ANATTA chatter

JUPITERASC

the-self-is-fundamentally-an-illusion-arising-as-a-reflection-of-the-soul-in-matter-much-as-a-clear-quote-1.jpg

JUPITERASC

"....Once we discover that this practice of looking into ourselves
is actually the main practice of Dharma
we can see that the notion of path
and
destination
is simply an analogy :smile:
there is not an actual place
some literal destination called liberation
that we come to.
The true picture is simpler:
we are becoming more familiar with ourselves....."

“Traveling the path” means
that we gain increasingly profound experience of our true nature.
As we see this abiding nature more clearly
we are truly traversing the path
— this is how we actually arrive at the destination called liberation.
Understanding this
we know that liberation is not someplace outside of us
and the path to it is simply a process of seeing more deeply.
by HH THE KARMAPA OGYEN TRINLEY DORJE

82896390_816282895463356_3084022020174774272_n.jpg

petosiris

Banned

The artist of this meme makes an assumption about the appearance of Jesus, which is never described in the New Testament for our sake. The first attempts of describing him appear after the late second century (afaik) and they range from very ugly to very beautiful. Furthermore, I am not sure if any painting can even represent the transfiguration of Jesus which is described as his glory. What is more important is that God does not judge his anointed by his appearance or stature, but by his heart (1 Samuel 16).

The fat Buddha figures to my knowledge actually depict a legendary Buddhist monk named Budai, not Gautama Buddha. The idols of Gautama you can find worshipped in Buddhist temples are considered by most historians to be a Hellenistic innovation following the conquests of Alexander the Great. However, some of the Buddhist writings contain plentiful majestic descriptions of his appearance not seen in any human that are not capable of being represented by said idols.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

The artist of this meme makes an assumption about the appearance of Jesus, which is never described in the New Testament for our sake. The first attempts of describing him appear after the late second century (afaik) and they range from very ugly to very beautiful. Furthermore, I am not sure if any painting can even represent the transfiguration of Jesus which is described as his glory.

The fat Buddha figures to my knowledge actually depict a legendary Buddhist monk named Budai, not Gautama Buddha. The idols of Gautama you can find worshipped in Buddhist temples are considered by most historians to be a Hellenistic innovation following the conquests of Alexander the Great. However, some of the Buddhist writings contain plentiful majestic descriptions of his appearance not seen in any human that are not capable of being represented by said idols.

bh01fj2io8.jpg

well-thats-the-last-time-i-trust-a-pilgrim-i-swear_o_3308033.jpg

d4wi1ez-b0933287-9b20-4205-9fc6-8400ef07c31a.jpg

petosiris

Banned
Error 404: Self not found. All is one, update and restart your hardware. :bandit:

Buddhism does not claim that all is one, but rather that it is empty. Hence non-self. :smile:

Personally I believe in metaphysical pluralism, making distinction between things, rather than making less distinction between things. Different properties can't reflect one substance, unless by quantity, which would mean many substances.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Buddhism does not claim that all is one, but rather that it is empty.
Hence non-self. :smile:
Personally I believe in metaphysical pluralism, making distinction between things,
rather than making less distinction between things.
Different properties can't reflect one substance, unless by quantity,
which would mean many substances.
d8d32ceb0fb882b7d9d71a66d9511611.jpg

Monism is the second dumbest idea next to nihilism.
Pluralism is an implicit concept of a rational human
(and probably not only) being.
Quotes-by-Srila-Prabhupada-on-Whole-Process-of-Vedic-Knowledge.jpg

1bee6225b3dd0c0466337a9476e3f5a9.jpg

7bfd2ab47d97d3db3b27f7ab83ccfb40.jpg

382262642.jpg