Indirect Resources and Career Vocations

James Williams

In reading Jerry King's book, Four Pillars of Destiny: The Ten Gods Handbook, I came across the following on pages 31-32...

Four Pillars of Destiny charts of those who "dislike indirect resources would have characteristics where one would like to learn many things but tends to be unsuccessful in any single field; in Chinese, many would label this type of person as 'having many knives but none of which are sharp.' These people would always have second thoughts about what they want to do in their career and business. They may end up constantly learning new things and struggling to find their objectives in life."

Here is the BaZi chart of a client who fits this description. Please notice that his indirect resource is yin earth, which is located both in the Month Stem and the Month Branch, which of course is located right next to the Day Pillar, thus making it very powerful...:wink:

Year Pillar: Yang Metal Rat
Month Pillar: Yin Earth Ox
Day Pillar: Yin Metal Rooster
Hour Pillar: Yang Earth Rat

So if you have a client who is experiencing much indecision or difficulty in finding what s/he wants to do in life vocationally, or is constantly wanting to change vocational direction, please take a look to see if their BaZi chart contains some powerfully placed Indirect Resources!

:smile:

JUPITERASC

In reading Jerry King's book, Four Pillars of Destiny: The Ten Gods Handbook, I came across the following on pages 31-32...

Four Pillars of Destiny charts of those who "dislike indirect resources would have characteristics where one would like to learn many things but tends to be unsuccessful in any single field; in Chinese, many would label this type of person as 'having many knives but none of which are sharp.' These people would always have second thoughts about what they want to do in their career and business. They may end up constantly learning new things and struggling to find their objectives in life."

Here is the BaZi chart of a client who fits this description. Please notice that his indirect resource is yin earth, which is located both in the Month Stem and the Month Branch, which of course is located right next to the Day Pillar, thus making it very powerful...:wink:

Year Pillar: Yang Metal Rat
Month Pillar: Yin Earth Ox
Day Pillar: Yin Metal Rooster
Hour Pillar: Yang Earth Rat

So if you have a client who is experiencing much indecision or difficulty in finding what s/he wants to do in life vocationally, or is constantly wanting to change vocational direction, please take a look to see if their BaZi chart contains some powerfully placed Indirect Resources!

I'm wondering HOW a person would 'dislike' their 'Indirect Resources'...Very interesting, thank you! :smile:

James Williams

Yes, I at first wondered the same thing, lol! But then I remembered that English is not the native language of Jerry King, and perhaps a more accurate rendering here would be, "Four Pillars of Destiny charts of those who contain Indirect Resources may have characteristics where..."

I have seen this type of wording in all of Jerry King's books, and it seems rational to conclude that this is primarily due to English not being his native language.

I hope this makes sense...

JUPITERASC

Yes, I at first wondered the same thing, lol! But then I remembered that English is not the native language of Jerry King, and perhaps a more accurate rendering here would be, "Four Pillars of Destiny charts of those who contain Indirect Resources may have characteristics where..."

I have seen this type of wording in all of Jerry King's books, and it seems rational to conclude that this is primarily due to English not being his native language.

I hope this makes sense...

Thanks for the clarification! :smile:

James Williams

King goes on to write, "In order to maximize results and achieve success by having the Indirect Resource as the favourable element, it is ideal that these people take up an alternative approach to their careers. For example, careers in arts, religious studies, astrology, magic, and so forth are some of the careers that a person can consider, particularly if Indirect Resources is the Useful God in the birth system" (ibid., pp. 27-28).

Interestingly, this particular client has explored careers in some of these areas!

And it may be too that Jerry King could use the word "unfavorable" rather than the word "dislike" in the above original post in this thread. Thus, something like...

Four Pillars of Destiny charts of those whose unfavorable element or god is Indirect Resource "would have characteristics where..."

JUPITERASC

...So if you have a client who is experiencing much indecision or difficulty in finding what s/he wants to do in life vocationally, or is constantly wanting to change vocational direction, please take a look to see if their BaZi chart contains some powerfully placed Indirect Resources! :smile:
Interesting as well that many contributors on our forum seem to be experiencing the indecision you refer to... :smile:

byjove

Account Closed
Yikes, that is an awful term to be applied! Jack of all trades...much smoke, no fire...etc.

I don't understand what's happening in that case; there are multiple strengths but none of them get mastered? How? Can the native not use missing elements to recoup balance?

James Williams

Yes, JUPITERASC and this is an ASTROLOGY forum, lol! Maybe some will take up a career in magic or religious/spiritual studies!

Last edited:

James Williams

Yes byjove, I thought the same thing too--Jack of all trades, master of none!

This particular client whose BaZi chart I posted above changed majors in college around a half-dozen times if I remember correctly...and it is rare in his Four Pillars of Destiny chart that it contains no fire or no wood! Just earth, metal, and water!!! Very uncommon...

James Williams

He currently is working as a caregiver, but a couple of years ago completed an online certificate in becoming a Pharmacy Technician. But soon after that he said he really could not see himself in that type of career; he just got the certificate because it is an up-and-growing and presently in-demand vocation. He also is a certified Reiki master, which I don't believe he is currently utilizing much of either...

James Williams

Regarding him using the missing elements of wood and fire to recoup balance, that is an interesting topic! Some BaZi practitioners would certainly advise that, while other BaZi practitioners would suggest he utilize more of the elements he does have--especially the strong water and metal...

JUPITERASC

He currently is working as a caregiver, but a couple of years ago completed an online certificate in becoming a Pharmacy Technician. But soon after that he said he really could not see himself in that type of career; he just got the certificate because it is an up-and-growing and presently in-demand vocation. He also is a certified Reiki master, which I don't believe he is currently utilizing much of either...
Nevertheless, there are possible advantages to being flexible in terms of acquiring a wide variety of 'qualifications' rather than - to use what for westerners is currently an apt seasonal analogy - 'putting all one's eggs in one basket' in terms of 'one career prospect' :smile:

James Williams

Yes, JUPITERASC, I agree--his eggs certainly fill up more than one basket, lol! I believe he mentioned that he is glad that he has all of these "qualifications" to fall back on if he should ever feel the inclination or need...but I get the impression he is hesitant to follow his passion(s), most likely because of the uncertain economy, if I remember our conversation correctly...

James Williams

Interestingly--and not surprisingly--at age 62 he begins a 10-year Luck Cycle of Yang Fire Monkey, in which one of his missing elements, Fire (sunlight, fame?!), comes to the forefront, and at the same time in his Vedic astrology chart, he begins the 20-year Venus dasa period in Vimsottari Dasa! And Venus is exalted in Pisces in his Vedic astrology natal chart! Thus, it appears that he is a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak!

JUPITERASC

Yes, JUPITERASC, I agree--his eggs certainly fill up more than one basket, lol! I believe he mentioned that he is glad that he has all of these "qualifications" to fall back on if he should ever feel the inclination or need...but I get the impression he is hesitant to follow his passion(s), most likely because of the uncertain economy, if I remember our conversation correctly...
Current 'uncertain economy' favors few! :smile:
Interestingly--and not surprisingly--at age 62 he begins a 10-year Luck Cycle of Yang Fire Monkey, in which one of his missing elements, Fire (sunlight, fame?!), comes to the forefront, and at the same time in his Vedic astrology chart, he begins the 20-year Venus dasa period in Vimsottari Dasa! And Venus is exalted in Pisces in his Vedic astrology natal chart! Thus, it appears that he is a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak!
62 is definitely considered a 'late bloomer' - however, given that the Sun our planet Earth orbits is currently traveling at 40,000 miles per hour while Earth itself orbits that Sun at 60,000 miles per hour ... JMO anything is possible!!

James Williams

Here is another similar example, this time a female...

Year Pillar: Yin Metal Ox
Month Pillar: Yang Metal Tiger
Day Pillar: Yang Fire Horse
Hour Pillar: Yin Water Snake

Please notice again, that like the first example above, the Indirect Resource in this chart is located in the Month Branch, which powerfully sits right next to the Day Pillar.

This lady, despite having two University degrees, currently works cleaning houses, walking dogs, and is a physical fitness trainer!

JUPITERASC

Here is another similar example, this time a female...

Year Pillar: Yin Metal Ox
Month Pillar: Yang Metal Tiger
Day Pillar: Yang Fire Horse
Hour Pillar: Yin Water Snake

Please notice again, that like the first example above, the Indirect Resource in this chart is located in the Month Branch, which powerfully sits right next to the Day Pillar.

This lady, despite having two University degrees, currently works cleaning houses, walking dogs, and is a physical fitness trainer!
Many University Graduates are unable to find employment in the field appropriate to their qualifications. Quite why is debatable... although currently the world wide financial challenges and financial 'austerity' both are having a clear impact on job prospects :smile:

James Williams

Many University Graduates are unable to find employment in the field appropriate to their qualifications. Quite why is debatable... although currently the world wide financial challenges and financial 'austerity' both are having a clear impact on job prospects :smile:

Yes indeedy, how true! And this is true for both young University graduates, and old. The lady whose chart is just above is currently 52 years old...but again, like the male in the first chart, they would "have second thoughts about what they want to do in their career and business. They may end up constantly learning new things and struggling to find their objectives in life."

And both of them have at least one Indirect Resource god in the Month Pillar in their Four Pillars of Destiny charts!!!

Very, very interesting!!!:wink:

JUPITERASC

Yes indeedy, how true! And this is true for both young University graduates, and old. The lady whose chart is just above is currently 52 years old...but again, like the male in the first chart, they would "have second thoughts about what they want to do in their career and business. They may end up constantly learning new things and struggling to find their objectives in life."

And both of them have at least one Indirect Resource god in the Month Pillar in their Four Pillars of Destiny charts!!!

Very, very interesting!!!:wink:
So, despite their increasing age, these two people, at the ages of 52 and 62 respectively - may, by making use of this 'Indirect Resources' technique - nevertheless find their 'niche' in life, albeit as 'late developers'.... i.e. better 'late' than 'never'!!

Also then, those who are just beginning on their career path or are perhaps in the process of completing their education may find a clearer way, strewn with fewer 'obstacles' to achievement by gaining a deeper understanding of this very helpful Chinese astrology method :smile: