Unaspected Planet?!

david starling

I would say that your Merc has important essential dignity by Sign, but is disengaged in the Natal-chart unless activated by transits and SRs.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I use wide orbs at the first look at a chart. I give Sun 17°, Moon her 24-hour motion, and planets 10°.

That way I don't overlook an important wide-orbed aspect.

Back in the day aspects were by sign, not degrees of separation.

Here's an example of why I begin examination of a chart allowing wide orbs...an actual chart.

Moon in Aquarius 9th in 13° applying opposition Saturn Leo 4th. [Note: Moon is received by Saturn, Saturn in exile in Moon's natural house. The opposition perfects in angular houses, gains prominence.]

I tell the native, "At age 13 your mother goes to a distant land, leaving you with heavy obligations in the home." The actual story: Mom abandoned the family, ran off to Canada with another man. The native was the eldest, had to assume the duties of mother.

I was told by other astrologers that I was using orbs so wide that I was including directed aspects. Not so. The Moon was swift and reached the aspect within 24 hours. And besides the event at age 13, all the usual character traits accompanied the aspect.

Had I not used the wide orb, I would have entirely missed a seminal event in the life. Abandonment by the mother brought what may have been latent inherent traits to life: distrust of females, feelings of isolation and abandonment, unfulfilled needs for emotional security and nurture...belonging. This was pertinent at the time of the interview because native and his wife were separated and heading for divorce.
In your chart, Mercury receives Jupiter

...and the chart as a whole has few close aspects.
So I allow the wide Mercury-Jupiter square.
Astrology allows for a creative approach.
Interesting highlight that the chart as a whole has few close aspects :smile: