Elon Musk says he will have chip implants in our brain to listen to music!

waybread

Capitalism drives inventions. Waybread, wouldn’t you want to post on AW and have a super processor in your brain to instantaneously save and create charts and know all planetary placements based on any particular moment if you just think about it? :)

Absolutely not.

No technology is flawless. You cannot imagine what would happen if this one goofs up. You cannot imagine what would happen if it gets hacked by trolls-- who will also be out there. You cannot imagine the long-term impact on your brain's health.

Elson Musk does not care about your neurological health. He cares about making money.

Think about it-- while your brain is still not microchipped.

Bunraku

Absolutely not.

No technology is flawless. You cannot imagine what would happen if this one goofs up. You cannot imagine what would happen if it gets hacked by trolls-- who will also be out there. You cannot imagine the long-term impact on your brain's health.

Elson Musk does not care about your neurological health. He cares about making money.

Think about it-- while your brain is still not microchipped.

Waybread, what generation were you born in?

A lot of jobs these days require you to have social media in order to give you competitive edge.

The first thing they ask you to do is fill out forms with your personal information, and they sell the information I bet, because anytime me and my friends apply for something we always get random bot calls from various countries afterwards.

Privacy isn’t sacred, it’s sold.

waybread

I understand the problems with privacy in today's connected world. Not to mention cities with surveillance cameras on every street corner and in every retail store.

That doesn't mean that I have to succumb to anti-privacy forces against my principles.

When I was on Facebook (and just briefly and mistakenly on LinkedIn) I chose the maximum privacy settings.

If you read the fine print on a site, it will tell you what they do with your data. Sometimes you can click/unclick boxes within the fine print to improve your privacy on that site.

I have two ad blockers on my laptop. When I look up a news source it will often deny me entry unless I shut them off. I won't do it. I don't click on boxes that ask me to agree to accept cookies although I imagine the sites use them anyway.

It's not such an age thing, Bunraku. A lot of grannies and great-grandpas are on Facebook to stay in touch with families and friends.

But look. It's a long, long way from someone being on social media to connect with friends via a hand-held or wearable electronic device, vs. consenting to have a permanent microchip in your skull.

How would this even be implanted? In your doctor's office? What safeguards would there be? What would be likely malfunctions of the technology? Speaking of ads, would this microchip bombard your brain with ads along with your favorite tunes? What happens when you're trying to sleep?

Another logical fallacy is called the Slippery Slope argument. It goes, "If you believe A then you must believe (B, C, D.....) N." Generally it's a non sequitur in which N does not logically follow from A.

Maybe there's a microchip to boost logical thinking.

Bunraku

Exactly way bread. Why should people have to live with logical fallacies and such thoughts, when a brain chip can help alleviate it due to its highly capable processing abilities? :)

Also I think it’s definitely an age thing. You’re one in a million, you do know that right?

Many older generations fall for scams due to the lack of online literacy that the younger generations have because didn't grow up with it. You’ll find many, many stories of older people being scammed from their retirement because of a nice guy who is actually a scammer from africa or india using a fake profile. And this is surprisingly common and a good business for scammers, otherwise there wouldn’t be millions of them trying to make a living off of it.

As for checking a few boxes on a website or devices, I don’t think they actually follow through it. There are still many loopholes and ways to gather your information, even your ISP does it. These privacy agreements are very barebones, and the bare minimum.

Also do you not see the equivalents of being on phones (Android phones are basically information sucking devices that send your info to the Chinese govt regardless of privacy agreements) as being just external chips that’s always on you?

david starling

Technology is anti-evolutionary, when it comes to developing our own, natural, mental abilities. The young are generally somewhat more naturally evolved than most of their elders, but many of them are being seduced by the latest technology, which is diverting them from the evolutionary path.

Some of the elders are in tune with the evolutionary curve, more so than the rest of their generation, as has always been the case.

Last edited:

Bunraku

Technology is anti-evolutionary, when it comes to developing our own, natural, mental abilities. The young are generally somewhat more naturally evolved than most of their elders, but many of them are being seduced by the latest technology, which is diverting them from the evolutionary path.

Some of the elders are in tune with the evolutionary curve, more so than the rest of their generation, as has always been the case.

I doubt it.
Many teachers back in the day protested incorporating the use of calculators in classrooms simply because of the reasoning “this is the way we’ve always done it, and we are adults they should respect the elders.”

Obviously it was ignored, and now it’s very clear that having calculators allows students to stop focusing on boring arithmetic and focus on higher level concepts.

Technologies help.

Bunraku

Like President Trump. His path was upwards and and became the most powerful person in the world. He is very high in the evolutionary scale.

waybread

Exactly way bread. Why should people have to live with logical fallacies and such thoughts, when a brain chip can help alleviate it due to its highly capable processing abilities? :)

Also I think it’s definitely an age thing. You’re one in a million, you do know that right?

Many older generations fall for scams due to the lack of online literacy that the younger generations have because didn't grow up with it. You’ll find many, many stories of older people being scammed from their retirement because of a nice guy who is actually a scammer from africa or india using a fake profile. And this is surprisingly common and a good business for scammers, otherwise there wouldn’t be millions of them trying to make a living off of it.

As for checking a few boxes on a website or devices, I don’t think they actually follow through it. There are still many loopholes and ways to gather your information, even your ISP does it. These privacy agreements are very barebones, and the bare minimum.

Also do you not see the equivalents of being on phones (Android phones are basically information sucking devices that send your info to the Chinese govt regardless of privacy agreements) as being just external chips that’s always on you?

Bunraku, if you want a microchip in your brain, I can't stop you. I recommend the "logical thinking" microchip.

Because now you're into "two wrongs make a right" territory. People give up X amount of their privacy to get the goodies they want from a given Internet site, thereby relinquishing any claim on any future privacy concerns? I get that there is a monetary value on my data, but since I live in a rural area with few opportunities to just go spend money somewhere (esp. during CV-19,) with two ad blockers, a good spam filter, &c, there are limits as to how many targeted ads I ever even see.

You've also got a fallacy ad populum: that just because a lot of people do something, it must be the right thing to do. [This is like the old question: "If you were a lemming and all the other lemmings are jumping off a cliff, would you do that, too?"]

Are you familiar with the expression "sheeple"?

Sorry, but a lot of scams targeting seniors are done by telephone or mail. It's not because seniors are Internet-illiterate, it's because they don't smell a rat.

Moreover, I can't tell you how many OPs I've seen by younger women who think they're in love with someone they've only "met" on the Internet. They don't stop to think that this guy is probably not who he claims to be. Sometimes he lives in another country so she wonders when they will meet. How vulnerable and naïve is that? I could argue that lonely young women desperate to be in a relationship are more vulnerable than seniors are.

I don't know about you, but I got on the Internet via email for my work in 1993. Today I use it extensively, just not social media. I know very few seniors who are not connected, either because their work required it back-when; or to keep in touch with friends and family. Think about the dates when banking went on-line to get some idea.

Watch out for ageism, Bunraku. It is a form of prejudice.

Thank God, I'm an Aquarian. I can think for myself, thank you very much.

waybread

Like President Trump. His path was upwards and and became the most powerful person in the world. He is very high in the evolutionary scale.

Bunraku, now I think you're just pulling our legs. I suspected as much. You're just running a little line of jokes. For what purpose, I cannot imagine.

Bunraku

Bunraku, now I think you're just pulling our legs. I suspected as much. You're just running a little line of jokes. For what purpose, I cannot imagine.
Waybread are you going to tell me a person who won the hearts of many Americans and became the most powerful person NOT blessed karmically? He saved this country.

Bunraku

Bunraku, if you want a microchip in your brain, I can't stop you. I recommend the "logical thinking" microchip.

Because now you're into "two wrongs make a right" territory. People give up X amount of their privacy to get the goodies they want from a given Internet site, thereby relinquishing any claim on any future privacy concerns? I get that there is a monetary value on my data, but since I live in a rural area with few opportunities to just go spend money somewhere (esp. during CV-19,) with two ad blockers, a good spam filter, &c, there are limits as to how many targeted ads I ever even see.

You've also got a fallacy ad populum: that just because a lot of people do something, it must be the right thing to do. [This is like the old question: "If you were a lemming and all the other lemmings are jumping off a cliff, would you do that, too?"]

Are you familiar with the expression "sheeple"?

Sorry, but a lot of scams targeting seniors are done by telephone or mail. It's not because seniors are Internet-illiterate, it's because they don't smell a rat.

Moreover, I can't tell you how many OPs I've seen by younger women who think they're in love with someone they've only "met" on the Internet. They don't stop to think that this guy is probably not who he claims to be. Sometimes he lives in another country so she wonders when they will meet. How vulnerable and naïve is that? I could argue that lonely young women desperate to be in a relationship are more vulnerable than seniors are.

I don't know about you, but I got on the Internet via email for my work in 1993. Today I use it extensively, just not social media. I know very few seniors who are not connected, either because their work required it back-when; or to keep in touch with friends and family. Think about the dates when banking went on-line to get some idea.

Watch out for ageism, Bunraku. It is a form of prejudice.

Thank God, I'm an Aquarian. I can think for myself, thank you very much.

It doesn’t matter if I’m right or wrong, it’s reality: your privacy is gone. :) no amount of tiny agreement sections or as blockers will help. Either you use VPN, Tor browser or a mixture of various security tools to fully enjoy privacy. These things are usually what people use if they’re into illegal activities, though.

You can think you have privacy all you want, but you don’t. Why do you desperately cling on to the past?

As for the population thing, it’s just culture it’s the future :)

You know when WiFi came out people kept saying ooh it’s the devil it’s gonna kill us all with its waves. Same thing with 5g.

Your room and gloom and wanting to turn things into a catastrophe is hindering you from achieving your true potential. Accept it and live your life.

I get that there is but since I live in a rural area with few opportunities to just go spend money somewhere (esp. during CV-19,) with two ad blockers, a good spam filter, &c, there are limits as to how many targeted ads I ever even see.
This means nothing. Privacy and security breaches and leaks happen everywhere, not just your personalized settings. A lot of information such as SSN bank information etc. gets leaked in various places.
Algorithms designed to sap information are far more hidden and insidious.

Last edited:

david starling

Waybread are you going to tell me a person who won the hearts of many Americans and became the most powerful person NOT blessed karmically? He saved this country.

He's RUINING it. Things were steadily improving economically BEFORE he was elected, and would have continued doing so regardless of who was President.

Last edited:

Bunraku

He's RUINING it. Things were steadily improving economically BEFORE he was elected, and would have continued doing so regardless of who was President.

COVID literally happened. It’s not his fault, unless you think that highly of him to the point he can stop covid.