The Prenatal Epoch

Arian Maverick

Then what it proves is that 4.15pm is not my time of birth (which I don't think it is) but when you try it with the late Sag ascendant it does seems to work. Will you just check that for me please to make sure I have not made a mistake?

I'm not sure if I would jump to this conclusion yet, because I have performed the Tritune of Hermes on other charts in which the time of birth was more certain and arrived at nonsensical results, yet perhaps I will try the method again using the time providing a late Sagittarius Ascendant; this will change the formula because the Moon will now be above the Earth.

Isn't the rectification method supposed to show which is the right time by whichever time does work?

No, I don't think this particular method is meant to work this way, although other methods involving transits and progressions do.

I will know the right time of birth by finding the degree of the Moon in the Epoch chart and making this degree your Descendant in your natal chart.

Arian Maverick

P.S. I didn't originally notice when I was typing my last reply, but it seems that you have combined some aspects of the Animodar Method of Rectification with some aspects of the Tritune of Hermes. Perhaps you were describing the Animodar Method of Rectification in this post, but just in case, I wanted to point out that this does not have anything to do with the Tritune of Hermes.

The first new Moon above the horizon just prior to my birth occured on 22 August 1960 at 9.15am at 28o45' Leo. The planet in this chart that has the most essential dignity is the Sun at 29o13' Leo (+8), which is closer to the AC at 2o59' Libra than to the MC 3o53' Cancer.
Therefore I should put my natal AC at 29 degrees like the Sun.

Also, remember that the 273 days is either increased or decreased depending upon the number of degrees the Moon is from the Ascendant or the Descendant, depending upon where in the Moon's cycle you were born and if the Moon was above or below the Earth.

By the Trutine method the number of epoch days is 273, putting the date of conception at 15 December 1959 with the Moon in Gemini as in my natal chart.

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I was just about to try the method with the other time you suggested, but this presents one problem--the Moon is still below the Ascendant, so the formula won't change.

I'll try the method with this time of birth and if it doesn't work, I suppose we'll have to rectify your natal chart back even further so that your natal Moon is slightly above your Descendant.

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

I don't want to complicate this too much unless I have too, so as I mentioned earlier, I'm going to try to use this birth time first and see if it gives a more accurate time.

We've already established that the Moon is below the horizon and decreasing in light, so we use the formula 273 days minus x.

EDIT: Hold on a second; I think I may have forgotten to divide the number of degrees the Moon was from the Descendant by thirteen in the last example! I'm going to try again and see if I get a different time/date...

If we divide 9 1/3 by 13 and subtract this number from 273 days, we receive 272 days 11/39. I couldn't get this to correspond to an exact number, but to the nearest second, this would be 264 days, 6 hours, 46 minutes, and 9 seconds before you date of birth.

Now I'm going to use the Date calculator: Add to or subtract from a date two ways--one, subtracting this number from your date of birth and the other, subtracting this number from your given date and time of birth.

Here's the first: Wednesday, December 23, 1959 at 5: 13 :51 PM

And here's the second: Thursday, December 24, 1959 at 9:28:51 AM

The first time still gives us a Libra Moon, which would give you a Libra Ascendant and therefore an Aries Ascendant; I don't know why we keep getting this.

The second time gives your that Libra Moon as well! Argh! :mad:

I suppose it's back to the original plan--use the earlier birth time and see what happens.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I'm going to start afresh with a birth time of 3:41 PM.

The Moon is still decreasing in light and below the horizon, so we use the formula 273 days minus x. This time I need to remember to divide the number of degrees the Moon is from the Descendant by 13, the average daily motion of the Moon.

The Descendant is now at 29 Sagittarius 40 and the Moon is at 28 Sagittarius 16, so the Moon is 1 2/5 degrees from the Descendant.

1 2/5 divided by 13 gives a total of 7/65, which is approximately 2 hours, 35 minutes, and 5 seconds rounded up to the nearest second.

So now, we calculate 273 days before your birth and then take away 2 hours, 25 minutes, and 5 seconds. I'm too lazy to do the math separately! :p

Without taking your time of birth into account, we get a date and time of Monday, December 14, 1959 at 9: 34 :55 PM.

If we do use your time of birth, we receive Tuesday, December 15, 1959 at 1:15:55 PM.

The first chart gives us a Gemini Moon. This is getting better; we're looking for a late Gemini Moon and Gemini on the Descendant. I'm going to see if the second chart brings us closer to our goal.

This chart gives us a late Gemini Moon, but Libra is on the Desdendant. Unfortunately, moving the birth time back will only result in an earlier Moon, yet I feel awkward manipulating the method to get the desired results. How accurate would you say is the original time of birth; what do you believe is the margin of error? I generally do not like to rectify times so that they are more than a half-hour away from the given time of birth in any given direction, unless the individual knows that the margin of error of the birth time is very large--an hour or more.

If I go with this, the Moon is located at 24 Gemini 18'25", which would become the position of your Descendant in your natal chart. However, I'm not sure how accurate this result is since we have taken quite a few liberties with this method.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

The original time of birth is not really reliable. I do not have a time on the birth certificate and only when I was interested in having my chart done 18 years after my birth did I ask my mother. My sister's time was recorded and I noticed was 4.15 and that is too much coincidence. My brother remembers I was born in the afternoon, that is as close as it gets I think.

I can relate to this; I went six months studying astrology with the wrong birth time since my mother had told me I was born at 3:44 AM--the time recorded on my brother's birth certificate.

To give parents credit, I imagine it's difficult to keep the times of birth of various children straight in one's head--and of course, the mother had more important things on her mind at that moment.

Calculation is not my strongest point. AAARGHH!
My brain is turning to mush trying to follow it all!

I'm fairly decent at math, but these kinds of calculations are confusing because there is so much to keep track of--not to mention that the numbers rarely work out evenly.

At 15.41 the Moon is 1o21 from the DC (one and a third degrees approx), which converts to 1.33 for a decimal calculator.

Yes, this is correct.

If you divide 1.33 by 13 on the calculator you get 0.1 (so then is that 0.1 of a 24 hour day?) and 24 x 0.1 = 2.4
Is that how you get the 2 hours 35 minutes approx?

This gives a fraction of 4/39, but if you have a decimal calculator, it works out to 0.102564102--approximately 0.1 like you said.

Unfortunately, I've made so many calculations that I cannot find the one you are referring to, but I generally created an equation using x and then solved for the variable.

Generally, you have to determine the next unit of time that makes sense in your calculation, asking yourself, "What exactly is this a fraction of?" In the previous example, 4/39 is a fraction of a day, which is divided into 24 hours.
So first, I would have set up the equation 4/39. Therefore, I created the equation 4/39 = x/24, cross multiplied to receive 96 = 39x, and divided both sides by 39 to receive 2 6/13, or 2.461538462 using decimals.

So then we would have 2 6/13 hours. Hours are divided into sixty minutes, so I would drop the two and use the fraction 6/13 to set up another similar equation--6/13 = x/24. Again, I cross-multiplied to receive 13x = 144 and divided both sides by 13 to receive 11 1/13, or 11.07692308 using decimals.

So far, we have 2 hours and 11 minutes; now we want to determine the seconds.

Again, we drop the 11 and keep the fraction 1/13, setting up another equation; 1/13 = x/60. You cross-multiply again to receive 13x = 60 and divide both sides by thirteen to receive 4 8/13. Since the calculation program doesn't allow any units smaller than seconds, I simply rounded up to the nearest second.

Unfortunately, these numbers aren't matching up exactly with yours because I've been using a different calculator and only rounded at the end.

Part of the problem might also be that I calculated that there was a distance of 1 2/5 or 1.4 between the Moon and the Descendant; this number divided by thirteen gave me 7/65 or 0.107692307 to start my series of calculations. I can go over the exact numbers and calculations I used if it would be helpful.

After this I get completely lost. What do are you subtracting 2 hours and 35 minutes from?
Edit -
Wait, do you take away 2 hours 35 minutes from 15 December which is the 273 day? Then you would get late on 14 December 9.25pm, I think I got it.
It puts the Moon in Gemini which is good.

You've got it! ;)

I did one general calculation using midnight for the day you were born and another with the given time of birth, which alters the result by a few hours.

Now I have to gather my thoughts again for working out the next bit about the conception ascendant and how it relates to natal AC, I am not quite there with you yet because if you put the DC at 24 degrees in the natal chart the Moon is no longer below the horizon and the rules change that were used to make the calculation in the first place.

The main idea to remember is that the position of your natal Moon is the position of the Descendant in the Epoch chart, and the position of your natal Descendant is the position of the Moon in the Epoch chart. Since the Moon generally changes degrees and signs more slowly than the Descendant, I usually first calculate a chart in which the Descendant is at the same degree as the natal Moon and then look at the position of the Epoch Moon to determine the degree of the Descendant.

You don't have to worry about the Moon not being in the same position it was in your natal chart as long as the Moon equals the degree of your natal Descendant and the Descendant equals the degree of your natal Moon.

What is the calculation to get the time of 1.15pm on 15 December?

We divided 9 1/13 by 13 and subtracted this number from 273 days to receive 272 days 11/39, which corresponds to approximately 264 days, 6 hours, 46 minutes, and 9 seconds before you date of birth. I then used the date calculator to subtract this number from your date of birth--not from your exact date and time of birth.

This yielded a result of Wednesday, December 23, 1959 at 5: 13 :51 PM

This was still using the old birth time in which the Moon was about 9 1/13 away from the Descendant, though, which didn't yield a good result.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

Unfortunately, as much information as the article provides, it is at times confusing and vague in its description of instructions, so I have taken some liberty to use advanced calculations; please don't feel too bad about yourself, because the examples given rounded numbers from what I could observe.

I'd definitely go with this birth time; I trust the Animodar Method of Rectification more than I do the Tritune of Hermes, perhaps because it is easier to calculate, and the Sabian Symbols have never led me wrong before ;)

Usually it's a bunch of little clues that leads one towards one's true Ascendant, not just one method.

I'm curious about the Kepler method you have described; is this the feature of an astrology program in which you enter events and the program looks for activity around one of the angles?

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Thank you; I rather enjoyed your review and hope that the creators of the program will take your opinions into account when devising the latest version of your software. :)

As I mentioned earlier, the Animodar Method of Rectification gave me a late Pisces Ascendant and the Tritune of Hermes gave me a very early Aries Ascendant, yet the two times were within two or three minutes of each other--perhaps less.

I'm thinking about creating a new thread about how to rectify a natal chart using life events because this is the one method I really haven't tried yet. I much prefer techniques in which the steps are always the same, which isn't very Arian of me :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm hoping this thread may help others who wish to rectify their natal charts using the Tritune of Hermes. Hopefully, members can learn from all of my mistakes so they don't make them themselves! :p

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

I would be willing to help you by comparing the three birthtimes you have in my Kepler program and see which gets the highest score. Once we have some life events.

Thank you :)

However, a computer program is no substitute for an experienced Astrologer particularly skilled in rectification, that is if I could ever afford to pay one.
I can't even afford to buy books.

I can relate with you there, charmvirgo; I'm still in school and don't even have a part-time job yet, although I've started filling out applications.

I'm going to create the new thread now ;)

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to try to help you with the instructions from the Antiquus Astrology site, but if I have time this weekend, I will try to read through the article. Please send me a reminder because I've been bogged down with notes and exams lately.

Arian Maverick