What is my ascendant?

lib

I don't know my time of birth. My mom thinks it could have been at 2-3 am but I don't feel like a virgo ascendant like this would indicate. My chart without birth time is like this:

Sun Libra
Moon Leo
Mercury Scorpio
Venus Sagittarius
Mars Cancer
Jupiter Libra
Saturn Aquarius
Uranus Capricorn
Neptune Capricorn
Pluto Scorpio
Lilith Pisces
Asc node Sagittarius

Also my birthdate is October 20, 1992. If picks can help visit my facebook http://www.facebook.com/gellyian . Thanks in advance.

lib

Also here is my pic.

Attachments

• 71787_168746989804475_100000075256306_572181_805035_n.jpg
    71787_168746989804475_100000075256306_572181_805035_n.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 31

jill

I'm feeling alot of Pisces or Cancer when I look at your picture. You have that 'round lunar moon' face shape. Do you have strong 'mothering' or nuturing qualities? How do you handle 1st meetings, like job interviews or meeting people for the first time? Are you more reserved and a little shy until you warm up to others?

The way you behave in public or when meeting others for the first time is usually different than how we act around people we already know well - like family members and best friends.

I did notice you had Mercury in Scorpio and Mars in Cancer. I don't know what the degrees of these are but they may form a trine and possibly a grand trine to a Pisces Asc. Mercury trine Mars means that talking comes very easy for you. You like to talk.

If I may suggest, go to astro.com and input a chart with a noon time. 'Right click' on the chart, save it in your documents file and upload it to this posting as an attachment, so we can see the degrees of your planets.

good luck on your journey, jill

Kannon

Cardinal sign on Asc is most likely based on the shape of your face. See which one in my descriptions (linked above in ArianMaverick's post) most matches.

Here are the possibles:
21 cancer is the only possible in that sign. This is the most likely one based on your mother's report of your birth time.
IF your mother was way early about your birth time, then 12-13 libra, 3-4 cap and 18-19 aries are possible.

A mutable sign is somewhat likely because of the higher than avg forehead, but there are no possible mutable Ascendants for you in Virgo at all and none in Gemini or Pisces either. Only Sag would be a long shot IF your mother was way off about your birth time.

Looks like Cancer 21* is most likely. Read the description for Cancer rising to see if it fits. Mark on your calendar on September 4 that Mars is moving across that degree of Cancer. See what happens that day. If you feel especially assertive, angry, irritable, etc, then this is pretty good verification. If you also move into a period of a couple months of being more active and busy, then this is further confirmation of that Asc degree.

lib

Yes, I do feel that describes me better. When I would put 2:30 as my birth time it would say Virgo and I don't really think I fit into the Virgo description especially since my mom could be off. I'm thinking Pisces because of one website actually said pisces as my ascendant, it's just most of them say virgo. I noticed that Second decan Cancer and third decan Pisces are both ruled by pluto which I could see that it would cause confusion as to which one it is. I'm leaning towards pisces but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• astro_w2at_01_maria_hernandez_hp.67680.13467.gif
    astro_w2at_01_maria_hernandez_hp.67680.13467.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 24

waybread

Lib, it is important to get beyond facial features, as these are largely genetic. You appear to have a round face, but if this is a family trait then it isn't going to help identify your rising sign.

The rising sign is going to change every 2 hours. You might think about Leo, which would put your moon closer to your ascendant; or Libra, which would put Jupiter in your first house. Jupiter also is an expansion principle.

The rising sign shows your outward personality traits. Sadly, one of the best ways to get at these are the way people close to you criticize you when they are upset with you. Do you ever hear from them:

"You're such a perfectionist!" Nothing I do is ever good enough for you." Try Virgo

"You're so bossy. Everything has to be your way. You always have to be the centre of attention." (Leo)

"Excuse me, but would you please make up your mind? You're so indecisive." (Libra)

There are also methods of chart rectification. It goes by the timing of transiting and progressed planets into new houses. You might compile a list of some major events in your life and see which houses correspond to their moving into a new house. This is especially interesting with Uranus, which rules sudden change.

Any chance of getting your actual birth certificate? If not, Mom's memory within an hour or so is your best bet, vs. trying something else on the basis of facial features.

In the mean time, you might enjoy this site: www.astrofaces.com . It is a huge photoalbum of people's faces, organized by sun, moon, and rising signs.

lib

The only way to be 100% sure is time rectification which is really expensive. Right now, I don't have enough events for my birth chart to be corrected, because I don't remember the dates of when things happened. So, I might have to start writing down the dates for when important things happen in my life. But for the time being, I want like an idea of what it could be.

Vista

The only way to be 100% sure is time rectification which is really expensive. Right now, I don't have enough events for my birth chart to be corrected, because I don't remember the dates of when things happened. So, I might have to start writing down the dates for when important things happen in my life. But for the time being, I want like an idea of what it could be.

Rectification doesn't have to be expensive? I am sure people on here might be willing to help if you write down important dates including your upcoming high-school graduation. I am inclined to say Libra myself, although i will ask this: do you carry more weight in your lower half of your body as in it goes there first? Libra ASC have a tendency to be pear shaped or carry their weight in the bottom half of their bodies. Leo ASC on the other hand usually carry their weight in their upper half and have thinner legs. It's hard to tell with your FB picture because you are in a gown. Of course these ASC features can be modified if there are planets conjunct the ASC or even in the first house. Jupiter on the ASC will usually mean a bit of a weight problem or gains weight easily especially later in adulthood. Moon on the ASC suggest a round face(Jupiter can do this too) but not like Moon it seems. I wouldn't say your face is that round in my opinion, full but with a more pointed chin than what I would expect from a Moon conjunct ASC person.

Raquel

I have the same problem... but I do not know if there's anyone that could make this rectification for free... if you know, just tell me, because I really want to know... my birth certificate says that i was born at 2.30 but my grandmother says that my mother told her that I was born at midnight. So I'm between Cancer and Leo... :S

waybread

Rectification has its pros and cons. You can do it yourself, but you'd probably at least want to buy a book on it, if you don't want to pay for a professional astrologer.

I've got one: Laurie Efrein, How to Rectify a Birth Chart (The Aquarian Press, 1987.) If it is not still in print, you could probably locate a copy through an Internet used book seller. (She feels the Placidus house system gives the most accurate results, BTW; but your experience my differ.)

I think you would first want to learn the basics of astrology if you don't have them down already, because you'd have to have a good grasp of planets in signs, houses, aspects, and rulerships of different phenomena. You would also want to know the different predictive methods: transits, progressions, solar arcs. (Some would say primary directions, as well, but I've not used this method.)

The very best thing is just to get a copy of your birth certificate from the recorder's office in your birth place: however, not all locales include the birth times. Usually there is a short form and a long form--ask for the latter. Or a hospital record.

Important events that happen around the same time for everyone, like high school graduation, are probably not ideal. More like, some kind of accident or illness, a major move, the start or ending of a significant relationship. Lib, it looks like you were born in Cuba. If you are not living there now, for example, your mother could probably give you the date of your move.

An Australian astrologer, Alice Portman ( www.aliceportman.com ) works with transits of Uranus. Uranus represents sudden change, so consider dates when something changed quickly in your life, in ways consistent with the meaning of the next house. Ideally, the date of the change gives you the house cusp. For example, your Uranus is in the 5th house, but you may have noted a change in issues relating to work, service, and health when it transited into your 6th house. An important new relationship beginning, an old one ending, or sudden changes in issues relating to enemies would be consistent with Uranus moving into the 7th house.

This is about the simplest method. Basically once you've nailed down some dates, look up Uranus in an ephemeris to see what degree and sign it was in.

Then you can do this with other planets and hypothetical angles, consistent with their meanings as they move into different houses by transit (slower moving planets) or progression (faster moving planets.) Some people find solar arcs to be very accurate (equate the movement of each planet or angle a day equivalent to a year of real life. For example, if you're 18, rotate each planet 18 degrees ahead to see where you're at now.) Thankfully the free charts at Astrodienst will do this all for you.

I don't know that this will ever be totally accurate, however. I didn't know my birth time when I first studied astrology. My mother had passed away, there was no baby book saved, &c. My birth certificate from the county recorder's office didn't include the time. A professional astrologer guessed my rising sign as Leo, on the basis of my appearance. My rectification efforts produced early Libra. When I finally found a copy of a different birth certificate from the suburb where my parents lived among her papers, I found a birth time. My ascendant turned out to be in late Virgo. I wasn't off by a lot of degrees, but it was enough to produce a sign change.

Can I see Virgo in myself now? Sure. But here's the kicker. My ascendant degree is closely squared by Uranus. So no way was I going to fit the neat and tidy stereotype. You have to allow for first house planets or close aspects to the ascendant giving off their own signals.

Lib, right now your ascendant choices appear to be Leo or Virgo. I would suggest you start working with them, in the first instance.

Last edited:

Raquel

Rectification has its pros and cons. You can do it yourself, but you'd probably at least want to buy a book on it, if you don't want to pay for a professional astrologer.

I've got one: Laurie Efrein, How to Rectify a Birth Chart (The Aquarian Press, 1987.) If it is not still in print, you could probably locate a copy through an Internet used book seller. (She feels the Placidus house system gives the most accurate results, BTW; but your experience my differ.)

I think you would first want to learn the basics of astrology if you don't have them down already, because you'd have to have a good grasp of planets in signs, houses, aspects, and rulerships of different phenomena. You would also want to know the different predictive methods: transits, progressions, solar arcs. (Some would say primary directions, as well, but I've not used this method.)

The very best thing is just to get a copy of your birth certificate from the recorder's office in your birth place: however, not all locales include the birth times. Usually there is a short form and a long form--ask for the latter. Or a hospital record.

Important events that happen around the same time for everyone, like high school graduation, are probably not ideal. More like, some kind of accident or illness, a major move, the start or ending of a significant relationship. Lib, it looks like you were born in Cuba. If you are not living there now, for example, your mother could probably give you the date of your move.

An Australian astrologer, Alice Portman ( www.aliceportman.com ) works with transits of Uranus. Uranus represents sudden change, so consider dates when something changed quickly in your life, in ways consistent with the meaning of the next house. Ideally, the date of the change gives you the house cusp. For example, your Uranus is in the 5th house, but you may have noted a change in issues relating to work, service, and health when it transited into your 6th house. An important new relationship beginning, an old one ending, or sudden changes in issues relating to enemies would be consistent with Uranus moving into the 7th house.

This is about the simplest method. Basically once you've nailed down some dates, look up Uranus in an ephemeris to see what degree and sign it was in.

Then you can do this with other planets and hypothetical angles, consistent with their meanings as they move into different houses by transit (slower moving planets) or progression (faster moving planets.) Some people find solar arcs to be very accurate (equate the movement of each planet or angle a day equivalent to a year of real life. For example, if you're 18, rotate each planet 18 degrees ahead to see where you're at now.) Thankfully the free charts at Astrodienst will do this all for you.

I don't know that this will ever be totally accurate, however. I didn't know my birth time when I first studied astrology. My mother had passed away, there was no baby book saved, &c. My birth certificate from the county recorder's office didn't include the time. A professional astrologer guessed my rising sign as Leo, on the basis of my appearance. My rectification efforts produced early Libra. When I finally found a copy of a different birth certificate from the suburb where my parents lived among her papers, I found a birth time. My ascendant turned out to be in late Virgo. I wasn't off by a lot of degrees, but it was enough to produce a sign change.

Can I see Virgo in myself now? Sure. But here's the kicker. My ascendant degree is closely squared by Uranus. So no way was I going to fit the neat and tidy stereotype. You have to allow for first house planets or close aspects to the ascendant giving off their own signals.

Lib, right now your ascendant choices appear to be Leo or Virgo. I would suggest you start working with them, in the first instance.

In astro.com there's a way to see the transits aspecting the natal chart in a specific date... I tried with my date of birth for midnight, and the date of my mother's passing.... and .... :S Uranus was in the 8th house and the Moon was in 12th... I also tried for 2.30 (birth certificate) and it wasn't the same. Do you think it's revealing? or it's not enough to say...? Thank you

waybread

Raquel, I am sorry that you lost your mother at such a young age.

If you have a time on your birth certificate, for sure go with it. It may be off by a few minutes, but guesswork can be off by a whole lot more.

Death prediction is a very tricky business. Traditional astrologers got into it at length, but modern astrologers generally steer clear for ethical reasons. Of course, the findings would be different for one's own death, vs. the death of an individual close to us. In your chart, the 8th and 12th would generally refer to your life, not a parent's. But of course, we engage with deaths of other people (notably people in "life and death" occupations) from time to time; so the 8th house may have meaning in this context.

One of the things I've read that makes sense to me is that death of a family member, for the survivors, is a time of major adjustment. "Adjustment" astrologically is generally indicated by the quincunx aspect of 150 degrees: you have to use a very narrow orb for it. As you look at transits to natal planets, do you see any major quincunx formations?

Your mother in your own chart is indicated by your moon, and by your MC/IC axis. Generally your mother is one or the other, but since it varies with the individual, it's perhaps best to look at both points. Your home in the sense of early childhood conditioning is a 4th house matter.

Do you want to post your natal chart with the transits for the time of your mother's death? If you don't know the exact time (on a death certificate) it might affect the position of the moon, but probably not the other planets.

Something else you might try, though I've not thought about this for timing the death of a loved one, is a so-called "derived" or "turned" house system. For example, if you determine that your mother is best represented by your MC (10th house cusp), her death would be the 8th house from your 10th house, or your 5th house. If you determine that your IC (4th house cusp) best represents your mother, the 8th house from your 4th would be your 11th house. (You start with the house most central to your question as #1.)

lib

Ok, well here are some events, graudation is June 10, 2011 at 10:00 am.
Some traveling I did to Mexico 8/14/2006 (is the date on the photographs), to New york, 5/27/2010. Also I came to the U.S. from a third world country in 2000 so that was a big move and change in my life. I have one male sibling older than I am. And like I said, I don't really have more events that I know the date to because I didn't know I would need it for this until recently. But any advancement that could be made with this info would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

waybread

Raquel, I am at the tri-focal stage of life, and am finding those charts very hard to read. Do you want to do the ones at Astrodienst's free charts section? www.astro.com . Your charts say their from Astrodienst but it doesn't seem to be their usual format. Then the transits would be for the day of your mother's death; and the time, if you have it.

With the Astrodienst system, usually these appear outside of the chart wheel. It's good not to clutter up the chart with too many aspect lines, but we should see the major ones (only).

It is really important that the degrees of both the natal and transiting planets be legible.

Raquel

picture.php

here it is... This is the chart with the transits for the day my mom passed... aspecting my natal to midnight birth time.

Raquel

picture.php

And here, is the chart for that day also but with my natal with birth time for 2.30 AM.

Thank you for all, I hope you can help me to find out, which of these charts points to these sad event.

waybread

Hi Raquel--I decided that the easiest thing was just for me to play around with your chart somewhat, assuming that your birth time could range from sometime around mdnight to sometime after 2:30 a.m.

I am only an amateur, with very little experience in chart rectification, but see whether a 1:20 a.m. birth time works for you. I've attached this chart as a thumbnail.

What I've done is to look at the position of transiting Uranus for May 24, 2004, and in the early hours of the morning, it was in your upper left-hand quadrant, which includes the 8th "house of death." 1:20 am would put Uranus on the cusp of your 8th house: in the Placidus system, at 6 degrees of Pisces. You could play around with this a bit more, to try for a more precise time, but rectification doesn't guarantee change at the precise minute.

This time also puts the moon (symbolizing your mother) in the 8th house.

Was she very ill for a while before she passed on, or was her death sudden and unexpected?

Then one reading of Pluto in your 4th house of early childhood conditioning might be death as a factor in your childhood.

This hypothetical birth time would put your ascendant squarely in Leo. Note that both your midnight at 2:30 am charts are pretty close to being in Leo--just a few minutes off, either way, would give you Leo rising in any case.

1:20 am would put transiting Neptune squarely opposite your ascendant. This might read as a time when your personality is subject to a sudden shift--whatever you thought about yourself to be real suddenly seems unreal, or something that you didn't believe was real turns out to be true. Perhaps, just for example, you had approached life with a sense of Leo's optimism that was shattered when your mother passed on.

More generally during the days surrounding your mother's death, transiting Saturn conjunct Jupiter would depress your sense of optimism; and transiting Black Moon Lilith ("the spoiler") is squaring your moon. Transiting chiron ("where it hurts") squares your sun.

1:20am would put your Sun/Mars conjunction in the 3rd. It stands for communication (writing, speaking, including electronic means), thinking/mental habits, short-distance travel, your neighbourhood, and and siblings. See whether any of these seem like a natural fit with your core sense of identity.

You might work further with the possibility of your ascendant being around 15 degrees Leo, to see if it fits for you. During the course of the year, for example, look for transits of the faster-moving planets to see if you notice anything.

In the mean time, you might also work with a whole sign house system. This one equates signs and houses, so that your entire first house is Leo, entire 8th house is Pisces, and so on. It's not as precise as Placidus, but then you also don't have to be so concerned with house cusps.

Attachments

• raquel.jpg
    raquel.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 25