How important are Node Transits?

kolani

Hi!

A friend of mine recently had the North Node cross over his MC and a great career opportunity popped up.

How significant are Node Transits? The node will be conjoining my Neptune soon...will this be significant? Are there any books that talk about Node Transits?

Thanks!

K

JUPITERASC

Hi! A friend of mine recently had the North Node cross over his MC and a great career opportunity popped up. How significant are Node Transits? The node will be conjoining my Neptune soon...will this be significant? Are there any books that talk about Node Transits? Thanks! K
Worldwide, there are hundreds if not thousands of astrologers so there are many differing astrological points of view. Some books have been written on the subject.

Modern astrologer Celeste Teal has written a[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] complete lunar node book covering everything from the nodal positions in the natal chart, by sign and house, nodal aspects to the Ascendant, Midheaven, Vertex, Part of Fortune, Planetary Aspects, to Transits of Nodes to natal Planets, Transits of Planets to natal Nodes, Interpreting the Nodes in the Solar Return, in Progressions, in Synastry... this book makes it easy to interpret the nodes in any type of chart and they can be used as a stand alone tool to find out all kinds of things that may surprise you[/FONT]...[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]They even furnish information about the personality, demeanor, physical body, stature and appetite"[/FONT]

"Timing Events With The Moons Nodes" http://moonvalleyastrologer.com/moon_nodes.htm

Celeste Teal has also written an book entitled "Eclipses" which I mention because eclipses are connected with the Nodes

Rob Tillett tells us that progressed & transiting nodes have a powerful effect when passing over either a natal planet or the Part of Fortune (material wellbeing), the ascendant/descendant cusps (self vs other) or the MC/IC (public/ vs private/domestic).

North Node is more concerned with activating or energising personal ambitions, aims and developing purposes. http://www.astrologycom.com/nodes.html

The significance of the Nodes has been widely underestimated in Western Astrology over the past fifty years or so, due to the rise of "psychological" or "humanistic" interpretative paradigms that have devalued many traditional features of the astrologer's toolkit.

Traditional Western astrology & Vedic, or Indian astrology, places the Nodes on the same critical level of importance as the Sun, Moon and other visible planets. They are the personal eclipse points of the chart and experience shows that the movement of the Nodes has a significant effect on human life & the destinies of all beings who dwell on the surface of the Earth. Moon's Nodes are very important! :smile:

dr. farr

I believe they are as significant as the transit of any planet. I KNOW (not believe) that the transit of the SN is always a significant indicator of potential trouble, it is the single most reliable indicator (the SN is) of potential problems, troubles, susceptibilities, etc, of ANY single astrological element (it is a more reliable portent of possible problems than Saturn or Mars, and for those who use the outers, more reliable for indicating possible problems than Pluto or Uranus)

An excellent (Modernist) astrology book on the Nodes, including their transits, is Judith Hill's "The Lunar Nodes", easily available at Amazon Books, and also from astroamerica.com

Evaluation of the Nodes is too often discounted or ignored both in Modernist and in contemporary Traditionalist astrology: for me, the Nodes-especially the SN-are always a major element in delineation of any type of chart...

gemini59

The south node recently passed my Gemini sun at 22 degrees. In addition, this was in conjunction with an eclipse on June 15th . However, this was a dragons head lunar eclipse in Sagittarius usually a portend of more beneficial/jupiter energy.

My sun is in the 3rd house...now I am not sure what this means..but I am watching the sun/mars challenges to this point.

Similarly the north nodes conjuncted natal MC, saturn and opposed natal mercury in 2010 and in conjunction with a dragons head lunar.
Over the last year my mother was moved just a few blocks from me so I could care for her. Coincidence I am not sure....but Saturn is responsibility....is the north node positive? Maybe so...
The south node on mercury in the fourth....? I can say that my sisters have been in lot of troubles...I went through a couple of rewrites of child support payments which helped I think in the long run...I am not sure it was malefic though.

Mist Knacker

They're significant as others stated.

I have noticed that the area where the South Node is transiting at a given time is where there is stagnancy, sense of being stuck or in "pause", and progress cannot seem to be achieved.

As dr. farr mentioned above, troubles or reversals can even occur there during a South Node transit over a given place. I find this to be the case if you have not been ethical and honest concerning the area that the South Node is influencing.

For example, Tiger Woods had the South Node transiting his 10th House when he got into trouble for his sexual transgressions, and his reputation suffered as a result.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/ganeshaspeaks/horoscope/prweb3331414.htm

On the other hand, the area where the North Node is transiting at a given time is where there tends to be steady forward movement and progress.

Flowergirl

Transiting NN recently went over my MC and Neptune but I can't say that anything significant happened. The reason I say this is because I have heaps of other transits involving Neptune, Saturn, Jupiter and Uranus going on. There's a lot of action for me right now and the nodal transit wasn't really felt. Or maybe there was simply a lack of recognition due to all the other transits. I can say however that I've had an increase of interest in spiritual things around that time and became quiet and introspective.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Dr. Farr why south node and not north node?

Actually I did not mean to slight the importance of the North Node (the Dragon's Head) It is just that I tend to look at the South Node as a portent of problems because most of what I actually use astrology for is in the medical field, and we search charts for trouble/problem indicating pointers (relating to health) moreso than we do in looking for benefic pointers, since in astro-therapeutics we want to antidote/modify the health disruptive elements shown in the chart.

So yes I will say that the NN is equally important to the SN when making complete astrological dleineations.

But back to the Dragon's Tail for a moment: this Node tends to be frequently overlooked because:

-none of the free chart services (such as astro.com) mark it on any of their charts (they mark the NN, but not the SN), so when we look at these charts we have to imagine the SN (its always directly opposite where the NN is marked on the chart)

-we very often neglect the SN when considering Parallels of declination: again, the free chart services do not note the declination of the SN: on the astro.com pdf for declinations, etc, while the NN declination is listed, the SN declination is not listed: here again we must calculate it in our mind (the SN declination is the same as the NN declination ONLY IT IS ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ECLIPTIC, eg, if the listed NN declination is given as North, then the SN declination is the same degree but SOUTH, or if the listed NN declination is given as South, then the SN declination is the same degree but NORTH)

-too often, if we don't find the SN in conjunction with a planet, Lot or anguluar degree on the chart, we fail to check if the SN might be in Parallel of declination with a planet or degree (like the ascending degree or MC degree)-this oversight can be a fruitful source of delineative error: say we are all enthused about Jupiter because of how well it is placed and the benefic aspects to it-and the SN in longitude is far away from it: now, though, we consider the declinations and find Jupiter within a degree of Parallel of declination with the SN-this puts a VERY different delineative spin on the actual Jupiter influences in that chart.

Last edited:

fushiafairy

so glad to read up on this....

Just checked two very difficult times in my life and BINGO, south node transits. South node conjunct my natal moon(Emotionally difficult time).
At another time(horrid) I had south node conjunct my natal saturn. During the aftermath of that time, I had south node conjunct my natal sun.

DR. FARR...
how do we know the declination of the south node. Is it the opposite of the north node?

Last edited:

dr. farr

Yes: in the astro.com pdf, find the North Node: now look at its declination-this will be the same declination as the South Node EXCEPT that the South Node will be on the OPPOSITE SIDE of the ecliptic:
Example:
North Node is at 22degrees18minutes N (meaning North)
Where is the South Node?
Answer: South Node is at 22degrees18minutes S (meaning South)

Kannon

Dr. Farr is right again about the significance of the South Node in declination, not just in transit or progression, but the natal point when hit by transits or progressions. Trouble indeed. When the USA natal S.Node [18S38] is hit by outer planet transits Republicans gain power. It shows most in the declination transits. The South Node natal position acts as a personal, familiar 'conservative' fall back position. The North Node natal position a more advancing, progressive position.

Claire19

Hi!

A friend of mine recently had the North Node cross over his MC and a great career opportunity popped up.

How significant are Node Transits? The node will be conjoining my Neptune soon...will this be significant? Are there any books that talk about Node Transits?

Thanks!

K
I dont believe they are significant in transits....I would look elsewhere for the career opportunity.....Nodes belong to the person born on that day and show the past life conditions and what is to be focussed on this time around....they are personal......and they are placements and not planetary bodies....

Claire19

personally negliable, from my studies and perspective, maybe crossing angles or tight conjunctions to personal planets. Look at and do the research...

http://www.khaldea.com/ephemcenter.shtml

here is my favourite online ephemeris which plots where the planets are for hundreds of years...
Right on. Only the natal nodes to be used and in tight orb. If a transitting planet hits the north node and there is an echo in the natal chart, then we would look at them....

Caro

C17

I couldnt help but notice your north node in gemini as it is in your signature!
So that means the transit of the south node is over you north node (or was) recently. So I guess you have personally experience of what this may mean to you recently.

Im really interested in Dr Farr's and MistK view on this . Will do some of my own research.

the south node transit is in my 8th house at the moment. And to be honest I had paid it little attention until now.

toona03

I have found node transits to be very significant, but often subtle. Both north and south node transits have brought me significant meetings and revelations. They're spiritual gateways. Often it seems they bring gifts to aid in the pursuit of the true destiny... at least that's how I experience it.

Someone mentioned a node transiting neptune. I had that a few years ago and at the time I was traveling in the desert by myself. There was nothing that happened in particular but that period of time was very significant in a subtle, Neptunian way. I felt as if I was facing some part of myself I hadn't really been aware of. Just recently the NN transited my ascendant and I had a sort of "coming out" period with regards to my career, life path, etc. Old friends and family started appearing from all directions and observed that I had made significant changes in my life for the first time.

Other transits happening at the time obviously reflect how you experience life in general... but I have found nodal transits to bring certain gifts and knowledge to light. South node transits I have found to be "releasing" energies from the past in some way. Sometimes it seems that it brings back trouble from the past or past lives... other times it seems to let go of things once and for all. North node transits seem to bring in people and events that become significant later. The two major loves of my life I met during North node transits. One of them I even met twice, during two separate exact north node transits. I have exact natal nodal aspects with both of these men, to boot.

I'm about to have a south node-sun transit. With mars in scorpio and saturn about to enter scorpio from the other end coming towards pluto, I'm kind of nervous, haha.

Mist Knacker

Hi!

Thanks!

K
The North Node is called Rahu in Vedic astrology. According to your Vedic chart, if you are currently running the main or sub-period of Rahu (North Node), then the transit will have more significant importance.

Additionally, if the North Node is prominent - within 6 degrees either side of an angle or in an angular sector - in the precessed Lunar or Solar Return for the period when the transit(s) occurs then, the influence will be more significant.

If the nodes are in a strong placement in your natal chart as well, then they will carry more importance in your life.

There is a good book on the nodes called North Node Astrology: Rediscovering Your Life Direction and Soul Purpose by Elizabeth Spring M.A.