core personality needs and splash type charts

or1000

when analysing a natal chart that has a splash or scattering type formation, how would you go about addressing the core personality needs? especially if the person is wanting to know about things such as good career path and routes to take in life for the betterment of their needs?

waybread

This person is probably a "jack of all trades." The down side is difficulty in focusing. The positive side is that s/he would be good at a job that includes a lot of diversity. Nothing like sitting at a desk doing the same work day after day; but maybe a job that has desk work one day, local travel another day, meeting different groups of people the next day, teaching a workshop on the weekend, and so on.

If the career doesn't provide sufficient diversity, this can be somewhat remedied by avocational interests and pursuing various hobbies.

The positive side is that this person can probably relate well to various situations and types of people, because s/he has a spoon in each pot, so to speak.

If you have a particular chart in mind to post, that would be helpful.

Then the NN indicates where one's personal growth lies. It may be way out of one's comfort zone, or it might reinforce an existing chart placement.

Lykanized

I have a similar chart, but the chart pattern is honestly very superficial. Like for me, my chart is also retrograde heavy, so I look at those, their houses and the connections they form. It’s mercury heavy, that’s the chart ruler and ruler of 3 inner planets. Things like that. Other patterns...
I love to write, that follows with the Mercury. My mercury forms easy aspects to mars and Pluto, hard close aspects to Neptune and Uranus. All retrograde except for Mars. All contained in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th houses. Chart ruler mercury in the 11th house. People. I want to help people. Also where my sun is. 12th house Leo Chiron for all the feels and insecurity and struggle to release that 5th house expression

Just an example. I have a splash chart and no stelliums. While I’m interested in a great many things, I can easily see where I shine best is with words and creativity in general. You can find these concentrated patterns internally beneath the surface

Hkk

Account Closed
So what’s a splash chart. I have stellium in 1st and 3rd. Planet in 4th and then planet in 11th. Would this make my chart a ‘splash’ Chart? I thought my chart was a bucket chart

conspiracy theorist

So what’s a splash chart. I have stellium in 1st and 3rd. Planet in 4th and then planet in 11th. Would this make my chart a ‘splash’ Chart? I thought my chart was a bucket chart

A splash chart is one of seven chart patterns that Marc Edmund Jones originally developed/"discovered" as a practicing astrologer. The splash chart is when the 10 planets are generally scattered around the chart in such a way that there aren't any groupings.

You can read more here https://www.astro.com/astrology/in_jonespatterns_e.htm

Hkk

Account Closed

waybread

A "splash" chart is just a pattern. It doesn't specifically mean that some planets will be domiciled and thus extra strong, or not; that some planets will be well-aspected and others not; what house they are in; and so on. For that you have to look at the particular chart.

In modern astrology, a planet conjunct the sun shows what the person identifies with.

Osamenor

Staff member
Core personality needs are not the same thing as career. For core personality needs, always look at the sun first: its placement and its aspects.

That said, if someone with a splash chart asks what kind of career they should follow, I would advise them (and I have, in this situation) that they need to keep their fingers in multiple pies. Even if they have one job, they also need room in their life for other serious interests. And with that kind of chart, no single career will completely fulfill their needs. They might go through multiple careers in a lifetime, and no matter what they're doing for a job, they'll also need their other interests.

So for work, the important thing is that whatever they do pays the bills, doesn't drive them crazy, and does leave room in their life for their other interests. Their job may meet some of their needs, regarding career and day-to-day life, but it won't fulfill all of them, so they need to use their other interests to meet the needs that their job doesn't.

Now, I would expect that whatever work they do, it will fit their sixth and tenth house parameters. But they might go through multiple kinds of jobs that all fit those parameters, in different ways.

Last edited:

greybeard

The ideal splash pattern features 10 planets spread through the 12 houses. It is a dispersion pattern, a scattering of energies. Interests and relations are widespread. As Jones says, "The native gets on his horse and rides off in all directions at once." It can show an ability to draw many diverse elements into the common center of self; multi-tasking at its finest.

Difficulty in focus, concentration.

Quite commonly the pattern contains a grand cross, creating many serious and long lasting obstacles to progress.

Last edited:

Hkk

Account Closed
A "splash" chart is just a pattern. It doesn't specifically mean that some planets will be domiciled and thus extra strong, or not; that some planets will be well-aspected and others not; what house they are in; and so on. For that you have to look at the particular chart.

In modern astrology, a planet conjunct the sun shows what the person identifies with.

Hey Waybread,

What do you mean by what the person identifies with? As in within themselves. Eg my sun in 4th cap conjunct merc in 3rd sag?

waybread

Mercury rules your thinking and communication. With sun conjunct Mercury you probably identify (sun) with your intelligence.

BTW, my planets are scattered in 7 signs, not counting various non-planetary points.

Last edited:

Hkk

Account Closed
Mercury rules your thinking and communication. With sun conjunct Mercury you probably identify (sun) with your intelligence.

BTW, my planets are scattered in 7 signs, not counting various non-planetary points.

My merc is combusted apparently being near my sun

waybread

Combustion has meaning in traditional astrology. Not so much in modern astrology. Chart patterns like the splash chart are definitely modern. A lot of professors have Mercury conjunct the sun.

I actually think a splash chart is useful for astrologers. If you read charts for people you have to relate to many different types of folks, respond to a range of questions, learn various techniques, and then somehow synthesize the horoscope. I doubt that anyone with a bundle type of chart could really do this so well because they would not approach life from a panoramic perspective.

Hkk

Account Closed
Combustion has meaning in traditional astrology. Not so much in modern astrology. Chart patterns like the splash chart are definitely modern. A lot of professors have Mercury conjunct the sun.

I actually think a splash chart is useful for astrologers. If you read charts for people you have to relate to many different types of folks, respond to a range of questions, learn various techniques, and then somehow synthesize the horoscope. I doubt that anyone with a bundle type of chart could really do this so well because they would not approach life from a panoramic perspective.

Thank you Waybread 👍 appreciate your insights 😍