes moon in scorpios can drive me crazy because it feels like they are trying to control me or posses me. An exboyfriend of mine also has this placement. A few weeks ago he got bothered that I wasn't able to spend more time with him. His english isn't that good. He was able to spit out "I WANT", and I thought lord if this isn't fitting of his moon sign, then I dont' know what is. The one thing he manages to say, I want. All the same I love moon in scorpios I feel like they speak my inner language, they are just more fluent than I am at the language of desire and being o.k. with all the heavy feelings. Lilllybelle

lilllybelle

Hey, this is just something I've been wondering about. I wonder if the attraction I have for moon in scorpios can be seen in my chart. I understand that they teach me a lot on an emotional level, but there is something in my chart that would indicate the connection that I have with moon in scorpios. The only thing I can think of is my moon is in the 2nd house and my mars and venus is in the 8th. I was born 05-29-77 @ 1:12 P.M. in Columbus, GA. If anyone could solve the mystery of why I have so many moon in scorpios in my life, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also open to the idea that it is different things that brings me to these people, and it is just a cocidence that they all have a moon in scorpio. It could also be that I am just youst to their energy now, so I go with what is familiar. Lilllybelle

Howl

Lillybelle, excellent tale :)

My exhusband had moon in scorpio
I thought you somehow got rid of his scorpio moon. Then I realised that you got rid of him :D

Mmm, my 'closest' experience with a scorpio moon is with someone who has that scorpio Moon conjunct Saturn (ouch for them!) and opposing their Sun (ouch again!). His Moon/Saturn is actually conjunt my 4H Jupiter/Ceres conjunction (as it turns out, ouch for me!!) His moon and my Jupiter/Ceres got along fine. Big big emotion, lots of silent intense combustion. His Saturn and myself, however, did not see eye to eye (well, it's easy for me to blame his Saturn ;)) Even now that we aren't closely involved, he's so darned inscrutable, super-sensitive, poker-faced, he's like a silenced emotional furnace. Implosion on mute. You can feel it a mile away but you can't see it, can't hear it. Wow it's amazing, that scorpio moon. I feel like he's scanning me everytime he sees my face, doing a baseline emotional assessment.

He'd often open a conversation by asking how I was, and saying that I looked (insert emotional state here). He either watches people intently when they're speaking, or withdraws eye contact altogether, depending on circumstances. I find the latter rather unnerving. He said a few things about myself and my motives that I only realised were true at a later date. Not that I couldn't do the same for him and other people, but it's rare that people do so for me (other than with the benefit of my natal chart ;))

Funny, I'm ok with that much intensity, I actually find it very comfortable (his Moon conjucnt my Ceres) but I do wish he could release a little more of it (hah, my Jupiter conjunct his Saturn). I do have an absolutely endless sense of fondness for him. Fortunately for me, and for the rest of womankind (he is painfully attractive :D) he appears to manage an exceptionally challenging chart in quite a positive manner. It's probably still a good thing that he's not my nearest and dearest ;)

Last edited:

Nackie

I have a taurus moon, supposedly exalted, but I would rather another moon sign, myself.

My taurus moon is my only earth sign, and a saturn in cancer my only water. I've got a fire predominance almost equalled by air, so I find the earthiness of the taurus moon hard to handle.

As a gemini I like to be spontaneous, but the moon sometimes holds me back (the libra asc doesn't help much either)--keeping me waffling between "I'm gonna do it!" and "Oh, g*d no, stay home!" The fire in me wants to get started (aries constellation) and the moon says "yawn,--we can do that tomorrow". The only thing it doesn't seem to get in the way of is my intellectual thirst--but then again, there is no risk in surfing the net or reading, and hey--it's a good time to be able to munch on stuff! :p

As a gem I'm naturally sceptical about things and people till it's been proved to me. The moon wants to take everyone at face value, it's quite naive and happy to be that way.

And also as a gem with a lot of aries influence, I'm a bit of a hothead, but I tend to carry out anger in myself, wouldn't want to rock the boat! And then, because I get angry fast, and usually get over it fast, but if you anger me enough (I haven't told you you make me mad, that would disturb the harmony) then there is absolutely NO WAY that you are making it into my good graces again. All the thinking and rationalizing that my gem sun does CAN NOT change that way of thinking in me. If you've hit rock bottom in my book, that's it--for good. I really despise that in myself.

So I think that detriment or exalted in a chart has less to do with the planets in their positions, but in how the whole operates in the chart.

My saggie son has a cappy moon. I do find it difficult to understand him emotionally. He tends to pull away and clam up when there is a problem, whereas for me that is definitely a time where I would be a cuddler (although I'm generally not a touchy person).

Interesting topic, especially as the moon is not "logical" and so it is hard to step back and see the affects it has on your personality.

Nackie

Howl

So I think that detriment or exalted in a chart has less to do with the planets in their positions, but in how the whole operates in the chart

Excellent point! I would tend to agree :). Just like you, I have only one water and one earth placement, and those (plus water ascendant and north node) are the ones that I struggle with, regardless of whether they are dignified or not (although I am sure that dignity and debility adds significance).

Just think if you didn't have that Taurean Moon, how very much more difficult it would be to understand all the earth lessons life throws you!

Nackie

This is true!

I guess there are worse things to be, but sometimes it's hard to be a venusian in this world. I have a libra asc, 7th house taurus moon and a leo venus conj. MC, squaring both asc and moon/DC...lots of venus energy there! I think sometimes that I can't see between what's due to the asc and what to the moon.

But no one needs that saturn placement as the only water! :) hehe Don't even think it helps at all with understanding water signs--exactly the opposite!

Nackie

Moon Shadow

I got a scorpio moon in my solar return for this year and my natal moon is capricorn...oh my God and Moon is so very much important in my chart because my ascendant is cancer and NN conj to ascendant...
Indeed it's not easy to have a scorpio moon , but also not easy to have a capricorn moon. It's interesting to observe each year, because of the new solar return, how are our feelings changing according to moon sign in solar return ( another difficult moon will be for me , next solar return , pisces moon).

Claire19

Scorpio Moon is an intense placement and depending on its aspects, can work for good or evil. It can be very healing and transforming, but always intense. It can be dominating, controlling and murderous. I have my Moon in Taurus squaring Pluto so it is similar. They are both fixed energies and wont give in to each other. My sister, grandmother and now my mother has breast cancer and wont and didnt survive it. It is a warning to have frequent health checks if you have any challenging Pluto aspects. I believe three challenging aspects will indicate dangerous tumours. Forewarned is forearmed.

Claire

Moon Shadow

You are very much right, Claire, i also observed Moon square Pluto is an indicator of breast cancer or dangereous tumors.
You said
I believe three challenging aspects will indicate dangerous tumours.

Can you detail a little, please?