Tradition + Modernization = ?

waybread

Re: studying traditional methods, to Frank

Good and bad astrology exists in any division. So I think the argument has to get more fine-grained than a simplistic modern vs. traditional binary. Throughout the ages, when traditional astrology was the only type practiced, authors complained about schlock astrologers who gave their discipline a bad name. By the same token, I just read two "modern" articles on the Astrodienst website about the moon, articles apparently comissioned by Astrodienst. There was little real discussion of the moon from any kind of intellectual perspective. The articles were so inane I just cringed.

I would really like to see both modern and traditional astrologers come together, and build barriers rather than bridges. But the bridges need to build on the best of what each side has to offer.

wilsontc

Staff member
a difference of purpose, to autumn

autumn,

You said:
The majority of astrologers are divided between "modern" and "traditional"...What can both "sects" :)smile:) learn from each other? We know the differences; what are the similarities?

I think there is a basic difference of approach to astrology between the two.

Traditional astrology is about predicting what absolutely IS going to happen. Bob Zemco in his footer has an excellent example of this, describing how traditional astrology is able to accurately predict who is a serial killer. From the point of view of traditional astrology, there is very little room for "free will"...it's all indicated in the chart and the only thing a person can do is to learn about it from an astrologer. And even learning about it won't help to change it. As Bob says in another posting, the only "free will" he has is in switching to a different phone carrier...and another traditionalist might add even THAT is not up to Bob's free will...it's just we aren't good enough astrologers to see the "phone carrier" indications in Bob's chart. ;) So when a traditional astrologer sees a modern interpretation, they judge it based on how well it can predict things...and modern astrology (in general) is not good at accurate predicting.

Modern astrology is about giving choices and giving the person more information about the situation. The goal is to find different ways to solve the same problem, so the person has several choices of solutions for their problem. Instead of finding the "one right answer", it's about finding out all the possibilities and leaving it up to the person themselves to choose. A modern astrologer would like to believe that, if they could have informed the potential serial killers about all the problems they might have in their life, that they could help them to find a better, more productive, non-violent way to use their energy in their life. A modern astrologer is always looking for a way to help a person OUT of their problems. So when a modern astrologer sees a traditional interpretation, they judge it based on how many choices it offers...and traditional astrology (in general) is not good at giving people choices.

So there is a fundamental difference between the two. Traditional astrology is about finding the RIGHT answer, while modern astrology is find out MANY answers. And since the goals are so very different, quite often the two clash when they come up against each other.

About the two astrologies,

Tim

Frank

Re: a difference of purpose, to autumn

So there is a fundamental difference between the two. Traditional astrology is about finding the RIGHT answer, while modern astrology is find out MANY answers. And since the goals are so very different, quite often the two clash when they come up against each other.

I'm not quite sure you are making the correct distinction here. Remember that horary, electional, event, and mundane astrology can all be practiced using either a "modern" or "traditional" techniques (I use the quotation marks because I feel the "modern vs. traditional" is not a precise dichotomy).

"Modern" astrologers who do horary, electional, predictive, etc. work are looking for the RIGHT answer - as are "traditional" astrologers. When counseling a client on their natal chart and its potential, there are MANY answers - depending on the chart itself.

Perhaps you are conflating "modern" astrology with psychological or evolutionary astrology? Those designations are not synonymous.

waybread

Re: a difference of purpose, to autumn

autumn,

You said:

I think there is a basic difference of approach to astrology between the two.

Traditional astrology is about predicting what absolutely IS going to happen. ....

Modern astrology is about giving choices and giving the person more information about the situation. ....

About the two astrologies,

Tim

Tim, I don't think this distinction is accurate. For one thing, in the West, the traditional astrologers of yore came through a Christian tradition that emphasized "free will" or moral choice. Remember: "the stars impel, but they do not compel"?

Moreover, I have read highly deterministic modern astrologers, like Robert Pelletier.

The difference that I see is more one of technique. Do you use the outer planets? Probably you're a modern astrologer. Do you judge planets' terms, faces, and exaltations? Probably you're a traditional astrologer.

It is really important not to paint one side as unreasonable, and the other side as more helpful and sensible. This is how arguments get started.

waybread

Nicolas Campion, A History of Astrology, vol II. Has some interesting things to say about the problem of astrological determinism vs. moral choice amongst traditional astrologers of the Middle Ages and Renaissance. A classical legacy from many (although not all) ancient astrologers was astrological stoicism: the stars did "compel", but by learning astrology, one could predict one's fate (or perform this service for others), thereby making them more mentally prepared for the future. Ptolemy, in Tetrabiblos (the grandaddy of traditional astrology texts) took a far more nuanced approach, and talked about circumstances that mitigated stellar influences, as well as human agency.

The Catholic church had an on-again off-again relationship with astrology. When it did not condemn it outright, it insisted on human moral agency. (Some call this "free will" although I think that term is a misnomer.) So the idea that "the stars impel but they do not compel" is that stellar influences set up certain circumstances, but humans also have moral choices to make. Making an ethical choice or a judicious course of action can help to neutralize stellar influences. An example would be William Lilly's (Christian Astrology) accounts of the various electional and horary charts he constructed, and how he used them to advise clients on good courses of action. In these examples, traditional astrology cannot and does not "predict what absolutely is going to happen."

I actually do not believe that others on this thread truly believe every move they make is predetermined by stellar influences. This would reduce human beings to the status of robots and wind-up toys. Even the act of mentally preparing for a dire forecast event suggests that people have some choices to make which will ameliorate their experience of the event.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, even statistical studies of astrology and human behaviour operate in the realm of statistics and probabilities, not 100% certainties. If they could, Wall Street, the insurance companies, and your MD need to hear about these infallible predictive techniques!

wilsontc

Staff member
traditional astrology and modern astrology, to Frank

Frank,

You said:
Remember that horary, electional, event, and mundane astrology can all be practiced using either a "modern" or "traditional" techniques..."Modern" astrologers who do horary, electional, predictive, etc. work are looking for the RIGHT answer - as are "traditional" astrologers. When counseling a client on their natal chart and its potential, there are MANY answers - depending on the chart itself. Perhaps you are conflating "modern" astrology with psychological or evolutionary astrology? Those designations are not synonymous.

That is a good point...that all modern astrology is not psychological astrology. I think my understanding of "traditional" astrology goes to Grecian, Vedic, and Mediaeval astrology, where there seemed to be a clear "right and wrong" answer to things. People went to astrologers to find out definite answers: to wars, to riches, to marriage, etc. This tradition of "astrologer as answerer" is still around today in some cultures, particularly in the Indian culture with Vedic astrology, where people go to the astrologer to tell them what "will be".

So I was separating that approach of looking for what "will be" apart from the approach of looking for what "can be". I think of this approach as a "modern" approach. A looking for possible options instead of definite answers. Or, to put it another way, of looking for MANY "right answers" instead of one definite "right answer".

And I agree with putting "traditional" and "modern" in quotes, since it isn't so much about the TYPE of astrology but the way the astrology is USED that seems to create the issues. And, looking at things that way, it made sense to me that, since there is such a wide separation of purpose between "traditional" and "modern" astrology, that could explain why their is such a strong clash when "traditional" and "modern" techniques get together. With the "traditional" saying "give me accuracy" and the "modern" saying "give me choice".

About the differences,

Tim

wilsontc

Staff member
traditional mental preparation, to waybread

waybread,

You said:
...some interesting things to say about the problem of astrological determinism vs. moral choice...by learning astrology, one could predict one's fate (or perform this service for others), thereby making them more mentally prepared for the future...circumstances that mitigated stellar influences, as well as human agency...human moral agency. (Some call this "free will" although I think that term is a misnomer.)...Making an ethical choice or a judicious course of action can help to neutralize stellar influences.

Yes, a lot of ancient thinking was about learning to accept one's fate. Indeed, the tragedies are tragic because no matter what the person does, they are fore-ordained to make the mistakes they do. Oedipus in ancient times, and Mac Beth in later years, both examples of people who are fated to make disastrous decisions...even though they are warned in advance about the dire consequences that will result. The only choice they have, then, is whether or not to accept their fate and be "moral" about the consequences (e.g., feel guilt, shame, etc. about what they have done).

And it seems that the way "traditional" astrology is often used is in line with this type of thinking...as in ancient times the king goes to the astrologer to ask whether he will win the war, whether his country will prosper, whether he will continue to be the king. And it's all up to the fate "written in the stars". There may be some way to neutralize some of the effects (e.g., wear a special charm, token, etc.), that will make the "fall out" of the bad not so bad. But if it's written in the chart, it's written in your life, and it's going to happen. This type of thingking is clearly seen in the Vedic tradition and all the requests we see on this forum from people growing up in the Vedic tradition: "Will I get married? Will I love him? Will she love me? Will I travel? Will I prosper in my job?"

About fate in the chart,

Tim

wilsontc

Staff member
reasonable and unreasonable, to waybread

waybread,

You said:
Tim, I don't think this distinction is accurate...It is really important not to paint one side as unreasonable, and the other side as more helpful and sensible. This is how arguments get started.

I'm not trying to paint one side as "reasonable" and the other as "unreasonable". I think it's perfectly reasonable to want to find out what will happen, if that's what you really want to know. And I think it's also perfectly reasonable to find out what your options are, if that's what you really want to know. What I'm trying to get at is the definite sense of "right" and "wrong" that seems to "spring up" when discussions are held about "traditional" and "modern" astrology. Each side considers the other's USE of astrology as "wrong", with "traditionalists" seeing "modern" astrology as "too vague", and "moderns" seeing "traditionalists" as too "fated". I have seen this again and again on many different forums and I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity to take a look at this phenomenon (of "traditional" vs. "modern") and study it closer, in a discussing environment.

Trying to understand,

Tim

dhundhun

I actually do not believe that others on this thread truly believe every move they make is predetermined by stellar influences. This would reduce human beings to the status of robots and wind-up toys. Even the act of mentally preparing for a dire forecast event suggests that people have some choices to make which will ameliorate their experience of the event.

This is a good point. The concept "FATE or FREE WILL" if often discussed in Scientific or Western Astrology.

Vedic view point always offers help for change for betterment. There are several recommendations to minimize afflictions and maximize the favorable influences. Clients ask at least a dozen recommendations. Astrological Consultation ranges from Gem stones, Food, Exercise/Yoga, Herbs/Spice, Clothing, Fasting, Pooja, what to do, what to avoid, related to marriage, friendship, job, etc.

Identifying Astrological Yoga is key to Vedic Astrology and for every afflictions UPAYs (measures) are recommended. As an example: http://hindijyotish.com/marriage-astrology/remedies-of-manglik-dosha-kuja-dosha.html

========
Even if we look thousands of years back in India, there has been Astrological measures and suggestions. Vedic view can be summarized as "FATE and FREE WILL".

dr. farr

Since I am an eclectic I take no sides in this current discussion; however, I join dhundhun about the idea of doing something: the ONLY value I find in undertaking astrological delineations* is in finding out the tendencies and trends and dispositions present, in order to DO SOMETHING to facilitate the constructive directions and to antidote or otherwise mitigate the disruptive, destructive directions.

*Mundane astrology is a different matter; here knowing the oncoming trends and directions can help one prepare to better meet those developments affecting large groups of people (also developments affecting the geographical area one lives in or has other interests in)

waybread

Re: traditional mental preparation, to waybread

waybread,

You said:

Yes, a lot of ancient thinking was about learning to accept one's fate. Indeed, the tragedies are tragic because no matter what the person does, they are fore-ordained to make the mistakes they do. Oedipus in ancient times, and Mac Beth in later years, both examples of people who are fated to make disastrous decisions...even though they are warned in advance about the dire consequences that will result. The only choice they have, then, is whether or not to accept their fate and be "moral" about the consequences (e.g., feel guilt, shame, etc. about what they have done).

And it seems that the way "traditional" astrology is often used is in line with this type of thinking...as in ancient times the king goes to the astrologer to ask whether he will win the war, whether his country will prosper, whether he will continue to be the king. And it's all up to the fate "written in the stars". There may be some way to neutralize some of the effects (e.g., wear a special charm, token, etc.), that will make the "fall out" of the bad not so bad. But if it's written in the chart, it's written in your life, and it's going to happen. This type of thingking is clearly seen in the Vedic tradition and all the requests we see on this forum from people growing up in the Vedic tradition: "Will I get married? Will I love him? Will she love me? Will I travel? Will I prosper in my job?"

About fate in the chart,

Tim

Tim, take another look at my point on moral choice--possibly stronger in a highly religious society than in today's western "anything goes" society. As Campion points out (pp. 44-48), medieval astrologers grappled with the moral choice ("free will") vs. determinism binary, and came up with intermediate solutions.

Albertus Magnus (1193-1280) opined: "The stars have the power to alter the elements, to change the complexion of men, to affect human mutations, and moreover, to provoke an inclination to action and even to determine the issue of battles....[yet] the stars are never the causes of our actions, indeed we have been made free agents by the Creator and are masters of our acts."

You can see the problems with which the medieval Catholics grappled. If the stars controlled everything on earth, then what about Jesus? What was the point of teaching people to be ethical, if all of their actions were pre-ordained by the stars? Why would God create a universe in which some people could not hope to be good, let alone saved, by virtue of their crummy horoscopes?

This is why astrology in medieval and Renaissance Europe is never strictly deterministic.

dhundhun & Dr. Farr, thanks for your input! As a westerner, I tend to see (perhaps through ignorance) Hindu society as much more fatalistic than modern western society. I have heard of Vedic practitioners offering their clients specific advice on how to improve the situations implied by difficult themes in their charts. Ironically, when I've expressed similar ideas to westerners via "choice-centered astrology", I've occasionally been accused of being unrealistic, or even asking them to sublimate their problems! It is as though, if your chart reeks, you're stuck with it. Now that is fatalistic!

I say, if your Mars looks weak, take up fencing and wear more red.

Last edited:

JerryRR

Tim.
You said.
Bob Zemco in his footer has an excellent example of this, describing how traditional astrology is able to accurately predict who is a serial killer.
This footer is extracted from an article written in the late 1980's,written by the Kansas City Committee for Skeptic Inquiry.Their Question 'How accurate is Astrology?'
Five Pro' Astrologers were approached by a member of the KCCSI.He told them he was interested in working with young people.The member then presented them with J.W.Gacy's chart.
I would have liked the opportunity to have asked them the following questions.
How did the Astro's consider themselves,trad, mod,trad/mod,other?
Were the Astro's given the data with the chart?
Which house system was used?
Did any of the Astro's ask for the source of the data? BC etc.
Did any of the Astro's ask for a few significant events in the past?
Did any of the Astro's look at the current trends?
Was the member Pisces Sun,Asc Sag with Vi Mc?
What techniques did they employ to write their Astro Synthesis?
What Astro Groups if any were they a member of?
What Astro publications did they read?etc

J. :)

wilsontc

Staff member
the middle period, to waybread

waybread,

You said:
...moral choice--possibly stronger in a highly religious society than in today's western "anything goes" society. As Campion points out (pp. 44-48), medieval astrologers grappled with the moral choice ("free will") vs. determinism binary, and came up with intermediate solutions...You can see the problems with which the medieval Catholics grappled. If the stars controlled everything on earth, then what about Jesus? What was the point of teaching people to be ethical, if all of their actions were pre-ordained by the stars? Why would God create a universe in which some people could not hope to be good, let alone saved, by virtue of their crummy horoscopes? This is why astrology in medieval and Renaissance Europe is never strictly deterministic.

I notice that you are specifically talking about what was going on around the time of the Renaissance, when the old, "deterministic" ways were beginning to make way for individual choice and free will. As to the Catholics, they have never liked astrology, partly for the reasons you mention (the issue of where free will fits into predictive astrology). And partly because the Church wanted to be the source of all answers, the place where people came to in times of need...not to astrologers.

As to the other astrology going on around the time of the Renaissance, I would say this form of astrology is closer to a form of "modern" astrology, an astrology of choice. This was particularly powerful at the time of the Renaissance when people were shifting the power over their life from their "rulers" outside themselves, to the "rulers" inside them. Shakespeare is probably the best know quote indicating this shift in the way of thinking, "The faults...lie not in the stars, but in ourselves."

The astrology at this time was at the "middle period," partly "traditional" and "fated" and partly "modern" in beginning to emphasize the importance of individual choice in deciding outcomes.

In the middle,

Tim

waybread

Re: the middle period, to waybread

Tim, Please cite your sources.

I've given you some specific page numbers here, from one of the foremost authorities on the history of astrology. Surely you are aware that western astrologers of the Middle Ages were not only Catholic, but many were ordained members of the clergy. Like, oh, Albertus Magnus, who was a bishop and Dominican friar. His pupil, Thomas Aquinas (who was canonized) was another Dominican who was both a theologian/philosopher and supporter of astrology. Aquinas was a big fan of "free will" in the face of difficult aspects in one's natal chart. Jean-Baptiste Morin (b. 1583 in France) was astrologer to a bishop and an abbot.

A medieval astrologer had to be a crackerjack mathematician, among other skills. Most education was concentrated in universities, which understandably were full of clerics because the Church was the only major route to an education.

So the moral choice or free will concern was hard-wired into medieval Christian astrology; and that for theological reasons. It doesn't just pop up in the Renaissance or during the Reformation.

Think through the theology here, Tim. If some kind of fatalistic planetary force absolutely controlled human behaviour, don't bother to make ethical choices. "Que sera, sera."

And hey--with so much energy in Virgo, it's OK if you're mutable and change your mind occasionally!

Historically, W.

p.s., Eternal Autumn, thanks for the links!

wilsontc

Staff member
no sources, to waybread

waybread,

You said:
Tim, Please cite your sources...Surely you are aware that western astrologers of the Middle Ages were not only Catholic, but many were ordained members of the clergy...So the moral choice or free will concern was hard-wired into medieval Christian astrology; and that for theological reasons. It doesn't just pop up in the Renaissance or during the Reformation. Think through the theology here, Tim. If some kind of fatalistic planetary force absolutely controlled human behaviour, don't bother to make ethical choices.

I don't have any sources. I was just noting that the people you were talking about seemed to be around or just before the time of the Renaissance. I was then contrasting that idea of "astrology with free will" against the idea of "astrology for predictions by heads of state", and thinking about the change that came about when non-heads of state had access to astrology. And I was wondering if there was a "middle ground" when astrology was partly for the heads of state and partly for the "commoners".

What you say makes sense, it's just that when people talk about the reasons on the boards that they became traditional astrologers, it's usually some variation about modern astrology being too "vague". Maybe those who talk about the "accuracy" of traditional astrology over modern astrology don't have their facts straight! :eek:

Thinking about the possibilities,

Tim

dr. farr

Re: no sources, to waybread

Two major influences on astrological thinking during the Renaissance time were Marsilo Ficino (1400's) and Paracelsus (1500's) Both emphasized the potential of Man to rise above fate, Paracelsus writing:

..."The Wise rule their planets; fools obey them"..
Yet both Ficino and Paracelsus also completely believed in Cosmic influences (via the stars and signs and planets) and the investigation of these influences by astrological delineation.

Ficino was the first to elaborate what we today would call "astro-psychology"-see his "Works"-or, for an excellent examination of this aspect of Ficino's astrology (his "planetary depth psychology"), see "Planets Within Us", by Thomas Moore easily available on amazon books, and from other sources (the allegation that "astro-psychology" arose in the 20th century, is quite incorrect; its origin is with Ficino in the late 1400's)

Paracelsus' astrological concepts are scattered throughout his books, but the epitome of his macrocosm/microcosm concept, and of the potential for Man to rise above the deterministic influences surrounding him, is his "Astronomie Magna" (there is also a good deal relating to astrological concepts in Paracelsus "Archidoxes of Magic" as well) Paracelsus believed that the Cosmic influences could be channeled and applied (by those who knew how) for a wide variety of purposes (especially in healing), this concept demonstrating Paracelsus view that Man-unlike other creatures-having the potential (through reason and knowledge) ultimately to "control" (or at least modify) astrological influences.

Neither Ficino nor Paracelsus provide us with specific astrological techniques as such, but rather they elaborate astrological concepts and a very attractive, non-determinist astrosophic philosophy and outlook regarding Man, Nature and the Cosmos.

waybread

Re: traditional mental preparation, to waybread

(1)...when you look at some of the war-torn and famine stricken countries of the world, the idea of using free will to get out of that kind of dire situation is ludicrous. Were it possible, people would already have done it - nobody wants to be tied up and raped and watch their mother and sisters go through the same ordeal, whilst seeing their father and brothers tortured and shot. Or slowly starve to death, watching their children die first.

(2)For that matter, if people had all this unbounded free will in the west, they'd be constantly changing everything from their personalities to their looks, abode, and usually - partners. And they'd have absolutely no coherent narratives about their lives.....

(3)...Certain participants in this conversation have told me that if you see violent death in a solar return, or an exacerbation of marital problems in a country where divorce isn't permitted, you should just 'grow some backbone and get through the adversity' rather than go somewhere else for your solar return, which baffles me. Granted, you can't change the planetary positions to have a wonderful life or a brilliantly harmonious marriage, but you can put some of those evil portents in less destructive houses. I see less destructive as a good thing, life is hard enough for most people. Why be killed, or be cast out and lose your children if it's not absolutely necessary for that to happen? To prove a point? What point? That life s&ucks? Yes, we know that already, it's why most people come to astrologers to begin with.

(4)Are some parts of our lives fated? I think we'd all agree that they are - men don't give birth, for instance, no matter how badly they might want to, and there are a number of universals that will always outweigh the particulars.

(5)Somehow most people don't get upset when they're told that they'll never be an Olympic athlete. But tell them they'll never be an architect (which may be equally true) and they'll scream bloody murder....

(6) It was the church that declared free will by ecclesiastical fiat - without it, Christianity becomes a theological disaster. Just imagine - how would Christianity fare as the universal religion if there is anything that could prevent you from accepting Jesus as your saviour? And thus was set the stage for 1600 years of persecution to prove that true at any cost, but I grossly oversimplify here. In other words, though, just because the church legislated it, it doesn't mean it's true. But if you grew up in a Christian country (most of the west) even if you're an atheist, you've had it pounded into your head as dogma. The Americans, sadly, are particularly famous for this....

(7) (NB again: You need not believe that God cares about you in any way, or that there's an afterlife, heaven, hell, reincarnation, karma, or any of this, and you don't need to believe that God is reified - in Hebrew, for instance, God's a verb, which is a lot more comfortable for me, personally ....

(8) Traditional astrologies are also predicated on the concept that you can't have it all. Modern astrologies tend to deny that, and often resort to 'quick fixes' (hence the growth of the self-help movement, but are people in general really any happier?), which is another sticking point. In trad, no matter how good your chart, there are things you just don't get to get....

(9)And as for those who actually read this and wonder why traditional astrologers often disregard the outer planets? They cast no light. And since they cast no light, they cannot form aspects, and they don't affect us. ...

(10) My useless contribution to an utterly useless thread. But that's largely what the trad stuff is about, at least short of writing a book on it.

Dr. Farr and Olivia, wow! Thanks for your informed comments! It just reminds me of the old saw that there is a way that the past actually happened. The historians job is to try to uncover it, not to imagine a past more convenient to points we wish to reinforce in the present.

Olivia, just some feedback on your points excerpted above.

(1.) I don't think anybody claims that free will would get people out of the dire situations you describe. Certainly nobody on this thread. Astrologers both ancient and modern stress that a chart has to be read in-context, if you can. (Sometimes we do "blind" chart readings, nonetheless.)

(2.) What you describe actually is the case for many people, although the causes vary. I have personally put the term "free will" in quotes, because it doesn't exist in any kind of pure form. I prefer terms like "moral choice." "Free will" is always bounded by the individual's historical period and place, gender, socio-economic status, culture, nationality, level of ability, and so on. A middle class white male in the US has a lot more choices than a disabled Untouchable woman on the streets of Calcutta.

(3.) I don't know if you are referring to me here, but I feel very strongly that death prediction is unethical. I happen to be backed up by ethics codes of several major astrological associations. We have to agree to disagree on this one, because we are not going to convince on another.

But let's take a common sense approach. We have to first verify the validity of a solar return chart as having this kind of impact on people's lives. I say it doesn't. It's a transit chart for a moment in time, period. Second, one generally has to travel a long ways away from one's birth place to see much change in a relocation chart. Some people have done such a relocation already, but for many people it is prohibitively expensive. Some people have little kids at home and can't leave their jobs. So if I have to spend $5000 to beat the odds via my relocation chart in Inner Mongolia, or could spend that $5000 ameliorating my current circumstances implied by my solar return chart or even give the money to charity, I think that's a better use of my money.

But hey, if people can afford to be astrology tourists, it's their decision.

(4) I don't call this "fate." I call it "biology."

(5) And the point here is....? If I gave you 10 anonymous charts of architects and 10 anonymous charts of people in other professions, could you pick out the architects 10/10 times? My son is an architectural designer, BTW, so please tell me what I should be looking for. After you have done this, I am willing to post his chart.

(6) No, it wasn't the Church. You find moral choice in Judaism (Genesis 2, for example,) in some of the Greek philosophers, and in the sacred writings of ancient Egyptians centuries before the advent of Christianity. Christianity drew upon these works. A big criticism of early Christianity by contemporary pagan authors, interestingly, was that it was highly derivative of their mystery cults: there was nothing new in it. I am not a Christian, but I have read the NT several times and to my way of thinking, its system of applied ethics is still commendable.

As an American (and dual citizen) I take exception to your over-generalizations. I was raised by secular Protestant parents and they never took me to church. I think you mean the southern evangelical groups. Most Americans report to polls that the believe in God, but less than half are regular church-goers. But American-bashing is ever popular among people unfamiliar with the nation's diversity.

(7) In the Hebrew Bible and rabbinical literature, there are many names for God. Most of them are nouns. Starting with Elohim.

(8) This is a mis-reading of many modern astrologies. I am trying to think of any that say, "You can have it all." Have you got an example?

(9) The outer planets certainly cast light!! How else could they have been detected with the types of telescopes that existed unto the early 20th century? Granted, this is "reflected light", a quality that they share with the planets visible to the naked eye. The "no light" thesis is a misreading of the history of astronomy. The outer planets are really important in my experience; notably Pluto. I am sorry that you have not found them valuable. Some traditional astrologers do.

(10) Neither this thread nor your contribution have been useless. If you thought they were, you would not have wasted your time on them.