Have a PhD but without a full time job for 20 months. Is there any hope left for me?

Have a PhD but without a full time job for 20 months. Will it get better?

I somehow managed to get educated up to a PhD. After graduation, initially optimistic, I applied to a number of jobs I thought I would have a good chance getting into with my skill set. Sadly it didn't work out, and since then it has just led to a cascading number of failures and I have failed to find a full time job for about 20 months since 2018.

I say full time because I am currently stuck doing odd, low paid temp jobs infrequently as and when they come by.

I have given up on so many of my ambitions at this point as it seems that even in areas which I thought I was "good" at I can't seem to make a career out of it. No matter how many jobs I apply to or interviews I go to, I'm just not able to catch a break.

I have attached my birth chart and aspect tables here. There seems to be a lot of retrograde planets in my chart.

Is there any light or hope at the end of the tunnel for me?

Attachments

• eol_natalchart_dec2019.jpg
    eol_natalchart_dec2019.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43
  • eol_aspect_tables_dec2019.PNG
    eol_aspect_tables_dec2019.PNG
    75.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

waybread

I don't know where you live or what your Ph. D. is in, but if you are in the humanities or social sciences, I'm afraid your predicament is all too common. For decades there have been "jokes" about people with Ph. Ds. in English literature driving cabs to make a living. Oftentimes it's a situation of dozens (if not a hundred) qualified people chasing too few job openings.

Right now you are experiencing some tough transits, like Pluto conjunct natal Uranus-Neptune and Uranus conjunct natal Mars. Probably you are feeling Neptune square natal moon, as well. This last transit can lead to feelings of discouragement and insecurity about what you want. These transits will move off, but they will take their time.

So what is to be done now?

If you are in a field (like a STEM subject) where employment prospects are better, please ask a trusted senior person in your field (like your former supervisor) to review your c.v. I'm not saying yours is problematic, but sometimes c.v.s do not help the person put his/her best foot forward. They may inflate weak credentials, ignore solid achievements, or simply be poorly written and difficult to read.

Ditto with your cover letter. Have you done your homework on the employer, so that you can explain how you would support their objectives? Then consider your references. Are these people truly supportive of you?

If you make it to an interview stage, before the interview see if a good friend (or even a relative) will do a mock interview with you. Record yourself. If you appear nervous or too intense, for example, you should be able to pick up on this and then follow through with work on a more polished presentation.

Then start something-- anything-- that builds on your credentials to minimize the time gap between your Ph. D. and today. Publish articles out of your dissertation. Start a tutoring service. If you're in an applied field, perhaps you can start your own consulting business. Start a blog on your topic. Just something that makes you look like a self-starter who is staying active in your field.

Good luck to you!

From a retired academic, W.

Last edited:

Kite

If you read the chart from the whole sign perspective then you have Mars ruling your 10th house (traditional rulerships) - in its detriment and in the 3rd (cadent) house, poorly aspected. The Midheaven (MC) is also in its detriment in Virgo in the 8th house. I have the same placements but have done okay with them by working in the computer industry (marketing).

Mars is being hit with Uranus which could be causing your chaotic career situation but this should pass. Transiting Saturn is going thru your 12th house (its Joy) but it's hitting your natal Neptune/Uranus conjunction along with Pluto. These would appear to me to be Dark Night of the Soul aspects which will pass when Saturn moves into Aquarius this coming year and begins your Saturn Return process.

What is your PhD in? With Venus ruling 9 conjunct Sun in 5 it would seem to me that you are in love with higher education. Perhaps teaching would be a good profession for you.

What is your PhD in? With Venus ruling 9 conjunct Sun in 5 it would seem to me that you are in love with higher education. Perhaps teaching would be a good profession for you.

I have a PhD in a STEM area. I don’t know why my chart implies I love higher education, because I absolutely hated my time in academia. Teaching is another area which I would be miserable in even if I somehow got a job in this area.

If you are in a field (like a STEM subject) where employment prospects are better, please ask a trusted senior person in your field (like your former supervisor) to review your c.v. I'm not saying yours is problematic, but sometimes c.v.s do not help the person put his/her best foot forward. They may inflate weak credentials, ignore solid achievements, or simply be poorly written and difficult to read.

Ditto with your cover letter. Have you done your homework on the employer, so that you can explain how you would support their objectives? Then consider your references. Are these people truly supportive of you?

If you make it to an interview stage, before the interview see if a good friend (or even a relative) will do a mock interview with you. Record yourself. If you appear nervous or too intense, for example, you should be able to pick up on this and then follow through with work on a more polished presentation.

Then start something-- anything-- that builds on your credentials to minimize the time gap between your Ph. D. and today. Publish articles out of your dissertation. Start a tutoring service. If you're in an applied field, perhaps you can start your own consulting business. Start a blog on your topic. Just something that makes you look like a self-starter who is staying active in your field.

Good luck to you!

From a retired academic, W.

Thanks for the advice. I have a PhD in a Quantitative STEM area so have programming exp, but still finding serious difficulty finding jobs. I guess initially I was unprepared, but even after preparation I was not getting through which makes me wonder if I am just unlucky.

Unfortunately due to certain issues there is some discord between my senior supervisors hence they have shown no interest nor provided any assistance in my job search. Same goes to my papers from my thesis which they are delaying to publish (has been more than 12 months and they haven’t even gotten back regarding feedback).

I guess this discord explains my current predicament a bit but it shouldn’t as a whole because I have been applying for jobs outside of academia unrelated to my specialization....

I’m not sure what I can tutor because I was planning to leave my period in academia behind me. I wasn’t exactly brilliant academically and as someone aptly put it here in this thread, I have just “gone with the flow” regards to my education. It wasn’t a conscious decision, but now I have some idea of what I want to do but still facing serious trouble getting even entry level internships in it.

So glad kshantaram posted as these meditative recommendations I personally have found really helpful!

From a western perspective - you've got a kind of astrological mandate not to ever give up hope on career. Your NN is early Capricorn 11th house, Saturn on Asc. You better work it :) It sounds by your own admission like you have been going with the flow as far as education will take you (SN Cancer, Moon in Sagittarius) and have been approaching the career search as an extension of that flow. Have you done, though, any serious career planning or visioning? Thought about what YOU would want to do and find meaningful over the long term, not just what already-existing-peg you might be able to fit yourself into? Capricorn season is a good time to create a vision board.

I did some serious planning about careers after my PhD. But after facing rejection after rejection has made me doubt my own abilities. I’ve contemplated changing my career goals entirely from scratch into something different from my current goals, but that would still take 3-6 months of preparation to even get through employers convincingly...

freeadia

Hi Endoftheline,
Rejection is quite common in a higly dynamic work market, you can view it as a test of perseverance and self-motivation.
Your PhD says you should look for jobs in statistics and data analysis.
Saturn on Asc recommends you for working under pressure and with keen attention to details. It seems to me that best suited for you is working within a public institution. Look for data analysers jobs in institutions. In project-based research studies in medicine trials, in economy, market studies, there is always need for outstanding statistical analyses.
It is very important to actualize from time to time your knowledge, participate to open public interdisciplinary conferences, speak with people, have recommendation prepared from your PhD supervisor.
Moon in 10th is working with people. In Sagittarius involve either travelling, or working for international company, but it may also be academical. Look for risk-assesment jobs to assist with statistics.
Meantime, you can do a database about sites that offer divers statistical instruments. You may do a summary review for each and share with your virtual social connections. You will feel active and motivated to use your knowledge.
Asc on Saturn suggest some natural aloofness and innate authority. You might think about presenting yourself as a reliable colleague. And if you show some enthusiasm, people will have a difficult time to say no.
There is a subversive poblem you didn’t mention. Maybe the most important thing about a job is not to be necessary on your field and giving you status, but to something that you really like to do. Something that you can immerse in and give you satisfaction by itself.
Saturn in mutual reception with Uranus is constructive. You have a background that allow inspiration. Small steps and big steps aim for the same purpose, you have to believe in your path. Neptune joining Uranus in Capricorn points to ups and downs of the capricornian energy for you due to either self-delusion or from unsupportive figures social environment, or from unrealistic judgement when you expect sudden improvment without doing nothing for it.
The sextile between Saturn on Ascendant and Moon in 10th house promise good chances for reward in your career, but as Moon is changeable, is suggests that the growth is gradually and with some emotional consumption.
You should do serious research about the pallette of jobs that are suited for you, actively imaginining yourself in that position.

Last edited:

Harmelia

Hello!
I would like to comment, but I prefer to pull people's charts up on my computer to look at other astrological data, such as secondary progressions and other influences. I will need your birth date, birth time and birth city. If you don't want to share it on the forum, please message me that info and I will keep it private. Thank you for posting. We all have challenges in life . . . and sometimes need help in moving forward.

Harmelia

ANUP

Re: Have a PhD but without a full time job for 20 months. Will it get better?

Give proper birth details. This might help accuracy.

Kite

I have a PhD in a STEM area. I don’t know why my chart implies I love higher education, because I absolutely hated my time in academia. Teaching is another area which I would be miserable in even if I somehow got a job in this area.

Yes - you're right - I missed that Venus is combust with the Sun, causing the agitation with the academic experience (Venus ruling the 9th house) and the feeling of getting burned.

Here's a link to some info on Combust that might shed some light - though it is talking in the context of relationships (Sun rules your 7th house of intimate relationships as well).

waybread

Thanks for the feedback. Hmmm-- you "managed" to get a Ph. D. You hated your period in academia. Not "brilliant academically." Supervisor troubles. You don't want to teach. Waiting on employers vs. building something from within yourself.....

Do you actually love your area of research specialization?

Is the universe trying to tell you something?

What gives you joy in life? If you got up every morning and got to do a job that made you happy, what would it look like?

kshantaram

Premium Member
any specific reflections on traits-talents-health-life trends-ideas to pick-remedies etc

Asc lord sat own acq 12th for foreign lands,
technical aptitudes, innovation; budgetory reforms;

Mer-ketu separative SNode cancer 5th, hyper-sensitive,
detachment from luck-edu-romance-children-posiiton;
pain-injury-surgery heart-stomach-lungs etc;
may be aptitude for printing;

Rahu NNode cap 11th, gains from foreigners;
wear brown hessonite over pendant touching heart;

Mer-rahu opp, rise-fall in file, toxic skin issues,
prayers for ancestors, observe fast No-moon evenings;
observe death anniversaries religiously;

ketu now transit cap 11th over rahu, life-style reversal;
detachment from income-gains-friendships;
pain-injury-surgery arms-shoulders-ears-knees etc;
prayers to Mother Goddess,
offer red flowes at alter at home Mon evenings;

ketu sooner moves to natal moon sag 10th for 1.5yr,,
career-job changes; pain-injury-surgery;

moon lord 6th over sag 10th, extra efforts towards career;
optimnist, philosophic, ambitious-impulsive, govt roles, popular;
sun-moon opp, diffused thinking;

earlier sat transit moon sag for 2.5yrs opp sun-venus gemini 4th,
career-health-home-relationship and parental relationships
under high stress; rise-fall in career;e

sun-venus gemini, business-financial analyst,
artistic aptitudes, confused decision making.
good at information processing-graphics and electricals n electronics;
venus combust, may need zinc supplements for health;
wear 0.25 carat diamond over platinum pendant touching heart;

rahu now transit mer-ketu cancer 5th,
clouding things; foreign assignments perhaps;

sat now 2.5yr transit cap 11th, 2nd from moon,
technology gains , gains from old people/old friends under stress;
mer-sat opp luck-edu-romance-children-professional posiiton under stress;
sat now moving to 12th house for foreign lands;
natal sat acq 12th for foreign lands;

jup lord 10th for career now transit debilated in cap 11th for gains,
elevated aspect over mer-ketu cancer 4th for luck-edu-position,