Urania is Our Salvation

david starling

Since it was discovered at a time when Astronomers were adamantly seeking to distance themselves from Astrology, the last of the Planets visible to the "naked eye" was named without astrological input or considerations. Gender is a factor in Astrology, and only 2, the Moon and Venus had feminine names. But Astronomy was a male-dominated profession, and redressing the gender imbalance wasn't a consideration. One thing that was addressed was the Greek name for the newly recognised Planet, instead of a Latin version. I'm of the cherished opinion that they ALMOST got it right: Instead of the male God of Heaven, it should have been the female goddess of THE heavens, for one obvious reason--Urania is known as the Muse of Astronomy. The original intent of the male version was to use a Greek name, Ouranos, meaning "sky", but even this went by the way, and a bastardized version, perporting to be "Latinized", gave us "Uranus", when the true Roman equivalent was "Caelus". So, I've personally changed the name of the 7th Planet to what it should have been, "Urania". Since this is unconventional, I use the term "Uranian", which works in both cases, and the glyph :uranus:. When I first saw the glyph, I immediately likened it to an antenna, which fits in nicely with the "Mind-waves" glyph for the Sign I believe it rules, Aquarius, and for signals sent and received over the air. The parabolic outline is pretty obvious, and actually ahead of its time, in keeping with the inventive characteristics associated with the "Uranian Effect", as I refer to the expression of the Planet.
I have :uranus: Trine Venus and the Moon, tight Orb, in Gemini. I'm inclined towards inventive thinking, but with both Moon and Venus in Aquarius, I prefer pattern and logic to just "anything goes". Introducing even one new Planet into the fold upsets the Traditional table of Dignities and Disabilities, so I'm working on a Modern version that will include all three outermost Planets. For now, since this Thread is about the Uranian Effect (UE), the obvious, with Uranian rulership of Aquarius: Domiciled in :aquarius:. I want to emphasize, this is NOT about replacing or interfering with the Traditional versions, which are the roots of Astrology--it's a Modern branch.

Last edited:

muchacho

Assigning rulerships is pretty simple, you just have to stick with the doctrine of signatures.

If you want to complete your modern table of dignities then you have to add two more planets. I've been playing around with Ceres and Eris quite a while, but it didn't really work out.

david starling

Assigning rulerships is pretty simple, you just have to stick with the doctrine of signatures.

If you want to complete your modern table of dignities then you have to add two more planets. I've been playing around with Ceres and Eris quite a while, but it didn't really work out.

I'm going with the EARTH, ruling Taurus (also "in service" to Venus) through the Terrestrial Age Indicator; and SUN, where its subjectively real, Earth-based orbit crosses the Eastern Horizon--the Asc, ruling Sagittarius. Two solar effects, the Solar disk, ruling Leo, and the point where the Sun's (again--subjectively real) orbit intersects the Eastern Horizon, ruling Sagittarius (Co-ruler Jupiter). Best glyph for the Asc: A horizontal line, representing the Eastern Horizon, crossed by an arrow from below to above, showing the rising direction.
Slowest and fastest Zodiacal indicators.

Last edited:
**I'm moving my post from 'Uranus is a Malefic,' to this one, as it's more fitting. Permission from moderator approved. It's more fitting here. In fact, similar points were made by other users but mine went unlistened to. An Uranian speaking the truth, which goes unheard? That's Uranian territory, bebe!! In fact, I think imma get a tattoo wit the symbol of Urania. (On my ankle as that's the part of the body Urania rules).

I think it will be natural for some people to be wary of Uranus' sometimes erratic behaviour, it is associated with earthquakes after all. But to see it as a 'malefic of the highest order' I think is completely missing the nature and beauty that Uranus has to offer. But it is to be empathised that those who prefer a more tangible, controlled environment, would be naturally repulsed by its energy. The secret in understanding it lies in removing that instinctive urge sometimes people get, in order to understand that the very energy of breaking away opens itself to create completely new elements of brain and creation. I like it to Aries in that it's nature is to change and break. After all, how is glass created? And go transfer it to a more human, personal level - wouldn't life be boring if it consistently followed a pattern, without the need for completely new concepts?

The ultimate human example I can give is the artist Daniel Johnston. I watched a documentary a few weeks ago which introduced me to him, 'The devil and Daniel Johnston.' I highly recommend it btw. Anyway, after watching it I can intuitively see that the dominance of Saturn in his hart is tied in with his Mum's authoritarian, religious response to him. He was later diagnosed with having skitzophrenia (Uranus probably governs mental health right?), but basically his sole, true nature and purpose in this life was to CREATE. This naturally contradicted with his Mum's fanatical, fixed religious views and the juxtaposition this caused can be seen in his songs.

But he had to 'break free' and moved to Austin, Texas to follow his need to create and be a musician. He was so creative, he was in control of music, not music giving him ambitions and opportunities. He did art-work too. And perhaps Saturn caused the mental health to catch up on him, but the pure nature of Uranus caused him to be vulnerable and through motivations of jealousy, the lead singer of The Butthole Surfers overloaded him with a concoction of upper drugs and hallucinogenics, and his mental health detoriated. He still created though. The effects of Uranus and Saturn can be seen through this chart, whether it's people blocking his energy, or himself blocking the right path through inner confusion.

Anyway, to sum up - the Uranian energy is impersonal, and its need to destruct should be taken that way too. Destruction is necessary to create. To see it as a malefic is the equivalent to assigning blame to an earthquake, and failing to see the beauty of Mother Nature, from natural disasters to the pure beauty of the seasons. I also liken it to Autism - to expect it to act according to the norm or to try to set t by the same standards as someone not having Autism, or a planet that doesn't need to create to give birth. It cannot and should not be tamed. It would destroy its very purpose it exists. Similarly, artists like Daniel Johnston would not exist, but will always certainly be misunderstood along the way.

https://youtu.be/PgIkVW--62o - trailer for 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston.'

https://youtu.be/FKW2H0WBqW8 song - Story of an Artist

"Everyone in friends and family
Sayin' "hey get a job
Why do you only do that only
Why are you so odd?

"We don't really like what you do
We don't think anyone ever will
It's a problem that you have
And this problem's made you ill"

Last edited:

david starling

Bluebell, I think the other Thread should have included the word "Is" in its title, posing it as a question instead of a foregone conclusion. I agree with you that the Uranian-Effect, as I've been calling it to get around the gender-issue, includes a creative impulse. It's not just about increasing mental abilities and dissolving restrictive paradigms, but about offering more uplifting alternatives. There's a pragmatism involved as well--"The art of the possible".

Bluebell, I think the other Thread should have included the word "Is" in its title, posing it as a question instead of a foregone conclusion. I agree with you that the Uranian-Effect, as I've been calling it to get around the gender-issue, includes a creative impulse. It's not just about increasing mental abilities and dissolving restrictive paradigms, but about offering more uplifting alternatives. There's a pragmatism involved as well--"The art of the possible".

Yes, if it was posed as a question instead of a judgment that would have been less trigger-worthy for people. Society in general is getting closer to viewing the world in a more feminine type of thinking. Compared to the masculine black-and-white, authoritarian, scape-goating tendencies. I don't know if there is a culture clash from say America to Europe, where the latter has a general consensus not to judge or reach forgone conclusions. That type of thinking is only forgiven when it comes from the older generation from ww2, or small sects of people who are labelled 'uneducated,' as it's considered only ignorance to label / judge. Urania encapsulates this shift in thinking perfectly.

Last edited:

david starling

Yes, if it was posed as a question instead of a judgment that would have been less trigger-worthy for people. Society in general is getting closer to viewing the world in a more feminine type of thinking. Compared to the masculine black-and-white, authoritarian, scape-goating tendencies. I don't know if there is a culture clash from say America to Europe, where the latter has a general consensus not to judge or reach forgone conclusions. That type of thinking is only forgiven when it comes from the older generation from ww2, or small sects of people who are labelled 'uneducated,' as it's considered only ignorance to label / judge. Urania encapsulates this shift in thinking perfectly.

Also, in addition to being the goddess of the Heavens, portrayed as holding the Celestial Sphere, she was Muse of Astrology--how cool is that! And, come ON, three new Planets and not ONE named for a goddess? Positively smacks of male-chauvinism! :annoyed:

Last edited:

sibylline

Care to explain why Uranus would be "our salvation"? That wasn't very clear from your OP.

Seeing as Uranus is severing, disorganizing, and disintegrating, it seems like it would be quite the opposite.

graay ghost

Care to explain why Uranus would be "our salvation"? That wasn't very clear from your OP.

Seeing as Uranus is severing, disorganizing, and disintegrating, it seems like it would be quite the opposite.

Perhaps some things need to be severed and disintegrated.

Also, in addition to being the goddess of the Heavens, portrayed as holding the Celestial Sphere, she was Muse of Astrology--how cool is that! And, come ON, three new Planets and not ONE named for a goddess? Positively smacks of male-chauvinism! :annoyed:

The more I learn about Urania, the more I love!! it definetely fits feminine energy, erratic female energy at that - the emergence of a new understanding of preconceived feminine ideals...and she was named after a man....oh the injustice...

sibylline

Can a malefic not be our salvation? I'm a bit confused by the whole argument going on here.

Not an argument. It depends on what he means, which is why I asked for clarification.

salvation
[sal-vey-shuh n]

noun
the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction, etc.
the state of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.
a source, cause, or means of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.

Uranus is an agent of risk and destruction.

As teacher, Uranus encourages us to throw off the yoke of arbitrary traditions, established primarily to benefit people who don't care about our happiness. A name for this process is 'liberation.'

I hope you don't mind me posting this here Waybread, but I love your views on Urania :)

david starling

Time for a change of Age-rulership. Pretty sure you're aware of my explanation that there are Tropical Ages as well as Sidereal. These are Earth's Ages. I needed to know why this Age, now nearing its end, which began with the "Dark Ages", as the historians refer to what happened in Europe after the Fall of Ancient-Rome, is NOTHING like what I'd expect a Neptunian/Jupertarian ruled Age of Pisces to be like; and pretty much EXACTLY what I'd expect from a Saturn-ruled Age of Capricorn. Had to work out the Astronomical mechanism myself. :annoyed: What you're seeing and blaming on the Uranian-Effect is the backlash from the Saturnian-Effect as Saturn's dominion over our mundane existence comes to a close. The change in Age-rulership will be like the difference between Night and Day. According to my calculations, which depend on the variable (nutational) Tropical positions of the point of Earth's Perihelion, 2033 is the VERY beginning of the Tropical Age of Aquarius.
So, to answer your question, :uranus: Will be our salvation as the Earth's Age-ruler of the A of A. Anytime I see hard :saturn:/:uranus: Apects in a Chart, I see trouble. I got lucky--my Natal doesn't have any.

Last edited:

sibylline

Time for a change of Age-rulership. Pretty sure you're aware of my explanation that there are Tropical Ages as well as Sidereal. These are Earth's Ages. I needed to know why this Age, now nearing its end, which began with the "Dark Ages", as the historians refer to what happened in Europe after the Fall of Ancient-Rome, is NOTHING like what I'd expect a Neptunian/Jupertarian ruled Age of Pisces to be like; and pretty much EXACTLY what I'd expect from a Saturn ruled Age of Capricorn. Had to work out the Astronomical mechanism myself. :annoyed: What you're seeing and blaming on the Uranian-Effect is the backlash from the Saturnian-Effect as Saturn's dominion over our mundane existence comes to a close.

@The bolded - what would that be?

So Saturn = darkness, Uranus = enlightenment? I think not.

david starling

@The bolded - what would that be?

So Saturn = darkness, Uranus = enlightenment? I think not.

War, poverty, illnesses, dictatorial regimes, cruel and unusual punishments (burned a flag lately? :lol:), repression and suppression of human rights, destruction of the environment, etc. I meant people who are reacting VERY badly to the gradual Changeover.
I do think Saturnian Age-rulership makes enlightenment nearly impossible, whereas Uranian Age-rulership will make it very easy.