The Song!

Atruism

Okay everyone...
It's about time I wrote my World Number 1 Top Of The Charts song!
It'll be great!
The young kids of this generation will love it!
I've got some software (Cubasis) and a head full of ideas... And other stuff as well :)
This will be an ongoing thing (i.e. I'll do a bit here, a bit there, when time permits.)
Part experiment, part music.
So what's next?
Sex, drugs and rock - Actually, I just need some guidance.
No, not that sort of guidance! Hands off!
I... (this is so hard for me to say)... I...
I need your help.
Soooooo...
What type of song should it be?
What instruments do you want to hear?
What should it be called?
Etc etc...
Please keep in mind that I've only got Cubasis!
I can't promise that everything will be addressed :)
But I can promise you this...
Whatever I do write I'll post it here... Free of charge!
For your listening pleasure :)

Any ideas anyone?

Lissa

World Number1Top Of The Charts Song...being myself such a music lover,it does sound like a interesting thing but I have to say I'm not sure about what you want with this...To ask people which song is their ultimate favourite so you could find out which song/band is the most popular from all the world?:confused: If yes,I'm willing to give you a list with my all-time favourite songs..althoug I should warn you it will be a veryy long list:D .

All the best
Lissa

Atruism

World Number1Top Of The Charts Song...being myself such a music lover,it does sound like a interesting thing but I have to say I'm not sure about what you want with this...
Just send lots of money! Then I'll truly, one hundred percent, no doubt about it, be happy :)
By the way, did you know we now accept PayPal?

To ask people which song is their ultimate favourite so you could find out which song/band is the most popular from all the world? If yes,I'm willing to give you a list with my all-time favourite songs..althoug I should warn you it will be a veryy long list
Wwwwweeeeelllll, that's not exactly what I had in mind. But, I'm sure there's gotta be a thread about "favourite songs" around here somewhere? I'll check it out for you. And if one doesn't exist, I'll start one :)

Okay, here's what I was thinking when I posted that last post...

I have this desire to write (i.e. compose) a song and put it on the Internet.
Because I haven't done this before, I need some help.
In addition, the people here on this forum give a lot to others, so I thought it'd be a good way to give something back to them.
So, to put it another way...
I thought it'd be nice if some of the folk on this forum could contribute to this song.
Therefore, they could say "Hey listen to this song I helped to create."

Here's a possible scenario (to help explain this whole concept)...

Person 1 - "I like piano, can a piano be in this song?"

Me - "Yes it can, I'll get to it as soon as possible."

Person 2 - "I want it to sound like a techno song."

Person 3 - "I would like a country and western song."

Person 4 - "I want to have a techno song too."

Me - "Okay, it's going to be a techno song with a piano tune in it."

Person 1 - "When do we get to hear it?"

Me - "I'll post the first version of the song soon, maybe next week, and then we can discuss any changes that need to be made."

Person 1 - "Thanks Atruism. You're the greatest person alive on this planet!"

BTW - Feel free to contribute!!!

wintersprite1

Premium Member
I get to be person number 1

How about a heavy brass section. Sort of like you hear in the works of The Specials. Kinda like Tiajuana Brass.

Okay, person number 2, you're next....

TK

Lissa

So I'm person number2,and I want a piano and a bongo and a guitar and a flute...:D

Joking;) .

I don't know how would it sound with the brass section,but could the song have synthesizers(my Oxford dictionary says this is the right word,I hope so!)in it?Like OMD or Kraftwerk's songs,with that electronical feeling,I really like the way it sounds.

Atruism said:
"Thanks Atruism. You're the greatest person alive on this planet!"

We can skip this part:D .

All set for person number3to give this a go;) .

Ooh, how about some percussion? :) Drums, (drumsets and/or marching percussion), cymbals, and possibly a marimba, xylophone, or vibraphone, perhaps? ;)

All clear for Person Number 4! :D

wintersprite1

Premium Member
Sigh, still waiting on number 4 :p

Okay, how about you have to use the users' name of anyone that is contributing to this thread. And a Kazoo!!

TK

flea

So that means I gotta be 4 eh, well the only think that is coming to me now is syncopation.... can we have a bit of that??

love & light
Flea

Atruism

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
wintersprite1 said:
How about a heavy brass section. Sort of like you hear in the works of The Specials. Kinda like Tiajuana Brass.
After reading your post, I checked out the brass instruments available in the Cubasis program and they sound terrible! So, I'll check out some (if not all) of the sounds and then I'll post a list of sounds that you can select from. As for the style of music. Hmmm... I'll try and think of something that will make the majority of people happy (wish me luck!)

Lissa said:
I don't know how would it sound with the brass section,but could the song have synthesizers(my Oxford dictionary says this is the right word,I hope so!)in it?Like OMD or Kraftwerk's songs,with that electronical feeling,I really like the way it sounds.
Yes, synthesized sounds are available, I'll list them in the... errr... list that I post.

I couldn't find a "Favourite" song thread, so I started one. At the time of writing it hasn't been approved (maybe I have to wait for Arian Maverick to return?) Anyway, in that thread I list 5 of my favourite songs. One of them is a Kraftwerk song. So, that electronic style of music is an option that I'll be looking into.
Samandra81 said:
Ooh, how about some percussion? Drums, (drumsets and/or marching percussion), cymbals, and possibly a marimba, xylophone, or vibraphone, perhaps?
I'm not too sure if this software has percussion sounds, but there's definitely standard drum sounds (e.g. bass drum, snare drum etc.) When I post this (hugely anticipated) list I will include all the drum sounds that sound good enough to put into the song :)

wintersprite1 said:
Okay, how about you have to use the users' name of anyone that is contributing to this thread. And a Kazoo!!
Lyrics. Hmmm.... I didn't mention it before, but I think it'd be great to create an "astrological" song. I was thinking that each sign should be represented with a single sentence (thus giving you a total of 12 lines / sentences.) For example...

Gemini, they all know how to defy.
Capricorn, the one to transform.
Cancer, always has an answer.
Libra, the eternal moderator.
Aries, never the ordinary.
Pisces, deals with theories.
Sagittarius, the eternal genius :)
Aquarius, are surely fabulous.
Taurus, the nucleus.
Scorpio, everyone's hero.
Leo, always say hello.
Virgo, wears the hallo.

The lyrics above may not be applicable to the particular sign. It's just something I quickly made up. If you want to contribute some lyrics / ideas for lyrics. Just let me know! In the meantime, here's some (rhyming) words to get your brain cells working overtime :)

Gemini.
High, defy, certify, qualify, justify, apply, rectify, multiply, signify, supply.

Capricorn.
Reborn, dawn, yawn, horn, pawn, form, transform, inform, perform, uniform.

Cancer - Libra.
Answer, pressure, barter, simulator, leader, mantra, martyr, liberator, moderator, perimeter.

Aries - Pisces.
Fairies, varies, theories, queries, sanctuaries, visionary, extraordinary, stationary, revolutionary, ordinary.

Sagittarius - Aquarius - Taurus.
Humorous, rebellious, nucleus, fabulous, alias, curious, genius, circus, compass, vigorous.

Scorpio - Leo - Virgo.
Radio, ratio, impresario, disco, hallo, hero, window, arrow, tomorrow, hello.

flea said:
So that means I gotta be 4 eh, well the only think that is coming to me now is syncopation.... can we have a bit of that??
Syncopation? What's that? Oh...

Syncopation information.

Did I mention that I'm not a trained musician? I'll see what I can do :)

Okay, I'll post here in about a week's time. Thanks once again for the responses!

flea

Goatfish riding on the promise of a wish.
Centaur be my mentor.
Twins supplying wins.
Crabs sidling up to Arabs.
Ram, Iam Iam,
Scorpion's sings Accordian.
Virgins washed out sins,
Call to Weigh Scales or let fall,
Fishes, Fairies, Wishes, Caring.
Taurus strong sings a chorus,
Sun of impersario, hello,
Water bearing fruit for Slaughter.

Ok a few little word games, as you can see didn't spend an awful lot of time on it, but expands some options.

L&LFlea

Atruism

Okay, after thinking about the direction of the song, I think the song (i.e. the style) should be one that empowers people. A song that...

01 - You put on in the morning to get you going.
02 - Makes you feel better when you're feeling down.
03 - Makes you want to get up and shout "YEAH!!!"

Maybe a slow / relaxing atmospheric song that changes into some sort of electronic / dance song?

Good idea or not?

I'm still working on the 'sounds list.' I'm still working on it because it's difficult for some instruments with regard to their quality (i.e. do they sound like they should?) Maybe I'll...

Oh I dunno, I'll keep working on it :)

I'll post some more info in a week's time.

Keep those thoughts coming!

Thanks for the assistance and, of course, the lyrics from Flea :)

BTW - I tried posting an mp3 song / zip file (that I quickly created) but I exceeded the file limit. So, I guess I'll be working on fixing that problem too, in the near future :)

Lissa

I really like your idea of giving that upbeat feeling to the song.I loved Wintersrite's idea of including our names in the lyrics!Perhaps the song's lyrics could make the connection between our names and our astrological configurations?

Keep us posted.

flea

The song has to have a title so you got any ideas, or would 1, 2, 3, and 4 throw things into the ring....

L&LFlea

Atruism

Hello again...

To cut a long story short…
I've found a web site to host the song.
I've uploaded a trial song (i.e. a rough/basic song) to see how things work.
If you want to check out the (free) song you need to sign up.
And the link for the web site is.…………. here :)

While I was checking out the web site I came across this...

"SaFe cRacKeRZ (Electronica: Drum n Bass)
We are three potheads from Puerto Rico that loves music (electronic music). And we are DJ'S"

There certainly are some "interesting" characters at soundclick.com :eek:

Lissa...

Upbeat feeling to the song...Okay, that's 2 votes (mine included.)
Names in the lyrics... It's a great suggestion. Any examples on offer?
And a question...

If we work out the lyrics, based on the names so far, what happens if we get more members to this thread...How do we accommodate them?

How about we set a cut off date (for members to join this thread and thus potentially be included in the lyrics) and then we'll work it out then (i.e. what the actual lyrics will be.) Does that sound good?

wintersprite1...

If it's not too much trouble, and I'm sure it won't be, can you continue saying it throughout this entire thread?

Flea...

Here's my example for a song title... "Jeffrey and Steven's Weekend Adventure!"
If you're wondering what that means, just check out my signature :)
Seriously though, anyone can throw their ideas in the ring and we'll take it from there.

Keep those brain cells active and post here if you feel like it !!!

I'll update in a week's time.

Oh, and the "Favourite Songs" thread is now up and running (thanks Arian!).

It's……………………. here :)

< Edit > If you want to listen to the trial song, I recommend that you download the mp3 version (i.e. less bandwith/better quality.) Bye!

Last edited:

Lissa

Wow Atruism(or shall I say...Sag Bunny?)I really like the idea you gave for the song's name!Now I'm having a crazy idea...why not to make the lyrics with a story,where Jeffrey and Steve spend their weekend traveling in our solar system and get to meet the people who joined this thread,aliens from different planets,with different astrological make ups?If not,feel free to tell me I'm being so incredibly childish:rotflmao: .

I like the song so far,has a very otherwordly feeling to it!I will take some time to think about the lyrics,but I think first we need to get to an agreement if we're going to include our names in the song or not.

Lissa

By the way,I took a look at your 'Artist Main Page' on that website where you had the song.You're so freaking funny:rotflmao:.

Atruism

Okay, in the last week I’ve…

A) Made a list (from the previous posts) to 'construct' the song. If I've missed anything please let me know. And, remember, anyone can add to this list, make comments, ask questions etc!!!

B) Begun writing the song. I'll write at least 4 bars of music each week and (if there's no comments/changes to be made) I'll add at least another 4 bars the following week. And so on and so on, until the song's actually finished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the list...

(Title?)
01 - Jeffrey and Steven's Weekend Adventure

(Instruments?)
01 - Brass.
02 - Synthesizers.
03 - Drums / cymbals.
04 - Marimba, xylophone, or vibraphone.

(Style?)
01 - Syncopation.
02 - Upbeat feeling.

(Lyrics?)
01 - Names.
02 - Astrological configurations.
03 - A story (Jeffrey and Steve travel in the solar system, meet the members on this thread, and aliens from different planets who are represented by different astrological signs.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s the song…

To listen to the song (i.e. the intro) go here and download/listen to the song called "Trial 2" (I recommend downloading the mp3 version.) There is only one instrument used so far (i.e. a synthesizer.) So, in the week ahead, I'll probably add another instrument from the list above.

Feel free to tell me if you like or dislike it !!!

And keep those comments coming :)

Cheers.

Atruism.

Atruism

Here's a song update (Trial 2) for everyone out there :)

I added another "synth" sound to the beginning of the song so that it sounds a little more interesting.

Thanks for the links weee11! I had a look at those web sites but I'm still trying to wrap my head around them (WAV, VST etc.) Nonetheless, I'll be keeping them in mind :)

Also, I think there's an electric guitar sound/sample in the Cubasis software, so I'm pretty sure it'll be making an appearance later on in the song (maybe next week?)

Keep those comments coming!!!

Bye!