Astrology and Strugling with Bipolar Disorder

dioskouris

Account Closed
I've been looking toward myself and my chart to find the source of this problem - my "bipolarism", as it is officially diagnosed. I'm a Gemini, so when people find this superficial information about me they write it off as me being "just another Gemini", though I know better to think that my Sun doesn't have everything to do with my psychological make up. Earlier I used to blame my Mars, ruler of my ASC, in Fall... hence the temperamental nature of my Mars is rather quite evident. Place that at a fairly close square plus mutually receptive to my Aries Moon and naturally the emotional ebb and flow of my Cancer Mars becomes exigent. It's often too much to handle for me, too much to handle for others... and festivities such as Christmas and even my birthday become a torrential emotional whirlpool.

This is to say, am I correct at find the source of this 'debilitation'? Are there other factors involved I have left out? Are there any advice/lessons to be found in my astro-psychological make up?

View attachment 44570

Last edited:

mossadrai

Usually this has to do with Mercury, and yours is in Gemini and opposed to Saturn. Another interesting point to see is the Moon is commonly afflicted in these cases. Your moon is in Aries, square to Netune and Mars (ruler of the 1st, as you said, but also the 6th, diseases, which is Aries and the head).

If you go more to kabbalistic astrology, you have a perfect Quintile of Moon and Mercury (this usually indicates some need of repair on the energy of the planets involved) and also Mercury conjunct Kyron (where Kyron indicates suffering, pain and problems, both spiritually as well as phisycally).

Krewster

Not qualified to comment on psychology issues, but why focus on your almost 5-degree-loose Moon 90 Mars as representative of the indicated behavior/experiences when you've up to 5-ish x tighter-orbed, personal-to-transpersonal major aspectual challenges to the Moon, Merc and Ven... (not to mention the 16th harmonic "red" aspect Pluto makes to the Sun)?

Or maybe it is that loose 90 in play (this time), since T Sat's back/forth between about 16 and 20 Scorp teases with the formation of an OctoYod (aka thor's hammer) with Moon and Mars.

[off topic]
On the bright side, the tightest eleven personal-planet-participating aspects in your chart (if displaying out to the 20th harmonic and looking at just the first degree of orb) are all supportive.

So if the behavior/experiences mentioned in your post was 100% of you, it would demonstrate that four major afflictions orbed 52 min to 1.37 degrees win out over a mix of supportive majors/minors betw 7 and 43 min.

But I guess that's not the case, right? (you've tons of good qualities).

@ Mossadrai: we posted within minutes of each other and hence the duplication with your observations (but the Moon 72 Merc in my imperfect recasting at home is 19 min orb loose not exact -believe me there's a difference in influence strength- and I only know that aspect as conferring IQ while you seem to have a different take).

Last edited:

dioskouris

Account Closed
Thanks for the quick responses. @Krewster, could you possibly dumb down what you just said for me? lol. Though I've read about it, I'm not familiar with some of the terms you used, like harmonics, and the "red" aspect.

This is one of the reasons why I posted in here. Because I'm subjective I will end up focusing on the what I believe to be the source of my issues. Ever since I've read about my Mars being in Fall I think I psychologically latched onto that.

I am aware of my Mercury hard respecting my Saturn, but I always interpretted that as the reason behind my issues with structured learning (like schools... my teachers were always frustrated with my display of high intelligence but apparent "laziness"). Venus opposite Pluto I've known of for quite a while (right across the horizon).

Interestingly I've often had great rapport with Aries people. Most of my romantic affairs have been with Aries women... I interpretted it as having something to do with my NN and they having a somewhat healing quality to my vitality (Mars?)... and the 6th house. Though in the past couple years I have been avoiding them lol.

poyi

Premium Member
For health issues I always look at Sun, Moon, Ascendant/ruler of ascendant, 6th, 8th, 12th, and Part of fortune.

I think Chiron conjunction to your Mercury in Gemini in the 8th house, as the ruler of the Sun, then Sun rules MC could be one possible. Saturn also opposes Chiron from 2nd house, your valuing axis 2nd and 8th.

For emotion, Mars in Cancer is detrimental square Moon which is also in mutual reception in a worse form of expression, although the square is not particularly tight (so can be seen as mutual reception without aspect if we wanting tighter orb), Mars in Cancer does rules the North node.

If you were born slightly earlier the square would be tighter, and the Moon & North node would be in the 6th house also. If the current birth time is correct, Moon still at close contact with North node (ecliptic point prior your birth). Then also the Moon quincunx Pluto at AC, Moon square Neptune. Also have a look of your Part of Fortune.

But then again the more reliable data would be your midpoint in less than 1orb, check if you have any midpoints with the combination of AC, Sun, Moon, Mars, Saturn, Uranus and Pluto.

mossadrai

but the Moon 72 Merc in my imperfect recasting at home is 19 min orb loose not exact -believe me there's a difference in influence strength- and I only know that aspect as conferring IQ while you seem to have a different take.

Totally agree with you, Krewster. I based myself on the chart given, but of course 19 min orb is already a big difference, specially if we are talking about the Moon and minor aspects like the Quintile.

The only difference, as you notice, is regarding the meaning of Quintile. In kabbalistic astrology (72 is a very kabbalistic number, like in the 72 Names of G-d), this aspect is related to try fixing things, to make two planets (in astrology case) work together. It is connected to the Sephirah of Chesed.

Cypocryphy

Just passing through Dio, but I gave a quick glance at your chart. Bipolar disorder is extreme mood fluctuation. I don't know where you stand on the spectrum of expression of symptoms, but I imagine you tend toward melancholy than elation.

As you have come to see, everyone has an opinion as to what is the basis for the illness. I did not read all the posts but noticed one mentioned Mercury.

I disagree.

Your emotional well-being is primarily based on two planets, that being Venus and the other the Moon. Those are the starting points, the planets that will have the greatest say in your overall emotive health. Thoughts do pertain to Mercury, but the body of mind is found in the Moon. Your Moon is the focus of a t-square configuration, afflicted by both Mars and Neptune. The inharmonious aspect from Mars with poor overall dignity, both accidental and essential, has aggravated a Moon that is already prone to aggravation by its zodiacal placement. You have intense moods, my friend. The Neptune quality has left you in a state of confusion, too.

Unfortunately, your Venus is afflicted by a strong one degree opposition from Pluto in the 12th house of discontent and sorrow, with your Venus in the sixth house of sickness. This is not a fortunate configuration, leaving you with intense and dark emotions, sometimes powerful and sometimes weak.

The combination of these two factors has left you vulnerable to what people term "mood disorders." I recommend you practice yoga or some form of athleticism. Even more than that, I recommend meditation if you want to have a chance at being medication free.

Last edited:

Vista

My personal experience looking at natal charts and this is not to say all people with this aspect are bipolar, regardless, I routinely see a bipolar problem specifically with Moon in hard aspect to Uranus. There are different levels of bipolar not necessarily the manic high's and severe lows. There is another type of bipolar that deals with anger outbursts and an inability to curtail or hold it in, in other words, use a filter. Your Moon is not in hard aspect with Uranus although your Mercury is which makes you incredibly smart btw. Anyways I digress, you have a very challenged Moon and Mercury to Mars, Saturn, and Neptune, which makes me think there is some kind of bipolar issue going on here. Moon to Mars in hard aspect usually points to problems with the mother. Maybe there is something there. I haven't looked beyond the aspects i mentioned and the Moon to Mars aspect.

Last edited:

dioskouris

Account Closed
How does one 'mention/tag' someone in a response?

Anyway Cypocryphy you are correct that I am more on the side of melancholy and dark feelings than on the side of elation. Elation is a very fugacious feeling that passes very quickly, and feels more like a 'distraction' from the "reality" of life, which, to me, is subjectively grave. Hence it is still 'tainted'... I often oscillate between low and "mixed" episodes (high energy, but still sepulchral. Or elated, but still aware of despair), which has led to a couple close call suicide and accidents.
"Elation" to me comes from feeling alive by doing something 'dangerous' that may easily claim my life. I'm probably alive now out of sheer luck, and a very, very quick reflex. Vista you mentioned I may have problems with my mother, but the only problem I can think of is the stress I put her through from seeking thrill through danger (not that I do it on purpose). I'm not sure what else. I have tantrums sometimes, but usually it's expressed to my father (which is bad, he has that classic Sagittarian temper...). My last tantrum wasn't directed at anyone, it was a welling up of existential frustration. It happened recently when I stomped, punched, threw things around so hard I ended up with self injuries...
In fact, accidental self injuries due to my intense feelings are so common that they occur even in my sleep. Based on what I'm dreaming I may end up kicking and punching in my sleep, injuring my feet and hands if they end up striking the wall next to my bed or going through the bedhead. Luckily I've never injured anyone else, and in fact I have a fear of injuring others to the point that I shy away from physical confrontation as much as possible.

Unfortunately, your Venus is afflicted by a strong one degree opposition from Pluto in the 12th house of discontent and sorrow, with your Venus in the sixth house of sickness.

:( I feel this in relationships as every relationship is depressing... even when it's 'good', hence they don't really last. There is a strong desire for it, but I've began to acknowledge they are often to my detriment. My intensity is very entertaining but difficult to deal with.

Your Moon is not in hard aspect with Uranus although your Mercury is which makes you incredibly smart btw

I think I outsmart myself at times, and that's a problem. I never made that connection between Mercury and Uranus though, especially as a hard aspect I'd expect it to be deleterious. But then again, my intelligence does feel much against my own benefit.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Some additional potential contributory factors:

-Pluto, strong in the ascending sign, conjunct the ascending degree and further amplified by being retrograde (this is the view of Vedic astrology re to retrogrades, which I have now come to largely accept as accurate), Pluto opposed (partile) by strong (dignified by angularity and sign) Venus from the 7th house. and closely quincunx Moon (posited in the whole sign 6th house)
-Saturn close to conjuncting Uranus in the 2nd house (house of the development of mind according to Vedic astrology, as well as the other commonly known meanings of the 2nd house); Mercury-significator of mind in general-positing 8th whole sign house, in close opposition to Saturn; note also that Saturn is in an elevated degree of Sagittarius (being in an elevated degree can = amplification of saturnine qualities and characteristics) Note as well that Jupiter (6th whole sign house) closely connected with Saturn via a partile trine, is ALSO in an elevated degree: might this suggest extremes (due to elevated degrees) of depression (Saturn in elevated degree) alternating with joy, happiness (Jupiter in elevated degree)-possible indications contributory to a "bipolar" state?
-Dragon's Tail (SN) in the 12th house (restrictions, limitations, potential for self-undoing)
-Mars very significant: most elevated planet in the chart, in detriment in Cancer, but rescued from detriment and made highly significant as a chart factor by being in an elevated degree of Cancer, Mars dispositor of the ascendant + 6th whole sign house, dispositing Pluto, Jupiter, North Node, and in mutual reception with the Moon: note that the Moon is in a PITTED degree (block, inhibited): so we see a potential for excess of energies (manic phases?) from Mars being in an ELEVATED degree, along with (alternating with?) blockage/inhibition of (depression of?) energies (emotions particularly) from the Moon being in a PITTED degree (is "bipolarity" implied here, when taken together with the Saturn/Jupiter elevated degree implications mentioned above? perhaps...)
-atmakaraka (most symbolically significant planet in a chart) is Uranus: sudden changes and difficult-to-understand conditions (such as "bipolar affective disorder" as the MDs call it) come under the significations of Uranus

dioskouris

Account Closed
If you were born slightly earlier the square would be tighter, and the Moon & North node would be in the 6th house also.

BTW it is possible that this is true. I have been split between whether or not my moon is in the 5th or 6th house. But in whole signs my moon is in the 6th. Also my Moon rules the 6th, so perhaps that why?

dioskouris

Account Closed
The reason I am split is because I relate to "artistic" qualities of the fifth house (I'm an artist). I relate to the health issues of the 6th house Moon, my mind is very analytical, etc. but I hate routine though perhaps on a superficial level, as I often find the inconsistency of other people emotionally troubling. I don't have issues with my mother (beyond her being rather over sheltering), but perhaps a Jupiter and Venus 6th house would smooth that out.

poyi

Premium Member
You can always use both. Draw a Placidus but also counting the signs as houses. Placidus is Time specific and Whole sign is Space specific according to Bernadette Brady.

Vista

Mars rules your 6th house of health and it's very afflicted by aspect and debilitated by sign and house placement which would explain your health issues. I personally would view your Moon placed inside the 5th house.

The reason I am split is because I relate to "artistic" qualities of the fifth house (I'm an artist). I relate to the health issues of the 6th house Moon, my mind is very analytical, etc. but I hate routine though perhaps on a superficial level, as I often find the inconsistency of other people emotionally troubling. I don't have issues with my mother (beyond her being rather over sheltering), but perhaps a Jupiter and Venus 6th house would smooth that out.

Vista

It's more of a creative placement and you already have explanation for your health issues based on what I mentioned about your Mars. Also, but for using Whole House, your Moon is far enough away from the 6th house cusp that it couldn't be considered inside both. My Mars is in my 5th house right at 23:23 Leo, my 6th house cusp is at 23:37 Leo. I feel Mars in both houses natally and feel transits to Mars in both as well.

Why's that?

mdinaz

I've been looking toward myself and my chart to find the source of this problem - my "bipolarism", as it is officially diagnosed. I'm a Gemini, so when people find this superficial information about me they write it off as me being "just another Gemini", though I know better to think that my Sun doesn't have everything to do with my psychological make up. Earlier I used to blame my Mars, ruler of my ASC, in Fall... hence the temperamental nature of my Mars is rather quite evident. Place that at a fairly close square plus mutually receptive to my Aries Moon and naturally the emotional ebb and flow of my Cancer Mars becomes exigent. It's often too much to handle for me, too much to handle for others... and festivities such as Christmas and even my birthday become a torrential emotional whirlpool.

This is to say, am I correct at find the source of this 'debilitation'? Are there other factors involved I have left out? Are there any advice/lessons to be found in my astro-psychological make up?

I don't think it is bi-polarism as much as it is dealing with difficult emotions and trouble controlling your emotional reactions to what you think about.

Typically bi-polar shows up with a strong Mercury/Uranus opposition, but yours is pretty loose. You do have Chiron conjunct Mercury and both opposite Saturn/Uranus. With this placement, you continually dwell on the past and negative situations, and react to them in negative ways - such as something someone says triggers a memory so strongly that you "punish" the person who triggered it even though they have nothing to do with it. Moon in square to Neptune gives you very heightened sensitivity to others emotions but these senses are often wrong and reacting more to your own emotions than the other person. Mars being square Moon in Cancer just exacerbates the situation, blowing everything out of proportion. The Venus/Pluto opposition creates a feeling of insecurity and apprehension and with Pluto sesquiquadrate Chiron, this insecurity further triggers negative past memories and associations.

I find it a shame that doctors continue to prescribe powerful drugs to treat these things that are not chemical but psychological and can be dealt with in many ways not involving damaging drugs. The Node is binovile Mars and as this is part of your life path, perhaps 5th-house activities such as more exercise and vigorous work can help you balance your emotions.