Lord of the hour and Lord of the asc

rogue_red

I have been doing some furthur reading into Horary technique and I have a couple of questions.
Im a little confused about the "lord of the hour" and "the lord of the asc".
Lilly recommends that a chart is fit to be judged if the lord of the hour and the lord of the asc are receptive. That is, they are in the same triplicity of nature.
Im not sure what the lord of the hour is. Am I right in assuming the the lord of the asc is the ruling planet of whatever sign is on the asc? So if Aries is on the asc then Mars is the lord of the asc? Is the lord of the hour the ruler of the sign that mars is in in the horary chart? For example, Mars in cancer would have the moon as the lord of the hour? Would this make the lord of the hour and the lord of the asc receptive as Mars rules the water triplicity in horary?

Also, regarding diurnal and nocturnal rulers. If the sun is in the southern hemisphere (as in below the horizon) in a chart then is the chart considered a nocturnal chart. If that is the case do we use nocturnal rulers for the whole chart or just those below the horizon.

Any assistence and enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

archergirl

http://skyscript.co.uk/hour_agreement.pdf

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/hourrule.html

A few bones to chew...:D

AG:)

PS. The reason a chart is nocturnal or diurnal depends entirely on the Sun's position. If the sun is below the horizon in a horary chart, that means the sun has set, and therefore it's a nocturnal chart. You use the nocturnal rulers in a nocturnal chart, and that goes for all the planets. If Mars is still above the horizon, but the Sun has set, it's a nocturnal chart, so you would use the nocturnal triplicity of Mars, which will be water no matter what.

Last edited:

LionKing

AG... interesting, I will add it to my bag of tricks and see how it works.
I have read in the past, where the day ruler, rules 8AM, 15PM, and 22PM. And those hours after the appointed day would fall into the week pattern. I like to see something new and testing it out. V/r LionKing:D

archergirl

Whichever way it is used, hour rulership and day rulership are only useful to a degree. It is good for beginners to 'practice' with it, but in all honesty charts are still valid even if the day/hour Lords don't match. It was just another method used by Lilly and the others to verify that their 'art' was more 'scientific', and wasn't just hocus-pocus, which was of course quite important in those days. In certain charts it is better to have the Lords all compatible, especially in charts about kidnappings, imprisonment, etc...because the more validity in the chart the more accurate the answer is likely to be.

For your general, garden-variety 'does he love me' questions, I wouldn't bother.

rogue_red

Awesome Archgirl, thankyou very much! Made everything so much clearer.

I have heard you talk of significators before and was wondering if you could assist.
If I am enquiring about my daughter do I look to the fifth house cusp or 7th? If I am enquiring about the health of my daughter do I refer to the charts 6th house or her sixth house (as in counting 6 houses from the house her significator is in?
Can you recommend a good link for in detail significators. I can determine querant and some basic quesited significators but im struggling with things like where to find my best friends father when enquiring about him etc.

Thankyou very much for your assistance.:)

rogue_red

archergirl said:
http://skyscript.co.uk/hour_agreement.pdf

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/hourrule.html

A few bones to chew...:D

PS. The reason a chart is nocturnal or diurnal depends entirely on the Sun's position. If the sun is below the horizon in a horary chart, that means the sun has set, and therefore it's a nocturnal chart. You use the nocturnal rulers in a nocturnal chart, and that goes for all the planets. If Mars is still above the horizon, but the Sun has set, it's a nocturnal chart, so you would use the nocturnal triplicity of Mars, which will be water no matter what.

Oh I forgot to ask. You told me once that Mars is the ruler of the water triplicity in horary, can you tell me why this is so. By nature Mars is hot and dry so the im missing the connection although I did read something about the egyptians werent impressed with mars scorching them so they put him in the water triplicity to cool his heels.!!??

With mars being the ruler of the water triplicity how does that translate to mars' influence in a chart. I have read a few horary chart interpretation where something was lost and mars was close to jupiter so they said go look in the oven or something like that. Does mars maintain his "marsyness" or is his influence different in horary.

Thanks again:D

archergirl

The assignment of Mars to the water triplicity is somewhat complicated, but it does have something to do with 'cooling his heels', as you've said. Mars retains his fiery nature in a chart (and thus represents burning, cutting, violence, etc)...but Scorpio is ruled by Mars, and is of course a water sign so there is some connection there.

If you visit the Skyscript site there are vast numbers of articles on this sort of stuff to explore. It's a great resource.