Hyleg and Alcocoden

petosiris

Banned
One has to be careful about the statements about system A, or system B

Take care children, sidereal longitudes are dangerous! The equally rising table comes from the Babylonians. As you said, they are clearly round off for a klima and schematicism in a sidereal zodiac. It does not mean that they were tropical astrologers, just that they were also observing the seasons and daylight. (That means they were taking seasonal/''tropical'' considerations in a sidereal zodiac. The Babylonians calculated the rising times not for the calculation of horoscope, but for calendrical reasons according to Francesca Rochberg.) For example in the sidereal zodiac today Aquarius and Pisces are counter-antiscia (like-ascending) and Aries and Leo are antiscia (like-empowered). Those are extensions of the aspect doctrine which also has like-engirding signs like Aries and Scorpio. I remind that the antiscia the majority of Hellenistic astrologers used is clearly non-tropical - having Gemini and Leo as antiscia rather than Cancer and Gemini, because the equinox was thought somewhere within Aries, rather than at the interstice.

As for the calculations of ancient horoscopes - From the first century to the first half of the fourth there are no more than one or two data points that could be interpreted as tropical longitudes, and these are just as likely to be errors. - p. 17 - Jones, A. (2010). Ancient rejection and adoption of Ptolemy’s frame of reference for longitudes. In Ptolemy in Perspective (pp. 11-44). Springer, Dordrecht.

I am sure one error is in Valens, as I was only able to get the tropical chart. However it is clear from the rest that he is using sidereal longitudes.

3. It just seems to me, in death prediction, that a wrong prediction is simply not good enough. This isn't like predicting whether someone will win the lottery or get the plum job. Death is final, finito; and a doomsday date would fill most people with a lot of anxiety. I have seen several members on this and another forum have the bejeesus scared out of them by a "friend" playing Sorcerer's Apprentice with their charts in this manner. For this and other ethical reasons, several astrological organizations prohibit their members from engaging in death prediction among their clients or forum members.

Is it ethical to predict marriage, children and good times for one who is going to be under threat in a certain period before it?

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Take care children, sidereal longitudes are dangerous! The equally rising table comes from the Babylonians. As you said, they are clearly round off for schematicism in a sidereal zodiac. It does not mean that they were tropical astrologers, just that they were also observing the seasons and daylight. (That means they were taking seasonal/''tropical'' considerations in a sidereal zodiac.) For example in the sidereal zodiac today Aquarius and Pisces are counter-antiscia (like-ascending) and Aries and Leo are antiscia (like-empowered). Those are extensions of the aspect doctrine which also has like-engirding signs like Aries and Scorpio. I remind that the antiscia the majority of Hellenistic astrologers used is clearly non-tropical - having Gemini and Leo as antiscia rather than Cancer and Gemini, because the equinox was thought somewhere within Aries, rather than as the beginning of it.

As for the calculations of ancient horoscopes - From the first century to the first half of the fourth there are no more than one or two data points that could be interpreted as tropical longitudes, and these are just as likely to be errors. - p. 17 - Jones, A. (2010). Ancient rejection and adoption of Ptolemy’s frame of reference for longitudes. In Ptolemy in Perspective (pp. 11-44). Springer, Dordrecht.

I am sure one error is in Valens, as I was only able to get the tropical chart. However it is clear from the rest that he is using sidereal longitudes.

Is it ethical to predict marriage, children and good times for one who is going to be under threat in a certain period before it?
The furore raised by MORALITY OF PREDICTING DEATH thread at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64628&highlight=morality
inspired the creation of
Relationships and Morality of Predicting Those :smile:
In Natal As Well As Horary Astrology at
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68195&highlight=morality

Paul_ decided to Close his Account and states his reasons
on the MORALITY OF PREDICTING DEATH thread
however, many of his comments no longer remain
having been deleted
nevertheless
I reiterated Paul_'s remarks that
it is not unusual for members to request information regarding
astrological prediction of their possible future relationship prospects.
Asking a relationship Horary question
is a popular method of seeking answers/advice to such questions
Obviously then, as Paul_ highlighted
because anyone may well be justifiably depressed/upset
if they were told that their future relationship prospects are nil
/negligible/unlikely
- and given that not everyone believes in astrology
and many are simply curious -
and since many have implicit belief that the astrologer is qualified to tell them
their future relationship prospects

THEN
(A) are astrologers morally justified
in predicting that future relationship prospects are nil/negligible/unlikely
if that is their opinion of the chart in question?

AND IF
an astrologer may have led a client to believe in a definite prospect/likelihood of a relationship
within the next few months or so

AND THEN NO SUCH PROSPECTS OCCURRED
and the client became depressed
Then
(B) are astrologers morally justified in predicting
that future relationship prospects are excellent?

MissScorpio

Hi there. May I ask what we do if the Alcocoden makes no aspect whatsoever to the Hyleg? The aspect that scores the highest point is triplicty i.e - Mars has triplicity in Pisces, but Mars is in weak position in 12th house and also by sign? What then if there is no aspect, may someone advise? Thanks in advance.