21st Centruy Astrology

Frisiangal

In the 'Read My Chart' Section, under 'Mars Transit in same sign........', forum member 'Spock' in answering the querent provides two personally written articles concerning the importance (if any) of astrological cycles. IMHO the articles are, or can be become quite inspirational to the enthusiast learning astrology from the modern perspective.
Truly worth a read.:smile:

In Section 5 of 'After Symbolism', he makes the comment, quote:
'In years to come I expect more astrologers will be more fully empirical'.

In recent years I have felt that the 'tone' of astrology is changing, yet
without being able to put my finger on exactly what it is. I've taken it to be that each generation of astrologers is perceiving other perspectives of astrological symbolism, perhaps according to the position of outer planet position consciousness in their charts?

My personal passion for the health side of astrology and through constant observation of astrological influences has led me to totally believe in their validity because this is 'physically' observeable. This, in turn, has led me to believe there is more to the astrological symbolism through which I was taught than meets the eye, even if I cannot explain 'why' it should be so.

Are there any who wish to discuss specific feelings they have regarding astrological symbolism as per a 21st century interpretation, that concurs with, is different to, has changed from, or is an enlargement upon what the earlier text books/teachers (mentioned in above articles!!) have implied ?

:smile:

muchacho

Excellent topic. I also think that the classics need some serious updates. We are not living in an agrarian society anymore. A post-industrial society has different concerns and values.

Frisiangal

A particular concern of mine is Man's useful-ness becoming useless-ness as the Aquarian age of technology and computerisation takes over and he becomes more and more unnecessary. How will this effect future generations self esteem as an individual ? What will be his 'empirical' reason for living when his efficiency is no longer able to earn his daily bread?
The Virgo-Pisces axis through which Uranus has already passed, Neptune is now in, and Pluto will reach towards mid 21st Century?

Will everyone be expected to be a computer nerd, or that allows a brain outside himself to make all the decisions, rendering his own defunct?
I cannot even buy a loaf of bread if the computerised till at the check out counter undergoes an electrical failure, whilst my own computer in my head may be going a bit rusty, yet can still add and subtract efficiently.

Was the recent Mars project's failure due to Man's calculation mistake or a computer malfunction?

Where would this change of nature be found in today's children's charts
who will be living a future they did or didn't help create? Does it begin with outer planet influence to Mercury?

david starling

A particular concern of mine is Man's useful-ness becoming useless-ness as the Aquarian age of technology and computerisation takes over and he becomes more and more unnecessary. How will this effect future generations self esteem as an individual ? What will be his 'empirical' reason for living when his efficiency is no longer able to earn his daily bread?
The Virgo-Pisces axis through which Uranus has already passed, Neptune is now in, and Pluto will reach towards mid 21st Century?

Will everyone be expected to be a computer nerd, or that allows a brain outside himself to make all the decisions, rendering his own defunct?
I cannot even buy a loaf of bread if the computerised till at the check out counter undergoes an electrical failure, whilst my own computer in my head may be going a bit rusty, yet can still add and subtract efficiently.

Was the recent Mars project's failure due to Man's calculation mistake or a computer malfunction?

Where would this change of nature be found in today's children's charts
who will be living a future they did or didn't help create? Does it begin with outer planet influence to Mercury?

We're all creating the Future with our Mind-waves:)aquarius:). THE TECHNOLOGY IS JUST A CRUTCH until we regain the faculties, especially Astral-vision, that we began losing around 6000 years ago, and then lost almost entirely during this Direct-movement, Mundane (Tropical) Age of Capricorn. The children are in the lead, one Age-degree Generation after another. Frisiangal, remember when WE were the leading Generation!? :cool:

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Every generation produces its leaders...... and followers, David. I am not disputing that.

I am hypothetically wondering in what fashion 21st century astrology will unfold from the 'empirical' view expressed in the articles mentioned. If and when the human entity is no longer 'functional' in the manner it has been since the long distant past, in what way will its development evolve that serves......or not serves.....the future yet to come?

Aquarius is a sign of humanitarian involvement. Its mind waves are non-emotionally focused. They would serve an Aquarian age in which 'bonding ties' play no part. A simple example is that of 'Artificial' child care instead of home care, which is already becoming a natural force these days. Will its effect have an impact upon and influence future generations?

I have difficulty perceiving how development through Aquarius will influence the 'empirical mind' totality, which I have always understood to be a Pisces (age) sentiments. How can such a shift occur without the spirit of Pisces sensitivity of feeling that has been so apparent in the last 2000 years?
(Maybe that's a question I shouldn't ask of a strong Pisces orientated individual??:biggrin:)

It's just my mind trying to find answers to a single line statement.:smile:

david starling

Every generation produces its leaders...... and followers, David. I am not disputing that.

I am hypothetically wondering in what fashion 21st century astrology will unfold from the 'empirical' view expressed in the articles mentioned. If and when the human entity is no longer 'functional' in the manner it has been since the long distant past, in what way will its development evolve that serves......or not serves.....the future yet to come?

Aquarius is a sign of humanitarian involvement. Its mind waves are non-emotionally focused. They would serve an Aquarian age in which 'bonding ties' play no part. A simple example is that of 'Artificial' child care instead of home care, which is already becoming a natural force these days. Will its effect have an impact upon and influence future generations?

I have difficulty perceiving how development through Aquarius will influence the 'empirical mind' totality, which I have always understood to be a Pisces (age) sentiments. How can such a shift occur without the spirit of Pisces sensitivity of feeling that has been so apparent in the last 2000 years?
(Maybe that's a question I shouldn't ask of a strong Pisces orientated individual??:biggrin:)

Aquarian Mind-waves CONTAIN water (emotion), which is why it's the Sign known as the Water-bearer. We're used to the rather austere and emotionally disconnected Sun in Aquarius, but the Sun rules Leo, and isn't at home in Aquarius. That gives a wrong impression of the tenor of the Age, in which there will be an outpouring of emotion (symbolized by the original, ancient-Babylonian version, the overflowing basin). The Aquarian Mind-waves link to the Moon, through the Lunar Nodes.
Great confusion is caused by mistaking the Mundane Age of Tropical Capricorn, with its Direct-motion, for the Spiritual Age of Sidereal Pisces, which has Retrograde movement. It's the Mundane Ages which are about our material, temporal existence. This is a perfectly natural transition from Tropical-Capricorn to Aquarius playing out in the Earth's Ecliptical energy-field. A confluence of factors in my own Chart enables me to see it and feel it so clearly. Just wish I could EXPRESS it more clearly!:sad:

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Aquarian Mind-waves CONTAIN water (emotion), which is why it's the Sign known as the Water-bearer

This is another case of a constant eyebrow raiser for me. Maybe European astrology has another focus?
I was brought up with the teaching that the :aquarius: 'pouring' from the jug carried in the sign called Aquarius WERE mind waves. Aquarius may not even be an apt name for what the sign represents. Admittedly, 'Aqua' does mean water, yet the significance of Air as a pure element does not contain water. To me the glyph resembles more the 'free flowing quality of the human mind'.

I wonder what came first; the glyph or the name.:smile:

Great confusion is caused by mistaking the Mundane Age of Tropical Capricorn, with its Direct-motion, for the Spiritual Age of Sidereal Pisces, which has Retrograde movement

I never knew there were two astrological 'ages' for a same period, thinking that precession was an astronomical fact, and you can't argue with fact (not if you're Taurus-minded:wink:). I'll have to read up about the Mundane Ages and the ideas covering their existence.

david starling

This is another case of a constant eyebrow raiser for me. Maybe European astrology has another focus?
I was brought up with the teaching that the :aquarius: 'pouring' from the jug carried in the sign called Aquarius WERE mind waves. Aquarius may not even be an apt name for what the sign represents. Admittedly, 'Aqua' does mean water, yet the significance of Air as a pure element does not contain water. To me the glyph resembles more the 'free flowing quality of the human mind'.

I never knew there were two astrological 'ages' for a same period, thinking that precession was an astronomical fact, and you can't argue with fact (not if you're Taurus-minded:wink:). I'll have to read up about the Mundane Ages and the ideas covering their existence.

Interesting. Most Modern-astrologers assume the glyph is about lightning apropos electricity. I had to realize they were Mind-waves on my own! But the Aqua in Aquarius definitely is about water, if words are to mean anything. The key is that Aquarius values and transmits emotion without being overwhelmed by it. Metaphorically, the air we breathe, the "atmosphere", contains water-vapor, which condenses ("Fixed", in the ancient Alchemical language referred to consolidated, condensed, crystallized, and, hardened), and becomes rain that falls from "the Heavens".
As far as the Mundane nature of the Tropical Ages, I realized THAT when Robert Zoller described Sidereal-astrology as spiritually oriented, and Tropical as being about mundane existence. He stopped short of realizing that there are Tropical Ages as well as Sidereal. I was compelled to discover that on my own. It appears the Muse of Astrology, Urania (which is what they SHOULD have named the Planet just beyond Saturn, especially because they insist on calling her the Muse of Astronomy), is insisting I write an actual book on the subject, but I'm resisting. Happy to explain what led to the idea, if you're interested.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Interesting. Most Modern-astrologers assume the glyph is about lightning apropos electricity.
I didn't add that idea in order not to make a reply become too technically involved.
Yet it does influence how one thinks about the sign's active meaning.

I had to realize they were Mind-waves on my own!
As one young budding astrologer said MANY moons ago, 'nobody has an original thought'.:smile: I discovered that for myself when, after 3 years of personal research into the astrological point Black Moon Lilith, I finally looked on internet to see what others had to say. There was a lot of difference in thought, yet I was quite amazed that I appeared to be travelling along the same road as many others.

But the Aqua in Aquarius definitely is about water, if words are to mean anything. The key is that Aquarius values and transmits emotion without being overwhelmed by it. Metaphorically, the air we breathe, the "atmosphere", contains water-vapor, which condenses ("Fixed", in the ancient Alchemical language referred to consolidated, condensed, crystallized, and, hardened), and becomes rain that falls from "the Heavens".
Yet there are 'electric storms' caused by Air pressures banging up against each other that do not produce rain. There has to be water available somewhere that is picked up and then to fall 'as gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath.'
I'm paraphrasing a reputable astrologer who has greatly inspired my own thoughts, who stated that no element is actually considered 'pure' in itself.
Thinking about that, in order to study astrology, in which an element defines temperament, this purity should be considered. Each sign of the same temperament increases the essence of its purity. Maybe it's when applying planetary influence to a sign that this true essence of purity gets lost.

As far as the Mundane nature of the Tropical Ages, I realized THAT when Robert Zoller described Sidereal-astrology as spiritually oriented, and Tropical as being about mundane existence. He stopped short of realizing that there are Tropical Ages as well as Sidereal. I was compelled to
discover that on my own. It appears the Muse of Astrology, Urania (which is what they SHOULD have named the Planet just beyond Saturn, especially because they insist on calling her the Muse of Astronomy), is insisting I write an actual book on the subject, but I'm resisting. Happy to explain what led to the idea, if you're interested.
There was also talk that it should have been names Prometheus. To my mind that fits the mythology behind the sign and temperament better...... unless you consider that Uranus was castrated by his own son, freeing him of the mundane yet emotional desires of Scorpio on the same cross.

I have never studied Sidereal and Esoterical astrology and its effects upon the human mind. I'm still far too grounded. I love our planet Earth.....the real Garden of Eden'?

Please feel free to explain your ideas here. They could well reach, touch and influence future astrologers reading this thread and bring about
changes of thought for astrology in the 21st century.:smile:

Last edited:

david starling

Okay, a combination of logic, intuition, and empiricism. Start with logic: The Ages are "Earth's" effect in the Chart. It's necessary to designate a Terrestrial point, or points, that move through the Chart to provide information on this Terrestrial effect, since the Earth itself is held stationary in the center of the Zodiac. The Ecliptical plane is Earth's orbital-path, and has several available points that move--so let's try one or more of those. All right so far?

muchacho

There has to necessarily be a shift in how we define ourselves and our purpose, away from doing to being. But that's a fully natural step in maturing to a full human being anyway. So I wouldn't worry about that. As Abraham-Hicks used to say, we are called 'human beings' and not 'human doings' for a reason, hehe. And they would add that we are all worthy beings and have nothing to prove to anyone and that the idea that those who do not work shall not eat is based on lackful (aka screwy) thinking. IOW, only when you are not in touch with your true self you would worry about that kind of stuff. So the solution is to get in touch with your true self. And the rest works itself out all by itself.

There's a lot of screwy and bogus concepts in astrology, especially in terms of worthiness and natural abundance and the role of free will. But in that sense modern astrology has already done a giant step forward and did some house cleaning. If we could combine that with traditional methods and techniques, this could be very promising.

Last edited:

Frisiangal

Okay, a combination of logic, intuition, and empiricism. Start with logic: The Ages are "Earth's" effect in the Chart. It's necessary to designate a Terrestrial point, or points, that move through the Chart to provide information on this Terrestrial effect, since the Earth itself is held stationary in the center of the Zodiac. The Ecliptical plane is Earth's orbital-path, and has several available points that move--so let's try one or more of those. All right so far?

If I understand what you are implying, and it is more probable that I don't, it is that Earth's 'mentality' of/through its people must undergo a shift of what is termed 'collective consciousness'? This c.c. will be found in, and personally applied by each individual undergoing its terrestial effect.

It sounds a very 'empirical' feeling. Whether 21st century astrology will be part of, and embrace its effect into its teaching may be the mission of the Uranus-Neptune-Saturn in Capricorn generation. :smile:

Frisiangal

There has to necessarily be a shift in how we define ourselves and our purpose, away from doing to being. But that's a fully natural step in maturing to a full human being anyway. So I wouldn't worry about that. As Abraham-Hicks used to say, we are called 'human beings' and not 'human doings' for a reason, hehe. And they would add that we are all worthy beings and have nothing to prove to anyone and that the idea that those who do not work shall not eat is based on lackful (aka screwy) thinking. IOW, only when you are not in touch with your true self you would worry about that kind of stuff. So the solution is to get in touch with your true self. And the rest works itself out all by itself.

There's a lot of screwy and bogus concepts in astrology, especially in terms of worthiness and natural abundance and the role of free will. But in that sense modern astrology has already done a giant step forward and did some house cleaning. If we could combine that with traditional methods and techniques, this could be very promising.

Truly beautiful sentiments that reside in the hearts of too few.
Unfortunately, for the majority of us living through the experiences of a physical life, there is still too much 'human being' suffering on this planet, and still too little 'human doing' anything about it.

david starling

If I understand what you are implying, and it is more probable that I don't, it is that Earth's 'mentality' of/through its people must undergo a shift of what is termed 'collective consciousness'? This c.c. will be found in, and personally applied by each individual undergoing its terrestial effect.

It sounds a very 'empirical' feeling. Whether 21st century astrology will be part of, and embrace its effect into its teaching may be the mission of the Uranus-Neptune-Saturn in Capricorn generation. :smile:

You got it right, and stated it better than I could have! I'm calling it "logic", based on the concept that "Planets act"; and the one we actually live on must therefore act upon us as well. I call it "collective awareness", because I believe it affects us on the "subconscious level". How it fits in with each Chart determines how (as you said so well) it will be "personally applied by each individual undergoing its terrestrial effect".
What I meant by "empiricism" was the actual correlations of Ages to historical and cultural developments. The clearest correlations for me are in the Fertile Crescent, from about 3500 B.C. onward, which is when writing ("symbolic language") appears to have begun in an "extant" form. There are some with China and India as well, but I'm most familiar with Western Civilization as Western historians describe it.
According to my calculations (for the Tropical Ages), the effects of the Age-transition we're now experiencing has reached a greater level of awareness for those born from 1975 onward, and for those with earlier Charts who are attuned to it. Those with the outer Planets in Capricorn and/or Aquarius are feeling it the most.

Last edited:

david starling

The foregoing is why the Ages are important in the Chart. I consider the Age-Indicator position as important as Sun, Moon, Ascendant, and Lunar-nodes, because these are ALL Earth-Sun-Moon connections. Black Lilith is theoretically in this group as well, but I confess to not yet having given it the attention it deserves. What makes the Age-Indicator different from the others in this category, is that it must be be located differently when it comes to Tropical and Sidereal Charts. The others simply change Sign-locations from Sidereal to Tropical, but the Age-Indicator as it's located Sidereally, has NO TROPICAL MOVEMENT whatsoever. The locating method for the Age-Indicator in these two types of Zodiacs is equivalent, in that it's qualified as the Terrestrial-Ecliptic-Representative in both cases--just in somewhat different ways. And, since the Sidereal setting for it was MUCH easier to spot, IT became known first. And that's where the Tropical-astrologers who studied the Ages, and considered them important, stopped. Just stopped! :annoyed: And, oddly enough, it's the Tropicalists who abandon their own Zodiac and begin mucking around with the Sidereal, EVEN THOUGH they aren't using it for anything BUT the AGES; and, the Sideralists pay much less attention to the Ages (if any at all), even though it's in their actual Charts. Maybe it's the Tropicalists' way of attempting to maintain a link between Tropical and Sidereal, even though the true Siderealists tend to resent it.

Last edited:

david starling

The celestial mechanics for the Sidereal Ages involve using Earth's axial tilt. The Earth's orbital-plane (the Ecliptic) is intersected by the Equatorial-plane. This line of intersection crosses the Zodiacal circle, which is in the plane of the orbit. And, it rotates through the Zodiac with Retrograde motion. The Sun Transits either end of the line at the beginning of Spring, and at the start of Fall, so "Vernal Equinox" and "Autumnal Equinox"--the "Equinoctial-line", with the Sun marking the "First Point of Spring" in the Northern Hemisphere. That's the go-to Age-indicating point for the Sidereal Zodiac. Retrograde-movement at about 72 years per Zodiacal degree, crossing one Sign in about 2150 years, the length of a Sidereal Age. Here's the kicker: That same First Point of Spring, marked by the Sun's position at the time of the Vernal Equinox, is ALSO the First Point of TROPICAL Aries. So, the Tropical Zodiac rotates around the Sidereal Zodiac along with the First Point of Spring. The original version of the Astrological-ages was a result of tracking the First Point of Tropical Aries through the Zodiacal Constellations, which remain stationary in the Sidereal Zodiac.

muchacho

Truly beautiful sentiments that reside in the hearts of too few.
Unfortunately, for the majority of us living through the experiences of a physical life, there is still too much 'human being' suffering on this planet, and still too little 'human doing' anything about it.

This may sound counter-intuitive based on what society teaches us but since whatever we focus on grows, trying to end suffering is an impossibility, no matter how well meaning we are. It will only increase suffering. We would have to focus on increasing happiness instead. That's the kind of paradigm shift that has to happen.

waybread

The "water" from the jar of the constellation Aquarius is actually the Aquarid meteor shower. http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-eta-aquarid-meteor-shower So the "water" is actually moving points of light.

The glyph for Aquarius is the Egyptian symbol for water. The giant man with the water jar was named in ancient Babylon as "the great one."

The sun is in Aquarius during the winter rainy season of the Mediterranean and parts of the Middle East, where western astrology originated. I think this is the real association of Aquarius with water. Rain falling from the clouds is arguably more of an atmospheric, air phenomenon than a surface water phenomenon.

I hope 21st century astrology becomes more pragmatic and helpful to people. When I first learned astrology in the early 1990s I was much taken with the evolutionary, spiritual approach. Now I feel that the world's ancient religious traditions have more to offer on spirituality than astrologers have. Supposedly the modern outer planets were to usher in new eras of spirituality and brotherly love. I haven't seen it.

Pluto in Aquarius may result in more techologically integrated human-digital-machine interfaces-- or it may just be a period when our Internet, digital, IT era comes crashing down around our ears.

david starling

Astrology is unique, because it's able to evolve, as we move into the future, but still draw on the insights of the past. In a sense, we're maintaining a connection to the Ancient civilizations that created Astrology, while living our modern lives.

david starling

I just reread this, and find myself strongly disagreeing with the idea that Aquarian mind waves are non-emotionally focused. Aquarian mind waves [IMO] are channeling emotion through thought currents, which is why Aquarius is anciently known as the Water Bearer (with Water, of course being associated with emotion in Astrology), as well as envisioned as pouring out water. That's why Pisces and Aquarius are so compatible. I also see Aquarius and Taurus as "companion-Signs", the image of the Earth "wrapped in the Heavens".