IC in Synastry?

theoddone

I was wondering as to how the IC works in synastry. Are the connections of personal planets touching the IC romantic or platonic? When I did my own research on it, the descriptions weren't very clear and it was either romantic connections or platonic connections with the occasional idea that planets on the IC indicated a soul mate connection.

I'm honestly disappointed that the IC isn't talked about much in synastry and it seems often ignored in favor of the MC.

katydid

I was wondering as to how the IC works in synastry. Are the connections of personal planets touching the IC romantic or platonic? When I did my own research on it, the descriptions weren't very clear and it was either romantic connections or platonic connections with the occasional idea that planets on the IC indicated a soul mate connection.

I'm honestly disappointed that the IC isn't talked about much in synastry and it seems often ignored in favor of the MC.

I totally agree with you. It should be discussed more in synastry.

I have found the conjunctions to the IC to show a very deep, powerfully emotional connection. It can be a maternal/paternal kind of connection.
[My son's Asc. is exactly conjunct my IC]

But it can also be a very karmic, soul mate kind of romantic connection.

My brother has been happily married for 40 years. He is a Taurus and she is a Gemini.
But he has 2degrees Cancer on the IC and she has the Moon at 2 Cancer. They are so emotionally close and tight. They are together constantly. Raised 2 beautiful babies, have a grandson. And they love every minute of it. :love:

The IC is the lowest part of the chart. It is the memories we repress from childhood, and those we hold dear. It is what we feel when we are homesick and forlorn and what we crave to help us feel supported and whole. It is what we are ashamed of and what we are most proud of.

Letting anyone in to those cramped, dark recesses is a leap of faith.

If someone has their Moon, Jupiter or Venus or Neptune on our IC, we may welcome that connection and feel safe with them. Maybe even the Mercury if it is well placed/aspected. :love:

But if someone has their Sun on our IC, they are shining a light on our deeply held secrets/emotions. It may be uncomfortable unless they are helpful and positive. :innocent:

Mars or Saturn or Pluto may be a difficult conjunction, depending upon the 'health' of the aspects/placements. It could be a crippling or debilitating relationship if one is not careful. :devil:

theoddone

I totally agree with you. It should be discussed more in synastry.

I have found the conjunctions to the IC to show a very deep, powerfully emotional connection. It can be a maternal/paternal kind of connection.
[My son's Asc. is exactly conjunct my IC]

But it can also be a very karmic, soul mate kind of romantic connection.

My brother has been happily married for 40 years. He is a Taurus and she is a Gemini.
But he has 2degrees Cancer on the IC and she has the Moon at 2 Cancer. They are so emotionally close and tight. They are together constantly. Raised 2 beautiful babies, have a grandson. And they love every minute of it. :love:

The IC is the lowest part of the chart. It is the memories we repress from childhood, and those we hold dear. It is what we feel when we are homesick and forlorn and what we crave to help us feel supported and whole. It is what we are ashamed of and what we are most proud of.

Letting anyone in to those cramped, dark recesses is a leap of faith.

If someone has their Moon, Jupiter or Venus or Neptune on our IC, we may welcome that connection and feel safe with them. Maybe even the Mercury if it is well placed/aspected. :love:

But if someone has their Sun on our IC, they are shining a light on our deeply held secrets/emotions. It may be uncomfortable unless they are helpful and positive. :innocent:

Mars or Saturn or Pluto may be a difficult conjunction, depending upon the 'health' of the aspects/placements. It could be a crippling or debilitating relationship if one is not careful. :devil:

Thank you for your view on the IC. It seems like the connections can go in any direction.

In my case, if someone's personal planet touches my IC it will also be touching my NN as I have a natal IC/NN conjunction. That would be an interesting experience.

Brunhild

Hi!

Well, I couldn't agree more with you... And I face IC as something even more important in synastry than DES... There we find the foundations of our soul...

I experienced a very transformative affair a kind of story that changes one's life and makes you face the deepest wounds and ghosts to heal your soul... Both suns in the other's 12th house and... Guess what? His Pluto conjunct my IC.

I met someone who seems to be a kind of mirror of me, in many senses, and It's like we are from the same place, same nest. In spite of our different family structures the essence concerning to family is the same... I shouldn't have been surprised when discovered that our ICs are conjunct by Antiscia. And MY NAME ASTEROID is exactly conjunct his IC in his natal chart.

I think the effect goes both ways but is MUCH more felt by the IC-person.

I'd like to hear some stories about IC in synastry too.

wan

I experienced a very transformative affair a kind of story that changes one's life and makes you face the deepest wounds and ghosts to heal your soul... Both suns in the other's 12th house and... Guess what? His Pluto conjunct my IC.

But wouldn't this mean everyone born in the same time period will all have this kind of effect on you? Pluto is a generational planet.

Brunhild

But wouldn't this mean everyone born in the same time period will all have this kind of effect on you? Pluto is a generational planet.

That's interesting: no one else near his age provoked such effect, maybe because the other conjunctions were not so tight as his. But the synastry, in general, was impacting. At the same time, I had contacts with similar "heavy" aspects and overlays (such as sun or mars in the 12th) and nothing could be compared to this situation. In my opinion, Pluto added a kind of atomic shade to the story.

This is our synastry:
https://www.4shared.com/photo/ez9BS-OGei/Synastry_IsabellaDan.html

wan

That's interesting: no one else near his age provoked such effect, maybe because the other conjunctions were not so tight as his. But the synastry, in general, was impacting. At the same time, I had contacts with similar "heavy" aspects and overlays (such as sun or mars in the 12th) and nothing could be compared to this situation. In my opinion, Pluto added a kind of atomic shade to the story.

This is our synastry:
https://www.4shared.com/photo/ez9BS-OGei/Synastry_IsabellaDan.html

Hi Brun:

What you said certainly makes sense.

Also, I think another possible factor is that maybe Pluto is prominent in his chart. Maybe it's the ruler of an angle. This could explain why there was such strong attraction between you.

Brunhild

Hi Brun:

What you said certainly makes sense.

Also, I think another possible factor is that maybe Pluto is prominent in his chart. Maybe it's the ruler of an angle. This could explain why there was such strong attraction between you.

Hi, Wan. :)

Well, the strong thing was not the attraction but the interaction and, mainly, the results of such interaction. And his Pluto is relevant but not that strong, it's not angular or ruling
an angle. Curiously, mine is much stronger.

Last edited:

theoddone

Hi, Wan. :)

Well, the strong thing was not the attraction but the interaction and, mainly, the results of such interaction. And his Pluto is relevant but not that strong, it's not angular or ruling
an angle. Curiously, mine is much stronger.

Hi Brunhild,

In your synastry I see Moon conjunct the IC, Mars trine Venus, Venus conjunct Mercury, and Sun conjunct the AC. Those aspects possibly account for the attraction you feel regarding him.

Last edited:

Brunhild

Hi Brunhild,

In your synastry I see Moon conjunct the IC, Mars trine Venus, Venus conjunct Mercury, and Sun conjunct the AC. Those aspects possibly account for the attraction you feel regarding him.

Hi, theoddone :)

We had interesting points in our synastry and attraction was not an issue, this part was good in itself. The interaction full of misunderstandings, his lies and unconscious stuff popping up (12th overlays) and the deep transformative result (Pluto), specially for me, were the true colours of this story.
Good aspects are not enough, the houses where they are placed speaks volumes about the nature of them and now I see why such a beautiful meeting, full of synchronicity (vertex conjunct vertex), has not became a true love story. But I feel gratitude for everything.

sadge

The IC is important because it's an angular point. It is the deepest part of your soul, your family roots, your inner home. It's the only angle in the chart that is below the horizon.

Whether it plays a significant role in romantic relationships will depend on each individual chart, whether the IC ruler is a prominent player in the chart, and of course an individual's personal development.

For example, someone who has not actively developed his/her MC potential may be irresistibly attracted to someone whose personal planet (such as a "relationship" planet like Venus) hits his/her MC. That planet person embodies an energy that the MC person is needing to develop, but instead it is found through the planet person. This may or may not work out for the long-term, as it would depend on whether that dynamic works with the overall needs reflected in the natal chart. Is the cost of this relationship at the expense of important IC needs? That is answered by looking at each individual's natal.

I always look at the angle rulers, including the IC ruler. Look at how they aspect other planets and points in the chart to weigh its significance.

Personally, I've found IC connections to simply be a cozy feeling of comfort and acceptance on a level that doesn't need words or explanation. Interaspects to this point is often found in families and between parent and child (the IC/MC axis). For romantic relationships, I've found connections with the AC/DC axis to be much more significant and common. That makes sense if you think about what each axis represents.

Hope I helped.

Sadge.

Last edited:

sadge

No, because not everyone in someone's generation is knocking down that IC door. And the degrees keep moving, even within a generation.

When someone who is actually in your life makes an aspect with a "generational" planet, the effects are still personal. Ask anyone who has experienced an exact contact with someone between one's angle and Pluto, Uranus, or even a node.

S.

Brunhild

The IC is important because it's an angular point. It is the deepest part of your soul, your family roots, your inner home. It's the only angle in the chart that is below the horizon.

Whether it plays a significant role in romantic relationships will depend on each individual chart, whether the IC ruler is a prominent player in the chart, and of course an individual's personal development.

For example, someone who has not actively developed his/her MC potential may be irresistibly attracted to someone whose personal planet (such as a "relationship" planet like Venus) hits his/her MC. That planet person embodies an energy that the MC person is needing to develop, but instead it is found through the planet person. This may or may not work out for the long-term, as it would depend on whether that dynamic works with the overall needs reflected in the natal chart. Think of the man who settles with a trophy wife or a woman who marries for status/money. These are both generic examples, but just using them to illustrate my point. Is the cost of this relationship at the expense of important IC needs? That is answered by looking at each individual's natal.

I always look at the angle rulers, including the IC ruler. Look at how they aspect other planets and points in the chart to weigh its significance.

Personally, I've found IC connections to simply be a cozy feeling of comfort and acceptance on a level that doesn't need words or explanation. Interaspects to this point is often found in families and between parent and child (the IC/MC axis). For romantic relationships, I've found connections with the AC/DC axis to be much more significant and common. That makes sense if you think about what each axis represents.

Hope I helped.

Sadge.

Hi, Sadge. :)

Very good explanation.
According to your experience, as IC is the door of 4th house, do you think that people with cancer figuring prominently in natal chart would have a more "sensitive" IC, an even more relevant IC?

Talking about angle rulers... I have an old doubt: is a conjunction (or another aspect) between angle rulers felt just like angle-to-angle?

theoddone

For example, someone who has not actively developed his/her MC potential may be irresistibly attracted to someone whose personal planet (such as a "relationship" planet like Venus) hits his/her MC. That planet person embodies an energy that the MC person is needing to develop, but instead it is found through the planet person. This may or may not work out for the long-term, as it would depend on whether that dynamic works with the overall needs reflected in the natal chart. Think of the man who settles with a trophy wife or a woman who marries for status/money. These are both generic examples, but just using them to illustrate my point. Is the cost of this relationship at the expense of important IC needs? That is answered by looking at each individual's natal.

Hope I helped.

Sadge.

Thank you, Sadge.

Are connections to the angles in general considered soul mate connections, especially if personal planets touch them?

In regards to IC connections occurring between families, I have an Aquarius IC and no one in my family has Aquarius planets that touch it. However, I have friends who have Aqua planets touching my IC and also my NN (it's conjunct the IC). No idea how that happened. *Shrug*

Last edited:

sadge

Very good explanation.
According to your experience, as IC is the door of 4th house, do you think that people with cancer figuring prominently in natal chart would have a more "sensitive" IC, an even more relevant IC?

Talking about angle rulers... I have an old doubt: is a conjunction (or another aspect) between angle rulers felt just like angle-to-angle?

You would need to be more specific about what you mean when cancer figures prominently in a chart. We all have a "cancer" somewhere in our charts, along with a moon (which is really prominent for everyone, if you think about it).

The IC for each chart will have it's own ruler.

Here's an example that might explain: I know someone with his IC in Cancer. The ruler, moon, is in exact conjunction with his AC (less than 1 deg, in 1H). Now THAT is an example of how the IC becomes important for this particular person in interrelationships. The AC, Sun, and moon are very powerful points in synastry -- and that's an example of how the IC is brought into that mix. But on the other hand, maybe someone has Leo on the IC and the sun is in 9H....or 12H. That would speak to a different need altogether within that person's relationship signature found in his chart.

sadge

Thank you, Sadge.

Are connections to the angles in general considered soul mate connections, especially if personal planets touch them?

In regards to IC connections occurring between families, I have an Aquarius IC and no one in my family has Aquarius planets that touch it. However, I have friends who have Aqua planets touching my IC and also my NN (it's conjunct the IC). No idea how that happened. *Shrug*

Hello odd one,
Love that screen pic. You must explain more.

Re your question about soul mate connections.... You know, I honestly am mixed on what to think of that concept. I don't disbelieve it, but I don't know if I fully believe it too. And here's why: the concept of "soul mates" is so overused that I think it's too generalized. And often, people flip out about aspects with others that are really not that uncommon, but there are so many blogs out there that purport some aspects to be soul mate connections that lovestruck hearts go off the deep end in thinking their latest crush is The One. But eventually we learn, through repeated experiences, that there is never just ONE, and what attracts us to someone at any given point in life is really a reflection of something you need or want from within your own chart.

Now that said, you also learn that some interaspects do feel REALLY good, and some make an intimate relationship much easier to fulfill. That's where is gets unique for each individual chart. Someone who does not have a strong Aquarius or uranian relationship signature in his/her natal may not feel all that excited about being hit (even harmoniously) by another's Uranus on his/her asc. But for someone else, it may feel incredible.

I can also say that as someone who doesn't fully subscribe to the idea of "soul mates" (but also doesn't reject the idea), I have experienced those interaspects and extremely special relationships that brings your soul to its knees by the power of the love and recognition....it's like a soul recognition with one another, and you are a version of the same energy, and you just get one another. You are better together than apart. And the love is very special, comforting, and there's def a feeling of having been here before. It all sounds Neptunian, but it's not. When a match is extraordinary on many levels, and the orbs are TIGHT, then it's difficult for even the most stubborn realist to deny the possibility of "soul mates."

But instead of subscribing to "soul mates," I just kind of take it for what it is.....all these nice interaspects between two people, something that you drew into your life to get you to the next level.

But you have to be strick on the aspects and orbs. Some people start freaking out about common stuff, and then throw in 100 asteroids too. No no no....start with the basics. Inner planets, angles, nodes, and how rulers interact with one another.

Steven Forrest, a big player in evolutionary astrology, says good relationships need contacts to the top three: sun, moon, and asc. Always see how these are being aspected.

The angles are important, but angle to angle is more reflective of similar paths, not an energy exchange. But when the ruler of an important angle (like anyone's dc or ac ruler) touches the asc of another, it is very personal.....and when the right planets (one that's welcomed from your natal chart) touch you right on that personal spot, it feels really good. But is this enough to call it a soul mate connection? I don't think so. It can get even better.

Re your family, look at your IC and MC (but also the 4/10 axis and planets in these houses).....usually one is reflective of mom and the other dad (or one parent for each). It could be that one of your parents had a planet in Aquarius or a strong uranian temperament. Or maybe his/her nodes hit you on that axis. You'll find something. If you have kids, you will most likely see something in you reflected in the 4/10 axis too.

The fact that many of your dear friends are Aquarius tells me that you are actively developing toward your NN calling -- good job! Way to go!

Hope I helped.

Sadge

Last edited:

theoddone

Hello odd one,
Love that screen pic. You must explain more.

Thank you. It's Duff McKagan from Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver. He's dressed as a princess for Halloween. I just thought it was a great picture of him. And if I'm going to be honest, he's actually the reason for my thread as his 16 degrees Aqua sun hits my IC, which is at 16 degrees. I've never seen that aspect before in synastry for myself, which is why I was curious about it. His Sun also conjuncts my NN by one degree while my Sun conjuncts his SN by two degrees. I'm probably dwelling on this too much but it's still interesting to look at.

Re your family, look at your IC and MC (but also the 4/10 axis and planets in these houses).....usually one is reflective of mom and the other dad (or one parent for each). It could be that one of your parents had a planet in Aquarius or a strong uranian temperament. Or maybe his/her nodes hit you on that axis. You'll find something. If you have kids, you will most likely see something in you reflected in the 4/10 axis too.

The fact that many of your dear friends are Aquarius tells me that you are actively developing toward your NN calling -- good job! Way to go!

My father would represent the IC in my case. He's quirky and insane but in a good way and knows how to build computers, which is all Uranus. His NN sits on my DC while his SN is on my AC. I have no synastry aspects with my mother and my father has no Aqua planets at all. We also share Jupiter in Cancer but they are not conjunct. In regards to my friends, one of them is an old hippie whose Sun also conjuncts (by three degrees) my IC and he's one of my favorite people in the world. One friend has his Aqua Moon conjunct my IC (and NN) and another friend has Saturn on my IC/NN.

sadge

Thank you. It's Duff McKagan from Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver. He's dressed as a princess for Halloween. I just thought it was a great picture of him. And if I'm going to be honest, he's actually the reason for my thread as his 16 degrees Aqua sun hits my IC, which is at 16 degrees. I've never seen that aspect before in synastry for myself, which is why I was curious about it. His Sun also conjuncts my NN by one degree while my Sun conjuncts his SN by two degrees. I'm probably dwelling on this too much but it's still interesting to look at.

Nodal connections are very common between the people and things we attract or are attracted to in life. You can find such connects between authors (say you love a piece of work) and public figures too. A famous one are the nodal connections between Clinton and Kennedy.... there's a ton out there on this. So yes, mckagan's solar energy does represent something very important to where you are headed in life. And because it's on your IC, along with your node, I'd say you need it like plants need food and water. It's essential to your core being.

sadge

Very good explanation.

Brunhild, sorry I forgot your angle question in my previous response. I addressed it in my response to theoddone accidentally. -- sadge

theoddone

Nodal connections are very common between the people and things we attract or are attracted to in life. You can find such connects between authors (say you love a piece of work) and public figures too. A famous one are the nodal connections between Clinton and Kennedy.... there's a ton out there on this. So yes, mckagan's solar energy does represent something very important to where you are headed in life. And because it's on your IC, along with your node, I'd say you need it like plants need food and water. It's essential to your core being.

I have a tendency to crush on blond punks and bass players. It doesn't help that he's both. Lol.

It's the same with Duff's bandmate, Axl Rose. Most of Axl's personal planets are conjunct my IC/NN. He happened to be born during that Aquarius stellium during the sixties. I also have a NN/SN conjunction double whammy with Mr. Rose as well. With him, it's a repulsion/fascination. How would the particular energy of both Mr. McKagan and Mr. Rose be essential to my core being? Also if you find links that explain it, I would love to read it.