How to decrease pride

conspiracy theorist

If you were an Indigo, you would know and identify with most traits. It usually kind of clicks with people - or it doesn't.
Indigos are often accused of being proud or arrogant, but it is actually more like they know certain things and can be very sure of themselves. They also often have an awareness of their own power and their divine nature, and this can be mistaken as pride or arrogance by others who don't understand them.

You know of any legitimate Indigos I can get in touch with? or maybe they have some videos online or some kind of footprints I can track? Words can only do so much and nothing more; I might have to experience one to get a better understanding of them.

Rawiri

You might want to get even more specific than "pride" when you set about tinkering. The more defined something is, the easier you can grab on and work with it.

From what you say...I honestly don't see a problem. I presume you are just generally being wise.

Would you take business advice from a multimillionaire businessman who made his fortune in the concrete business if you were going into the same business yourself? If so, there's probably no major problem...

Maybe I'm not a good judge though, since I'm similar in a way. If I'd continued to follow others (admittedly well intentioned) advice I'd have been found dead in a bed with a bag around my head.

muchacho

It's me folks.

I'm very proud, as well as stubborn and "borderline arrogant" (said by someone I know). It doesn't outflow in an obvious way; I've done a pretty good job of not being known as an insufferable blowhard. BUT, anyone who gives me direct instruction or "advice" tells me that I'm too stubborn and I don't listen to them. I'm not bothered if 9/10 people think this way about me, but both of my parents within a week of each other stated as much about me, independent of any communication I might add. I also have an irrational belief in my own invulnerability and even in the dead of night, I like to stroll to my destinations although the majority of people advise against it(my country isn't safe)

To be honest, I see a lot of positives in these qualities but I'm concerned of the negatives. I don't want to be the type of person who disregards good counsel because of some immature need to remain independent, but I also don't want to be directed by anyone but myself in regard to the direction of my life. There is also the fact that having humility keeps your options open in life, as you perceive the value in even the "lowest" situations which can be capitalized on accordingly.

Anyway, I'm asking on possible solutions on how to decrease pride; some actionable ideas that can be implemented. Whether of a spiritual or mundane type I will look into.

Thanks all
Using whole sign houses, Sagittarius rising, with Mars, Jupiter and Sun in the 1st - that's like an impossible combination for humbleness! You are a born performer, maybe even the clown in class or at work. You love the limelight. Trying to become humble will make you very very unhappy. Just be your natural usual exuberant self and spend more time with people who appreciate that and less time with people who are annoyed by that.

kahtiel

I hope you don't mind a newbie chiming in. Although I don't know if I'll be much help because I have a stubbornness problem as well. I hope I don't come off as harsh, I think you're definitely moving in the right steps. :smile:

I also have an irrational belief in my own invulnerability and even in the dead of night, I like to stroll to my destinations although the majority of people advise against it(my country isn't safe)

Part of this may be youth. The brain doesn't finish growing until about 25 years old. It seems like you are still working on your reward system since your planning sounds like it's probably fine. A quote from the article I linked above, talks about how an active rewards system causes "adolescents and young adults [to be] more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations."

I don't want to be the type of person who disregards good counsel because of some immature need to remain independent, but I also don't want to be directed by anyone but myself in regard to the direction of my life.

A quote I've been trying to keep in mind that sort of touches on this: “Only fools and dead men don't change their minds. Fools won't and dead men can't.”
It doesn't hurt to hear what others may be saying and be open to it, since it really comes down to showing respect to that person. Throwing all advice away is foolish, as is accepting all advice; It just comes down to considering the pros and cons. Part of being humble would be knowing that someone else may be more knowledgable/experienced about something than you.

For instance, if I am better than someone at something, especially when empirical proof is involved, saying to myself "No, this person is just as good as me" would be indulging in false pride, which I actually think is another manifestation of pride through reaction formation.

You don't even have to compare yourself because we all have our strengths and limitations. It would be a lie to say they were just as good if they weren't, but there are often other things that they did well. For example, in a sports game there are winners and losers. The ones that lost didn't do as well, but maybe they continued to play with heart and didn't give up. It's something to admire and appreciate as a strength. Notice the strengths in other people.

I've actually begun trying to listen to people more. I can feel the internal resistance in my gut every time I give people any "space" in my mind. I'm working on making that sensation a little less dominating.

The big part of humility is looking outwards towards others and being less egocentric. It all comes down to respecting others and acceptance of not only them, but also that you yourself can make mistakes and aren't perfect.

david starling

C.t., there's a huge difference between being well-balanced and "self-located", which is how you ARE, and being narcissistic and "self-centered", which is NOT how you are.

chris10

It's me folks.

I'm very proud, as well as stubborn and "borderline arrogant" (said by someone I know). It doesn't outflow in an obvious way; I've done a pretty good job of not being known as an insufferable blowhard. BUT, anyone who gives me direct instruction or "advice" tells me that I'm too stubborn and I don't listen to them. I'm not bothered if 9/10 people think this way about me, but both of my parents within a week of each other stated as much about me, independent of any communication I might add. I also have an irrational belief in my own invulnerability and even in the dead of night, I like to stroll to my destinations although the majority of people advise against it(my country isn't safe)

To be honest, I see a lot of positives in these qualities but I'm concerned of the negatives. I don't want to be the type of person who disregards good counsel because of some immature need to remain independent, but I also don't want to be directed by anyone but myself in regard to the direction of my life. There is also the fact that having humility keeps your options open in life, as you perceive the value in even the "lowest" situations which can be capitalized on accordingly.

Anyway, I'm asking on possible solutions on how to decrease pride; some actionable ideas that can be implemented. Whether of a spiritual or mundane type I will look into.

Thanks all

The fact that you are on here discussing this shows that you are not as arrogant as you think.

So, how to decrease pride? Tough one.
Generally speaking, exercising humility helps;
realizing that we are all Human and that we all die no matter how beautiful, smart or rich we are.

It depends.

What are you proud of ?
What makes you arrogant?

aquarius7000

Hi,

To your question:
How to decrease pride
Astrologically speaking, going by your chart, the Saturn in Pisces generation begs for some sensibility in (self) illusion, and that Saturn-Merc. asks for mature thinking and humility. As you can see, Saturn linked to all of the above points clearly at what your karma should be.

Mars at the forefront is often the cause for a big fall some time in life. Mars in Sag. can lead to a know-it-all and all-to-daring attitudes easily. So, watch it. You don't want that Sag. (fiery) Mars to get the better of you and keep fanning those flames, just the way it is doing so for Trump - Leo (fiery) Mars also bang on the Asc.

I think another problem could be that Aqua Moon that could make you seem too aloof by nature, especially as you don't have much earth or water in your chart to balance it. That Sag. and Aqua combo, along with Sun-Pluto can make you seem aloof and very opinionated with a big ego. However, that could be self-destructive (Sun-Pluto). Good though that you are aware of it. And, parents don't lie, so pay heed to what they say!

ynnest

It's an idea that is supported by the buddhists (correct me if I'm wrong) who claim that this is the age of 1,000 buddhas, that is evolved spiritual beings coming to Earth to act as a counter- force for the darkness of this age.

Actually there where 144000 souls of light who came here a very long time ago to hold the frequency during the luciferian rebellion. These souls are still here now when the earth is returning to original creator god again and the duality war is over.

Y

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

You might want to get even more specific than "pride" when you set about tinkering. The more defined something is, the easier you can grab on and work with it.

This thread has been really good in helping me contemplate the issue more thoroughly. Pride might not be the best fit after all, but something akin to a mixture of presumption, foolhardiness, judgmental disregard with a lack of remorse and mulishness. A lot to unpack but that's the business that I concern myself with.

From what you say...I honestly don't see a problem. I presume you are just generally being wise.

Would you take business advice from a multimillionaire businessman who made his fortune in the concrete business if you were going into the same business yourself? If so, there's probably no major problem...

One thing that I think I have a knack for is listening to the right people and picking good teachers. I attribute this to the strength of my Jupiter, also known as Guru. But even in the back of my head I doubt even the most expert -- but as you say and I agree, that's just practicing good sense.

Maybe I'm not a good judge though, since I'm similar in a way. If I'd continued to follow others (admittedly well intentioned) advice I'd have been found dead in a bed with a bag around my head.

Hmm, yeah. A lot of people like to run their mouth about your situation. That's where my skepticism and stubbornness serve me well. I've actually been very fortunate to always get pretty decent advice on here, and this isn't the first time I've expressed a problem on AW either.

conspiracy theorist

Using whole sign houses, Sagittarius rising, with Mars, Jupiter and Sun in the 1st - that's like an impossible combination for humbleness! You are a born performer, maybe even the clown in class or at work. You love the limelight. Trying to become humble will make you very very unhappy. Just be your natural usual exuberant self and spend more time with people who appreciate that and less time with people who are annoyed by that.

lol I see why you'd say that Muchacho. But the way my Sagittarius energy manifests is not in the stereotypical class-clown way (in my current environment I'm actually not known for being particularly "exuberant" although many see me as unorthodox)

My Sagittarius manifests in my quest for gnosis and enlightenment. This means that purifying myself of tendencies that get in the way of this ultimate goal ranks higher on my hierarchy than any shallow or "personality" trait that would get in the way of this. I am a self confident person no doubt about that, but if that confidence tips into pride then that's liable to get me ****** in the long run. I also acknowledge that I can get very complacent (remember that thread) and both complacency and pride are a recipe for disaster. Hence, my vigilance of both.

conspiracy theorist

Hey Kahtiel, I don't mind at all.

Part of this may be youth. The brain doesn't finish growing until about 25 years old. It seems like you are still working on your reward system since your planning sounds like it's probably fine. A quote from the article I linked above, talks about how an active rewards system causes "adolescents and young adults [to be] more interested in entering uncertain situations to seek out and try to find whether there might be a possibility of gaining something from those situations."

Could be youthfulness although I'm not totally convinced. I've always been able to control myself long enough to achieve some semblance of discipline in my life (although not to the level that I want it to be). For one, I've been working jobs since I was 15 and I've not had a negative comment about my work ethic from then.

Being a risk taker as only the result of youthfulness also doesn't seem to be that compelling to me either, especially because many of the greats in the world did a lot of their groundbreaking work post age 25.

A quote I've been trying to keep in mind that sort of touches on this: “Only fools and dead men don't change their minds. Fools won't and dead men can't.”
It doesn't hurt to hear what others may be saying and be open to it, since it really comes down to showing respect to that person. Throwing all advice away is foolish, as is accepting all advice; It just comes down to considering the pros and cons. Part of being humble would be knowing that someone else may be more knowledgable/experienced about something than you.

The big part of humility is looking outwards towards others and being less egocentric. It all comes down to respecting others and acceptance of not only them, but also that you yourself can make mistakes and aren't perfect.

You're not wrong here.

You don't even have to compare yourself because we all have our strengths and limitations. It would be a lie to say they were just as good if they weren't, but there are often other things that they did well. For example, in a sports game there are winners and losers. The ones that lost didn't do as well, but maybe they continued to play with heart and didn't give up. It's something to admire and appreciate as a strength. Notice the strengths in other people.

The comparison isn't to anyone extrinsic to me. It's totally a measuring of the ideal that I am working towards. Like I've stated in a previous comment, due to what I want to achieve a more stricter attitude to my faults is what I deem necessary to dilute there grip on my progress. Even though I don't practice modern astrology, I know how much I'm sounding like my Sun-Pluto conjunction.

conspiracy theorist

The fact that you are on here discussing this shows that you are not as arrogant as you think.

So, how to decrease pride? Tough one.
Generally speaking, exercising humility helps;
realizing that we are all Human and that we all die no matter how beautiful, smart or rich we are.

It depends.

What are you proud of ?
What makes you arrogant?

How's it going Chris?

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that "not as arrogant as you think" is not good enough for me. There is still something deep in there that I want to root out before I am satisfied.

The death comment is relevant as I've begun looking into meditating on death. A more open attitude toward life and people are supposed to be the result from it; I'll find out if it holds any water.

What am I proud? I honestly have a lot to be proud of.

What makes me arrogant? Believing too much in my own competence and abilities which hasn't come to bite me in the *** as much as it could have.

conspiracy theorist

Hi,

To your question:

Astrologically speaking, going by your chart, the Saturn in Pisces generation begs for some sensibility in (self) illusion, and that Saturn-Merc. asks for mature thinking and humility. As you can see, Saturn linked to all of the above points clearly at what your karma should be.

Mars at the forefront is often the cause for a big fall some time in life. Mars in Sag. can lead to a know-it-all and all-to-daring attitudes easily. So, watch it. You don't want that Sag. (fiery) Mars to get the better of you and keep fanning those flames, just the way it is doing so for Trump - Leo (fiery) Mars also bang on the Asc.

I think another problem could be that Aqua Moon that could make you seem too aloof by nature, especially as you don't have much earth or water in your chart to balance it. That Sag. and Aqua combo, along with Sun-Pluto can make you seem aloof and very opinionated with a big ego. However, that could be self-destructive (Sun-Pluto). Good though that you are aware of it. And, parents don't lie, so pay heed to what they say!

I don't pay much attention to that Mercury Saturn square, but it does have definite influences on my thinking. It helps, alongside Saturn's other amendments, to counterbalance all the fire of my chart and keep me on my toes. That and T. Saturn on my asc makes this a good time to get some perspective. It's not the sexiest thing to desire, but I don't give a ****.

Yes, my Mars. Quite the mystery as it hasn't done me any harm thus far. But there is one chart analysis on the web that shows that Someone's Mars didn't kick his teeth in until his seventies so plenty of time for the Martial reversal to occur. Something tells me though that I'll be able to weather it with prowess.

Me? Aloof? Preposterous. It's actually one of the traits that I like about myself and I've gotten better at managing this part of my character. Parents lie all the time, but this time I took there convergence to do some introspection. Thanks for helping it along Aq7000.

muchacho

lol I see why you'd say that Muchacho. But the way my Sagittarius energy manifests is not in the stereotypical class-clown way (in my current environment I'm actually not known for being particularly "exuberant" although many see me as unorthodox)

My Sagittarius manifests in my quest for gnosis and enlightenment. This means that purifying myself of tendencies that get in the way of this ultimate goal ranks higher on my hierarchy than any shallow or "personality" trait that would get in the way of this. I am a self confident person no doubt about that, but if that confidence tips into pride then that's liable to get me ****** in the long run. I also acknowledge that I can get very complacent (remember that thread) and both complacency and pride are a recipe for disaster. Hence, my vigilance of both.
That would be the higher developed type of Sagittarius. However, about the complacency thing, having Jupiter conjunct Sun and Mercury myself, I can tell you that the default Sagittarius/Jupiter mindset is to expect things going well in general and there's an attitude that life is supposed to be easy and fun instead of hard and a struggle as your environment, your parents and teachers and gurus usually tend to suggest. That goes against the very nature of Sagittarius/Jupiter people. You can't fight your own nature. All my life I had people who believed in the virtues of struggle try making me feel guilty because I usually got it the easy way, without much effort or worry which looked to them like pure chance or luck. What they didn't see though was that I certainly was 'lazy' in the physical action sense, I wasn't 'lazy' at all in the mental action sense, because I naturally spend a lot of time planning and dreaming and playing things out mentally before I get into any physical action. And so things naturally unfold a lot smoother that way. And it took me quite a while to understand this. Maybe your complacency issue is of a similar nature. And about the pride issue, I'd just focus on false pride instead pride per se or else your next problem will be false humbleness, hehe. :biggrin:

Last edited:

david starling

That would be the higher developed type of Sagittarius. However, about the complacency thing, having Jupiter conjunct Sun and Mercury myself, I can tell you that the default Sagittarius/Jupiter mindset is to expect things going well in general and there's an attitude that life is supposed to be easy and fun instead of hard and a struggle as your environment, your parents and teachers and gurus usually tend to suggest. That goes against the very nature of Sagittarius/Jupiter people. You can't fight your own nature. All my life I had people who believed in the virtues of struggle try making me feel guilty because I usually got it the easy way, without much effort or worry which looked to them like pure chance or luck. What they didn't see though was that I certainly was 'lazy' in the physical action sense, I wasn't 'lazy' at all in the mental action sense, because I naturally spend a lot of time planning and dreaming and playing things out mentally before I get into any physical action. And so things naturally unfold a lot smoother that way. And it took me quite a while to understand this. Maybe your complacency issue is of a similar nature. And about the pride issue, I'd just focus on false pride instead pride per se or else your next problem will be false humbleness, hehe. :biggrin:

What's your 12th House situation?

chris10

How's it going Chris?
Busy as always :annoyed:

Yeah, I'm starting to realize that "not as arrogant as you think" is not good enough for me. There is still something deep in there that I want to root out before I am satisfied.
Your ''flaw'' bothers you and you want to improve yourself. You're on your way to enlightenment.

The death comment is relevant as I've begun looking into meditating on death. A more open attitude toward life and people are supposed to be the result from it; I'll find out if it holds any water.
I don’t know if this would interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VHv1OeeLAY
Such videos may help keep our 'pride' in check.

What am I proud? I honestly have a lot to be proud of.
Self confidence is a good trait I believe.

What makes me arrogant? Believing too much in my own competence and abilities which hasn't come to bite me in the *** as much as it could have.
You'll get over that as you mature :cool:

conspiracy theorist; Post #1 said:
Well, the truth is some people are more gifted than others. You could decrease pride by realizing that your talent/intelligence endowed upon you are gifts which may have been given to you to help others less fortunate than yourself. Be grateful for what you have, show your gratitude, put yourself in others’ shoes before speaking and acting.

Your thread brought to mind Akiane. Read about her. Inspiring!!
If you don’t have much time just check
10.30 – 13:50 and 26.20 - 31:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5uN3B2YXWM

conspiracy theorist

I see you're beginning to let on about some of your chart...

Sounds like you've traversed a fortunate path, my own life has felt similarly breezy, although I'd say it has much to do with my attitude than anything else. I've gone through the regularities of human life; death, rejection, conflicts, loss, pain, poverty, austerity -- the works. And based on the path that I wish to carve for my life, the worse is yet to come. None of this has shaken me deeply enough to break me.

I'm not physically lazy, in fact I currently work on cars during the weekend. (it really helps to keep me grounded when you bare in mind my other interests). But I can definitely relate to that ability to mentally apprehend situations and come up with the steps before diving in.

Point taken on the false humbleness. I find that worse than false pride because at least in the latter case that tendency is obvious. The former is much more insidious.

conspiracy theorist

Busy as always :annoyed:

Such is life in the classroom

Your ''flaw'' bothers you and you want to improve yourself. You're on your way to enlightenment.

I don't think it's much of a "flaw" as opposed to a flaw. It feels good fulfilling my natal promise.

I don’t know if this would interest you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VHv1OeeLAY
Such videos may help keep our 'pride' in check.

Interesting video. It brings to memory a book I read back in high school called Life before Life. Ironically I'm taking steps to "Talk to that light" that that same doctor is alluding to. I'm certain that there will be some who don't believe this but it is possible for your consciousness to leave your body whilst in deep states of meditation.

An interesting little thought I had while watching to was how modern astrologers attribute Pluto and Scorpio to near death experiences and doctors (or healers) and the whole expose was about people dying in emergency room to immediately experiences NDEs.

Another book that might be of interest to anyone who has interests in alternative and thought-provoking views on reality that is separate and apart from the materialist-scientific paradigm can read the Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot.

Well, the truth is some people are more gifted than others. You could decrease pride by realizing that your talent/intelligence endowed upon you are gifts which may have been given to you to help others less fortunate than yourself. Be grateful for what you have, show your gratitude, put yourself in others’ shoes before speaking and acting.

Gratitude has been coming up a lot lately in my life. I do desire to make my mark on the world and develop my skills to the highest they can possibly go. That's why undertaking the cleaning of my "vehicle" is important to me.

Your thread brought to mind Akiane. Read about her. Inspiring!!
If you don’t have much time just check
10.30 – 13:50 and 26.20 - 31:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5uN3B2YXWM

I was only peripherally aware of her. A child prodigy, eh? And it's not like Beethoven or Mozart who were forced into their fields at a tender age either. It does give some indicators of prior knowledge of this world, doesn't it.

david starling

Simplistic, but....think about what would INCREASE your self-pride level, and don't do it! On the other hand, maybe it isn't self-pride at all, but a desire to impress someone else, possibly even someone you haven't yet met, but somehow know you will.

Last edited: