Aspects - squares, trines ?

Neptune Rising

Hi everyone!

What do people think of this? I'm too confused now. I've read that squares mean no, and I've read from reputable people that they mean yes with obstacles, difficulties. Which is it?

The chart I'm talking about has 3 significators and there is positive reception between them all.

Here's the example..

Venus/Aries
Mars/Cancer
Jupiter/Capricorn

Venus approaches Mars by square
Venus also squares Jupiter
Venus is in Aries/Mars' house, and Jupiters triplicity

Mars opposes Jupiter
Mars is in Venus terms and face, and Jupiters exhaltation

Jupiter is in Mars exhaltation and Venus triplicity.

Moon however trines Mars, and then sextiles Jupiter.

Any thoughts, there are squares involved but the Moon gives trines and sextiles. To me it looks like the thing can be brought about with some hurdles to jump.. any thoughts please?

Thank you

Neptune

archergirl

Squares don't always mean a flat 'no' just like trines don't always mean a 'yes', but it depends a great deal on receptions between the planets, and which planets we're talking about.

A square from anything to Saturn is likely to make bringing anything about very difficult, as Saturn naturally rules limitations and obstacles. If Saturn is in Libra, this mitigates, however, as then he is in the sign of his exaltation and is therefore more noble in bearing.

The applying square between Mars and Venus is also mitigated somewhat by partial reception, BUT both planets are detrimented right now, meaning they lack the strength, usually, to take it through to the end. The Venus person or whoever, is more keen to do the deal, as they are the domicile of Mars. Mars, on the other hand, is rather indifferent to Venus, whatever it may signify. Term and face indicates a mild sort of 'liking', the way you might like a co-worker you occasionally greet in the hall. Reception by triplicity is stronger. Reception by domicile is even stronger and reception by exaltation is of course the most potent...although then, of course, it depends on the planets and what aspect they're making!

An applying square, for example, with mutual reception by exaltation could very accurately describe two people who hate one another's guts, who are about to duke it out in the car park.

In other words, there are a lot of things that have to be taken into consideration; the relative dignity of the planets, the type of aspect, receptions, term/face/domicile/triplicity, etc. etc. and ALWAYS the context of the query...

Er... did I answer the question?:D

AG:)

Neptune Rising

Thank you AG!

Yes you definatly answered my questions, can I ask another one now? :D

I can see what you mean - two planets in each other's exhaltation about to square shows they hate each other. If same two planets in each others exhaltation oppose each other, would that mean the same sort of thing? As in Jupiter and Mars at the moment.?

If Mars is in Moons house Cancer, and Venus is in Mars house Aries but they square each other, does this show they like each other but things get in the way?

Thank you
Best wishes
NR

archergirl

I can see what you mean - two planets in each other's exhaltation about to square shows they hate each other. If same two planets in each others exhaltation oppose each other, would that mean the same sort of thing? As in Jupiter and Mars at the moment.?

Yes, it can mean this; again, it depends on the context of the question. Exaltation simply means a magnification of whatever feelings are already there; so instead of 'like and dislike' (as would be shown by receptions of triplicity or domicile, for instance), you have 'really really love or really really hate'. Exaltation is not very neutral and usually not very realistic, when we're dealing with questions of human emotion!:D In other types of questions of course it will mean something slightly different (a job or housing query, etc.) but still have the same connotations.

In an opposition like the Mars and Jupiter one happening now, both planets are in fall: they are badly placed to 'do anything' as they lack power. They view one another by exaltation, so there is this magnification of the other planet by 'really love or really hate'. An opposition means that whatever it is that is wanting to be done, will have a hard time doing so, but it's not impossible. Much like the square aspect, an opposition is sometimes an aspect meaning 'struggle'...but not always.

Lilly has a good example of this (C.A. p302 Roell edition), Of Marriage:
...for if the Lord of the ascendant or the Moon apply to the Lord of the seventh house, it does signify the Querent shall have his or her desire, yet with many petitions, solicitations and prayers: and if the application be by square or opposition, and with reception, it signifies that it shall be brought to pass with a kind of slowness, labour and travail...

In another part of C.A. (I am looking but can't find it offhand) Lilly equates the opposition of planets by reception (so, Venus in Scorpio opposing Mars in Taurus, for example) to two drunks [planets in detriment] leaning on one another as they walk down the road: they are trying to help one another [reception] but may just as easily end up fighting in the street [opposition].

I'll plough through CA and see if I can't find the direct quote. It's worth remembering.

Cheers,
AG:)

Neptune Rising

Thanks very much AG, that is really helpful!

Its like gathering the bits of a jigsaw together and finding a way to make it make something recognisable! This is going in my astro notes. :)

NNR

whitey

Dear Neptune and AG,

Thank you very much for your excellent post! Now I can understand horary better.

The thing is, I recently ordered a paid reading with regard to my love life. Basically the chart indicated significators (mercury and jupiter)are in good shape, moon is sextiling venus(my secondary significator for love issue) and moon to conjunct P of F in few degrees. Anyway, mercury and jupiter is to square eventually but the astroger said "yes" to the answer though some delay or obstacles on the way is expected, which in my case so far is long distance.... I wanted to learn more about this and I turned to this board and there you go...I found your post.

Thank you again and have a lovely day.

whitey