View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2011, 01:54 AM

Re: Barycentric/Heliocentric Astrology

Heliocentric and Barycentric models are very close to being the same thing. I consider the barycentric model more useful because it shows you which way the Sun is "leaning" around the barycentre. There are big differences, of course, between those two and the geocentric model, which is only concerned with how things look from Earth. It's understandable that some will be slow to move beyond that geocentric comfort zone. Just ask Copernicus.

In understanding the importance of looking at things from the Sun's point of view, we need to remember that the Sun is not concerned with what is happening on Earth. We live on Earth, of course, but the Sun doesn't. The idea is that the influence given to the Earth by the Sun depends upon the Sun's condition, not the Earth's condition. The Earth's condition might be descriptive of how that influence is received, but the Sun's condition determines the quality of the influence in the first place.

If we want to know about the reception of the Sun's influence on Earth at a given time and place, we would look to a Sun chart. That Sun chart will show how all the other planets are organised around Earth, effecting the reception of the Sun's influence. This is actually how lots (parts) work mathematically. The idea here is that the Sun is not an island that is far away and removed from all of its planets. The Sun is the centre of a system which includes its planets. Thus, the influence that the Sun transmits would be shaped by the organisation of the entire system. If we can know and understand both the transmission and reception of the influence from the Sun, we will be that much closer to fully accounting for the Sun's influence on Earth.

I will spend some time soon to make an example of a chart comparison. I'm sure it will prove both challenging and useful.