What's my calling in life?

murkybelow

Hi, :alien:

I'm having a hard time deciding what career I'd like to be in after college. Maybe I'll take several very different career paths in my lifetime, is there any indication of this? Also, I always fantasize about being a performer or some form of artist, are there any aspects that indicate that.- I was thinking my midheaven for performance?

Zarathu

Account Closed
Hi, :alien:

I'm having a hard time deciding what career I'd like to be in after college. Maybe I'll take several very different career paths in my lifetime, is there any indication of this? Also, I always fantasize about being a performer or some form of artist, are there any aspects that indicate that.- I was thinking my midheaven for performance?

If astrology were this simple anyone could do it. You have to provide a little bit more data to us if you expect to get any information.

murkybelow

Yikes!!Sorry - slipped my mind.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 3.24.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 3.24.26 PM.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 30

waybread

With your sun-Venus conjunct your ascendant, I think you do need to be in the public eye in some way. Although acting is one possibility, it is a difficult field to break into unless you are very good and very determined, as the competition is stiff.

Other possibilities for a career that puts you front-and-centre are teaching (you do have an audience in that classroom,) sales of some sort, or being a tour guide.

With that Pluto-NN conjunct your midheaven (10th house of career cusp) you just might have sufficient ambition to make it on stage or screen. This means acting classes, and the ability to face defeat after try-outs time after time and still bounce back.

The trouble with Pluto square sun is that people with this placement often construe life as a zero sum game, where someone else's gain gets defined as your loss, and vice versa. Truly successful people often do have a ruthless streak, but if you step on too many toes or stab too many backs, other people will work very hard to stop you from succeeding.

Which would be too bad.

Just one other caution about a 12th house sun. The 12th is the traditional "house of self-undoing," and with the sun here, it is generally one's ego that takes a beating. The 12th is also a house dealing with misfortunate people of various kinds. So there are two ways around this. One is to have your life not be "all about me." Dedicate yourself to a cause bigger than yourself. If you act, the cause might be to Art. If you teach, it might be to your students. You will get repaid with their gratitude, provided you put the focus on them, vs. on yourself. Another strategy is to work on behalf of misfortunate people. If you act, perhaps you and some friends can put on short scenes in nursing homes. If you sing or play the piano, they love performances. If you get into sales, join the Rotary club or some other service organization.

With your north node of personal growth in the 9th house (along with Jupiter,) you should benefit from travel, higher education, and developing a life philosophy. Being a tour guide might combine your need to be visible in life and your 9th house emphasis.

Are you a university student now? What is your major?

Last edited:

murkybelow

Thanks for the reply .

Well ... my major is very distant from acting. It's Environmental Science. I'm more of the environmental activist, animal loving, vegan type. I guess I really meant to ask if there was any major indication of artsy qualities in my chart.. I've dabbled in poetry.. but stage fright would prob kill any acting pursuits.

hmm I definitely would like to be some sort of adventure, or exploratory tour guide...

Last edited:

waybread

One thing you might consider is working as a naturalist interpreter for a park or nature center. This would combine your current interests with what I am seeing in your chart.

Stage fright? Well, OK. Lots of people who act, teach, or speak in front of groups have it. They develop well-known techniques to get past it. But please don't sell yourself short.

Venus rules the fine and performing arts. But your Venus conjuncts your sun and ascendant! This suggests to me that you need to express your art through your body (first house) and sense of identity (sun.)

Let's take poetry. You might be really good at it. You would know this from grades (marks) received in creative writing classes, or perhaps through literary competitions. If you haven't done these things yet, this is a good time to start.

But few people can make a living writing poetry, even the really well-known, established poets. Many become English literature teachers, or have some other day job. Or maybe a spouse who supports them.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with poetry as a fulfilling hobby. Which might just get you back to environmental science to keep bread on the table and a roof over your head.

The ruler of your 10th house of career cusp, Jupiter is located in the 9th house of higher education, travel, and philosophy. Again, if we think through what careers are supported by this placement we might come up with something like working for the World Wildlife Fund. But I think either your birth time is wrong, or else there is something within you that needs self-expression as your embodiment and personality.

Last edited:

waybread

Hi again, Murky-- just one more thing.

Oftentimes people with Pluto square sun were bullied as small children. This makes it difficult for them to develop a sense of trust in other people as they get older. Stage fright may have something to do with fears of a hostile reception.

But Pluto square sun people are also often very ambitious. And it is hard to get very far in life constantly working behind the scenes within one's comfort zone.

murkybelow

Hmm, interesting these are good ideas..

I've been interested in international work ( maybe someday the UN) and would like travel to be common in my future profession

Yes, bullying was an issue... but I am working on public speaking..

about my birth time.. I've been trying to figure it out too. The recorded time is 7:26 am. but I think my ascendent better relates to sometime between 7:15 - 7:20

One more thing. How did you develop the knowledge on most of this interpretation. I'm really getting into the natal chart astrology research, and I've just been jumping to various sites for info. Could you recommend books perhaps? , assuming you learned that way.

waybread

Murky, if you were born in a hospital ( or at home with a midwife) and they narrowed the time down to the minute, I would recommend you go with it. At least in the past, hospitals often rounded the times to the nearest 10 minutes or so, so a birth time could easily be off enough to throw off the chart, but this wouldn't seem to be your case.

But you have so many planets in Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces that any one of these rising signs, let alone with a planet conjunct the ascendant, would strongly modify the rising sign's expression. Saturn or Uranus conjunct one's ascendant, for example, would give a very different reading than having sun-Venus there.

Do you want to post your 7:26 chart, and see what that looks like? (It will change your house cusps, as well.) Of course, it could also change the vocational reading as your MC will likely change, as well.

In terms of what I bring to the table, I am an amateur astrologer but I have been studying astrology since around 1990, and reading charts on Internet forums since late 2007.

One book I highly recommend is Steven Forrest, The Inner Sky; as well as Robert Hand, Planets in Youth. (Good for any age.) Forrest takes a very dynamic approach, which I appreciate, because too often people look at a horoscope as a collection of static personality traits. Hand is more of a "cookbook" but I find both of them to be wise and compassionate. I think they are both available through Internet book sellers.

Best wishes for your astro-journey!

Last edited:

murkybelow

Sure. The chart is attached. I guess I've been questioning the procedure of hospital time recording since I wasn't born in the US, but we'll forget that for now.

BTW, one of the reasons I also think the true is dif, relates to some house shifts. my 5th house changes to Cancer, which in some ways does fit, but not as accurately as Gemini in the 5th, and the 11 more so fits Sag. than Capricorn in description.

... quintile between MC and pluto also gets knocked off the chart.

.. the Midheaven does shift to 8 deg, and of course the Ascendant is dif.

Thanks for book recommendations, and I guess I have a long way to go in terms of studying astro; 23 odd years is quite the record.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 11.36.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 11.36.52 PM.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

waybread

So some things are different and some things are similar. We lose your sun-Venus on your ascendant as they move well into the 12th house, but now Saturn sits on your ascendant in the first house. These placements are much more consistent with someone who dislikes being in the public eye.

The 12th house calls for a very altruistic streak, which is well expressed by working on behalf of a cause that seems much bigger than yourself; or on behalf of other people, notably those who seem misfortunate in some way. With your sun in the 12th, you probably prefer to work behind the scenes.

I guess I never paid as much attention to the sign on the cusp of an untenanted house as to the planet that rules the sign on the house cusp, called the "lord" or "accidental house cusp ruler."

With Cancer on the cusp of your 5th house of children and recreational activities (as well as "love affairs" in the light-hearted flirting sense, rather than as a partner/spouse) we look to the moon for more information on your 5th house. It is in Capricorn in your 11th house of friends, suggesting that friends (notably any older or more mature than yourself) are important for your leisure activities.

With Neptune and Uranus shifting to your 11th house with the later birth time, I would imagine you like friends who seem a bit unusual in some way. This probably makes them more interesting.

If we look at your 7:01 am chart, with Gemini on the 5th house cusp, we look to its ruler Mercury, which appears in your first house, conjunct Saturn. Saturn also gives a sense of something old or mature, so I might imagine you reading (Mercury) old (Saturn) books or collecting antiques or somesuch! Since the first house indicates the body, maybe you are interested in fitness, including walking or running. Mercury looks a bit stressed but it makes a nice trine to Jupiter (still in the 9th) suggesting an interest in international travel, developing a life philosophy, published works of enduring value, or theology.

One other thing you might think about is which house system you use. Placidus is the default house system on Astrodienst, and I think it usually works just fine, but other astrologers prefer different house systems as giving a more accurate reading for them, as the house cusps normally change somewhat with different house systems. In an equal house or whole signs system, for example, we still get Gemini on the cusp of your 5th house, even with your later birth time.

I think astrology does take time to learn -- I certainly wouldn't claim to have mastered it. On the other hand, I am of an older generation than you and didn't start studying astrology till I was much older than you are. So you have an advantage. One of the best things you can do to learn astrology is start reading charts for people. If they give you feedback, your learning curve will really accelerate.

murkybelow

You hit all the right descriptions!

There is some odd aspect that I can't figure out though. I've always been interested in performance of some kind. I played three instruments as a kid, and dreamed of being a world class pianist when I was young, since then it's evolved to dance etc. But I'm not too keen on actually getting on stage, per se.

Yup, most of my friends are older by at least two years... and quite the odd bunch

And definitely into the fitness, healthy eating/living thing wholeheartedly.

I do collect old pocket watches.. a bit of a weird interest i guess

thanks for the tip on house systems, I always did wonder why there were options, but the equal house/ whole house system does seem to work for me.