Mercury in between 8th & 9th house?

AstroKidd

I was born at 2:10pm on 10/12/96 (4 mins away from being an 8th house Mercury). Since I was born 4 minutes before Mercury in the 8th house, wouldn't it just be better to interpret my horoscope as my Mercury being in the 8th house? And not the 9th? Because It's like directly on the edge of the 8th/9th.
I'm using Placidus here btw :p

kimbermoon

typically when there is some confusion about the chart, it requires a greater degree of delineation through the process of elimination...would need to see your chart to respond further...

JUPITERASC

I was born at 2:10pm on 10/12/96 (4 mins away from being an 8th house Mercury). Since I was born 4 minutes before Mercury in the 8th house, wouldn't it just be better to interpret my horoscope as my Mercury being in the 8th house? And not the 9th? Because It's like directly on the edge of the 8th/9th.
I'm using Placidus here btw :p
astro.com Extended Chart Selection Page offers a choice of fourteen different house systems including Whole Sign. Experimenting with creating a natal chart using different house systems clearly illustrates that the house location of any natal planet is entirely dependent on the chosen house system :smile:

IF a natal chart is created using Whole Sign then one whole house = one whole sign and simple to view house location of Mercury
http://www.librarising.com/astrology/misc/wholesignhouses.html

'....In no other area of astrology is there so much mess and confusion than in the area of the so-called "houses". There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity. Commonly known house systems are: Whole signs(oldest), Equal House(1st century BC), Porphyry(3rd century AD), Alcabitus(6th century), Campanus(13th century), Regiomantus(14th century), Placidus(17th century), and Koch(20th century). Others include: Meridian(Midheaven), Topocentric, Morinus, Horizontal, Geodetic, Zodiacal, Svarogish, Krusinski, and so on.

Houses, mansions, or domains, represent general areas of life activity - grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.....'

'... Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable or meant the same thing. A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries, so that in effect. there were no real houses as we know them today. Artificial divisions known as houses were attempts by early Greeks/Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope, which during 7th/8th centuries AD were construed/ confused as means of dividing the birth chart. Ascendant/Midheaven degrees and their opposites, were definite power points or areas of intense focus, but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant....'

'….In fact, there is no real basis for the astrological houses at all. They derive from a misunderstanding of the Ascendant and Midheaven factors in astrology, the former representing Earth/terrestial sphere, and the latter representing the Sky/Heaven/celestial sphere. Ascendant is planet Earth, and Midheaven(MC) has as its source, the Earth's inner central sun. The IC(Imum Coeli) and the descendant are merely opposite or reflex points. If any house system should be used, it's Whole Sign House, where ascendant sign becomes whole first house and the others follow. Ascendant point can then be in first house and midheaven point anywhere in upper half of chart....'