North Node question

trickster

There's a lot of information online and in books for those whose North Node represents unfamiliar traits to be developed, along the lines of "It will seem weird to you, but for your own good, try to behave all North Node-ly anyway." That's great advice if your North Node is in uncharted (lol) territory.
But what if the Dragon's Head is in the same sign as one or more of your personal planets? Mine is in Cancer, along with my Sun, Mercury, and Venus. Why would a soul choose a purpose or lesson that's so in-line with the incarnate personality?

All responses are appreciated, of course, but I'd especially like to hear from people whose Sun, Moon, or Asc is/are in the same sign as their North Node. How does this placement manifest in your life? :northnode:

waybread

I don't have this in my chart, but it's not uncommon. Especially if the NN conjuncts a planet, it and that planet are basically along for the same ride. Ditto to a lesser extent if the NN and your other Cancer planets do not share a conjunction or common midpoints.

Basically you are majoring in Cancer in the University of the Universe, so there is something about the qualities of being cardinal and in a water sign that show where you need to develop as a person. The house/s will say more about the area of life in which you need to develop.

Sometimes the NN is a real outlier, unlike anything else in the chart. Then the person would probably find it more difficult to develop this out-of-character side of herself. In some ways, having that consistency in your chart should be an advantage.

twistandshout

I've actually been having a lot of good discussions with a friend about the north node and how it interacts with planets, either in the same house/conjunct or in relationship to the south node.

A lot of the conclusion that we came to was that sometimes a north node with planets on both house ends can be tricky as it can trigger a "sea-saw" like effect where you need to learn the balance between old familiar soul habits that you need to unlearn, habits you need to keep, and habits you need to learn to develop. A lot of this is because inner/social planets depending on which end they're on are either entirely new things for you to learn to explore or incredibly familiar. If you have social planets with your north node, if we think in terms of karma, these are actually new to the 'soul' and are skills that need to be developed and embraced, even if root habits (social planets placed with the south node) may be contradictory.

If your South node has no accompanying planets then it may be that you just need to really, as stated above, graduate from Cancer University and really learn to embrace these parts of who you are in this life.

For me, I had to scratch my head a bit because I have a lot of planets with my south node (also in my 12th house no less) and none with my north. It took me a while to understand that learning to master and embrace the lessons that the 6th house has to offer actually helps fuel the skills offered by my 12H to flow more smoothly and with ease into my day to day (6H) and with more balance. Basically it was very easy for me to give openly and willingly until I was almost drained dry, and it was incredibly unintuitive for me to learn to take my own needs as a priority.

It was easy for me to fall onto the habits in the 12H SN because they're innate and familiar, I did them without thinking because they were purely intuitive. Having that empty 6H helped basically "declutter" my personal adjustments since there was nothing new being offered in this life to distract me from pausing and taking a step back more objectively in how I used the 12H/SN skills daily.

Long post short, I find the North and South nodes really fascinating! I think they have a lot to offer but it all boils down to take a look at how things function within those houses and your attitudes towards the priorities they set.

ice

I think you lucked out to have other planets in the same sign as your north node. I have none, and my Sun is near south node. It is so difficult for me to even figure out how to relate, whereas in your case:
- if you follow the call of what's beautiful, you'll probably react in a way that NN would react
- if you try to express yourself, you'll probably do it in the way NN would express itself
- even your self-identification is consistent with NN placement.

The upshot is that you're one of the lucky people for whom following the NN call won't even seem weird.

sibylline

There's a lot of information online and in books for those whose North Node represents unfamiliar traits to be developed, along the lines of "It will seem weird to you, but for your own good, try to behave all North Node-ly anyway." That's great advice if your North Node is in uncharted (lol) territory.
But what if the Dragon's Head is in the same sign as one or more of your personal planets? Mine is in Cancer, along with my Sun, Mercury, and Venus. Why would a soul choose a purpose or lesson that's so in-line with the incarnate personality?

Why wouldn't it?

I have a personal planets hugging my North Node. In a nutshell, sometimes it seems that the South Node may be the end that needs some development. :happy:

JUPITERASC

All responses are appreciated, of course,
but I'd especially like to hear from people
whose Sun, Moon, or Asc is/are in the same sign as their North Node.
How does this placement manifest in your life?
:northnode:
Those with Sun, Moon or Ascendant in same sign as North Node
all have different experiences of the placement

because
Sun, Moon, Ascendant and North Node may be in any one of TWELVE SIGNS :smile:

and so
generalisation
although tempting
is unreliable

for example
Sun, Moon, Ascendant, North Node ARIES are in domicile of MARS
Sun, Moon, Ascendant, North Node TAURUS are in domicile of VENUS
Sun, Moon, Ascendant, North Node GEMINI are in domicile of MERCURY
and so on
therefore
each is delineated differently dependent not only on aspects to and from sign ruler
but also on house location of sign ruler

CELESTE TEAL NODES INFO FREE ONLINE at
http://www.moonvalleyastrologer.com/the-moons-nodes/

obsidianmineral

People somehow forgot to mention that the North Node is a good point in the chart. According to Lilly, it is of the nature of Jupiter and Venus, so it should be treated as a benefic point. However, if it is conjoint Mars or Saturn it becomes a malefic point. Similarly, if the SN is in a conjunction with Venus or Jupiter it becomes of a good nature.

dr. farr

The Dragon's Head can be interpreted as Venus+Jupiter (a Venus & Jupiter conjunction) relative to its "planetary-like" influence, in a given house/sign, or in conjunction (or parallel) with a given planet (or with a horoscopic point)
I personally refer to the NN as "the lucky strike"...

obsidianmineral

The Dragon's Head can be interpreted as Venus+Jupiter (a Venus & Jupiter conjunction) relative to its "planetary-like" influence, in a given house/sign, or in conjunction (or parallel) with a given planet (or with a horoscopic point)
I personally refer to the NN as "the lucky strike"...

Hmm, that makes me think. Does the North Node do well in Pisces? Since that would be the sign of rulership for :jupiter: and the sign of :venus:'s exaltation.

dr. farr

Hmm, that makes me think. Does the North Node do well in Pisces? Since that would be the sign of rulership for :jupiter: and the sign of :venus:'s exaltation.

Could be: both Western and Vedic astrology have assigned rulerships to the Nodes; however, a large minority (including myself) do not believe that the Nodes have rulership (or exaltation or fall) in the signs, since the Nodes are not in fact planets (or even planetoids or asteroids) but rather are "immaterial" energetic points in space (albeit very powerful energy points)...

obsidianmineral

Could be: both Western and Vedic astrology have assigned rulerships to the Nodes; however, a large minority (including myself) do not believe that the Nodes have rulership (or exaltation or fall) in the signs, since the Nodes are not in fact planets (or even planetoids or asteroids) but rather are "immaterial" energetic points in space (albeit very powerful energy points)...

It makes sense, since planets have essential dignities because they want to act and want to express their nature (and this can only be done effectively through certain signs or certain positions in the zodiac mainly), while the North and South node can be considered only as points where energy concentrates; kinda like with the part of fortune, but in this case, the nodes are unlikely to be affected that much by the sign they're in. Is that what you're saying?

The thing with the north node is that it can be very benefic. It's supposedly in a natal chart because your soul needs to grow in that area, therefore, the universe/karma/the Moon will reward you. Anything the NN touches has the possibility of being expanded. Seems like a North Node in houses like the 10th, 11th or 1st could do much good as it promises progress and growth (that Jupiter gives) and easiness and talent (that Venus gives).

Too bad about the South Node being the energetic equivalent of Saturn+Mars though. Restrictions and violence could spawn from the places that the SN indicates, right?

dr. farr

Right: we find the Dragon's Tail ascending in the 1st house in such mundane maps as the start of the 1st world war, the start of world war 2, and a number of other inception charts of violent and unfortunate events...

NRodin

I actually really love this question as I myself have been wondering it a lot the past few months. I got into the nodes late into my studying of Astrology, though I found it's relevance quite astounding as I attract a lot of people with similar nodes as I: my old friend I lived with a while back had his nodes in the same houses as myself and we both shared a lot of similar traits.

To extend upon your question, I first would like to mention that I have my moon in the sign that is correlated to my north node's house (the 8th house) so I know how it feels to have your north node energy in a deeply personal planet/house. As counter-intuitive as this placement may seem, the NN being in a personal planet such as Sun or Moon is akin to Draconic Astrology's intention when the NN automatically goes into Aries: this way of Astrology depicts how we go about perceiving your past life and pursuit of self in the current life. If you have your NN conjunct Sun, it simply means you have a strong desire to conquer and learn about yourself. You're usually competitive and a tad insecure, and coming from someone who's NN is (in a way) conjunct Moon, I felt quite emotionally insecure my whole life, mainly because of how much potential and curiosity is instilled wherever the NN falls. It's difficult to feel secure when you want to grow and learn heavily within that particular area, because confidence naturally incurs a sense of knowing and self-assurance.

Wherever the North Node is, there is a necessary need of learning and exploring curiosity. If your Sun is with the North Node, then entertain ideas about what identity means and how we can express our real self in a way that is ideal and beneficial. If the NN is holding hands with the moon, work hard to look deep within to find answers about external problems. These types of natives are much less prone to the casual dim wittedness of others with grand trines, exaltations, or even the South Node conjunction relative to to Sun, Moon, or any other personal planet prominently affecting the chart.

trickster

Wow, you guys have been busy with this question while I've been offline dealing with far less interesting things than astrology! :)

I agree with the idea that was brought up that rulerships don't seem to apply to the nodes; they seem more neutral, like guideposts: Go this way, not that way (mostly because you've already been that way). I think I've been looking at this part of my chart as a matter of redundancy or overkill - there's so much in my chart that emphasizes Cancer already, so why not put the North Node to work somewhere else? Now I'm realizing that it's not overkill; the Universe just really, really wants me to focus on Cancerian traits and concerns in this lifetime. lol

Wherever the North Node is, there is a necessary need of learning and exploring curiosity. If your Sun is with the North Node, then entertain ideas about what identity means and how we can express our real self in a way that is ideal and beneficial.

Yes, exactly; I feel that discovering who I am IS who I am, in a way. :biggrin: You made an interesting point regarding people with similar Nodal placement sharing similar traits. The reverse is also true. An older relative of mine has her Sun in Capricorn, where my South Node is, and felt justified and rather sanctimonious about making my childhood miserable. She continued well into my adulthood, until I finally told her if she didn't stop, I'd cut all ties with her; to my relief, I haven't spoken to her in years. I might put that down to Capricorn being in opposition to Cancer, if not for the fact that I can get along with other Capricorns I've met. I think my South Node directive to move away from those traits was a strong influence on that unfortunate situation. At this point in my life, I'm just starting to integrate and balance my Nodal axis, so I'm waiting to see how things will turn out.

Ice made a good point too; I am lucky that my North Node is in familiar territory for me. With my Sun, Mercury, and Venus in Cancer, if my North Node were in Capricorn, I'm sure I'd spend a lot of time banging my head against the wall. lol

sadge

You should get the book Lunar Nodes by Celeste Teal. She gives a good breakdown of it all. She's got a website too....I think it's called Moon Valley Astrologer.

:)