Is Astrology a Religion?

david starling

If Astrology is a science, it's not a science in the "orthodox", "establishment" sense, because that version excludes Astrology from its format. Waybread, since you know a lot of people in the modern scientific community, can you estimate how many of them accept it as a valid field of scientific study? One special case: I believe that mainstream Jungian analysts use astrology in their practice, and are themselves accepted by Establishment Science.

Last edited:

Dirius

since the beginning of the enlightment, science has replaced the concept of god in our consciousness. but as rational creature we reject that observation. But it is true as now a days when problems arise, everyone says "oh science will fix it" rather that god will fix in the times before the enlighten mine.
what you think the potential of science is ,is immaterial ,the fact is science has always been used for war and profits. we as I culture are programmed to believe democracy, science and justice are all synonymous. but this is just cultural propaganda.
look around you, fukishima has killed the north pacific and in a few years the entire pacific will be sterile. the problem with nuclear energy were pointed out in the very beginning, but scientists said" science will find a way to fix that".but science has not.

you should read a different universe as it gives example of the little lies that "science " covers up to keep the populous believing in science's omnipotent power for good.

rahu

Not really.

The enlightenment was never opposed to the idea of a "God" or a deity of the sort. In fact most prominent figures of the era were indeed deeply religious men, and part of the enlightment was freedom of religion.

What they opposed was the idea of a dominant "church", the european caste system known as "nobility", and the monarchial political system known as "absolutism" of ruling by right of birth.

The individuals mostly pushed for freedom and rationale thinking. Science began to bloom under both this principles. But what science mostly did was oppose the man-made doctrines of the church.

Most great scientists of that time, were indeed religious men.

Galileo, the father of modern physics, was very interested in religion...and none of his work involved war machines.

---------

Science is used for whatever man needs it to be used. Its just a tool.

And it does fix your problems. Medicine fixes a lot of problems. We've found cures for lots of diseases that used to kill or cripple people.

Communication, transportation, medicine, mathematics, physics....what we have achieved as a species is just amazing.

-------

And on the subject of war. It is not just a "human" thing.

Most animals fight for territory and resources. When lions kill hyena's, they do so to reduce competition, and avoid predation of their cubs. In fact male lions are pretty much programmed to attack and kill other smaller/weaker predators on sight.

Recently, primatologists discovered that chimpanzee packs attack other groups of the same species with the only objective of territorial expansion and resource advantage. This has been seen as a war-like activity.

In fact we humans are, in a way, above this petty things. We created "commerce" (the practice of exchanging good), and through the study of economics we attempt to constantly refine this. In a way commerce is what separates us from beasts, given that we did learn to share, rather than to conquer.

War is only used as a last resort.

Last edited:

tikana

astrology works plain and simple
especially horary!

we have a theory
we have examples / cases

theory = proof.

case closed

david starling

Yes, but how and why does it work? Until we know that, it's an Art, not a Science. Personally, I like the mystical mysteriousness of it all.

Last edited:

Oddity

We don't know how gravity works. That's why it's a law instead of a theory.

Astrology will never be a science under the current scientific paradigm. Astrology can't even reasonably exist in that paradigm.

But so what? Why do we need the approval of modern science to do what we do? It still works, even if it doesn't fit into a current scientific definition.

waybread

If Astrology is a science, it's not a science in the "orthodox", "establishment" sense, because that version excludes Astrology from its format. Waybread, since you know a lot of people in the modern scientific community, can you estimate how many of them accept it as a valid field of scientific study? One special case: I believe that mainstream Jungian analysts use astrology in their practice, and are themselves accepted by Establishment Science.

Astrology was considered scientific in centuries past, but it was always under scrutiny and criticism, even in the Greek and Roman worlds. This is why you see Hellenistic astrologers like Ptolemy and Firmicus Maternus going to considerable lengths to justify astrology to the sceptics. Part of the reason why astrology became a university subject in the Middle Ages was because of its affiliation with medicine.

The one astronomer I'm aware of who takes astrology seriously is Mike Brown, discoverer of some of the trans-Neptunians like Eris. http://www.mikebrownsplanets.com/2008/01/i-heart-astrologers.html This isn't because he agrees with astrology's truth-claims; but rather, because he sees astrology as a cultural phenomenon with a poetic vision about humanity's relationship with the sky, and that shares a common history with astronomy.

Once the Copernican Revolution took hold and medicine began to make advances without the benefit of astrology, astrology's status as a science waned. The Copernican Revolution (ca. 1500) is really the beginning of the split between astronomy and astrology.

It is important to recognize that the science of the past is not the science of today. Science has evolved throughout its history, and we can't look at a past century as somehow typifying science in 2015.

Astrology today has very little in common with science. Science relies on the scientific method: hypothesis-testing, experimentation, data collection and analysis, and conclusions drawn from the results. This is usually done in a laboratory, observatory, or at carefully controlled field sites. Many disciplines are empirical, but we wouldn't call them science: like history, law, or accountancy, for example. The distinction between science and not-science isn't so much its factual basis (although astrology mightily struggles here,) but the methods employed. And astrology has yet to demonstrate its validity under scientific research conditions.

The scientific method is explained at: http://www.livescience.com/20896-science-scientific-method.html and http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/scientific_method.html

This just isn't what astrologers do.

So David, the number of card-carrying scientists today who except astrology as scientific today (not in the Middle Ages) would be extremely small. (I dunno, like maybe 2 or 3?) This doesn't mean that historians of science dismiss astrology as a cultural phenomenon, or as a part of science in the past. Historians of science have uncovered a lot of intriguing information about astrology at different times in the past. It is understood that a lot of good astronomy in ancient times and during the Middle Ages was conducted for purposes of astrology.

I can supply references if anyone is interested.

Jungian psychology is not mainstream psychology. I tried to look it up in university catalogues and in overviews of psychology some months ago, and found only two accredited comprehensive universities in the US that offered Jungian courses in the psychology departments. Jungian psychology is taught at specialized institutes, however. Some of them are approved by higher education accreditation bodies, and some are not. Today psychology is considered to be "behavioural science" and even has some overlap with neuroscience. Jungian psychology just doesn't fit this model, as none of it was based on controlled experiments. Actually, some of Jungian psychology is more akin to the humanities, with its emphasis on mythology.

I can't say how many Jungian psychologists use astrology in their practice. If you start googling these practitioners, I suspect that they would be in the minority. Liz Greene's psychology credentials were suspect, as her Ph. D. was from a short-lived "institute." When she recently returned to university (Bristol, 2010) for a credible Ph. D., she did not get it in psychology, but in history.

A few years ago a judge in India declared astrology to be a "science." This got the actual physicists, chemists, &c in India rather alarmed. The text of the judge's decision, however, reads more like a very loose definition of science that we see used in English, just meaning a body of knowledge of long-standing. In this sense, I might talk about the "science" of baking a cake. I personally don't mean anything physical or chemical about cake-baking, but more that there is a body of knowledge about baking, and the procedures can be exacting.

Dirius

Yes, but how and why does it work? Until we know that, it's an Art, not a Science. Personally, I like the mystical mysteriousness of it all.

That isn't really the case.

Like Oddity mentioned, we don't know how gravity works. We don't know many things that are used by science, we just know their effects.

Like the renown physicist Richard Feynman states:

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Science is merely the compound knowledge done by research, through testable evidence, done for an extended period of time. We still have no idea why many things in our universe work the way they do.

-------

Regarding astrology as a science. The problem with astrology is that its foundational idea is based on a hypothesis.

The whole framework of astrology works on the asumption of aristotelian thought combined with myth, and the percieved notion that ancient humans gave to certain planets (like Venus being the planet of "Love").

Using that perspective, anyone can challenge the basis of astrology.

Also, while astrology can be submitted to the scientific method, it is rather hard to find parameters accepted by science, given that astrology is too much subjective, and while certain patterns do explain similar things, you would need a rather broad margin in order to achieve a scientific conclusion regarding it.

david starling

Excellent answer. Establishment science has finalized the divorce of astronomy from astrology, and scientific method has been used to "prove" that astrology "doesn't work". My impression is that the scientific community got the results it wanted from those tests, and the astrologers involved weren't careful enough. Aside from the possibility the tests were rigged, there's another factor to consider: Social and traditionalistic pressure cause a majority of people to go against their own chart; and it takes either a staunch Individualist or a supportive situation for a test subject to match what an astrologer would say about chosen profession, for example. Anyhow, scientists and astrologers have agreed to disagree, and that's that.
I had missed that connection between astrology and the practice of medicine. In the 16th Century, astrologers (men) could dispense medical advice while the real healers, (mostly women herbalists, like Kepler's mother) were targets of religious persecution.

Oddity

There are serious problems with scientific testing of astrology. One is that the tests are often devised by scientists - who often don't know what they're looking for, are testing claims that astrology has never made in the first place, and wouldn't know a significant result if they fell over it (looking for one thing, but accidentally finding something else, for example).

A few times I've known of science offering to 'sponsor' research by astrologers. But how that's worked - hey, we'll give you $5000 to test this theory. When astrologers don't jump at the chance of that much money being able to support themselves, a staff, software coding, and probably a research facility, however modest, for a year or two - well, obviously the astrologers are con artists. After all, any scientist would love to get that kind of funding for a couple of years' full-time work - right?

Let's not forget the jewel in the crown: horary. How would you test sincere questions, the kind people lose sleep over and ask when they just have to know (those pretty much being the conditions) in a scientific way? It's not something that can be performed on demand. Granted, any competent horarist has enough charts in their files to be personally convinced of its value, but that doesn't translate to 'scientific evidence'.

It also really, really, really bothers me that doctors are allowed to be wrong - and medicine is not invalidated. Physicists are allowed to be wrong - and yet physics is still valid. Even in the non-sciency fields, if an accountant makes a mistake, that doesn't invalidate accountancy. But let an astologer be wrong, or let there be an astrological charlatan, or even let an astrologer not be a mind-reader, and the field is considered invalid. Why the wild discrepancy in standards here?

There's one web page I'm looking for that I can't find, but meanwhile:

http://www.astrozero.co.uk/astroscience/harding.htm

and

http://www.astrozero.co.uk/astroscience/elres.htm

Lengthy, but worth your time if you're really interested in this.

And really, why would we want to do this? I don't agree with Dirius that astrology's foundation is mostly Aristotle and myth (though I did have to read a tonne of Aristotle when I started studing traditional astrology, it was one of my first assignments, and yes, he's important), but then again, I get into the really hysty-mysty stuff like stoicism, hermeticism, and astrological magic.

Somehow I just can't see modern-day science saying that astrology is something God gave humans to help us.

I'm not bitter about that, but the atheist-materialist paradigm, and the paradigm(s) astrology comes out of - not even close to each other. Yet there are scientists who don't dismiss astrology, sometimes even in their work, because it can have some pragmatic value. And, of course, there are astrologers who don't hate science.

I just wish we could get of of this damnable binary thinking of us against them.

Last edited:

Inline

Astrology today has very little in common with science.

Science relies on the scientific method: hypothesis-testing, experimentation, data collection and analysis......and astrology has yet to demonstrate its validity under scientific research conditions.

So.....we're back to the question is astrology a religion, we all believe in it?

david starling

Scientists/priests using the scientific method/ritual in their laboratories/ temples to reveal the Laws of the Space-Time Continuum/God and creating amazing results/miracles. Scientists are zealots, spreading the gospel of their BELIEF that the material world is the only ONE true world, scoffing at those with a different belief paradigm/infidels, ridiculing other scientists who propose unorthodox theories/heretics, and their Holy Grail is a United Field Theory. Heard a story about an Aboriginal shaman in Australia who was told that some scientists using the Scientific Method had determined that his Dream Time wasn't real; to which he replied that, while in Dream Time, he had determined that Science wasn't real. All a matter of opinion.

Dirius

Scientists/priests using the scientific method/ritual in their laboratories/ temples to reveal the Laws of the Space-Time Continuum/God and creating amazing results/miracles. Scientists are zealots, spreading the gospel of their BELIEF that the material world is the only ONE true world, scoffing at those with a different belief paradigm/infidels, ridiculing other scientists who propose unorthodox theories/heretics, and their Holy Grail is a United Field Theory. Heard a story about an Aboriginal shaman in Australia who was told that some scientists using the Scientific Method had determined that his Dream Time wasn't real; to which he replied that, while in Dream Time, he had determined that Science wasn't real. All a matter of opinion.

This isn't true, because any claim done by science can be easily verified by empirical evidence supporting it, and any individual can potentially refute those results based on the same parameters.

Everything science does can be proven.

david starling

Verifying the scientific method using the scientific method is circular reasoning. No one doubts the miracles that can be achieved using it, but that doesn't make it the only way to define Reality. I find it beautiful myself, and it's a wonderful world view--just not the only valid one.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Verifying the scientific method using the scientific method is circular reasoning.

No one doubts the miracles that can be achieved using it, but that doesn't make it the only way to define Reality.
I find it beautiful myself, and it's a wonderful world view--just not the only valid one.

Nevertheless verifying the scientific method using the scientific method is the scientific method
FEYNMAN ON THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYPapE-3FRw&list=PL6DED172E7E017720 :smile:

melleoscorp

Account Closed
So.....we're back to the question is astrology a religion, we all believe in it?

I personally don't consider it religion.
From what I read temples built in ancient times (Rome, Egypt, Sumeria, Babylon etc) for gods/goddesses. Each temple had high priest/priestess and worshippers (from common people to emperors/kings) come to worship and sometimes a ritual preformed to mix DNA of selected men/women with the gods/goddesses. Julius Caesar was one of the royals born this way, and that Caesarean (C section) surgery had to be done because it wasn't like normal child delivery. If people were just studying, they wouldn't have had a specific day for god/goddess feast, specific animals sacrifice, let alone mixing genes with these gods/goddesses, beings from other planets/stars.
I also never 'call' upon any planet/star/asteroid (or the beings associated with these planets/stars). I was told I can 'call' them but I never do.

Oddity

They were mixing the DNA of people with the DNA of planets??? I'm confused.

There are gods and goddesses out there who bear the names of planets, but in the ancient astrological writings you will find very, very little mythology. Planets and stars weren't considered gods by astrologers.

Most religions have feast days, a lot of them astrologically timed, and some religions practise sacrifice, but that doesn't make them star-worshippers.

Did I miss something here? Cos I feel like I must have.

melleoscorp

Account Closed
They were mixing the DNA of people with the DNA of planets??? I'm confused.

There are gods and goddesses out there who bear the names of planets, but in the ancient astrological writings you will find very, very little mythology. Planets and stars weren't considered gods by astrologers.

Most religions have feast days, a lot of them astrologically timed, and some religions practise sacrifice, but that doesn't make them star-worshippers.

Did I miss something here? Cos I feel like I must have.

no, they mixed human DNA with the gods/goddeses
such as gods of the Anunnaki are actually beings from Nibiru

I don't have the books anymore, but it's Sitchin ( ancient Sumer ) and Barbara Hand Clow ( Julius Caesar and more, she compiled from many sources ). There are other authors I just can't remember all of their names.