View Single Post
Unread 10-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
The only real biblical prohibitions in astrology come from Isaiah 47:13 and the book of Daniel, and even there, the tone of the Bible is more mocking astrologers' uselessness than outright forbidding astrology. If you can find some other proof-text, please let me know. More generally Leviticus 19:26 and Deuteronomy 18:9-14, 2 Kings 21:6 prohibit divination. A lot of the prohibitions of occult practices do not mention astrology, but mostly they condemn consulting mediums who communicate with the dead.

I don't think there are any specific prohibitions in the New Testament. Many Christians feel that the New Testament replaced the Old Testament.

The catechism of the Catholic church does expressly forbid astrology. This is based upon the first commandment: "You shall have no other Gods before me." I think this is a serious concern. If we are worried about the future, should we consult an astrologer or put our faith in God's plan for our lives?

Then I have seen some really odd interpretations by Evangelical ministers, who seem to think that astrologers today worship stars.

It is important to note that the biblical prohibitions against divination were written before horoscopic astrology was invented, like prior to 400 BCE. Babylonian astrology was what the Jews knew about, and the Babylonians thought that the planets were gods or omens from the gods. These planetary gods were worshipped extensively in Babylon.

Today, however, we can talk about the planets Mercury and Venus without any association with ancient gods.

Moreover, much of the astrology that is practiced today is not divination (i. e., prognostication, foretelling the future) but is basically analyzing someone's character through a natal horoscope interpretation. If I explain someone's personality traits and life issues by reading his birth chart. That is not divination.

If I predict what will happen to him in the coming year, that is divination.

Interestingly, the Catholic church during the early Middle Ages in Europe ran the major universities, and astrology/astronomy was a major part of their curriculum, including divination. I think their rationale was that God created the heavens and the order of planetary movements. The astrologer simply tries to interpret God's will for people.

Graybeard mentioned the 3 magi and the book of Revelation. Revelation has a lot of encrypted astrological lore in it. John's visions can be matched against constellations. The tree of life is probably the constellation Ophiuchus.

Eventually you will make up your own mind as to the relationship between your faith and fascination with astrology.

With all good wishes for your journey, W.
Thank you, waybeard. This is really informative and I really appreciate.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlutoLibScoAsc For This Useful Post:
waybread (10-10-2019)