Random Thoughts, strictly Text

leomoon

Opal:
My Mother was quite sensitive to racial issues. She did not allow certain words to be spoken.

The rhyme, that is how we learned it. Weird, that when I learned it, I had never met one, nor did I know what the word actually meant.

Quite a contrast from my family. Dad was racist moreso then mom. Grandmother from Quebec and her family very much so. Grandfather (American Indian, less so)

I chalk it up to different times, different cultures, etc.

Neither my sister nor I adopted their positions. To our benefit I might add. :pinched: My younger sister (by 3 years), grew up when the society was radically changing and never returned home except for money now and then and perhaps an occasional visit. She became a bona-fide Hippie living off the land, with what I'd say were cults. First in Oregon which was riddled with hippies in the forests? Then in California, and we lived in the East, the other side of the country.

One visit home, she bought a black hippie to my grandmother's house, and I can still see grandma sitting there on her rocking chair, with her mouth firmly glued into a half smile. It was quite rude of my sister knowing how my grandma felt. We don't have to agree with people, but we shouldn't be rude either when their minds are firmly made up (due to times and places and culture, such as she had being born in 1900 October (Scorpio Sun- Libra Moon)
Did she think she was accomplishing something that day or just wanted to put something in my grandmother's face to say to her visually, "Look at me, I'm better then you?" I have no clue, and never asked her that I recall now.

This was probably around 1966

Just one episode I recall vividly. It was "tense" but halfway cordial too. :crying:

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
The rhyme, that is how we learned it. Weird, that when I learned it, I had never met one, nor did I know what the word actually meant.

You seriously learned the "catch a n____" version? :andy:

You're only a decade or so older than me. Really, I never knew there ever was such a version, until I heard the flight attendant story.

In my childhood, it was "catch a tiger by the toe." My dad shared a version from his childhood (and he grew up white in the Jim Crow south!) that went, "Catch a robber by the toe. If he hollers, don't you cry, just telephone the FBI."

The n-word wasn't allowed in my house at all. And I lived in a racially diverse and pretty well integrated urban area. There was never a time when I didn't have friends, classmates, neighbors, etc. who were black, Asian, hispanic, and everything else.

Still, institutional racism creeps in. I've had to check my (white) privilege plenty.

AppLeo

Sometimes, I wish the coronavirus was actually a real plague so that maybe the world would change or become interesting. Either I’ll die or I’ll survive and my life will have a greater purpose and worth since 10 of millions of people will have died.

But no it’s the same old nonsense and the economy is trash

Osamenor

Staff member
Sometimes, I wish the coronavirus was actually a real plague so that maybe the world would change or become interesting. Either I’ll die or I’ll survive and my life will have a greater purpose and worth since 10 of millions of people will have died.

But no it’s the same old nonsense and the economy is trash

Why do tens of millions of people have to die for your life to have greater purpose and worth?

Seriously, if just a significant portion of the population of your community died, it wouldn't be anywhere near tens of millions, but the effect on you would be the same.

And that's assuming anyone has to die to give your life purpose and worth.

To put it in perspective, most of the ancient plagues were just local events, involving a population that numbered in the tens of thousands, or less, to start with. The late medieval Black Death was an exception, but even then, it was experienced on the local level. Global communication was not a thing back then.

Last edited:

AppLeo

Why do tens of millions of people have to die for your life to have greater purpose and worth?

Because it's hard to stand out in a post-industrial and crowded world. It's really easy to stand out in a tribe or a small town, but when you're in a city, not to mention on the internet, you're competing with the rest of the world. You feel small and meaningless. And you're existence only seems to prop up those on top while you kill yourself in the process.

Seriously, if just a significant portion of the population of your community died, it wouldn't be anywhere near tens of millions, but the effect on you would be the same.

And that's assuming anyone has to die to give your life purpose and worth.

To put it in perspective, most of the ancient plagues were just local events, involving a population that numbered in the tens of thousands, or less, to start with. The late medieval Black Death was an exception, but even then, it was experienced on the local level. Global communication was not a thing back then.

Well after the black death, workers were able to demand higher wages, they got more value for the work they produced since there were less of them. The black plague made way for the Renaissance, a new enlightened era. In many ways, the black plague did a lot of good for humanity, but at a huge cost.

I feel like this world needs another renaissance and phoenix rising from the ashes. The masses and culture has become rotten and deprived of values.

but whatever I could be talking nonsense
after all, this is random thoughts not good thoughts

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Because it's hard to stand out in a post-industrial and crowded world. It's really easy to stand out in a tribe or a small town, but when you're in a city, not to mention on the internet, you're competing with the rest of the world. You feel small and meaningless. And you're existence only seems to prop up those on top while you kill yourself in the process.

Well after the black death, workers were able to demand higher wages, they got more value for the work they produced since there were less of them. The black plague made way for the Renaissance, a new enlightened era. In many ways, the black plague did a lot of good for humanity, but at a huge cost.

I feel like this world needs another renaissance and phoenix rising from the ashes. The masses and culture has become rotten and deprived of values.

but whatever I could be talking nonsense
after all, this is random thoughts not good thoughts

Sounds like you are not satisfied with the current world. Maybe you want another world in the coming kingdom of God. This is the gospel. This world will also arise after a great tribulation exactly as you say. :smile:

Opal

Premium Member
You seriously learned the "catch a n____" version? :andy:

You're only a decade or so older than me. Really, I never knew there ever was such a version, until I heard the flight attendant story.

In my childhood, it was "catch a tiger by the toe." My dad shared a version from his childhood (and he grew up white in the Jim Crow south!) that went, "Catch a robber by the toe. If he hollers, don't you cry, just telephone the FBI."

The n-word wasn't allowed in my house at all. And I lived in a racially diverse and pretty well integrated urban area. There was never a time when I didn't have friends, classmates, neighbors, etc. who were black, Asian, hispanic, and everything else.

Still, institutional racism creeps in. I've had to check my (white) privilege plenty.

Yes, that is how I learned it. I have heard all except call the FBI line. In Southern Ontario in the farming communities in the 60’s, they still had what appeared to be slavery. Slavery is not a colour thing in the end, it is a class division. The haves and the have nots. There have always been the working poor, I think there always will be.

leomoon

The history of toilet paper rolls on and on! :lol:

I found something to add to this quote:
The History of Toilet Paper - (so rare today)

The Romans, in their communal toilets, shared a sponge on a stick
Communal Toilets in Ephesus built by the Romans near where St. Paul gave his speech warning people not to buy the silver deities:

click image to enlarge:

and later on:
The quality of the paper meant splinters were a common problem
https://www.historyextra.com/period...ore?&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=AppleNews

Ukpoohbear

Some people are saying the coronavirus is a weapon of war from China, who have largely recovered from it although I like David Starling's theory it is 5G related.

Ukpoohbear

I've been learning about final depositors and chart patterns. Both Mars and Pluto are the final dipositors in my chart. Does Pluto being one of the final dipositors makes me Plutonian? I don't look it.

Last edited:

david starling

Some people are saying the coronavirus is a weapon of war from China, who have largely recovered from it although I like David Starling's theory it is 5G related.

It could, theoretically be both a weaponized virus (the Chinese have accused the U.S. of doing it to them!), AND 5G. Because 5G weakens our immune systems, making us more susceptible to illnesses in general.