Why Don't People Believe In Astrology

piscesmoon262

(Nice title, eh, sounds like I'm talking about santy claws =.=)

I know we really shouldn't be worrying about people that don't believe in astrology but I can't help but wonder why they don't. Has it not affected them as it has us?

Something I've sort of stuck to is that people that don't believe in astrology have only been exposed to heliocentric newspaper horoscopes and they don't identify with their Sun sign. These people, in my experience, have their Mercury falling into the sign before or after their Sun sign.

I asked a woman working at my local video store a few months ago what her birthday was and she got pretty aggressive in telling me what horse dung Astrology was. I made no effort to prove her wrong just kinda paid and left :pouty:

(She was an Aries by the way)

What do you think it is? Why don't people believe in Astrology these days? Not only disbelieve it but go out of their way to discourage others in believing it.

Zarathu

Account Closed
In more than 40 years of studying in this life, there are so many reasons why someone doesn't believe in something particularly astrology.... from science skeptics to religious people to only knowing it through the newspaper columns to knowing so little about the subject to being afraid that someone would know secrets, etc. It goes on and on.

Some people I know react positively some don't. Yesterday I was in the library working on my astrology book(The Seven Quotients of Astrology Workbook©, and a friend asked me what I was doing. She got "the look" and said, "Oh.... thats nice" and changed the subject quickly.

I just move on.

piscesmoon262

Good attitude you have- it's hard for me not to be a little down, though, when someone rejects something I identify so highly with. I try to move on as well but I find that I do dwell on it sometimes

byjove

Account Closed
Yep, I agree with Zarathu, there isn't one reason why people don't. The same can be said for atheists. Taking a look at the world would help - notice how different beliefs are treated very differently in different cultures. To the best of my knowledge, science is very highly regarded in France while religion dominates in Iran. I don't see one or the other as 'good' or 'bad' - just note that different beliefs are treated very differently in different countries.

You might take faith in knowing that about 2 years ago, the Bombay High Court in India upheld a previous Indian Supreme Court ruling that astrology is a valid tool in the courtroom. In 2004 the Supreme Court of Justice asked the universities to find how to add astrology to the syllabus. http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...te-for-maharashtra-government-dattaram-kumkar

On a different level, I respect the opinion of the knowledgeable - you can only truly accept or reject something with a basic - but good understanding of something. It's rejecting things that you don't understand that is the first indicator of a poor intellectual faculty. I'd ask the critic, what do they know?

I also take the approach mentioned by Zarathu - ignore and move on. Whether it's astrology, religion or some other belief system, you will find critics your whole life. Stopping to argue the point or defend or convince someone every time would be quite draining. I'd take comfort in knowing that your beliefs are valid too and don't need defending. Perhaps the opposite needs to happen - they need to convince others through reasoned argument why they're right, not why you're wrong.

That's a few reasons there why I wouldn't mind what others say on astrology before even getting into the mechanics of it. Logic, reason and experience.

Last edited:

piscesmoon262

That article is fantastic.

Yes I see what you mean. It's the equation not the variables.

Over the past few years I've learned to move on a little better but as stated above- I find it difficult. My emotions are a little tender :crying: but also very fleeting.

JUPITERASC

(Nice title, eh, sounds like I'm talking about santy claws =.=)

I know we really shouldn't be worrying about people that don't believe in astrology but I can't help but wonder why they don't. Has it not affected them as it has us?

Something I've sort of stuck to is that people that don't believe in astrology have only been exposed to heliocentric newspaper horoscopes and they don't identify with their Sun sign. These people, in my experience, have their Mercury falling into the sign before or after their Sun sign.

I asked a woman working at my local video store a few months ago what her birthday was and she got pretty aggressive in telling me what horse dung Astrology was. I made no effort to prove her wrong just kinda paid and left :pouty:

(She was an Aries by the way)

What do you think it is? Why don't people believe in Astrology these days? Not only disbelieve it but go out of their way to discourage others in believing it.
In fact, there are no laws to prevent anyone from setting up as an 'astrologer' even though that person has NEITHER purchased software with which to generate 'reports' to sell on to clients NOR completed any course of study!! So anyone can be a self-styled astrologer, irrespective of level of skill/time spent studying astrology.

Perhaps that is why astrology is considered unreliable by so many members of the public :smile:

HOWEVER - there ARE many excellent practicing astrologers who HAVE completed recognized astrological courses of study & obtained a 'Certificate' or 'Diploma' or official validation of some kind

such as offered by Kepler College Online or by Robert Schmidt at Project Hindsight
http://www.projecthindsight.com/ or by any well known and well respected astrologer such as Robert Zoller http://www.new-library.com/catalogue.../rz000111.html

Although WHO, IF ANYONE - is a credible authority sufficiently knowledgeable to define official parameters of 'sufficient basic astrological qualification' that any individual would be expected to achieve BEFORE posting on a forum and/or beginning any astrological practice that has paying clients?
Anyway, I think a part of why astrology is not taken as seriously as other practices that relate to overall wellness is because it is so heavily/ frequently indulged in my amateurs who might know some basic things, but don't really know enough to make accurate assessments. *cough*myselfincluded*cough*

ashriia

I think it's a matter of social conditioning. Specifically in the west, or where western culture is dominant. People are told from an early age, that its all a bunch of fluff. the **** in newspapers no one ever identifies with, and the inaccuracy of astrology is what is mostly known. Sun signs too, that alot of people don't, again, identify with. Then media, specifically tv..with the housewife reading the newspaper columns telling her husband that such and such is going to happen on that day because her daily horoscope said such and such, he dismisses it..and it's often left there...for the audience to let sink in...-that she was just being silly and ridiculous. fast forward...by the time these children and tv viewers become adults & all this conditioning is in place, they are going to be alot more intolerant of hearing about, knowing about, or learning about anything having to do with astrology.

byjove

Account Closed
For a long time I hoped and considered how astrology could return to a position of greater, deeper public understanding and support. India might be a good example of that today, where as I understand it, astrology didn't lose favour or suffer religious persecution like in Europe.

Now, I don't mind so much if this doesn't happen. I'm not sure that it is something that can be understood deeply, respected by the general population. Is ancient literature or acheology respected and appreciated by the general population? For diverse reasons, some things just aren't. The more I think about astrology, I don't expect it to fall into the public domain. When complicated ideas fall into the public place, we often find this 'pop' culture emerge. It's a truncated version in which only the most simple elements are retained. It's just the same with popular music, film or art I think. The simple, popular version of these ideas reflects society's digestion of the original matter. Anyone with curiosity learns to traverse popular culture in search of the origins or deeper thinking.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Belief is sometimes - but not always - based on Reason.

Belief is only necessary when no reason to account for phenomena is apparent - to the believer, at any rate.

Experienced astrologers who are able to prove that their chosen method works from a rational perspective, do not require 'belief' in astrology

Perhaps some people are simply unaware of how to read natal charts
:smile:

Virinchi

Its the funniest part of creation that few are created in a way that they don't believe that a 'creator' actually created them