can square be also counted as parallel?

Philly777

In the synastry, my juno is 25 degree capricorn square my bf's venus is 23 degree libra. Do you think that square aspect can be estimated as parallel aspects as well? Please answer it is urgent for meeee. :surprised: I also read that parallel is in 1 degree orbit; so it is not parallel because of 2 degrees or it is not parallel because it is square?

waybread

You can check out parallels by using the the free charts pages at www.astro.com. Once you have called up the chart/s you want, click on the extra tables of data. For individual charts, it will indicate parallels and counter-parallels. I don't recall if it does this for synastry charts, but once you've got planets' distance from the ecliptic on your individual charts, you can read off the data tables whether their distances from the ecliptic are the same (i.e., parallel if in the same direction; counter-parallel if in opposite directions from the ecliptic.)

A square is not a parallel, although two squared planets could also have a parallel relationship. A square is a stressful aspect. Supposedly a parallel functions like a conjunction; and a counter-parallel, like an opposition.

Mark

To be clear, parallels are measured according to declination (distance from the celestial equator, not the ecliptic). The one degree orb that is suggested is one degree of declination, not latitude nor longitude. If a planet is at -5.3 declination (negative is South of the equator) and another planet is at -6.1 declination, then the two are loosely within orb for a parallel. If one planet is at -5.3 and another is at 5.2 (North of the equator), then the two are contra-parallel (like an opposition for parallels). I've seen plenty of charts in which two planets are in longitudinal aspect and are parallel at the same time. It should be noted, however, that most aspects do not also involve a parallel. So, to put it short and sweet, aspects are measured by longitude (along the ecliptic) and parallels are measured in declination (distance from the equator).

dr. farr

In my opinion, a Parallel in declination (= to a conjunction in longitude effect) SUPERCEDES the square in longitude influence, or, at the very least, greatly reduces the influence of the longitudinal square. However, if the Parallel is more than 1.5 degrees, it would be out of orb and probably not effective.

Philly777

oh, thanx people for your effort to explain me things. I dont understand this kind of geometry stuff in astrology because of my weak english skills :andy:

I looked at the additional table and found out this:
Longitude Latitude Declination
my juno :capricorn: 25°23'55" 12°34'40" N 8°40'55" S
his venus :libra: 23°16'59" 1°49'22" N 7°21'13" S

so it means they are parallel or not? please someone say YES or NO :D

waybread

Philly, at some point you will have to decide what orbs to use. Mark and Dr. Farr have given you some guidelines. I would think a close square would be felt more than a wide parallel.

The asteroids, moon, and Pluto get significantly off the ecliptic a lot of the time.

I suggest you learn as much as you can about the nature of Venus and Juno in a relationship, and then observe how they function in your relationship.

Mark

Philly777: If English skills are in question, then perhaps you would benefit from a brief review of how we discuss measurements in the sky. There are basically two grids that we use to talk about the sky. The first is the old astrologer's grid, which is based on the ecliptic (apparent path of the Sun through the sky). Measuring along this path is celestial longitude and measuring North or South of this path is celestial latitude. I'll put a quick reference below. The second grid is the one used by modern astronomers (guys with telescopes). This second grid is based on the equator. If you were to extend the Earth's equator like a line into the sky, that is the celestial equator. Measuring along the equator gives right ascension and measuring North or South from the equator gives declination.

Measurements
---------------------
ecliptic -> longitude and latitude
equator -> right ascension and declination

Nearly everything that astrologers talk about is based on the ecliptic. The one glaring exception is parallels of declination. Parallels are always measured from the equator and never from the ecliptic. Thus, when two planets are parallel South, that means they are above the same line of Earth's surface latitude in the Southern hemisphere. So, if your city happens to be on that same line, then you will first see one planet pass directly over you and later the other planet will also pass directly over you (as the Earth turns). That is what it means for two planets to be "parallel" to each other.

dr. farr

If the Juno/Venus figures for declination are 8:40 N/7:21N, then in my opinion they are in Parallel of declination = a conjunction-like influence and (for me) this would over-ride (or at least greatly modify) the square in longitude.

waybread

Planets are parallel if they are the same number of degrees off the ecliptic (like both +17 degrees.) They are counter-parallel if the degrees have the same number but are on opposite sides of the ecliptic. (For example, one is +17 and one is -17 degrees.) The ecliptic is the pathway of the sun, and most planets get off it slightly.

To find whether you have any parallel or counter-parallel planets, just do your chart at the Astrodienst free charts section (www.astro.com) and then click on the feature in the upper left of your chart for the extra tables.

Mark

To reiterate, parallels and contra-parallels are always measured in declination, which means measuring from the celestial equator. If one were to measure from the ecliptic, then one would generate a list of parallels in latitude, which is not the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declination

dr. farr

Parallels of (celestial) latitude are also listed on the astro.com horoscope pdf's; they were also used in ancient times (eg, by Firmicus Maternus), and I sometimes use them as well; but I believe the emphasis should be on the Parallels of declination in delineative analysis, and give the P of decl most importance...

Mark

dr. farr: I had heard that someone at sometime used parallels of latitude, but I didn't know of anyone particular who did. Thanks for the information.