How do you meditate?

akp124

I have tried and tried, but I just cannot get into that "zone" that everyone talks about. My mind just wanders and wanders and then I get fixated on one thing and I cannot meditate.

Mandy

lol thats whats supposed to happen. Meditation in and of itself is a skill which, once acquired, will allow you to gain control of your mind and prevent intrusive thoughts. If you just keep at it you will see that seconds grow into minutes etc. It is a marvellous skill to have and the earlier you can start, the better it will be for you. Don't give up.

Moog

That does sound rather like what is meant to happen.

Here's what happens for me.

1. sit down
2. mind wanders
3. resettle mind
4. mind wanders
5. resettle mind
6. mind wanders
7. resettle mind
etc.

Until eventually the mind settles down, and it's more like stroking a kitten than subduing a bullock.

dhundhun

I have tried and tried, but I just cannot get into that "zone" that everyone talks about. My mind just wanders and wanders and then I get fixated on one thing and I cannot meditate.

Be comfortable (sitting position or even sleeping position)
Take few deep breath

START:
-------
Do reverse counting from 100 to 0. Don't let any though coming in between. If they came go to end. If you tried a week and it did not work, try intense reverse counting - for reverse counting with those numbers changing in flip digits. This should be able to cut-off.

Do meditation, whatever you wanted.

END:
----
Do forward counting, wake-up

akp124

Will try this out. It just frustrates me that my mind can wander and I don't think about anything when I'm in class, but when I actually try, it doesn't do that.

JUPITERASC

1. sit down
2. mind wanders
3. resettle mind
4. mind wanders
5. resettle mind
6. mind wanders
7. resettle mind
etc.

Until eventually the mind settles down, and it's more like stroking a kitten than subduing a bullock
Be comfortable (sitting position or even sleeping position) Take few deep breath...........
Do meditation, whatever you wanted.

END:
fwiw "mind wanders.... mind settles down.... mind wanders... resettle mind" is an accurate description of the meditative process.

The main choice is what to focus on.
dhundhun advises "Take a few deep breaths..."

Breathing is the object of meditation focus for many

Seated comfortably upright, lower your eyelids and focus on the breath

Notice how the breath creates a sensation at the nostrils. Focus on that sensation. As the mind wanders observe the contents of consciousness while you continue to focus on the sensation created by the breath at the nostrils. Continue to focus on breathing in.... continue to focus on breathing out... for as long or as short a time as you choose.:smile:

lazarusx

dhundhun advises "Take a few deep breaths..."

Breathing is the object of meditation focus for many

Seated comfortably upright, lower your eyelids and focus on the breath

Notice how the breath creates a sensation at the nostrils. Focus on that sensation. As the mind wanders observe the contents of consciousness while you continue to focus on the sensation created by the breath at the nostrils. Continue to focus on breathing in.... continue to focus on breathing out... for as long or as short a time as you choose.:smile:

This in my experience is the best method to begin with; you learn how to breathe calmly during meditation which is important and because the focus is centered on the ebb and flow of breath the mind calms down in thought.

With enough practice you will see that meditation is much more then a means of relaxation, but a window into the expansive deep silence of your being.

RaptInReverie

Stop basing your expectations on what other people have told you meditation is supposed to be. You do not have to try to create a particular zone or state. Just do the breathing, as was recommended above, and be open to whatever experiences may result from it.

JUPITERASC

I tried it once more last night...I ended up falling asleep...lol
That's good news akp124! Meditation is a great way to relax - you got so relaxed you had a snooze and a much needed rest...

if you continue to practice, at some stage you shall remain alert rather than sleeping - :smile:

Stop basing your expectations on what other people have told you meditation is supposed to be.

wise words RaptinReverie:smile:

You do not have to try to create a particular zone or state.

Just do the breathing, as was recommended above, and be open to whatever experiences may result from it.

akp124

One trick for rousing yourself if you get too sleepy is to breathe just a bit more vigorously.

The thing is, I didn't even feel myself get sleepy. One minute I'm breathing and listening to myself breathe, the next, I'm waking up 5 hours later. lol

Moog

The thing is, I didn't even feel myself get sleepy. One minute I'm breathing and listening to myself breathe, the next, I'm waking up 5 hours later. lol

With experience you'll start noticing all kinds of subtle things.

Neptune Rising

I use Vipassana technique, which is mindfulness. I watch the breath, awareness on the breath and the sensations I can feel within the body. You can never stop thoughts from happening. The very act or intention of stopping thoughts is in itself creating another thought. Mindfulness meditation is simply watching thoughts without becoming attached to them.

Sure, when sitting for meditation, after 20 seconds of watching my breath (eg, feeling the sensations the breath makes on the nostrils as I inhale and exhale - on the inhale, the breath is slightly colder, and on the exhale the breath is warmer), a thought randomly pops in, "I must buy some broccli", "how could she say that to me, grr"... and any other random thoughts also pop into my head at lightning speed. Instead of allowing my awareness to follow each train of thought, as soon as I become aware that I've followed the thought, I gently and lovingly bring my awareness back to the breath. It's a constant practice that gets better with time, patience and love.

I have tried all sorts of techniques - mantra chanting (silent and out loud), mala bead counting, visualisation but I've found this technique - mindfulness - to be the best and most profound at really getting to the core of what its all about and finding a true self-acceptance. Accepting life as it is which includes accepting the mind as it is without trying to alter it. Just observing the mind without attachment to the thoughts.

:)