I don't really understand Nodes

I'm having a bit of trouble with this, so I figured that perhaps I could ask in this space? If not, sincere apologies!

So my north node is in Cancer, second house. Irregardless if I think of is as an "we, not me" (from that wonderful article in the beginners section) or a karmic thing, it holds some importance for my "destiny" (of sorts), is what I'm getting.

What I'm wondering is, should I look at the aspects in my chart as relating to Cancer, or the Node itself? I have both Mars and Saturn square my North Node, so should I (as an example) look up Mars square Moon and try to understand it from the North Node perspective? Or am I way off?

I'm sorry for asking this next question in the natal astrology part, but I just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly about this:

I also seem to have my North Node square someone elses North Node. To understand this, if I'm right about relating to my own chart, should I find this persons North Node sign/planet and house and relate that to mine?

Sorry for the ramblings here, I'm so very lost!

wilsontc

Staff member
look at aspects to the node, to lady

lady,

You asked:
...should I look at the aspects in my chart as relating to Cancer, or the Node itself?

When looking at aspects of planets to a node, look at aspects of planets to the node. While the node is related to the astronomical Moon, it has its own purpose and function in the chart, completely separate from the astrological Moon. So to find out about Mars square the North Node...look up Mars square the North Node. The sign of the nodes simply give you additional information about the nodes. Look up the aspect first, then add in the sign information later to see how the sign modifies the nodal point. For example, look up Mars square the North Node, then consider that Mars is in the sign of Gemini while the Node is in the sign of Virgo and add in this information to your interpretation.

Astro-basically,

Tim

noraleader

Banned
not trying to pick on you or be pedantic, friendly like, .. hey, maybe you knew, and were employing the term stylistically, i don't know..

"irregardless" you could have said "regardless", it's like a made up word :)

Kitchy

Banned
Donna Cunningham's Nodes book (i don't know the title exactly) is a great source.

If you study the nodes first - purpose and meaning of moon's nodes - the umbra? - then the planets that rule them and the signs that they are in.

Last edited:
Donna Cunningham's Nodes book (i don't know the title exactly) is a great source.

Oh great, I'll check it out. Thanks so much for the tip!

If you study the nodes first - purpose and meaning of moon's nodes - the umbra? - then the planets that rule them and the signs that they are in.

This is good advice, I might have put too much focus on the aspect. Thanks for the perspective!

Julia Karmic Astrology

Hi Lady Lazarus,

I work with the nodes quite a bit in my readings and can share with you how I look at the nodes.

There is so much information packed into a natal chart, it can feel overwhelming and confusing.

Part of your confusion is that you are trying to do too much all at once, and I suggest you break down the process into manageable steps. Synastry is a whole other topic, so I would suggest you should start with understanding the nodes in your chart first, then venture into synastry.

1. The first thing is to start with the Nodes themselves, before you begin to look at aspects. Look at the signs first. It may help to see the nodes as an axis, a dyad. A NN in Cancer means a SN in Capricorn. There is considerable information available online and books about the Nodes. Learn what NN in Cancer means, what SN in Cap means. NN in Cancer is a path of nurture (self and others) in this life. SN in Cap, this soul must leave behind control and being authoritarian. Use the positive energies of both signs to help you on your soul path. This is just a tidbit of information about the Nodal signs, there is obviously more information available.

2. Then look at the houses of the Nodes. This will show you were the nodal goals should manifest. You have a 2/8 axis. The 2h is the karmic gift house and shows the resources brought forward from past lives. Cancer NN in this house means you must use your spiritual gift of nurturing in this life, the focus spiritual rather than material. An 8h SN is scorpionic, in past lives you have dealt with much pain, drama and challenges. You have used and misused power. In this life, use power wisely in a more calm, quiet way bringing forward wisdom. The Cancer/Capricorn nodal axis is about unification of energies, male/female, masculine/feminine.

There are many descriptions online, read, look around and see what fits for you.

3. Then look at aspects to your nodes. You can go wide in terms of orbs when it comes to the Nodes, wider aspects will be more subtle, but you can go 8-10 degrees. Conjunctions to the SN may pull the soul back into old ways of behaving. Conjunctions to the NN may help move the soul forward. Squares will be a challenge, feeling torn between the two energies, but offer a chance to integrate past, present and future. (This is just a thumbnail description).

Synastry is another topic, but basically you are going to be looking at inner to outer planet aspects in each chart, and then the aspects that go both ways in the two charts (Double Whammy). These are the karmic markers for the two people. Synastry nodal squares have the potential for disintegration or unification of soul paths. It is a challenging situation but an opportunity for growth.

Hope this helps.

Julia

Julia, thank you so much for your post (and I'm very sorry it's taken me some time to reply). This was a very straightforward and beginner-friendly guide, just what I needed. It should really be on in the education part of the forum!