Jupiter and what makes us happy

NRodin

Mine is in my 5th House in Virgo. So getting attention for being able to help people in a practical way is pretty accurate for my life, along with working really hard at fine-tuning a creative art or job.

sadge

Jupiter is conjunct my ascendant and has rulership over 6 planets in my chart as well as my ascendant and part of fortune. "Happy" is not a word I would use to characterize myself. In fact, one of the first threads I created on this forum was entitled, "Why is Sagittarius associated with buoyancy and joviality" because I've never truly related to the merry making traits of Sagittarius and being an exemplar of the sign, it made me call into question the stereotype.

Anyway, what I do relate to is that I am extremely exploratory. I'm willing and able to go to places that people wouldn't dare to (or care to). All for the Sagittarian drive to gain wide ranging experiences and attain "the mysteries" of the world and beyond.

I've been flirting with a thought that this might be the basis of the feelings of "happiness" and it's relation to Sagittarius/Jupiter. Dopamine is a chemical related to feelings of positive emotion.

Astrologically, we see a lot of Jupiter here. Reward and motivation are the most known qualities related, but we also see sexual gratification and arousal (traditionally Jupiter was indicative of a highly sexed nature and I'm sure your familiar with the mythology of Zeus. Even lactation, which brings to mind Cancer and Jupiter's exaltation therein.

This paper I've encountered makes clearer of the connection I'm referring to.

http://ski.clps.brown.edu/papers/KayserExplore_NPP.pdf

We know astrologically that Jupiter/Sagittarius are associated with exploratory, strong belief in the self to tackle the world (the so call optimism), and gambling/taking risks. Well, this study shows the link between these traits and the dopaminergic systems in the brain. Having an internal locus of control sounds an awful lot like the self-belief that supposedly is a characteristic of Jupiterian behaviour, It even makes mention of dopamine and it's role in learning - a very integral part of Jupiter/Sagittarius' focus.

So, while happiness is not an emotion that I'm particularly buddy buddy with in my life, I do display/have a lot of traits that would characterise one with high dopamine levels.

Conspiracy,
May I see your chart? I may be able to offer an explanation. I am a fellow Sag stellium.

sadge

I'll PM you

OK. I won't be able to get to it today. It's not one of those interpretations that can be summed up in a cute one-liner so I'd rather look at it when I have the time to give my full attention, out of respect for anyone who shares a chart. But I get where you're coming from. Sag stellium. Pretty big energies for certain generations. Been there, doing that..

Blaze

Account Closed
Interesting. Is it same in both Placidus and Whole-sign?

Was wondering the same thing. The solitary effect sounds very 12th house - something I know very well.

As for my Jupiter....lol, its not really a Jupiter. It tries to be, but its just not. Looks nice on paper though! Nothing like looking at an exalted Jupiter.

Blaze

Account Closed
Wounded by Chiron?

Did you guess that one? If so, you're right on the money. But there is more.

Forgetting Chiron, it opposes Saturn and Squares Mars. Both of whom are in their domicile. Reception between my Jup and those two are akin to a two on one beat down. Though I suppose Mars would be the one getting tag-teamed by a duo who can't agree on anything (Jup and Saturn opposition).

Cheerfulness, laughter and faith aren't something I have. Can fake it, sure, but its never really there.

What would Chiron add to this?

!4C

Did you guess that one?
No, it was just a little chiron sarcasm.

What would Chiron add to this?
You can heal others through humor? :unsure:

Cheerfulness, laughter and faith aren't something I have. Can fake it, sure, but its never really there.
I'm always amazed by the number of comedians and clowns that claim to be tortured souls. Humor is only a means to vent frustrations.

Forgetting Chiron, it opposes Saturn and Squares Mars. Both of whom are in their domicile. Reception between my Jup and those two are akin to a two on one beat down. Though I suppose Mars would be the one getting tag-teamed by a duo who can't agree on anything (Jup and Saturn opposition).
Do you feel jinxed?

Phoenix Venus

I think jupiter is about expansion. When somrthing expands its collecting energy. I think in harmonious aspects its about seeking a certain energy whereas harsh aspects are about giving away. For instance venus trine jupiter would seek out gratifications or beauty. Mars conjunct jupiter would seek out dangerous situations whereas mars opposing jupiter might give out their drive.

Of course, these are very generalized generalizations.

What makes us happy depends on numerous factors.