ANATTA chatter

JUPITERASC

What's the point of celibacy for Buddhist monk @JUPITERASC?
Buddha's first discourse
identifies craving aka “tanha” as the cause of suffering aka “dukkha”.

Buddha then identifies three objects of craving:
craving for existence
craving for non-existence
craving for sense pleasures “kama”.

“Kama” is identified as one of five hindrances
to the attainment of jhana
according to Buddha's teaching.
Throughout Sutta Pitaka Buddha often compares sexual pleasure to arrows or darts.
So in the Kama Sutta (4.1) from the Sutta Nipata
the Buddha explains that craving sexual pleasure is a cause of suffering :smile:

“.....If one, longing for sensual pleasure, achieves it, yes, he's enraptured at heart.
The mortal gets what he wants.
But if for that person - longing, desiring - the pleasures diminish
he's shattered, as if shot with an arrow....”

Buddha then goes on to say:

“.....So one, always mindful, should avoid sensual desires.
Letting them go, he will cross over the flood
like one who, having bailed out the boat, has reached the far shore....”

The 'flood' refers to the deluge of human suffering.
The 'far shore' is nibbana, a state in which there is no sensual desire.

The meaning of the Kama Sutta
is that sensual desire, like any habitual sense pleasure
brings suffering.
To lay people Buddha advised they at least avoid sexual misconduct
From Buddha's full-time disciples, the ordained monks and nuns
strict celibacy aka called brahmacarya
had always been required

Blaze

Account Closed
Interesting video, mon ami! Going by what was said, it could be that, indeed, meditative visions are complex delusions. One reason being: These visions are more often than not of something the mind is attracted to. Such as Tibetan Buddhists seeing one of the Bodhisattva or Christian monks seeing Jesus or Muslims seeing Muhammad, yogis observing whichever aspect of the divine they know of etc.

While not well versed in visions, the only story known by memory of someone seeing another cultures deity would be with Tibetans great yogi, Milarepa, with his vision of Dakini.

Tying this into a "self," what if that very notion is a delusion that shows just like those other visions people have had? Because there is an attraction to the idea of an "eternal self," eh?

JUPITERASC

Interesting video, mon ami! Going by what was said, it could be that, indeed, meditative visions are complex delusions. One reason being: These visions are more often than not of something the mind is attracted to. Such as Tibetan Buddhists seeing one of the Bodhisattva or Christian monks seeing Jesus or Muslims seeing Muhammad, yogis observing whichever aspect of the divine they know of etc.

While not well versed in visions, the only story known by memory of someone seeing another cultures deity would be with Tibetans great yogi, Milarepa, with his vision of Dakini.

Tying this into a "self," what if that very notion is a delusion that shows just like those other visions people have had? Because there is an attraction to the idea of an "eternal self," eh?

Ethics :smile:

- Educating the Mind and Heart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtWli7_0Ps

SunConjunctUranus

Jhana, Bakti, Darma, Duka, Lara ... those are very familiar vocabularies. We would've a better nations if not indoctrinated by pirates theology.

Btw Jupiter, I always thought Buddha was little more dark/brown skiner and more skinnier than mainstream depiction of Him. Hahaha no, I'm just joking.

JUPITERASC

Jhana, Bakti, Darma, Duka, Lara
... those are very familiar vocabularies.
We would've a better nations if not indoctrinated by pirates theology.
Btw Jupiter,

I always thought Buddha was little more dark/brown skiner
and more skinnier than mainstream depiction of Him.
Hahaha no, I'm just joking.

a1a6d448673dd7e426bcf7f937b9a925.jpg

JUPITERASC

If you want to know your past life, look at your present condition.
If you want to know your future life, look at your present actions :smile:

- Guru Padmasambhava

82430721_1026987104337488_2123423722244145152_n.jpg

Ukpoohbear

Jup, how do you post images? I tried adding attachment but it made it a thumbnail? And then I used imgur and it never worked either with either by imbedding or creating a link :/