Jupiter and what makes us happy

graay ghost

So I think I have told you before that you always really make me laugh---like laugh out loud when I see your wry retorts...

So I just now looked more closely at your chart, and I have the Moon @ 3 Cap also, and I have 21Taurus rising, also.

I also have a fixed grand square that fits closely to yours....:alien:

Anyway, not really earth shattering, but I think interesting that I totally get your sense of humor and it makes me laugh every time...:sideways:

Well, it was a serious question. Lin has a pretty solid grasp on English grammar but usually native speakers have a better understanding of the usage of the generic "you." It's definitely a subtlety that one could miss if it wasn't your first language.

Last edited:

craft94

The 12th wasn't pegged "House of Bad Daemon" for nothing.

I remember saying it but I forgot which thread too. it's what I notice in my chart reads. Another one that I see is Cancer in 3rd (with planets therein) seem to indicate someone with writing interests.

Cancer in the 3rd? That's interesting. Wouldn't expect that to be honest though if we're talking planets, I find just about any 3rd house planet to be an indicator of writing but sign and planets will determine the style and voice and genre of writing posibly. .

I'm a writer too and I have Leo in the 3rd, Mars. Mercury conjunct Sun in the 5th. I think Mercury in the 5th is an especially good placement for a creative writer to have. Leo in the 3rd might make someone use writing as a way to achieve fame. The Mars makes my writing very dramatic, expressive and forceful and Libra makes it easy to step into different characters' POVs.

Hmm but I would think that a 3rd house Cancer placement would be the more social side of Cancer. They express their Cancer qualities through the use of communication.

craft94

I kind of expect Cancer in 3rd is more of a moody lunarian artist, while 5 dotes on children and 10 is the fiercely protective one. I don't know.

I think Cancer in the 3rd might make one very protective of their brothers and sisters or they may need lots of communication in order to feel protected and cared for or maybe they get close to others very quickly.

craft94

Those are pretty good descriptors - I'd say 10th sign cancer placements might bring out the cardinal leadership that people think Cancers are incapable of.

I think all Cancer placements are pretty strong, regardless of house. Fiercely self-protective. Best liars of the zodiac. They know how to manipulate, for sure. This is why I, as a Libra, clash with them. But it is a strength. They make good businessmen. Donald Trump has 3 planets in Cancer: Mercury, and a Venus-Saturn conjunction. This doesn't surprise me. In the 11th house: politics?

Last edited:

graay ghost

Hmm but I would think that a 3rd house Cancer placement would be the more social side of Cancer. They express their Cancer qualities through the use of communication.

Water signs are mute. Therefore the communication that would be going on gets bottled up and transformed into more vague "expression". "I will express my feelings through interpretive dance" and the like. Though generally writing takes less effort.

craft94

Water signs are mute. Therefore the communication that would be going on gets bottled up and transformed into more vague "expression". "I will express my feelings through interpretive dance" and the like. Though generally writing takes less effort.

I'm not sure about that.. I mean... I agree that water signs are mute, that's why I generally don't get along with them, but HOW mute? Couldn't it depend on the house placement? And even non-verbal communication is still communication.

I believe Cancer is a social sign. Not in the same way that an air sign is. Cancers tend to be shy and silent, they withdraw into their shell, but they also need a 'home,' a 'family', to cling to, they generally like to support/be supported by others and I think with a 3rd house placement, they do this by communicating. They support/give support verbally, and their idea of a home/family is somewhere where theyre free to communicate as they wish without being abandoned... I would imagine.

graay ghost

I'm not sure about that.. I mean... I agree that water signs are mute, that's why I generally don't get along with them, but HOW mute? Couldn't it depend on the house placement? And even non-verbal communication is still communication.

Well yes it depends on house placement. I thought we were talking about Cancer in house 3, the house of communication?

Another thing to keep in mind is that people with watery 3rd houses probably have an Earth ascendant. The ascendant might not make them super expressive to begin with. And House 2 is likely to be an air sign...

Last edited:

Lin

"Well, it was a serious question. Lin has a pretty solid grasp on English grammar but usually native speakers have a better understanding of the usage of the generic "you." It's definitely a subtlety that one could miss if it wasn't your first language."

English is my native language. My learned language is Astrology.

Yes, people have the habit of saying "you" when they mean "I" or "me".

I unlearned this habit in a 12-step program. Because when anyone is sharing their experiences and they use the pronoun "YOU" it's like speaking for others. And the first rule of sharing experiences in 12-step programs is, "keep the focus on yourself."

Also by using "I" or "me" has a psychological benefit. One is "owning" one's own feelings and experiences.

But in this case the use of "you" was really off...because as I mentioned later in that post, MOST people DO get some kind of satisfaction after a job well done or after working hard at something.

LIN

conspiracy theorist

Cancer in the 3rd? That's interesting. Wouldn't expect that to be honest though if we're talking planets, I find just about any 3rd house planet to be an indicator of writing but sign and planets will determine the style and voice and genre of writing posibly. .

I'm a writer too and I have Leo in the 3rd, Mars. Mercury conjunct Sun in the 5th. I think Mercury in the 5th is an especially good placement for a creative writer to have. Leo in the 3rd might make someone use writing as a way to achieve fame. The Mars makes my writing very dramatic, expressive and forceful and Libra makes it easy to step into different characters' POVs.

I've seen it in a few cases but it's by no means exhaustive. My thinking is that the Moon and 3rd share an affinity through writing and that makes it easier or more attractive for a person with that config. to take up writing, at the very least as a hobby. Modernly, the Moon speaks about emotional expression and our "deep feelings" which writing helps to express. I know there were a few times in my life where I'd have insomnia, and the only time I was allowed to sleep was to spit out a few verses. I was barred from comfortable rest otherwise.

Just like other things in astrology, I'd expect that there would be many different ways that the charts to play out in order that an area of interest would come to the fore. A funny little thing I notice is that many of the active members on here have shown interests in writing, and that makes sense as forum posting, sharing of information/"self", communication, and writing are all linked to each other. We all seem to have active 3rd houses going on.

You have any samples of your writing that you're willing to share?

graay ghost

I've seen it in a few cases but it's by no means exhaustive. My thinking is that the Moon and 3rd share an affinity through writing and that makes it easier or more attractive for a person with that config. to take up writing, at the very least as a hobby. Modernly, the Moon speaks about emotional expression and our "deep feelings" which writing helps to express. I know there were a few times in my life where I'd have insomnia, and the only time I was allowed to sleep was to spit out a few verses. I was barred from comfortable rest otherwise.

Cancer is also extremely observant. All the water and earth signs look inward to an extent. I feel like people often forget that to make output you need input first.

One would not expect Cancer in third house to be primarily concerned with writing science fiction, and yet, here we are.

conspiracy theorist

Cancer is also extremely observant. All the water and earth signs look inward to an extent. I feel like people often forget that to make output you need input first.

One would not expect Cancer in third house to be primarily concerned with writing science fiction, and yet, here we are.

It's something I notice as well. I can think of many of the Cancer influenced people I know keep to themselves yet are still able to catch the little details that other people miss. They also have a good ability to pick up innuendo and implications. No need to spell it out for them.

An apt metaphor might be that Cancer is ruled by the fastest planet in the pantheon so they would be inclined to "soaking up everything" around them. If they have a talent for writing and are intelligent/original enough that's the right stuff for success.

With you, You do have an active 9th house going on as well which I wouldn't rule out completely in regard to science fiction. I mean, it is Capricorn ruled and your 3rd house ruler is cozily snug right in there.

Flapjacks

BTW, for anyone with prominent Virgo, part of happiness is knowing that life is in some ways, predictable and not chaotic.
Virgo is the "fixer" and Virgo is almost always happy when "fixing" something broken.

LIN

I would second this. I have Virgo Venus, and I am comforted by things like lists with checkboxes. As a kid, I used to map out my entire day on a notepad. :sick:

My partner has Moon in Virgo opposed Sun/Venus/Mercury conjunct in Pisces, square Saturn in Gemini. "Fixer" would be an understatement. He is systems-level obsessed fixer.

Just like other things in astrology, I'd expect that there would be many different ways that the charts to play out in order that an area of interest would come to the fore. A funny little thing I notice is that many of the active members on here have shown interests in writing, and that makes sense as forum posting, sharing of information/"self", communication, and writing are all linked to each other. We all seem to have active 3rd houses going on.

3rd makes sense for forum writing because of the day-to-day nature of that house and of posting in forums. 9th house could also be communications-heavy, but more broad. And of course, a prominent Mercury.

~

The back-and-forth about happiness on this thread keeps leading me back to the Oatmeal. What is Mr. Inman channeling, here?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/unhappy

Witchyone

I'd agree. My Jupiter is in Pisces in the 11th.

Things that make me happy:
helping people
spending quality time alone
spending quality time with my SO
spending quality time with friends/family
animals, just in general, all of them
nature
big ideas
new stuff I never heard before
reading
Yoga
art
the perfect temperature and mixture of wind and sun on my face
music music music

Edit: I also agree with other posters that Venus also plays a part. Mine is in Taurus in the 12th (see nature, music, sensual things above)

Witchyone

I would second this. I have Virgo Venus, and I am comforted by things like lists with checkboxes. As a kid, I used to map out my entire day on a notepad. :sick:

My partner has Moon in Virgo opposed Sun/Venus/Mercury conjunct in Pisces, square Saturn in Gemini. "Fixer" would be an understatement. He is systems-level obsessed fixer.

3rd makes sense for forum writing because of the day-to-day nature of that house and of posting in forums. 9th house could also be communications-heavy, but more broad. And of course, a prominent Mercury.

~

The back-and-forth about happiness on this thread keeps leading me back to the Oatmeal. What is Mr. Inman channeling, here?

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/unhappy

I really like that post of his, and I think it probably resonates for a lot of people.

I'm an emotional person, so it doesn't really resonate for me. I definitely experience highs and lows, and some of those highs are happiness. However, I agree with him that happiness as a state of being is temporary. I think contented, but not complacent, is the state of mind/soul I'd like to strive toward. I obviously love the bursts of joy and hate the bouts of anger and sadness, but they too have their uses.

And the flow he speaks of when you are doing something you love? I forgot to mention that specifically, but yes, that fills me with a very positive, content feeling, when I'm engaged in work that makes me forget where I am and the time.

david starling

I see Jupiter as a "big picture" Planet. Zeus/Jupiter was the premier Sky-god, supportively looking down from above. So, its placement in a House means being generally concerned about overall conditions in that Area of Life. Happiness results when things are going well, and conditions are generally improving. There's also a felt need for improvement, and happiness is contingent on the feeling that, despite setbacks, the storm will pass, and the winds of change will ultimately be blowing in the right direction. The trick is to not get too discouraged when you feel like you've been blown off course, or when you feel becalmed, and at a standstill.

Flapjacks

I see Jupiter as a "big picture" Planet. Zeus/Jupiter was the premier Sky-god, supportively looking down from above. So, its placement in a House means being generally concerned about overall conditions in that Area of Life. Happiness results when things are going well, and conditions are generally improving. There's also a felt need for improvement, and happiness is contingent on the feeling that, despite setbacks, the storm will pass, and the winds of change will ultimately be blowing in the right direction. The trick is to not get too discouraged when you feel like you've been blown off course, or when you feel becalmed, and at a standstill.

Happiness is freedom, to me. When one feels free, change can be accepted; the world as it is can be accepted. Jupiter also represents a lack of restrictions, and it follows as a planet of happiness that way.

Inman was describing Saturn, I think. Toiling but feeling accomplished. Being drawn to work, being compelled to go through pain to obtain some end result that one feels is important. Happiness is not the goal. It seems like that fact is what he was reacting against. He took issue with the assumption that happiness is a reason to act.

I have Jupiter in the 11th house, and I can safely say I have never been want for friends. If I want a friend, I can find one, and get along with most everyone (there was a period during heavy transits to Saturn where this wasn't true, however). I usually have the problem of too many friends and people I care about. Going to see good friends does lift my spirits and mood. That is true with a lot of people, but I think for me it can be especially unexpectedly good for me.

To help understand how Jupiter operates, watch Jupiter transits and how it cycles through the natal chart. You will notice patterns of good fortune where the winds blow in your direction, or periods where you become reckless, depending on what Jupiter touches.

SunW

I am curious to learn if it comes from his mother. He was born on a full Moon which means a stong influence of the Moon. And the Moon is in Virgo and has a square to Saturn. So, maybe it was his mother that was a fixed person.

With his Saturn in Gemini square Mercury, how is he with communication?

Flapjacks

I am curious to learn if it comes from his mother. He was born on a full Moon which means a stong influence of the Moon. And the Moon is in Virgo and has a square to Saturn. So, maybe it was his mother that was a fixed person.

His mother is an Aqua Sun (he has Jupiter in Aquarius). He speaks of her as always fighting to make their small town a better place, and running into a lot of opposition. A super high energy person; enthusiastic about life, strong personality. A playwright and professor. I find her intimidating, but only because she is hard to read and it is difficult to know what she is thinking.

Communication is a labor for him. He is very communicative, but worries over it, and so tries to perfect it. When he is stressed, he cannot finish a sentence. He restarts over and over because he cannot decide on the right words. He is a writer and poet. His ability to influence others with speech and writing is becoming more pronounced as he gets older. He has been teaching college students part time, and he is somewhat uncomfortable with how much they seem to latch onto his every word and take up his causes with more zeal than he intends. I tease him about becoming a cult leader. We have been working on publishing a book.

craft94

Yes. Privately. You still haven't added me on Skype!!

Flapjacks

Just to follow up on this, as we happened to discuss this directly; we were talking about his mother and her thought/communication style following Mother's Day. I said I find it difficult to communicate with her, but couldn't not put a finger on why, and he laughed and said I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

We came to the conclusion that she is very focused and narrow in how she processes information - he described her as an arrow. She reinforces a conclusion over and over (this contrasts with my mother, whom re-processes over and over, as if she forgot she already thought about it. She comes to a different conclusion and then denies she ever stated the previous conclusion. She has Mercury in Scorpio square Saturn in Leo).

He said that his mother's stubborn, laser focused attention might be why he is so careful about how he articulates himself and why he feels he needs to be as accurate and complete as possible when he finally speaks.