The Art of the Opposition

Most astrology sources seem to delineate the "opposition" aspects as being no more than stressful and problematic in a negative way, and impossible to merge. I cannot understand why this is, as the best philosophical sources stress the generative power that opposites are able to manifest when they co-operate and give to one another - Matter and Spirit, Yin and Yang, Male and Female.

There was one book on astrology I read some time ago titled "Divine Love Astrology" (very nice read) which had the feature that it always took into account and significance the meaning of the opposing sign in understanding the first - explaining the zodiac as 6 pairs of signs, rather than 12 individual signs. It was stressed that in order for one sign to function at it's best, it must learn to co-operate with the attitude of the opposite sign.

For example, Taurus is in one sense the sign of personal possessions, and Scorpio in the same sense is the sign of other's possessions; Taurus hordes and holds on to what is has in order to possess, while Scorpio gives out what it has in order to see a return on it's investment and gain more. In order for Taurus to gain more possessions, it must adopt the attitude of Scorpio and be willing to fore-go the illusion of permanence and loosen the grip on what it has, so that it may gain more in the future. In order to have Taurus must first give and take, in the Scorpion sense. In order for Scorpio to value what it has at all beyond what they could gain from it (that is, beyond what it is worth to others), it must adopt the Taurus mentality of attachment and appreciation for beauty. In order to give and take, Scorpio must first have, in the Taurean sense.

Just as the masculine and feminine are always to be found within each other, the qualities of one sign are always found to be the motivating and nourishing forces of the opposing. All this being said, shouldn't the opposition aspect be one in which the opposing points can work well together and feed one-another, if properly handled? Shouldn't the opposition aspect operate similarly in power to a conjunction when taken positive advantage of? (In the same way a sextile would to a trine?)

Last edited:

waybread

Beautifully stated.

I have a somewhat different take on oppositions. I have several in my chart.

I agree with your statement, "in order for one sign to function at it's best, it must learn to co-operate with the attitude of the opposite sign." But it's more than the sign. the nature of the opposing planets is super important.

The opposition often works like a see-saw, where one planet gets favoured at the expense of the other. Although the suppression of a planetary energy can be permanent, it's common for the person to vacillate between the two.

I think the key to working with one's oppositions is to find how they can work in a productive partnership. For example, Mars wants to jump out of airplanes, but Saturn teaches the discipline necessary to become a sky diver. Jupiter has big dreams, but Mercury works out the details.

I think the current LGTBQ movement is teaching us that the old gender binaries (male/female) need to be re-thought.

miquar

Hi

Tracy Marx's book on T squares has quite a lot about how opposite signs complement one another.

I think that all aspects based on even numbers have to do with challenging the subjective sense of self, and oppositions do this in a particularly straightforward manner. Two is about division, and these aspects highlight the division between self and other (though this is generally only noticeable with the opposition square). With the opposition we tend to experience the planets as polarised with respect to one another; and although we may identify with one more than the other, we experience the tension both ways. For example, a Mars Saturn opposition is experienced as a Mars confronted by the Saturnian function of others and at the same time a Saturn frustrated by the Martial function of others. In order to ease the tension, there is a need to own the disowned stuff - to expand the subjective sense of self.

Even after this easing has occurred to a large extent, the dynamic polarisation inherent in the opposition remains, and there can be a tendency to use the opposing planets together by partnering up with others. The projection (and thus blame and defensiveness) has largely gone, but there is still a tendency to enter into polarity with someone else in order to get the most out of the opposition aspect.

Some people with strong oppositions, including strong placements on the descendant, talk to themselves a lot - presumably because they need to create that polarity inside when it is not to be found with another. Others are particularly prone to imagining conversations with others, especially if there is a strong attraction or sense of resentment for some reason.

Best wishes

Miquar

kimbermoon

I think of them as 'polarities' that are in need of some kind of adaptability or compromise in order to reach a balance.

Starsareround

My oldest son has exact Sun opposite Moon, in Leo/ Aquarius. I guess it might be the obvious choice for him to reject the Moon in favor of the Sun (is that how it works?), but I see him as kind of a diplomat in this world of oppositions. He's always sensible and fair (usually!) reflecting innate maturity.
One of my oldest friends also has Sun/Moon opposition and she holds a very similar place of peace and diplomacy in her relationships. Is this from that integration of opposites that keeps the natives from aligning themselves too closely or consistently with one side?

Somna7H

Banned
Similar.
By younger bro Moon opposite Sun(taurus 9th/scorpio 3rd). He his quiet diplomatic when comes to relationship but he doesn't express his emotions much. He got moon opposite Saturn too.

Somna7H

Banned
I have Uranus Rx Opposite my Asc(Taurus).
Mercury (Cancer 2nd) Opposite SN.
Neptune Opposite Moon.
Neptune Opposite Venus.
Neptune in Sag 8th and Moon/Venus in Gemini 2nd.

I have no idea which side should I go. :unsure:

love-thinking

Most astrology sources seem to delineate the "opposition" aspects as being no more than stressful and problematic in a negative way, and impossible to merge. I cannot understand why this is, as the best philosophical sources stress the generative power that opposites are able to manifest when they co-operate and give to one another - Matter and Spirit, Yin and Yang, Male and Female.

There was one book on astrology I read some time ago titled "Divine Love Astrology" (very nice read) which had the feature that it always took into account and significance the meaning of the opposing sign in understanding the first - explaining the zodiac as 6 pairs of signs, rather than 12 individual signs. It was stressed that in order for one sign to function at it's best, it must learn to co-operate with the attitude of the opposite sign.

For example, Taurus is in one sense the sign of personal possessions, and Scorpio in the same sense is the sign of other's possessions; Taurus hordes and holds on to what is has in order to possess, while Scorpio gives out what it has in order to see a return on it's investment and gain more. In order for Taurus to gain more possessions, it must adopt the attitude of Scorpio and be willing to fore-go the illusion of permanence and loosen the grip on what it has, so that it may gain more in the future. In order to have Taurus must first give and take, in the Scorpion sense. In order for Scorpio to value what it has at all beyond what they could gain from it (that is, beyond what it is worth to others), it must adopt the Taurus mentality of attachment and appreciation for beauty. In order to give and take, Scorpio must first have, in the Taurean sense.

Just as the masculine and feminine are always to be found within each other, the qualities of one sign are always found to be the motivating and nourishing forces of the opposing. All this being said, shouldn't the opposition aspect be one in which the opposing points can work well together and feed one-another, if properly handled? Shouldn't the opposition aspect operate similarly in power to a conjunction when taken positive advantage of? (In the same way a sextile would to a trine?)

I believe I watched a really good astrologer who said signs 8th to each other, beside eachother, and square to eachother are the most conflicted.

So squares and inconjunctions(keep in mind the orbs), should be the most stressful aspects. The oppositions can be stressful but usually opposite signs attraction to eachother overpowers or tolerates any sort of friction they have. For example, taurus wants to possess you and will be territorial, but scorpio wants to posess and have the greatest effect on your mind, soul, and even your body(but also all the unique things about your body). They both have the same goal, but approach it a little differently.

So while an opposition is far worse than a conjunction, an opposition is in fact better than all of the things I stated earlier.

Secondly I have noticed the way oppositions operate is this: Let's say it's another planet in opposition to your luminary, you're going to vividly embody the traits of the planet your luminary/personal planet is in opposition to but usually it is a negative manifestation especially at an earlier age.

My moon opposites pluto and although, I barely have pluto in aspect to anything else in my chart except for a sextile to mercury, I can relate to the dark side of scorpio videos. And yes I've tried to grow from these traits, and have so, let's just say vengefulness is never a foreign feeling.

I think you'll almost always have to go through something karmic and learn a lesson with oppositions.

ardentika

Beautifully stated.

I have a somewhat different take on oppositions. I have several in my chart.

I agree with your statement, "in order for one sign to function at it's best, it must learn to co-operate with the attitude of the opposite sign." But it's more than the sign. the nature of the opposing planets is super important.

The opposition often works like a see-saw, where one planet gets favoured at the expense of the other. Although the suppression of a planetary energy can be permanent, it's common for the person to vacillate between the two.

I think the key to working with one's oppositions is to find how they can work in a productive partnership. For example, Mars wants to jump out of airplanes, but Saturn teaches the discipline necessary to become a sky diver. Jupiter has big dreams, but Mercury works out the details.

I think the current LGTBQ movement is teaching us that the old gender binaries (male/female) need to be re-thought.

What you described is true for literally all aspects. The square sounds more like what you explained. When two planets are square they try to dominate each other initially rather than work in a team play. That's why they are harder lessons to learn and take much more time.

Oppositions on the other hand isn't exactly what you explained imo. It's more of a gentle push and pull that happens more regularly during short periods of time. A planet square another might dominate the other planet for months. While the opposition is a constant motion of back and forth communication between both of the planets involved.

I prefer opposinion much more than a trine or sextile. I also don't understand why hard aspects have negative notion. Why no one says that trines and sextiles can be EXTREMELY lazy and produce no results at all..

And the LGBT community has nothing to do with this topic , please don't go there. The OP was talking about how we all habe masculine and feminine energy within us and how the ultimate goal is to balance that. This has nothing to do with sexual preferences.

yuriv

Had also add, that the opposition is a zone of intensity/illumination. In which one planet takes on the role of yin - the intense planet, while another is the yang - the facilitating planet. A bit like a full moon phase i seem to think of it. I think the key is to understand the role each planet is playing in the opposition and possibly if they switch roles too.

SCP11

I've been following the moon the past few days

When moon was inconjunct pluto, it's been much more noticeable and volatile
The day the moon was opposite pluto, it was much less eventful

I wasn't expecting that, normally you'd think, "Oh no, moon opposite pluto, brace yourself" because it seems like an opposition is a 'face to face' disagreement... based off the transits lately, i think it's actually more like an inconjunction produces a weird angle i.e. an uncomfortable one
Definitely uncomfortable things happened when moon inconjunct pluto

But an opposition produces a straight line, which seems more harmonious just looking at the shape of the aspect, and maybe more easy to navigate, it's less like something is getting in your way to purposefully disrupt, and more like, there's decisions and things to weigh out... but you're being given room to do that at an easy pace

waybread

What you described is true for literally all aspects. The square sounds more like what you explained. When two planets are square they try to dominate each other initially rather than work in a team play. That's why they are harder lessons to learn and take much more time.

Oppositions on the other hand isn't exactly what you explained imo. It's more of a gentle push and pull that happens more regularly during short periods of time. A planet square another might dominate the other planet for months. While the opposition is a constant motion of back and forth communication between both of the planets involved.

I prefer opposinion much more than a trine or sextile. I also don't understand why hard aspects have negative notion. Why no one says that trines and sextiles can be EXTREMELY lazy and produce no results at all..

And the LGBT community has nothing to do with this topic , please don't go there. The OP was talking about how we all habe masculine and feminine energy within us and how the ultimate goal is to balance that. This has nothing to do with sexual preferences.

Whether an opposition is easy or difficult, really depends upon what planets we're talking about. Venus opposite moon? No problem. Saturn-Pluto opposite sun-Mars? This is not a gentle push-pull. (Ask me how I know.)

It is really helpful, however, when a third planet trines one member of the opposition and sextiles another. If not natally, by transit or progression. With the square, you cannot get this kind of helping effect.

It may be a digression for this particular thread, but clearly the old gender norms of what is feminine and what is masculine are being turned on their heads nowadays; with real implications for conventional astrology. If by "feminine" we mean certain qualities, and if by "masculine" we mean their opposites, this kind of binary is unhelpful to real people. (Yes, I know about yin-yang and traditional astrology's division of signs into male or female.)

harfbuzz

My natal chart contains oppositions - Mars/Uranus Pluto/Moon/Chiron.

What I bear in mind is something that Magi-Astrology states, that the birth chart is all good for the individual, that is without transits, or meeting anyone, or leaving a job, or starting a job etc .. and the charts involved that these events have or the charts that organisations have and the interactions of the organisations charts with the natives chart, the birth chart is all good for the native - there are no problems.

The problems can occur (of course) from the interactions with all I have mentioned.

Those with oppositions - dont you feel good with yourself? Are you not comfortable with what you have?

waybread

It sure improves with age. It's hard for a younger person. As I matured and gained more life experience, I developed more confidence. As a senior, I can now look back on my life and see that most of it turned out fine.

katydid

I have noticed that a lack of oppositions can be more detrimental than having a few.

Natives with no oppositions sometimes lack 'objective.' They may have a harder time seeing the bigger picture and understanding the 'other' point of view.

Often there is a lack of vision or lack of inclusion in their overall attitude. It can become a more narrow minded approach to life, without oppositions in the chart to broaden one's horizons and open one up to opposing arguments and beliefs.

Domna

I have a fair amount of oppositions in my chart. The tightest is Mercury opposite Neptune and I feel I've successfully merged those energies. I am a very intuitive thinker. In the past I've been confused by sometimes not being able to see the logic in my intuitive leaps, but I've grown to trust them regardless. That particular opposition has a mediator through both ends making a friction free aspect to the Moon though. That probably helps.

With oppositions in general I think there'll always be a bit of push and pull, but that just gives perspective and a potential for reaching a compromise between energies that are usually polarities. What katydid says above about "seeing the bigger picture and understanding the 'other' point of view" makes a lot of sense to me.

Tandy

Banned
If you don't like hearing the other side of things, you probably don't like people with oppositions. On the same token, even Libras with a lot of Libra and no oppositions can be interolerble because they only see every side of everything and they really have no firm stand on who you are or what you are about.

harfbuzz

If you don't like hearing the other side of things, you probably don't like people with oppositions. On the same token, even Libras with a lot of Libra and no oppositions can be interolerble because they only see every side of everything and they really have no firm stand on who you are or what you are about.

I agree, I am always doing it, seeing all angles. I have a friend who suggests that I should be doing this, or that, or the other, to which I reply yeah but what about this, that and the other - all flaws in her ideas, or reasons to procrastinate - to which see says 'you think too much!!