How can we know if a 'big' year is coming from the Solar Return chart?

helike13

Hello!

What I should look for in the Solar Return chart if I want to know if it will be a significant year with life changing events ahead?

conspiracy theorist

Something you could try is to weigh the solar return against other timing techniques, the more reinforcement of similar themes across the different methods may result in a higher intensity/frequency of that type of event occuring for you in the year.

Apart from progressions and solar returns (and transits of course), you have many timing techniques out there. Some are firdaria, ages of man, circumambulation through the bounds, directions and zodiacal releasing from the lots of spirit and fortune.

I'll use an example from my own life to illustrate what I'm talking about.

My current Solar return (beginning on November 28, 2019) has a full 2nd house - Sun, Moon and Jupiter in Sagittarius. Sagittarius is both on the 2nd house cusp and is the 2nd sign.

Prior to this SR, other timing techniques indicated focus on the 2nd house. Earlier in the year, in the progressed chart was a new moon on the 29th degree of Sagittarius (natal 1st house, cusp of 2nd sign although not yet in the new sign). This P. New Moon will mark a 28 year period. Shortly thereafter, Moon progressed into Capricorn, the 2nd sign natally. Moon will remain in this sign for another 2 1/2 years. By Mid-September the progressed Sun also entered Capricorn and will remain in this sign for another 30 years. Progressed Jupiter is currently at 27 Sagittarius, so in a few years time it will also be entering Capricorn.

Thus far we are seeing a lot of emphasis on the 2nd house, so we can expect immense activity in regards to the signification of that house for the time periods outlined, but is there more testimonies that speak to this area of life's prominence?

You may or may not be aware of zodiacal releasing. I'll provide a link that gives a general overview of the timing the technique.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/tonylo...9/a-brief-overview-of-zodiacal-releasing/amp/

In the example I will be looking at zodiacal releasing from the lot of spirit. This lot is in regard to actions one takes in the world, including professional output. In zodiacal releasing, there are four levels which correspond to years, months, weeks and days. The years allotted to each sign is based on the minor years of the traditional 7 planets. In level 1 (years) and level 2 (months). These years are not subdivided as they are in the rest of years. Currently in level 1 I am in a Sagittarius period, which will last for 12 years. As of July 25, 2019 I entered into a Capricorn period in level 2 (this will last for 27 months). Capricorn and the 2nd house emphasized again.

Not so funnily enough, transits are also emphasizing Capricorn as Jupiter, Saturn and Pluto are currently in the natal 2nd sign. Jupiter and Saturn will eventually perfect a "grand conjunction" in the sign which will begin a cycle of 20 years.

Solar return of 2020 will see Capricorn rising, with Saturn, Jupiter and Pluto at the ascendant. Based on the timing techniques covered, this will merely be a continuation of events that have originated from a earlier time. This year will also be a 2nd year profection, doubly emphasizing the planets transiting Capricorn.

Is it safe to say that the events of the 2nd house will be heavy, prominent and intense for the year? I would say sure.

Today the transiting Sun has just ingresses to Capricorn, which is within a degree of MC ruler Venus and exactly conjunct progressed Sun. Today I have plans that are of a particularly 2nd house nature, that if executed will set the tone for what transpires henceforth. What I do today is in service to the greater cycles going on in my life.

Going back to your question, see what else is happening in your chart using other techniques, and if you see some heavy duty patterns emerging then you can be confident that you are approaching a significant period of your life, in the sphere of life being emphasized.

Last edited:

helike13

Hi...

You may or may not be aware of zodiacal releasing. I'll provide a link that gives a general overview of the timing the technique.

Yes it's like the Vimshottari Dasha system in Vedic.

Funny enough that I'm about to 'Loosing of the Bond' both on POF and POS.

02e51eed22b42e200b50ef55f344e4ad.jpg

d7c39a2132d99867358e8daf1a969bf1.jpg

It may be a significant of something big :)

conspiracy theorist

Interesting, next year you will be experiencing an LB of Fortune to the sign Pisces, which emphasizes Jupiter. Natal Jupiter is located smack on the descendant, and with the current transits in Capricorn, that is two testimonies that you're going into a busy 7th house period - which may excite you. Eros is a specialized lot for relationships/romance. What will you be experiencing with regard to that?

What profection year are you currently in? How does your current SR stack up against these other timing techniques? I'm surprised you haven't posted your chart in the thread yet.

Just a sidenote, when level goes to Capricorn in 2021 (means a 7th house period, emphasizing not only Jupiter but the Mars/Saturn conjunction in the 5th sign) almost simultaneously Venus will enter your sign of Eros.

Also note significance does not say "good" or "bad". But emphasis and greater activity.

One more thing. Next year when you turn 36, not only will you be in the thick of a Jupiter return but through planetary years you will also go into a significant Jupiter year (the planetary years for Jupiter are 12, 12+12+12 yields 36). This again emphasizes Jupiter on the 7th house cusp.

Last edited:

helike13

My Jupiter Return is a few weeks from now :)

means a 7th house period, emphasizing not only Jupiter but the Mars/Saturn conjunction in the 5th sign

Is it because Saturn is the ruler of the 7th?

Since I have a diurnal chart Jupiter is my best friend but he's debilitated :(

Release for Lot of Eros doesn't show up anything special... One thing I noticed that it was the same day when LOE went into Pisces than LOS went into Gemini on Level 2...

503f46c43119345a392e6f16fe4ee563.jpg

In my current SR chart I have Sun conjunct Moon in 4th near the IC and Aquarius ascendant. Mars conjuncts my natal Ascendant in SR 5th house with a not really partile conjunction to LOE.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

You mentioned in a previous post that zodiacal releasing is similar to the Vimshottari Dasha system in Jyotish, but if Dashas have a western half-brother it would be Firdaria. Here's a link for you - https://firdaria.com/

Is it because Saturn is the ruler of the 7th?

Since I have a diurnal chart Jupiter is my best friend but he's debilitated

Yeah, Saturn's rulership of the 7th makes him just as emphasized as Jupiter in the period. Mars' close connection to Saturn in your chart indicates that whenever Saturn is triggered by the times, he is never too far away.

The malefics have a lot of say in the significations of your 7th and 5th houses - Saturn's rulership of the 7th, Mars rulership of the 5th, Mars and Saturn's bodily placement in the 5th sign in a dexter sextile to Jupiter in Capricorn, who's naturally beneficial nature is heavily influenced by both the rulership of Saturn and the aspect from the Mars-Saturn conjunction. Jupiter in fall adds to the picture, limiting the natural expansiveness of the planet.

The mixture of good and bad placements does describe the fact that you were able to be married (Jupiter in the 7th), yet one that you've described as limited and unsatisfactory (malefics afflicting). Marriage with a foreigner is soundly shown in your chart, with Jupiter ruling the 9th sign/house.

Two things, have you noticed anything in the relationships department starting from the end of October of this year? And could you provide the dates when you met your wife and the period when you got married? That may provide a clue as to what planets are important with regard to relationships, as a way to confirm that the covered planets and signs are actually relevant for you in that sphere of life.

helike13

This is getting more exciting :)

Marriage with a foreigner is soundly shown in your chart, with Jupiter ruling the 9th sign/house.

It sounds obvious :)

Two things, have you noticed anything in the relationships department starting from the end of October of this year?

Yes, I noticed. Although my relationship dept. is set in stone with very little chance for major change I noticed something which isn't very significant at the moment but maybe it will fold out in the future.

On Oct 8, 2019 my old college crush (back in Hungary) messaged me out of the blue on FB. She is facing a surprisingly similar situation with mine. She's also 35yo like me. She's married to a Japanese man and a mother of two. She is currently in an abusive relationship which she can't find a way out of since she's on spouse visa in Japan so if she files a divorce she will have to leave Japan and move back to Hungary so she will lose her children (her children are Japanese citizens). They married in 2011 but moved to Japan during the summer of 2014 so about the same time as I moved to Malaysia. My situation is similar but I don't have any children. If I run away I will lose my business and my source of income and maybe end up as a homeless in Hungary :)

Very similar situation and the timing strangely matches. Very odd....

I met my wife in September 2013 and we got married on Apr 26, 2014 when transit Pluto hit my descendant and transit Jupiter and progressed Venus hit my ascendant. I landed in Malaysia on Jun 25, 2014 when my Aquarius period started on Level 2.

I noticed that the LB will throw me back into the sign before these events happened. So will I go back to my Saturn Return period? Are there some things unsolved which have to be settled?

conspiracy theorist

You'll be intrigued by the patterns found in 2013, which seem to vindicate what we covered previously.

First off, by profection you would be in your 29th year. That makes it a sixth house year, which for you falls in the sign of Sagittarius. This indicates that Jupiter is an important time lord for the year, activating his significations. We've mentioned already how important Jupiter is with regard to your spouse. Note that as a result of Jupiter's activation you will also see a focus on the 7th house (bodily placement) and 9th house (Pisces, rulership)

Solar Return of 2013, without change of the birth location. I personally don't change the birth location for solar returns, contrary to popular belief I don't think it's a requirement for accuracy.

Ma2NDfb.png

Initially I had to check if I selected the solar return option because of how similar this year's chart is to your natal. Another way that a solar return indicates a significant or "big" year, is if the 1st house of the natal also rises in the SR. The Saturn return that you were in the midst of shows up in a mirroring of its natal placement, as it rules the 7th house and is located in the 5th house of Scorpio.

What really gets me in this chart is the placement of the ascendant ruler, Moon. It's location is in the 9th sign and on the last degree of Pisces. You could not find a more poignant symbol for a permanent transition overseas. The 12th house stellium which includes the solar luminary is also another testimony of travel/displacement.

There is more to the year. Here is the lunar return for the month you met your wife.

kRuVBJS.png

See what we have here? It was a 7th house month, for both the year and by natal correspondence. A dignified Moon-Jupiter conjunction is found on the descendant, in this chart Moon rules the 7th and Jupiter assumes a similar place as it does in the natal. Saturn is notably emphasized by being the most elevated planet, and we are aware that in your case Saturn is significant for relationships.

What about the month you got married to her?

ZIlCClC.png

Yes, this is a different chart. Uncanny right? Once again we see the exact same Moon-Jupiter conjunction gracing the 7th house in the month you got married. This time we see a minor, but still personally significant difference with the planets at the MC. In your natal, Mars and Saturn are in conjunction in the 5th, indicating their importance for you in the realm of romance. If you look closely, you would notice that the MC degree is at the midpoint of Mars/Saturn. There were some ancient astrologers who attributed the 10th house to marriage, which has validity when you see what kind of role marriage plays in the societal/social status context.

On your 30th, Saturn was prominent for a few reasons. The profection year was a 7th house year, which means that the sign Capricorn was in focus. This again activates Jupiter, which rules 6th and 9th. The planetary years given to Saturn is 30, which means that this year is significant for Saturn and what it represents in your chart. And of course, you were in the middle of a Saturn return.

Saturn and Jupiter are all over your 29th and 30th year, and this seemed to have corresponded with a lot of changes in your life, not only with regard to your life but in other ways that fit the symbolism of these "societal planets". For instance, a marriage and a business certainly gives one a more respectable image/status in the eyes of society, and the responsibility involved in both require a maturity that the first Saturn return is ideally supposed to inculcate.

petosiris

Banned
Hello!

What I should look for in the Solar Return chart if I want to know if it will be a significant year with life changing events ahead?

First, we must note that common sense in prediction of rank, marriage, begetting of children etc. is to be made between infants, adults and elders. For Moon rules infancy, Mercury rules childhood, Venus rules adolescence, Sun rules early adulthood, Mars rules middle adulthood, Jupiter rules late adulthood, and Saturn rules elderhood, and they predominate the events in these ages. Universal astrology by nationality and region also takes precedence with different economies, religions and customs, the average age for marriage for example varies quite a bit by country.

Second, we must note that there is no beneficent or maleficent planet that is ruler of everything on the same occasion, for usually many contradictory events take place at the same time - one may for example receive promotion and advancement in career, yet become misfortunate in marriage or be prostrated by illness, another may become the parent of children, yet nothing significant happen in his career or to his health, etc.

Thus we must observe the Ascendant for body and travel, the Sun for dignity and marriage for women, the Moon for mind and marriage for men, the Lot of Fortune for wealth and property, and the Midheaven for actions, children and friendship. We must observe the placement of the luminaries with respect to the universe and the nativity, and of the lot with respect to the nativity, and their predominators with houses, exaltations, triangles, terms and aspects - Jupiter and Venus help, Saturn and Mars harm, Sun, Moon and Mercury cooperate with either group. - https://i.imgur.com/boCas8X.png

Third, we must note the placements of the predominators, for when they are powerful with respect to the universe (in their own degrees and morning direct) and with respect to the nativity (in the 1st, 2nd, 10th or 11th), their effects are stronger to do good in the case of Jupiter and Venus, bad in the case of Saturn and Mars, and to increase the effects of either group in the case of Sun, Moon and Mercury. In the opposite way, the inoperative planets with respect to the universe (in their fall or in degrees of planets of the opposite sect and evening retrograde) and with respect to the nativity (in the 3rd, 6th, 9th or 12th) have weak effects. The operative planets in between these two extremes have moderate effects. This is how you see if the year is big for good or big for bad in the solar revolution, provided that you factor also the general chronocrators indicated by primary directions, the transits of Saturn and Jupiter, which cooperate, and of course the indications of the nativity itself, which can all indicate intensification or relaxation of these effects.

Fourth, we may note that morning (preceding the Sun) and eastern (in the 4th, 5th , 6th, 10th, 11th and 12th houses) planets have their intensification within the first three months of the solar revolution, and within the first week of the lunar revolution, when they are evening and western, within the last three months of the solar revolution, and within the last week of the lunar revolution, if they are morning and western, or evening and eastern, their intensification lies within the middle six months of the solar revolution, and within the middle two weeks of the lunar revolution. The luminaries intensify in the first or second halves respectively.

Last edited:

helike13

Thanks for your insights.

It's crystal clear that my 29th and 30th year was a very sharp turning point in my life.

I personally don't change the birth location for solar returns, contrary to popular belief I don't think it's a requirement for accuracy

That time (on my 29th and 30th birthday) I lived in my birthplace so the charts are accurate.

Actually I noticed that in my 2022 Solar Return chart that the Moon will return to her natal degree. Since I'm a Cancer ASC she's the ruler of the horoscope.

Does that indicate a "new beginning"?

conspiracy theorist

Actually I noticed that in my 2022 Solar Return chart that the Moon will return to her natal degree. Since I'm a Cancer ASC she's the ruler of the horoscope.

Does that indicate a "new beginning"?

If by new beginning, you mean a dramatic change from previously ongoing events, then not exactly. But I do notice that both the solar return Moon and Mercury are conjunct their natal counterparts. Now would be a good time to post this article about return charts, notably Dorotheus-style returns where planets in the revolution are treated more like transits than self-contained charts in their own right.

http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/astrological-predictive-techniques-returns-hellenistic-basics/

Notably for your moon question, here is rule 5 from the article -

5th Rule: The Natal and Return Moon are Particularly Important
The house of the return Moon is a focal area, as are return planets reaching the house occupied by the natal Moon. The Moon is particularly important for health. Overall, the idea is that the return Moon with benefic natal planets shows good things,while with malefic natal planets shows bad things. It is similar when return benefics and malefics reach the place of the natal Moon.

Dorotheus notes many miscellaneous indications for the Moon. The return Moon with natal Mercury shows work pertaining to the signification of natal Mercury. Solar return Moon in natal 1st can show health danger. The solar return Moon in natal 10th shows public events which are good or bad in accordance with influence of benefics and malefics. Return Moon in natal 7th shows success over enemies. Solar return Moon in natal 4th shows secret matters and/or success with writing a will.

Overall, these four whole sign places, also called the angles or stakes of the chart (the 1st, 10th, 7th, and 4th), give indications regarding important life matters. For instance, take one born with Pisces rising and Saturn as the out of sect malefic in the natal 10th (Sagittarius). The Moon transiting in Sagittarius in the return could be indicative of some difficult public event, and even of health problems pertaining to cold or depletion.

According to this we see how return Moon in the natal 1st is an indication for health danger. Do we see any other indications for the year that speaks to this?

The 38th year is a solar year (Planetary years for Sun is 19. 19+19 = 38). The Sun is your life-force, showing a second testimony with regard to health. Bearing in mind that the Sun in your chart is in the 12th sign, this again may be testimony to "negative health".

In the solar return, also notice that the out-of-sect malefic Mars is in a dominating square to natal 1st house. It is in the location of the return 8th house. A 3rd testimony for danger to health.

ETA: SR ascendant ruler Mercury is dominated by a square from Saturn coming from the 6th house. Saturn rules 6th in the return.

There is a more obvious focus to the year. Based on the various techniques that we've touched on so far, would you be able to spot this?

Last edited: