Random Thoughts

conspiracy theorist

I was going to mention that Sagittarius is described as winged in Hellenistic astrology.

Interesting discussion. I noted when I did an unfocused look at the charts of astronauts that I saw a prominence of Sagittarius placements (tropical). The degree of flight is also supposedly 5 degrees Sagittarius, but I don't know where the origin of that came from.

petosiris

Banned
I was going to mention that Sagittarius is described as winged in Hellenistic astrology.

Interesting discussion. I noted when I did an unfocused look at the charts of astronauts that I saw a prominence of Sagittarius placements (tropical). The degree of flight is also supposedly 5 degrees Sagittarius, but I don't know where the origin of that came from.

Where did you read about the 5th degree of tropical Sag? There is no winged constellation there.

conspiracy theorist

Nothing in a book. It was a long time ago and it strikes me as one of those degree meanings that are come by "mysteriously" but I vaguely remember something about its prominence in important milestones for flying.

conspiracy theorist

The degree of flight reminds me of the supposed astrologer degrees, which occur at 10-12 Virgo, 25-29 Leo and 22-28 Aquarius. This is untested trivia that I've picked up on my expeditions, although my moon falls in those degrees of Aquarius. Hooray for me.

petosiris

Banned
The degree of flight reminds me of the supposed astrologer degrees, which occur at 10-12 Virgo, 25-29 Leo and 22-28 Aquarius. This is untested trivia that I've picked up on my expeditions, although my moon falls in those degrees of Aquarius. Hooray for me.

There are some lucid degrees at the end of tropical Scorpio that are associated with astrologers in Liber Hermetis (1-5 sidereal Scorpio), people on skyscript were talking about astrologers having placements in those, and I noticed I have the Moon there, at the same degree as Vettius Valens (not joking).

Degree trivia are fascinating, but usually not consistent enough on their own. ''Generalizations are fun, but notoriously unreliable.'' :smile:

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

I respect the fact that you've peeled all of the skin off of the anthologies, made orange juice, chewed on the pulps and used the remaining for fertilizer.

What degree does Valens' moon fall on?

A little fun doesn't hurt anybody. But, of course, that is only my opinion :smile:

petosiris

Banned
I respect the fact that you've peeled all of the skin off of the anthologies, made orange juice, chewed on the pulps and used the remaining for fertilizer.

What degree does Valens' moon fall on?

A little fun doesn't hurt anybody. But, of course, that is only my opinion :smile:

Yeah, I feel right at home with that author.

Tropical, it is at the 1 50', or 2 21' topocentric, it is at 3 44' topocentric in Aldebaran. Valens thought it was at 7 ordinal Scorpio, which (mis)leads some people (https://tonylouis.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/the-birth-chart-of-vettius-valens/ - check my comment) to conclude he used Raman. However, their ephemerides were not very accurate at the time to say he used this or that zodiac, and he was using tropical formulas with 8 degree addition, in addition to Babylonian sidereal formulas as a brilliant mixture.

If you have a software, you can cast his chart for Greg. February 7 120 19:30 Antakya (the exact place is not secure actually) .

Valens never says it is his chart, although he uses it throughout the anthology as an example. He lists Saturn in Cancer and Mercury in Aquarius contrary to tropical longitudes, but fitting sidereal signs.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Concerning Valens' chart, it is interesting to note that the 35th critical year is given twice as example, first with profections, second as one of the six charts of people who got into shipwreck and pirates.