Thoughts on mercury oppositions mean delusional?

or1000

Mercury Opposition Neptune
Mercury Opposition Uranus
Mercury Square Moon
Mercury Square Saturn

Seems that according to astrology, mercury oppositions show up as somebody who can't really see between reality and illusion and generally egotistical. Almost like 2 sides of the brain are in conflict?

Last edited:

miquar

Hi. I'm assuming this Mercury is in Cancer then, since the Uranus Neptune conjunction happened in Capricorn? If this is a reasonably tight grand cross or t square (not sure if the Moon and Saturn are near to one another or on opposite sides of the chart), then it wouldn't be surprising if your mind is not as settled as you would like at times. It would help people to comment if you could put your chart up, and if you could say more about feeling like two people, because other significators are likely to be relevant.

Best wishes

Miquar

Frisiangal

mercury oppositions show up as somebody who can't really see between reality and illusion and generally egotistical

You use the word 'egotistical';, significant of Leo.
There was a period when Uranus and Neptune were out of orb in Aquarius, yet each would have been squared by Mercury in Leo. Saturn was in Taurus and Moon woud have transited one of the fixed signs.
Are these the aspects which you are querying?

There would be a difference of expression between the planets if they were in the FiXED as opposed to the CARDINAL signs of the Uranus and Neptune in Capricorn period. The latter 'erased' physical boundaries and a Mercury in Cancer would be inclined towards imagination rather than the illusion of Neptune. A Mercury in Leo would be more personally outspoken that could evoke literal opposition from those more active within a group setting.....unless such a Mercury were spokesman for it. :smile:

katydid

Ok, maybe I am delusional, but I was just looking at your attached chart, and then refreshed the page to reply, and POOF, the chart is gone? :unsure:

Maybe you removed it?

Was it the wrong chart? I don't want to comment if it was incorrect chart...

I will just say then, if it was correct, then you do have the opposition from Mercury to Uranus/Neptune , exact by midpoint.

So it is
Mercury=Uranus/Neptune:

A peculiar imagination, preoccupation with supernatural problems and metaphysical mysteries

the investigation or exploration of the unconscious, and the cosmos

A longing for far distant places, plans without the possibility of realization

wishes for long journeys and adventures with no ability to make it happen?

I would not say 'delusional' nor egotistic. But I do wonder if you may jump to conclusions too quickly?

You might get very quick hunches or gut feelings and base your conclusions upon these flashes of insight. They may not be 100% accurate?

However when they are accurate, they might be very detailed and very specific, and it would allow you to trust your intuition in other situations because of those correct hits.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Mercury Square Moon
Mercury Square Saturn

Seems that according to astrology, mercury oppositions show up as
somebody who can't really see between reality and illusion
and generally egotistical.
Almost like 2 sides of the brain are in conflict?
a few celebrity charts for your reference include:
Barack Obama, Pablo Picasso, Harry Houdini, Herman Hesse, Bob Geldof
the list goes on
all have Mercury opposing Jupiter :smile:

JUPITERASC

Cristiano Ronaldo
Robert de Niro
Liv Tyler
Robert Plant
Linda Goodman
Priscilla Presley
Tori Spelling
Elisha Cuthbert
Austin Mahone
and the list goes on
of celebrities with Mercury opposing Moon
:smile:

JUPITERASC

It is important to consider the whole chart :smile:
because
to focus on one aspect to the exclusion of all else
leads unreliable delineation

yuriv

Mercury Square Moon
Mercury Square Saturn

Seems that according to astrology, mercury oppositions show up as somebody who can't really see between reality and illusion and generally egotistical. Almost like 2 sides of the brain are in conflict?
i get your point especially where you mention the tendency to merge reality and illusion. In my case I had say i do have a ready explanation whenever this tendency is questioned -i say ‘anything is possible, everything one imagines is possible one way or the other, maybe not in this world or this time'
This is an issue on itself when considering day to day praticalities.
I find it quite useful however in my writings where it represents a fuel that spurs me on and on.

Mercury Square SSaturn
- Square MMoon
- Square CChiron
- Square MMars
Mercury Opposite JJupiter
Mercury ContraP NNeptune
Mercury Sesq/ContraP UUranus
Mercury Square VVertex

My degree symbol for Mercury is Taurus 20 -
WISPS OF WING-LIKE CLOUDS STREAMING ACROSS THE SKY.

- Connecting the symbol to my ambling on the mercurial effect on reality and illusion i see somewhat that it takes a bit of imagination to look at wisps of clouds - which are not big clouds by the way (reality) and see them as having wings as they move around the sky (illusion?).

My own take is having mercurial placements that are influential is a neasure of the tendency of the native to see mundane reality in a different sort of manner - or perceive.

Also I agree with the two sides of the brain being in conflict.

GemwDepth

Account Closed

Know someone with the opposition. And also one with the square, while Mercury also conjuncts Saturn and Neptune.

The description "egotistical" applies. Yet what's really happening with Uranus is that they have this uncontrollable urge to "express" themselves and force out whatever they are thinking, regardless of timing, feelings or appropriateness.

However communication is always, always a two way street, its never a one way street. Timing and word choice are critical. Communication is about understanding, being receptive to the other party, then very carefully choosing words that's only relevant to the situation at hand. Words and timing can both hurt and harm. Their urge is also different than the Sagittarius foot-in-the-mouth disease, which is motivated by truth. Their's is more inherently selfish in nature and only motivated by free and personal expression, regardless of consequences.

Hence they can come off across as "egotistical", "offensive", "difficult" and unlikeable. They tend to have problems not understanding why people react negatively to them.

I've noticed in real life, it's definitely a handicap. As communication skills are essential for many areas of life to go smoothly.

Another problem they face is that their communication is not linear or step-by-step. It comes out scattered and seem to make little practical sense.

Yet they are actually very intelligent in comprehension. If you throw them a curveball on abstract ideas that others will dismiss, they are usually the first ones to "get it". Its just that their thought process isn't linear.

Mercury Square Saturn

I have this one and I've studied others that have it. Its kind of interesting as this trait is almost the anti-thesis of Mercury Oppose or Square Uranus.

This position needs structure (and just by itself and not influenced by other aspects), it needs linear, step-by-step, structure to learn new subjects.

However most things in life will never be linear. In school, you are thrown all types of subject matters with different teachers who teach in different styles. It will never be in the step-by-step process or with enough time to digest that Mercury Saturn needs.

So Mercury-Saturn has an opposite type of struggle in that it can come off as dumb and slow during youth. And then narrow minded in adulthood. I suppose the narrow-mindedness may seem "egotistical" as they can reject and block anything that doesn't go through their linear filter system.

Yet what's really happening underneath all this is that need for structure and a linear process again. Once the natives learn that they have their own mental footprint (their own brain stamp) to learn things, and then translate any subject matter into their personal, step-by-step process in a linear fashion, they can pretty much master and grasp anything.

In fact, they actually end up being the very best teachers because they've had to process the complex into a simple, digestible process for they themselves to understand it. So that any course or things they teach, ends up being the most effective. Eventually they realize if they work with their traits and use it right, they have an ability to translate the complex into something simple, which is actually a talent.

But getting to that point of realization is the challenge. And synonymous with the interpretation of the square, it is a difficult route. Once they get there though, they realize not only are they not dumb or slow, they are actually very intelligent, and also own a certain amount of mental depth that others lack. All it really was-was that-they simply didn't know how to tinker with their natural brain stamp. Its like a process of self-discovery and no one gives you the map, so you trip many, many times before you figure it out.

So both positions have different challenges caused by different underlying mechanisms. The afflictions do not impact their intelligence per se, but they just have certain challenges to work though.

Can't comment on the moon-mercury or neptune-mercury, as I lack real life examples to understand the underlying mechanism of how they works.

Last edited:

Lykanized

Know someone with the opposition. And also one with the square, while Mercury also conjuncts Saturn and Neptune.

The description "egotistical" applies. Yet what's really happening with Uranus is that they have this uncontrollable urge to "express" themselves and force out whatever they are thinking, regardless of timing, feelings or appropriateness.

However communication is always, always a two way street, its never a one way street. Timing and word choice are critical. Communication is about understanding, being receptive to the other party, then very carefully choosing words that's only relevant to the situation at hand. Words and timing can both hurt and harm. Their urge is also different than the Sagittarius foot-in-the-mouth disease, which is motivated by truth. Their's is more inherently selfish in nature and only motivated by free and personal expression, regardless of consequences.

Hence they can come off across as "egotistical", "offensive", "difficult" and unlikeable. They tend to have problems not understanding why people react negatively to them.

I've noticed in real life, it's definitely a handicap. As communication skills are essential for many areas of life to go smoothly.

Another problem they face is that their communication is not linear or step-by-step. It comes out scattered and seem to make little practical sense.

Yet they are actually very intelligent in comprehension. If you throw them a curveball on abstract ideas that others will dismiss, they are usually the first ones to "get it". Its just that their thought process isn't linear.
This all makes sense...
Personally, with the tight opposition to Uranus/Neptune in addition to a sextile to Mars and then a Plutonian influence(all these infuences are very tight for me) with need for depth and added desire to overturn convention in different ways....I feel like a part of me is a bit out of touch with others sometimes

I try genuinely to communicate with others and be receptive to their ideas as well as being able to express mine, but I may get feedback that my thoughts are very hard for them to understand. There are many intuitive jumps made, but the odd thing is that I think there's a bit of a dysjunct in communication. No matter how genuinely I want to communicate with others, it's almost like I don't fully understand how to align my thoughts in a way that will be understandable to others

There's an impulsivity, obsessiveness, thoughts may be communicated in a scattered fashion because that's genuinely how they are for me in my mind. I feel like being born when Neptune and Uranus were at a super close conjunction and having them both oppose my Mercury at 1 degree, my thoughts are very highly abstract and will make many many jumps and for me, they all make sense at once. Disorder and chaos somehow make sense. It's hard for me to figure out how to communicate to others effectively and quite honestly, it also makes me feel alienated as I feel like the way I think is just so out of touch with others

I'll admit, there is a desire to push boundaries, and sometimes it may be just for the sake of pushing boundaries, but I try not to be that way. I have a genuine search for truth and desire to help others by pushing the boundaries I do. At the same time, there is still that dysjunct so I may not always know what's appropriate

Somna7H

Banned
Is Aspetcs from Astroids counted in Modern Astrology ?
Only have Mercury Opposite SN and BML.
But, Mercury Square to Saturn and Eros.
Saturn blocking my thinking pattern.
I'm don't have good intelligence to live in reality.

greybeard

All human beings, at least those of my acquaintance, live their lives within a self-created and self-maintained world of delusion. Some more, some less, but all of us create images of ourselves and the world around us that do not fully correspond to reality.

Mercury oppositions do cause mental conflicts and "conditions" whose nature can be determined by careful delineation of the participating planets.

Last edited:

Lykanized

All human beings, at least those of my acquaintance, live their lives within a self-created world of delusion. Some more, some less, but all of us create images of ourselves and the world around us that do not fully correspond to reality.

Mercury oppositions do cause mental conflicts and "conditions" whose nature can be determined by careful delineation of the participating planets.

I agree with you wholly on the first part and it's an insight that really helped me accept the we way I think when for the first years of my life, my confidence in my thoughts was thin. A realization that all is subjective so who can say the true nature of reality?

What do you think could be possible effects of Uranus and Neptune opposite Mercury, just as a brief description?

greybeard

I agree with you wholly on the first part and it's an insight that really helped me accept the we way I think when for the first years of my life, my confidence in my thoughts was thin. A realization that all is subjective so who can say the true nature of reality?

What do you think could be possible effects of Uranus and Neptune opposite Mercury, just as a brief description?

Hitler had Mercury opp Uranus right across his horizon, Uranus rising in Libra. Mercury was in Aries just below the horizon. Mars was severely damaged and tightly in the clutches of a supremely and excessively powerful Venus. Venus was the true ruler of Mercury in Hitler's chart; Mars was the abject errand boy.

Uranus is autocratic, and opposing Mercury, the conscious rational mind, may tend to think he is a genius, is always right or even omnipotent and slip off into megalomania as was the case with Hitler.

In general and in brief, Mercury-Uranus contacts lean toward radical or rebellious thinking...wanting to overthrow the established order in whatever the realm of thought. Uranus is upset, disorder, insistence on absolute liberty, ...read the book. Ditto Neptune.

Last edited:

Lykanized

Hitler had Mercury opp Uranus right across his horizon, Uranus rising in Libra. Mercury was in Aries just below the horizon. Mars was severely damaged and tightly in the clutches of a supremely and excessively powerful Venus. Venus was the true ruler of Mercury in Hitler's chart; Mars was the abject errand boy.

Uranus is autocratic, and opposing Mercury, the conscious rational mind, may tend to think he is a genius, is always right or even omnipotent and slip off into megalomania as was the case with Hitler.

In general and in brief, Mercury-Uranus contacts lean toward radical or rebellious thinking...wanting to overthrow the established order in whatever the realm of thought. Uranus is upset, disorder, insistence on absolute liberty, ...read the book. Ditto Neptune.
That's grim
Thank you