Bucket with Moon as handle

Yoi

Hi guys,

There's a type of aspect formation known as a bucket or funnel. It is like a bowl (all planets within 180 degrees i.e. in one hemisphere) but with a single planet in the other side of the chart all by itself.

http://www.bobmarksastrologer.com/funnel.html

I remember reading somewhere that a bucket with the moon as the funnel/handle in particular is a fairly significant formation. Does anyone know why this is the case or does anyone else have this formation? I'm just curious as my chart has this bucket formation - all the planets except for the moon are on the right hand side of the chart (houses 4-8) with the moon alone on the left hand side of the chart in house 1.

Howl

Hi Yoi :) I have one of those, with the moon as the 'handle', or 'singleton'. Can I see your chart, too?

Last edited:

Yoi

Hi Howl,

Here's mine.

Attachments

• natalsmall.jpg
    natalsmall.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 112

Howl

Your moon makes several aspects too. I wonder if the importance of the singleton would be less if it somehow managed to make few or no aspects...

I've always assigned my moon extra 'weight' as it is also the ruler of my ascendant, and with yours in the 1H and the sign of your ascendant, I would also give it that extra 'weight'.

I'm wondering if for someone whose singleton is not prominantly placed, whether the bucket/funnel theory would be less significant.

Yoi

Howl said:
Your moon makes several aspects too. I wonder if the importance of the singleton would be less if it somehow managed to make few or no aspects...

I've always assigned my moon extra 'weight' as it is also the ruler of my ascendant, and with yours in the 1H and the sign of your ascendant, I would also give it that extra 'weight'.

I'm wondering if for someone whose singleton is not prominantly placed, whether the bucket/funnel theory would be less significant.

Hi Howl.

My Moon is also tightly trine the MC which I guess makes it even more weighty.

The moon in your chart doesn't have any very tight major aspects though it has a 5 orb trine to Venus which I guess makes you very "feminine"? There's also a 5 orb opposition to Uranus. Your Venus is also in Aquarius which is ruled by Uranus. I guess your emotions and relationships are what society would call unusual? The Moon is also the ruler of your ascendant...

Do you feel the Moon very strongly in your chart?

Stacey5271

If you take Chiron out of the chart, my son has a bucket formation with Mars as the handle. And Mars is a good way to describe a lot of his energy. On top of that, his ascendant is at 25 Scorpio 54 making Pluto his chart ruler, but then Mars is co-ruler as well. AND Mars is part of his grand water trine too.

Last edited:

Natasha

Howl your moon opposite Uranus would be the prominant aspect as its an opposition. The trine to venus would be much softer & give you some relief from some of the Uranus Moon effects.
Uranus Moon has freedom closeness issues often. With the opposition we may experiance others causing it more that we initiating it
Moon trine venus is a nice friendly warm furry aspect & one could go to that for reassurance perhaps.
But if an outer transiting planet conjuncts the moon or uranus you may not feel that the venus is as accessable

Soul Friend

Before Bob Marks there was Marc Edmund Jones who detailed these patterns and Buckets or Funnels traditionally if I'm not mistaken require a minimum of 65° between the Focal Planet and the remainder of the planets which Marks seems to overlook. The emphasis on these Moons can be attributed to the position of Cutting Planet in the lead position of a Locomotive or a Bowl perhaps. Too, the one almost appears to be the part of an overlooked Kite because the Moon is just a bit wide for the Trine but w/ all those planets aligning some might consider it. Don't take my opinion or any other words on the web as etched in stone, but perhaps see if a little more digging can find a second opinion to corroborate the details on the web. There are a lot of websites with folks sharing authoritatively but if they disagree with what came before them it wouldn't hurt to share they differ and why.