Effeminate traits in a man

tizer

I was wondering if anyone has observed effeminate traits in a heterosexual man in their chart. Would a cancer moon or asc suggest this character, or is that far too simplistic?

R4VEN

Interesting question...............

I think that some men with Cancer Moon may seem/appear effeminate, but I'm sure this is not universally so.
eg some men with Cancer Moon:

• actor/writer/director, Richard E Grant, who is hetero, but very sensitive, and so gives off a kind of effeminate air.
  • writer/broadcaster, Melvyn Bragg; sensitive, but not effeminate
  • my niece's husband; grew up in Darwin, so despite being a sensitive man, he is also very blokey, and not at all effeminate..... (but he really loves his mum!!)
My youngest son is very sensitive, hetero, and comes across as slightly effeminate, and was teased while in high school with names like fag, etc. He has quite a few planets in his 12th house, including Sun, Mars, Venus - i.e. personal planets.

I would be more drawn to 12th house planets, as effeminate traits in hetrosexual men tend to come from the unconscious. My son grew up in small town Australia, and found the value system of his peers really hard to take.

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
I have had a few heterosexual friends with effeminate traits.I too have noticed a connection with planets in cancer-especially the moon and also venus in Libra has come up a few times. I don't have many charts to look at in relation to this, but the few I do have, show Libran ascendants or venus in h1.
One has mars in Libra in h12 and one has sun in Libra in h12, which is similar to your observations R4ven.
A lot also depends on our definition of *effeminacy*.My own interpretation for the sake of this exercise, was to consider such things as interests in things usually considered mainly female, sometimes vocal quality is part of it, style of dress etc.
But its a blurry area these days, and it might help us Tize, if you describe your understanding of the term so we're all on the same page.
Cheers
Lilly

byjove

Account Closed
Hi there,

I have read many astrologers saying that a male with a feminine moon
often makes him appealing to women...it adds a certain something. I've
Cancer rising and people say that they can see those traits a mile away,
and I think it's still very difficult for other masculine placements to overpower
that...I've many Aries/Capricorn effects but it still comes through a Cancer Rising window...but for the record, since you mentioned sexuality, I'm not straight. And many guys I've seen with very feminine placements like that who
were straight just seemed to hide that aspect around other guys, only let girls
see...

R4VEN

One has mars in Libra in h12 and one has sun in Libra in h12, which is similar to your observations R4ven.
My son has both these - i.e. Mars and Sun in Libra in 12th.
It seems to imbue him with an unconscious - and so quite powerful - requirement for balance in all things, which spills over into his personal life, and also the way he projects himself into his environment. eg. he never ever does that bloke-thing of taking charge even when no-one wants him to - he always checks with others to see what they require.

I know a number of hetero men who are significantly effeminate - unfortunately I do not know their birth details.

Yes, an idea of what is meant by effeminate would help. For me, I would class it as thinking about a man: Is he gay? - which is what I thought when I first saw an interview with Ricahrd E Grant.

starlink

Moon in Pisces in 6th trine Mars in Cancer. This is my man. He is double Virgo.He is adored by all women he meets just because he understands them so well. They cry out on his shoulder, honestly!, and he listens, perfectly understanding their chagrin:). I always have to laugh when he tells me all their problems in their lovelife, wondering how on earth he has the patience to listen to all that womentalk. Great to have around when you feel sick, goes out of his way to help. Only thing he does not understand is why women love soaps, like Eastenders, Top Models, Coronation street etc. :)

HeyPlayGirl

i noticed a few males with virgo suns/moons/or ascendants who are SLIGHTLY more feminine. also, i always wondered if a male had an ascendant or moon in libra or taurus would that perhaps make them more feminine in their look/gestures, etc since those signs are ruled by venus? same goes for women with an ascendant/moon that is ruled by mars being a bit more masculine? i've seen a few females with scorpio moons/suns that are more tomboyish but then again i guess it also depends on mars and venus in their charts too..
just my 2 cents :wink:

PaxMercurius

Typically if a person has more feminine placements (planets in Taurus or Virgo, Pisces and Cancer, with Capricorn and Scorpio being unofficially quite 'masculine' in my opinion - the rulership of Saturn and Mars respectively) or the essential dignity of the feminine planets (Moon, Venus, Mercury if affected by either or by sign) are strong and influencial, they will have more 'feminine' characteristics, and vice-versa. It takes a fairly strong polarity to effect a person strongly one way or the other, and in my experience, seems to be irrespective of physical sex. This is more an indication of 'polarity', rather than specific gendered behaviour, imo. Mercury, as the ruler of the 'animal soul' or primal self, has a strong influence on gendered expression, I find. Its placement and aspects seem to be quite significant in a lot of charts I've read, as is the ruling planet of the chart.

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
I know a number of hetero men who are significantly effeminate - unfortunately I do not know their birth details.

Yes, an idea of what is meant by effeminate would help. For me, I would class it as thinking about a man: Is he gay? - which is what I thought when I first saw an interview with Ricahrd E Grant.

Well, I'm not sure if this particular description will help hit the nail on the head, since, of course, not all gay guys are effeminate, and not all straight guys are masculine, and I think it was Starlink who made an excellent point about what is 'masculine' or 'feminine' now? The lines are blurred. But of course it could be helpful to think about in which society? In Italy for example, I just don't see any classic 'feminine' traits exposed in males, but in Britain, yes, definitely. The lines between what guys/girls are or show has blurred significantly. But maybe in big countries like the US, all of the above types can be found, depending on state for example.

So, is there a model, a society or archetype? I just can't tell anymore, I never wonder who's gay, the traits are so blurred now. I've met PLENTY of straight guys who were VERY hetero, and plenty of 'masculine' / 'macho' guys who were not straight (though much of that is affectation from my perspective, they often TRY to appear a certain way, and the actual individual is lost behind the smokescreen)...

tizer

What did I mean by effeminate? Well in the most simple form, I suppose a man that you would suspect to be homosexual. Now, what that could actually be is really so broad... So perhaps an inclination towards the more 'feminine' signs could be it. Just the general 'feel' of their expression.

Both examples that spring to mind are virgo suns. One is extremely exuberant and bright in his dress, and has absolutely no qualms wearing pink (or any other 'girly' colour), to the extent that he is often mistaken as gay. He has a cancer ascendant square uranus. Only saturn is in the 12th house. The other I don't have the chart for, but the way he expresses himself is very camp, even the way he runs! He's also mortally sensitive about his sexuality and hates being wound up about this.

As HeyPlayGirl said, on the flip side, I have lots of Scopionic influence and would certainly agree that I'm on the masculine side of femininity!!

Last edited:

MTTY05

I can relate to this, but I hate it. Even my own grandma has accused me of being gay. And instead of coming to my defense, another family member of mine just says things like "let him to what he wants, he's an adult". Another friend of mine has said to me "I don't care if you're gay". Although we were talking about other people, I know she was trying to very delicatly address that towards me. Then later she said something about how my mannerisms reminded her so much of her gay brother. Why would I remind you of gay people??

Don't get me wrong, I love the gay community, but I would definitley prefer to not be mistaken as one of them for the simple reason that I'm not gay. I know that most people know I'm straight, but I still find it dissapointing that some people who are close to me would have such misconceptions.

I've seen the 12th house mentioned in this thread a few times. I personally never really associated that house with effeminancy, but in equal house I do have 3 outer planets there. And on there other side of my chart I have 4 personal planets in Virgo, and a Libra moon. But yet, I never saw myself as an effiminate person...despite the skinny jeans.:tongue:

Pallas-trine-Mars

A Cancer Moon doesn't mean effeminate and yes, that is far too simplistic, though Cancer and the Moon are considered somewhat feminine. Would you describe Keanu Reeves effeminate?

I'd actually be looking for more Libra, Pisces, maybe even Leo placements (no, Leo's not usually considered feminine, but I think a strong Leo can be more sexually unrestrained, all the fixed signs actually). I find that Venus, while arguably the most feminine planet of all (psychologically speaking, not the female/mother archetype most say the Moon is supposed to be) works the opposite way in a male chart and if angular or combust and makes him more consciously unfeminine, yet if her sign and exaltation are strong (Libra and Pisces) the feminine aspect of his personality still shines through, also if Venus positively aspects the ascendant.

I think If we're talking about a person's sexuality we must also look at the 8th house, Pluto, whatever aspects Venus makes and the condition of the rulers of the 5th, 7th, 1st and 8th house. Vesta is also supposed to be related to sexual issues and Chiron of course is psychological healing and issues and stuff like that. Some people would say Mars too, but I think Mars is more about action first, then sex and lust later.

Last edited:

MantisReligiosa

I was wondering if anyone has observed effeminate traits in a heterosexual man in their chart. Would a cancer moon or asc suggest this character, or is that far too simplistic?

I think effeminate traits-well, the "visible" traits, in general, can only be seen through the Ascendant-its position by sign, aspects to planets, and maybe, to a lesser extent, planets in the 1st house.(if you really wanna go deep, you can take planetary pictures involving the AC and declinations into account, as well).

Since I cannot refrain myself from considering both Sidereal and Tropical placements, I am gonna say that Tropical Libras and Sidereal Virgos are usually effeminate-looking.(think Alain Delon and Leonardo Dicaprio).

However, I'm guessing there are aspects to the AC that can weigh more in masculinity. Like a Libra Rising conjunct Mars might be more "macho".

Whether a man acts effeminate or not is a different issue. I find it funny ever now and then when I see a Sag Rising who acts manly just to live up to his image, when, in fact he's a Cancer with a Libra Moon...lol

I guess what makes a man actually "feel" more on the feminine side is a Venus-Moon aspect. These are the typical ladies' men:love:.
Unfortunately, they can be major womanizers who love all women and no one woman in particular..

LeadLeftHand

Here's a Cancer on the right:
mike-tyson.jpg

Inside Out Orange

Here's a Cancer on the right:
mike-tyson.jpg

And have you ever heard him talk? That lisp is hardly the most masculine thing you'll hear but that doesn't have to be down to his Sun sign.

I don't believe anyone suggested that Sun Sign Cancerians are effeminate, but there was a suggestion that the Moon sign Cancerians might be. I'd expect it to be a much more complex set of aspects or delineations that something that simple.

LeadLeftHand

And have you ever heard him talk? That lisp is hardly the most masculine thing you'll hear but that doesn't have to be down to his Sun sign.

I don't believe anyone suggested that Sun Sign Cancerians are effeminate, but there was a suggestion that the Moon sign Cancerians might be. I'd expect it to be a much more complex set of aspects or delineations that something that simple.
Who cares? Literally half of his life was dominated by being a king in a masculine trade. He's a prime example of a Cancer type who was moar masculine than most people will ever be.

From what I seen so far lots of Cancer male types have an exaggerated alpha male personality. Libras and Virgos are "fruity".

MaeMae

Banned
Mars in Virgo in a man's chart, hands down. I've known several men, two of whom were old loves, who have what would I consider an effeminate nature. None were gay, but a certain j'nais c'est quai that lended itself to this determination.

Lion o ness

Thats funny that this subject has been brought up.. I recently met a Libra Man.. My first impression of him, was he's a bit to feminine... I thought I wonder if he's bi... Or if he's just trying to find himself... Im 100% sure someone has asked him, if he was gay... I wanted so bad to ask... But I didnt want to mess with that male ego... lol... So I contiuned to talk to him.. He's SOOO not gay! lol.. (even though he does come across even more feminne the more I got to talk to him)

I dont know his time... But I was actually guessing a Scorpio asc.. or a Libra asc... He has ver strong bone structure..

His moon is in Cap.. I checked the entire day.. Its cap..

He has a Libra Stellium of
pluto,mars,uranus, sun
Merc in Scop
venus in Virgo